PDA

View Full Version : Smoking raised to 18

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 12:50
I didn't know this but apparently the legal age of smoking went to 18 today.

They sneaked that one in didn't they?

Drew
1st October 2007, 13:08
Kind of, the only reason I knew is because there were signs in the supermarket.

I'm not sure it'll make a huge amount of difference.

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 13:15
Kind of, the only reason I knew is because there were signs in the supermarket.

I'm not sure it'll make a huge amount of difference.

Sadly I think you are right. i just wonder what percentage of people started smoking before they were 16 anyway.

Mark
1st October 2007, 13:18
Well at least it will stop 14 and 15 year olds claiming they are 16. And it makes life easier for shopkeepers as they just have to think of one age, i.e. 18.

Hondo
1st October 2007, 13:32
It's 18 for as long as I remember in the states. It was 18 when I started at 14 but nobody cared. Plus, there were cigarette vending machines everywhere too.
I also don't know if that applies to all tobacco products. When I started I bought some stuff called Bugler. It was loose tobacco in a pouch and came with cigarette papers but because it was loose, it was taxed at a lower rate and exempt from some other laws. With a rolling machine, you could get about 80 cigarettes out of a 12 cent pack of Bugler as opposed to 25 cents for a pack of 20 cigarettes.

Drew
1st October 2007, 13:36
Mark makes a good point, there is then just one age. However you'll still have 16/17 year olds pretending to be 18 or 18 and overs buying cigarettes for under 18s, even if there are extortionate fines for doing so.

I don't know if this ever happens in the UK, but in Germany they had cigarette vending machines where you had to put your driving license in to prove your age.

Hondo
1st October 2007, 13:39
They may still have them in bars, but I haven't seen a cigarette vending machine in at least 10 years.

Mark
1st October 2007, 13:40
I think making it 18 effectively raises the age to 16/17 which is where they wanted it in the first place!

Many newsagents are going to lose a bit of money from 15 year olds coming in to buy 10 Lambert & Butler.

BDunnell
1st October 2007, 13:47
I don't know if this ever happens in the UK, but in Germany they had cigarette vending machines where you had to put your driving license in to prove your age.

I've never seen one of those! A five-year-old could have bought fags from the German vending machines that used to be on street corners in every small town, but which you don't see as many of nowadays.

dime3
1st October 2007, 13:57
Well I think its a good thing.

If people want to smoke thats fine, but kids tend to follow the crowd rather than make up their own mind. This gives them an extra year or two to think about it.

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 14:21
It would be nice to raise the actual age above 16 butI doubt this will make much difference.

Why I'm not a great beliver in central government nanny state, I do see merit in banning some things such as heroin and I feel the same about tobacco. It has no physical benefit apart from raising taxes.

Mark
1st October 2007, 14:27
From BBC News

"I'll just get my mum to go out and get them for me," she says. "She won't mind. I have tried to stop, but I can't. ".

:crazy:

schmenke
1st October 2007, 14:34
It's 18 for as long as I remember in the states. ...

Same in Canada.

rah
1st October 2007, 14:53
Same in Canada.
Same in most countries I thought. You need photo ID to get them here.

dime3
1st October 2007, 14:56
From BBC News
:crazy:
:confused: What can you say to that??? :eek:

CarlMetro
1st October 2007, 16:30
Stop pi**ing about with banning it in public places, raising the age limit and banning all motorists from smoking in their own cars and just ban all tobacco products full stop. If this, or any other government is that serious about wanting people to stop smoking then just ban it altogether.

I'm getting sick of all the half measures, if you want something to stop, then stop it straight away, don't keep pussy-footing around.

Hondo
1st October 2007, 17:00
Stop pi**ing about with banning it in public places, raising the age limit and banning all motorists from smoking in their own cars and just ban all tobacco products full stop. If this, or any other government is that serious about wanting people to stop smoking then just ban it altogether.

I'm getting sick of all the half measures, if you want something to stop, then stop it straight away, don't keep pussy-footing around.

The UK earned £8.0 billion from tobacco revenue in fiscal year 2005-2006.

Any volunteers to make up that amount of money with a complete ban?

Thats why they don't stop it. First of all, they can't anymore than they can stop drugs or booze.

Second, the halfway measures are to delude you into believing that they are trying to do something about it.

Third, people that make laws smoke too.

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 17:57

Agree. Lets get rid of this killer.

Dan Eaves Fan
1st October 2007, 19:34
I didn't know this but apparently the legal age of smoking went to 18 today.

They sneaked that one in didn't they?

I work in a supermarket and have heard nothing else but that since january.

I doubt alot of people will know because they dont read the signs that are put up around shops.

BDunnell
1st October 2007, 19:42
Second, the halfway measures are to delude you into believing that they are trying to do something about it.

But they are. There is genuinely a motivation to try and stop people smoking, for obvious reasons. I believe that the reason for not going for an outright ban has nothing to do with the revenue raised from tobacco in the UK, but because any sensible government would realise that this is impossible. Therefore, something is better than nothing.

Third, people that make laws smoke too.

Very true. This won't stop a lot of politicians who smoke wanting to restrict or ban it, though, because they would rather give up too.

As an aside, whenever people start going on about British politicians being 'anti-car', they ought to realise that those same politicians also drive, so can't ever be too anti-car. The truth is that they aren't really.

fandango
1st October 2007, 22:16
They may still have them in bars, but I haven't seen a cigarette vending machine in at least 10 years.

They must all be here...

