PDA

View Full Version : It's A Gas Gas Gas!

oily oaf
2nd October 2007, 07:25
KABOOM!

Is this the sound that will greet me if I install the shiny new gas cooker that sits waiting patiently in the hall myself? :(
I've tried manfully to establish the legal position with regards to the job but I keep hitting brick walls.
Some people tell me that I MUST have it fitted by a CORGI approved gas fitting wallah while others have told me that as long as I consider myself "competent" to do the job and that I'm receiving no financial reward then I'm OK to crack on with the work.
Just to muddy the waters even more (muddy muddy) some other cheerful soul issued a dark warning that if I don't have the job done by a pro my buildings insurance will be rendered void in the event of a big bang although hopefully I will be in no position to care :angel:

As for the job itself it couldn't be simpler. There's a bayonet connection on one end of the flexi pipe which connects to the supply and a 1/2" male connector at t'other end which screws into the female fitting at the cooker.
Bit of PTFE gas tape round the male union, nip up the connection with my trusty adjustable, bit of Fairy Liquid round the joints to test for bubbles and the job's a good un :)
Just to be on the safe side I might call out the Gas Board and tell 'em I can smell gas. Then the poor unsuspecting fools will test my handiwork free and for nothing (throws back head and issues peal of maniacal laughter)

So whaddya say boys and boyarettes. Should I fly in the face of the doom and gloom merchants and by so doing cook my tripe and cow heels on a brand new stove tonight or wimp out and call in the top boys who will no doubt charge me a shedload of dosh for a 10 minute job.
You decide, but remember my life is on the line here so no pressure :s mokin:

(drums fingers impatiently on cat and eyes adjustable Stilsens wrench hungrily)

Rollo
2nd October 2007, 07:48
The title of this thread made me think of something entirely different:
The solution to the world's oil crisis is thus... Jumping Jack Flash!

You see, Jumping Jack Flash is a gas so therefore if we could somehow tap into a largish supply of Jumping Jack Flash then there'd be plenty of gas to go around. :D

With regards your problem, I think it probably best that you call in a professional and save your self the problem later, when over the Daily Mail and a cup of cocoa, you decide to light some Kendal No 6 Gold, you don't accidentally send that crispy duck in the oven across to number 33 by means of explosive action provided by Bang.

Personally I ensure safety in the kitchen with my gas oven by sub-contracting my cookery needs to Messers McDonald, Col Sanders and Jabba the Hut who I assume is the owner of that Italian place down on the high street.

Mark
2nd October 2007, 07:55
AFAIK, you can fit it yourself as long as you think of yourself as a competant person and don't charge.. yourself :s . However if you cause an explosion the police may be wanting proof as to why you consider yourself competant.. and they might not accept anything except a CORGI certificate!

Eki
2nd October 2007, 08:57
AFAIK, you can fit it yourself as long as you think of yourself as a competant person and don't charge.. yourself :s . However if you cause an explosion the police may be wanting proof as to why you consider yourself competant.. and they might not accept anything except a CORGI certificate!
Oily could explain that he thought he can fit it if he thinks himself as a continence person, and he's as good as continence as long as he wears his incontinence pants while doing the job.

CarlMetro
2nd October 2007, 09:52
This seems to give a good outline on the legalities.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.htm

It seems, as Mark has already said, so long as you are deemed a competant person ( :mark: ) and do not recieve any reward, either financial or other then you are able to carry out the installation yourself.

LotusElise
2nd October 2007, 10:18
Will it affect the warranty on the cooker at all? If it goes wrong, you'll have to shell out mucho moolah anyway if the warranty is void.

Hondo
2nd October 2007, 16:32
Why not have the heavily life insured missus start supper whilst you run a few errands away from the house?

oily oaf
2nd October 2007, 18:40
This seems to give a good outline on the legalities.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.htm

It seems, as Mark has already said, so long as you are deemed a competant person ( :mark: ) and do not recieve any reward, either financial or other then you are able to carry out the installation yourself.

Can't get the link to work Carl but thanks for taking the trouble to find it for me anyway. :up:
It's a crying shame that I can't pay myself aint it?
Surely a small gratuity of say £5.00 wouldn't be too much too ask would it? :mad:
I know I'll get myself a crate of Frosty Jack strong cider and half an ounce of Old Holborne. Yeah It's the least I can do.

Rollo. Thank God somebody spotted the fiendishly clever Rolling Stones analogy in the thread title. Blimey you must be getting on a bit squire.

Lotus Blossom. Yes you are maddeningly correct. Bloody women! (fume) The bumf that came with the cooker states that the warranty is indeed void if the cooker is not installed in accordance with current installation regs.
It also advises "WARNING! The use of a gas cooker results in the production of heat"
Blimey there's not much that escapes these boys is there?

Eki. You can rest assured that my incontinence pants will be strapped firmly in place when I light the inaugural burner (face starts to twitch uncontrollably) or maybe I should take Fiero's sound advice and nip down the pub while Mrs O. rustles up the Finnish Stew (it's like Irish Stew but much colder).

Right I shall now go into the kitchen and get down to business.
Suffice to say that if you never hear from me again you can jump confidently to the conclusion that I haven't been totally successful in my endeavour :bomb:

(picks up PTFE tape, pipe wrench, leak detector spray, wipes sweat from top lip and dawdles tentatively into kitchen)

No flowers please but a donation to The Whitechapel Home For Incinerated Mechanics would be gratefully accepted) :mad:

CarlMetro
2nd October 2007, 19:27
Right I shall now go into the kitchen and get down to business.

Hey, do you mind, this is a family forum ;)

Rollo
2nd October 2007, 23:49
Just to be on the safe side I might call out the Gas Board and tell 'em I can smell gas. Then the poor unsuspecting fools will test my handiwork free and for nothing (throws back head and issues peal of maniacal laughter)

They could connect it up but not unless it's an emergency and an emergency is form 290... 'where there is actual or apparent loss of combustible gaseous substances'.

What the Gas Board could do (and this is between you and me, I shouldn't really be telling you this), is they'll turn your gas on, make a hole in your pipe, you ring emergency and then they'll be around in a couple of days. 'One or more persons overcome by fumes' and they'd be round like a shot.

Although that's technically murder or suicide, in which case you need a form S42.

oily oaf
3rd October 2007, 07:39
Last nights dinner guests in jocular mood as they display a touching confidence in my burgeoning gas fitting talent

oily oaf
3rd October 2007, 17:23
Well it's been almost 24 hours since I fitted it and there doesn't seem to be any probl....