Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 12:35
Button

Ranger
1st October 2007, 12:38
Alonso

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 12:54
Actually, I wonder is Ron will do a straight swap with HK? Alonso will be happier with no competition and HK would fit in well and work well with Lewis.

ShiftingGears
1st October 2007, 12:55
Alonso

Hawkmoon
1st October 2007, 13:02
Alonso.

janneppi
1st October 2007, 13:05
Poll added :)

Hondo
1st October 2007, 13:13
I think it will be Alonso although I voted for Webber because I'd like to see the man in a competative team. In reality, I can't see Red Bull letting Webber go and I sure can't see Flav parting with Heikki.

Ian McC
1st October 2007, 13:50
J V ! ;)

Mintexmemory
1st October 2007, 13:56
Actually, I wonder is Ron will do a straight swap with HK? Alonso will be happier with no competition and HK would fit in well and work well with Lewis.
Sir you and I are as one mind (start worrying :D )

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 14:03
Sir you and I are as one mind (start worrying :D )

I thought that Ron might prefer Button for his stability and speed but he's getting reckless in his own age.

Celebrity wife sway anyone :D

trumperZ06
1st October 2007, 15:37

;) Hhmmm.... MAYBE !!!

:p : And to insure there's no threat to Alonso... Fisi gets to drive again next year.

bblocker68
1st October 2007, 15:58
LOL, good one.

Varsha and the boys keep bringing up Rosberg, so I wonder if they have some inside info on the situation???

Crank
1st October 2007, 16:37
JPM was kicked out from McLaren for much less than Alonso has made with the Stepneygate and the press...so I would think it would go down to money, and we all know money is not an issue for Ron when pride is on the line.

As for Rosberg, he's a great friend of Lewis form their GP2 days, so a personal battle is highly unlikely, which will result in a battle in the track, where we all love to see guys fighting each other.

Trqster
1st October 2007, 17:03
Rosberg would be the perfect team-mate for Hamilton and McLaren- a friendly, low-profile and supportive 2nd driver for Hamilton in his quest for the 2nd consecutive WDC crown..hehe...

Seriously, unless there is a major surprise I can only see Rosberg as a McLaren driver for several reasons: value/talent relation, German nationality and low profile attitude driver, just like McLaren likes.

Trqster
1st October 2007, 17:05
Rosberg would be the perfect team-mate for Hamilton and McLaren- a friendly, low-profile and supportive 2nd driver for Hamilton in his quest for the 2nd consecutive WDC crown..hehe...

Seriously, unless there is a major surprise I can only see Rosberg as a McLaren driver for several reasons: value/talent relation, German nationality and low profile attitude driver, just like McLaren likes - after the JPM/Alonso failed experience I'm not seeing Ron Dennis accepting another "charismatic" driver in the team.

CarlMetro
1st October 2007, 17:14
Montoya ;)

Crank
1st October 2007, 18:15
Montoya ;)

Ohh c'mon Carl don't pour salt on that wound...

jens
1st October 2007, 19:32
Ralf Schumacher!!!! :D

Realistically speaking, Webber's or Button's appearance at McLaren next year is close to impossible. Rosberg or Kovalainen - both have arguably contracts with their current teams that haven't been announced. Would McLaren buy one of them out of contract? Frank has said that Rosberg won't be sold at any costs, but on the other hand he said the same about Button back in 2005...

I think de la Rosa and Paffett can't be totally ruled out too. McLaren thought Pedro was good enough to replace Montoya and he was strongest rival to Hamilton in the fight for 2007 race seat at McLaren.

Outside bet - GP2 champion Timo Glock. ;)

Ian McC
1st October 2007, 23:32
DC, next year is going to be his year!

ozrevhead
1st October 2007, 23:54
I think it will be Alonso although I voted for Webber because I'd like to see the man in a competative team. In reality, I can't see Red Bull letting Webber go and I sure can't see Flav parting with Heikki.
whoever goes there will be forced to be Lewis's lap dog

no thanks!

markabilly
2nd October 2007, 01:51
whoever goes there will be forced to be Lewis's lap dog

no thanks!
That is who I wanted to vote for, too....guess that falls under "someone else"...................... :rolleyes: although I did look for categories of useless drivers or recycled drivers as RD calls them

Hawkmoon
2nd October 2007, 03:12
That is who I wanted to vote for, too....guess that falls under "someone else"...................... :rolleyes: although I did look for categories of useless drivers or recycled drivers as RD calls them

That's ol' Ron's problem, isn't it? He either goes for another rookie or for one of those "recycled" types that he professes to dislike so much.