Mark
2nd October 2007, 08:26
They were on TV last night about health authorities not giving operations to people who smoke, even for unrealted issues such as dodgy hips.

I believe soon it will be the case that they will refuse to treat you at all if you smoke..

leopard
2nd October 2007, 08:41
Cigar banned opium not

Mark
2nd October 2007, 08:52
Note that I believe as the law stands it is illegal for under 18's to buy cigarettes, it's not illegal to smoke them.

CarlMetro
2nd October 2007, 09:16
In the same way as it's illegal to possess cannabis but not to smoke it? :crazy:

LotusElise
2nd October 2007, 10:21
I thought that it was legal as long as it was for "personal use" only now? The drugs laws here are so confusing sometimes.

For purely selfish reasons, I'm all for smoking restrictions and anything which might restrict the number of smokers. I hate cigarette smoke with a vengeance.
(Before the inevitable happens, I'm aware of all the tax money blah blah blah, that's why I said selfish reasons.) ;)

Mark
2nd October 2007, 10:28
I thought that it was legal as long as it was for "personal use" only now? The drugs laws here are so confusing sometimes.

No, it's still illegal. Just that you probably won't be arrested for it. What the difference is I don't know :p

Camelopard
2nd October 2007, 11:57

For purely selfish reasons, I'm all for smoking restrictions and anything which might restrict the number of smokers. I hate cigarette smoke with a vengeance.
(Before the inevitable happens, I'm aware of all the tax money blah blah blah, that's why I said selfish reasons.) ;)

Agreed, I'm glad to be able to go to pubs/clubs as a non smoker and not end up smelling like an overflowing ashtray.

LotusElise
2nd October 2007, 12:42
Doesn't it make hangovers so much more bearable as well? No sore throats or bagel-like eyes any more...

stevie_gerrard
2nd October 2007, 17:26
i only realised because of the supermarket signs. I dont smoke but my brother has recently and hes not impressed being 17 and unable to buy any cigarettes anymore.

I think they should raise the age even further, because in my opinion, its a dirty habit that shouldnt be allowed at all.

Drew
2nd October 2007, 18:31
Doesn't it make hangovers so much more bearable as well? No sore throats or bagel-like eyes any more...

Very very true and you can wear you clothes again without smelling like a havana cigar factory :up:

But, I don't really think cigarettes should be banned. If that person is aware of the risks, it should be their own personal choice.

Hazell B
2nd October 2007, 19:46
I dont smoke but my brother has recently and hes not impressed being 17 and unable to buy any cigarettes anymore.

That's why it's only illegal to buy them, not smoke them, for 16 to 18 year olds. They can't suddenly expect people hooked to stop or be law breakers, so they simply said you cannot purchase them yourself.

Within a three year period, my guess is the age at which you can smoke will alter to 18, then leap to 21 for buying them in another year or two. Eventually it'll be 21 to smoke, too.

Mark
3rd October 2007, 08:08
I don't understand the whole 21 thing. Either you are a responsible adult who can do what they want at 18, or you aren't. There shouldn't be a 3 year fudge in the middle!

To my mind there is a world of difference between being 16 and 18, but a much smaller difference between 18 and 21.

BDunnell
3rd October 2007, 09:50
I don't understand the whole 21 thing. Either you are a responsible adult who can do what they want at 18, or you aren't. There shouldn't be a 3 year fudge in the middle!

To my mind there is a world of difference between being 16 and 18, but a much smaller difference between 18 and 21.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 21 is the age of responsibility/consent for anything at the moment, is it?

BeansBeansBeans
3rd October 2007, 09:54
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 21 is the age of responsibility/consent for anything at the moment, is it?

Not in the UK (that I know of).

There are some bars / clubs with an Over-21 door policy. But obviously this is nothing to do with the Government.

LotusElise
3rd October 2007, 15:53
I think it's more to do with keeping "chavs" out. I'm not sure it works.

Hazell B
3rd October 2007, 21:43
I don't understand the whole 21 thing.

Me neither, but it's just the traditional 'special' birthdays and for some reason we see 21 as sane and sensible adulthood far more than 18 often as not. Anyway, it was just what I think will happen.

To be honest, I see drinking as being another thing the age limit may be raised on - depending on who we get in to power - with under 21's not allowed to use bars for 3 years, then not allowed to buy booze at all after that. They'll just be allowed to do as 15 year old's do now, and drink in parks and on the streets then :rolleyes:

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd October 2007, 21:47
The national minimum wage for 21 year olds is higher than it is for 18 :s

leopard
4th October 2007, 05:24
I think 21 is the minimum age for smoking, Student normally graduated from 3 years diploma at 21 and started to work for themselves, the rules for which myself have complied with.

Drew
4th October 2007, 12:10
Where do you live leopardsleeping?

leopard
5th October 2007, 04:38
Have you been smoking Drew? ;) :s mokin:

dime3
14th November 2007, 19:35
In the same way as it's illegal to possess cannabis but not to smoke it? :crazy: One of those funny laws that! :confused: :)

ArrowsFA1
15th November 2007, 09:03
I see drinking as being another thing the age limit may be raised on
I'm sure it will be. Attitudes to drinking are going the same way as smoking.

leopard
15th November 2007, 09:07
Currently how old limitation for drinking? It's vague here around me :D

Drew
15th November 2007, 15:22
In the UK you have to be 18 to buy alcohol :)

leopard
16th November 2007, 03:15
Here you could be lower than 18 to buy it for cleaning purpose :)