PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Supermarket?

RaikkonenRules
1st October 2007, 19:26
What is your favourite supermarket to shop in?

Mine is Waitrose since I go for quality over price. :D

Could we have a poll please?

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2007, 19:53
:erm:

Booths ;)

I always find the staff there very helpful and intelligent. Especially those who work on the butchers counter :o

BDunnell
1st October 2007, 20:06
Waitrose for me too.

Incidentally, the art critic Brian Sewell was asked on the radio a few years ago whether he had a favourite supermarket. He replied: 'I have a least favourite — the Sainsbury's SavaCentre in Colliers Wood. Mind you, it is very good for dog food.'

Langdale Forest
1st October 2007, 20:07
Asda, because you can buy almost anything there.

GridGirl
1st October 2007, 20:08
I shop at Tesco because its closest but if I were to pick a favourite it would be Sainbury's. Mind, if its a special shop its got to be Marks & Spencers every time. :)

schmenke
1st October 2007, 20:31
Sobeys :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2007, 20:52
You don't tend to get Waitrose in the North. But I bet most who don't live in the North West of England haven't even heard of Booths.

Booths was officially named as the worlds 2nd best food retailer.( I don't know what was 1st)

http://www.booths-supermarkets.co.uk/best.html

CCFanatic
1st October 2007, 21:02
I prefer to shop at the eveil Wal-Mart. Plus, I have an uncle who is the head of a store, so I get discounts on the stuff they sell. The workers are not intelligent or knowledgable about the stuff there, but the prices win me over anyday. No need to wait in line to check out.

BDunnell
1st October 2007, 21:14
You don't tend to get Waitrose in the North. But I bet most who don't live in the North West of England haven't even heard of Booths.

Booths was officially named as the worlds 2nd best food retailer.( I don't know what was 1st)

http://www.booths-supermarkets.co.uk/best.html

Indeed, I hadn't. Can't think off the top of my head of many such retailers in the south-east or East Anglia, the two areas I know best (other than Yorkshire, where I went to uni). Thank goodness some survive in the face of competition from the big guns.

CarlMetro
1st October 2007, 21:39
Tescos most of the time, Waitrose if I can be bothered to drive that far and M & S when I want to buy nice food :lips:

fandango
1st October 2007, 22:12
Mercadona.

jim mcglinchey
1st October 2007, 22:20
I

Mind, if its a special shop its got to be Marks & Spencers every time. :)

When I'm feeling flush, first stop Marksys...they even do some offers now.

CCFanatic
1st October 2007, 22:21
I might sound stupid or something, but I have not heard of any opf the supermarkets any of you have mentioned.

We have were I live:
Meijer- www.meijer.com (http://www.meijer.com)
Family Fare- www.familyfare.com (http://www.familyfare.com)
Kroger- www.kroger.com (http://www.kroger.com)
Wal Mart SuperCenters
K-Mart Supercenters.

schmenke
1st October 2007, 22:24
You haven't heard of Wallmart?! :s hock:

:p :

CCFanatic
1st October 2007, 22:27
You haven't heard of Wallmart?! :s hock:

:p :

Everyone's has heard of Sprawn Mart.

tinchote
1st October 2007, 22:31
The Real Canadian Superstore for me :)

And, please, if a poll is directed to members belonging to a certain country/region, I would think that it is fair to state so. Last time I checked this was an international forum ;)

jim mcglinchey
1st October 2007, 22:38
Everyone's has heard of Sprawn Mart.

But not everyone has seen "Wal Mart - The High Cost of Low Prices"...add that one to your list of must-see corporate crime DVDs.

CCFanatic
1st October 2007, 22:51
Lets keep this from a WalMart bashing.

Question about customer service and wages at British Supermarkets.
I have read people say that the people who work at the stores are knowledgable about, but do the people act like they enjoy working there? I have worked at a supermarket and hated it. Boring and monatnous.

What do people make at supermarkets, "over the pond"? I made $6.75/ hour. I was still young and drove my parents car, and just needed money to help with racing. Can you make a career out of working at those Supermarkets? I kow you cannot at American shops.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2007, 23:01
Lets keep this from a WalMart bashing.

Question about customer service and wages at British Supermarkets.
I have read people say that the people who work at the stores are knowledgable about, but do the people act like they enjoy working there? I have worked at a supermarket and hated it. Boring and monatnous.

What do people make at supermarkets, "over the pond"? I made $6.75/ hour. I was still young and drove my parents car, and just needed money to help with racing. Can you make a career out of working at those Supermarkets? I kow you cannot at American shops.

I was the one who said the staff at Booths are knowledgeable because I am one :o

I'm on £5.60/ hour as well as paid holiday, sick leave and yearly bonuses. I think that store managers get over £30,000 per year. Most of the staff there are students or people just earing a second income for the house.

I have heard that the 'shopfloor' staff at Aldi got over £7.00/ hour.

schmenke
1st October 2007, 23:06
The Real Canadian Superstore for me ...

That's where I buy my liquor :D

Storm
2nd October 2007, 03:53
I have only been to Asda and I think Sainsbury's from the list....and I liked Asda..basically it was just across the road from where I stayed and I was only in the country for 2 weeks :p :

But I have heard Tesco is good ?!

tinchote
2nd October 2007, 04:03
That's where I buy my liquor :D

You mean the Real Canadian Liquorstore ;) :D

It's funny, they don't have the liquorstore here in SK. I noticed one when we stopped at the Superstore in Airdrie, last August.

oily oaf
2nd October 2007, 06:28
Tescos Online because:

a) Some other poor sap has to cart my beers and scoff through the pissing rain.

and

b) The panels on my nice shiny motor remain free from gouges inflicted by "drivers" who couldn't find there ar$ole with both hands :)

(draws up chair and takes mouthfull of Tescos "value" muesli before vomitting into bucket) :(

Ian McC
2nd October 2007, 07:57
Tesco, well I would have to say that as the wife works for them :D

Mark
2nd October 2007, 09:50
Morrisons is the best, we had it on the team valley for a while. But then the government forced them to sell it to Sainsbury's.. expensive!

veeten
2nd October 2007, 17:08
my favorite supermarket, Giant Food.

http://www.giantfood.com/home :)

the other, Safeway.

www.safeway.com (http://www.safeway.com) :)

SOD
2nd October 2007, 17:25
Budgens Supermarket, Crouch End.

stevie_gerrard
2nd October 2007, 17:34
Sainsburys have done quite a few studnet type deals lately in Bristol as its right next door to UWE so ive been vbery grateful thanks to them that im being fed appropiately :D :p :

schmenke
2nd October 2007, 18:32
You mean the Real Canadian Liquorstore ;) :D

It's funny, they don't have the liquorstore here in SK. I noticed one when we stopped at the Superstore in Airdrie, last August.

I live 10 minutes from Airdrie. You should've dropped by ;) :arrows:
We could've visited the liquorstore in Panorama Hills :D

Drew
2nd October 2007, 18:33
I've never heard of budgens or booths.

I drive to tescos even though there is a morrisons just down the road that I could easily walk to :p :

oily oaf
2nd October 2007, 18:47
Sainsburys have done quite a few studnet type deals lately in Bristol as its right next door to UWE so ive been vbery grateful thanks to them that im being fed appropiately :D :p :

I was caught in a "studnet" last week Stevie. (curse those insatiable page 3 girls :mad: )

You might be being fed properly young man but I'd bin your spelling tutor if I were you matey ;)

I'd be "vbery grateful" if you'd sort yerself out my son.

RaikkonenRules
2nd October 2007, 18:48
Can't believe I'm the only one who's voted for Waitrose.

GridGirl
2nd October 2007, 19:08
Maybe Waitrose is more of a localised supermarket. I know I've never been in one and I don't think I've even seen one to be honest. We only just got Morrisons round these parts when it took over Safeways a couple of years ago and I've only ever seen a Booths in rural areas.

Drew
2nd October 2007, 19:15
I've never been to waitrose, but isn't it a bit expensive and a bit exclusive?

Plus I don't think there are all that many around...

RaikkonenRules
2nd October 2007, 19:52
Maybe Waitrose is more of a localised supermarket. I know I've never been in one and I don't think I've even seen one to be honest. We only just got Morrisons round these parts when it took over Safeways a couple of years ago and I've only ever seen a Booths in rural areas.

You've never seen a Waitrose? What part of Britain do you live.

I've never been to waitrose, but isn't it a bit expensive and a bit exclusive?

Plus I don't think there are all that many around...

It's rarer than the other 4 main UK supermarkets but there's 3 very close to me in Newark, Lincoln and Nottingham. Then there's not another one for miles. They tend to be in the more upmarket towns, you never see them in the known chav hotspots. :p :

tinchote
2nd October 2007, 19:52
I live 10 minutes from Airdrie. You should've dropped by ;) :arrows:
We could've visited the liquorstore in Panorama Hills :D

You don't know what you are asking for. We had been in the highway for more than 8 hours, with almost no stops. The four cuties were kind of anxious... ;) :D And we still had about an hour to get to the campground in Kananaskis.

nicemms
2nd October 2007, 21:26
Sainsburys!

They are just good quality, nice stores and not too bad prices.

GridGirl
2nd October 2007, 22:13

I went on the Waitrose website and there only appears to be 4 Waitrose supermarkets within the West Midlands as a county, yet there's 7 Tesco stores within 5 miles and 20 Sainsbury's stores within 10 miles of my house. No wonder I've never noticed Waitrose. :p

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd October 2007, 22:52
I've only ever seen Waitrose when I've been 'down south'. Maybe they don't come 'up north' because they couldn't compete with the quality produce and high level of customer service provided by Booths :p I would tell a customer how to pork fillet even though I don't know how to cook myself. That's because we are that kind of shop :)

Drew
3rd October 2007, 00:05

It's rarer than the other 4 main UK supermarkets but there's 3 very close to me in Newark, Lincoln and Nottingham. Then there's not another one for miles. They tend to be in the more upmarket towns, you never see them in the known chav hotspots. :p :

There are 3 Waitrose stores in Devon and none in North Wales. I can tell you there are 3 tescos in Plymouth alone :p :

slinkster
3rd October 2007, 11:54
My parents used to shop at Waitrose... it really does beat all the other stores hands down in my opinion. I'd definitely say it was my favorite BUT we're far too poor to shop there anymore and have to put up with crappy Asda.

My favorite to shop in, that we can afford is probably Morrissons. It's pretty reasonable.

BDunnell
3rd October 2007, 12:03

I must correct you there, alas. There is a Waitrose in the small Surrey town in which I work, a place which is not known for its lack of chavs. It used to be a Safeway, but was thankfully one of the stores taken over by Waitrose rather than Morrisons.

Daniel
3rd October 2007, 12:04
There are 3 Waitrose stores in Devon and none in North Wales. I can tell you there are 3 tescos in Plymouth alone :p :
Unfortunately our nearest Sainsbury's here in North Wales is on the outskirts of Rhyl :uhoh: But at least the chavs mainly go to Asda and Morrisons.

RaikkonenRules
3rd October 2007, 16:20
The only other supermarket in Newark other than Waitrose is Morrisons but there's a Sainsbury's coming soon.

suzy m
3rd October 2007, 19:30
I work in a supermarket, but am not loyal to it (too expensive even with staff discount). I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to supermarket shopping as all have their pluses and minuses. Tesco are trying to take over the world but are cheap, decent quality and decent service. Asda are dirt cheap but always have massive queues at the tills and the store is that big I get lost in it. Sainsburys and Waitrose are too much of a pain to park at to bother with. And I always get lost going to Morrisons. :p :

suzy m
3rd October 2007, 19:38
I've never heard of budgens

It's a chain of supermarkets, based mostly in the south and midlands of England. The brand is owned by an Irish family/company called Musgrave who also own the Londis brand. Few of the stores now actually belong to Musgrave as they are being sold off as franchises. Stores tend to be high street/large housing estate based - not out of town as the company philosophy is all about being local and part of the community.

RaikkonenRules
4th October 2007, 21:36
Surprise, surprise Aldi haven't been voted once yet :p : They really are rubbish aren't they? :D

allycat228
5th October 2007, 01:11
Booths are B****y expensive especially when its the only big supermarket that is allowed in your town, I use tesco online i only use booths when i have to

veeten
5th October 2007, 01:12
Surprise, surprise Aldi haven't been voted once yet :p : They really are rubbish aren't they? :D

it's just for those on the dole, that's all ;) :p :