Now, I very much doubt that he has another Hamilton up his sleeve so going with a rookie will leave McLaren exposed to inexperience. I know Hamilton hasn't suffered from that this year but Alonso's input has to have gone someway to alleviating any growing pains on Boy Wonder's part. Hamilton will have to lead the team next year and Ron would have to be very confident in Hamilton's leadership and technical skills to stick a rookie alongside him.

Personally, I would stick Alonso on gardening leave and put De La Rosa in the car. A nice, safe, experienced hand to backup Hamilton's bid for a probable second WDC.

rah
2nd October 2007, 03:16
That's ol' Ron's problem, isn't it? He either goes for another rookie or for one of those "recycled" types that he professes to dislike so much.

Now, I very much doubt that he has another Hamilton up his sleeve so going with a rookie will leave McLaren exposed to inexperience. I know Hamilton hasn't suffered from that this year but Alonso's input has to have gone someway to alleviating any growing pains on Boy Wonder's part. Hamilton will have to lead the team next year and Ron would have to be very confident in Hamilton's leadership and technical skills to stick a rookie alongside him.

Personally, I would stick Alonso on gardening leave and put De La Rosa in the car. A nice, safe, experienced hand to backup Hamilton's bid for a probable second WDC.

Ahh now that makes sense, good post.

I voted for Alonso, but Pedro is a good idea.

Roamy
2nd October 2007, 05:50
well it is going to be fun watching all the moves now - should start in the coming weeks

raikk
2nd October 2007, 07:31
Raikkonen ;)

seriously it's 50%Alonso
30%Rosberg
10% Button
10% someone else

Mark
2nd October 2007, 08:19
Rosberg or Kovalainen - both have arguably contracts with their current teams that haven't been announced. Would McLaren buy one of them out of contract?

McLaren won't need to buy Kovalainen out. They will offer Alonsos contract to Renault in exchange for Kovalainen. In fact neither driver would actually need to go outside of their contracts, both could stay contracted to their own teams but come to a seperate agreement to be 'loaned' out to other teams.

I believe something similar happened when Button was loaned to Renault from Williams.

janneppi
2nd October 2007, 08:45
Who would pay for possible contractual point or WDC bonuses? :p :

Mark
2nd October 2007, 08:48
Pino :D

leopard
2nd October 2007, 08:52
It suffices to buy new short pants ;)

rohanweb
2nd October 2007, 08:56
I think it will be Jenson Button ( lets give Jenson a break to win some races atlast..he is getting old)

Dave B
2nd October 2007, 10:09
Vill... only joking.

I still reckon Alonso will stay. Currently the only "top" team with a free seat is Toyota, and I use the word "top" advisedly because I can't see them offering Fernando the chance of winning races, never mind a title.

Renault could easily clear a space for him, and would dearly love to do so, but again they're not in a championship-winning position. Briatore has made no secret of his love for Alonso, but would the Spaniard really want the hassle of helping the team regroup?

I'm pretty sure that over the winter things will settle down and Alonso will stay.

Mark
2nd October 2007, 10:13
Renault could easily clear a space for him, and would dearly love to do so, but again they're not in a championship-winning position. Briatore has made no secret of his love for Alonso, but would the Spaniard really want the hassle of helping the team regroup?

Aren't they? They won the championship in 2005 and 2006, who's to say they cannot do so in 2008? McLaren in recent years had been showing similar form what Renault is now, so things can turn around pretty quickly.

janneppi
2nd October 2007, 10:22
The impression i have from got from Alonso is that he could sacrifice next year concerning a winning car, he has said he needs the experience from a non TC car.

Mintexmemory
2nd October 2007, 10:43
Alonso quoted as saying he will not be with Mclaren next year.
IMHO this indicates a direct swap with Renault, signalling the retirement of Fisi (if he has any self respect)

As for the rest of the field it's about time other teams looked for genuinely hungry talent rather than keep ploughing unproductive furrows

The field now consists of:
True WDC competitors -FA, LH, KR ,FM,
Nearly men who are occupying seats on past rep but are never really going to challenge again (or for the 1st time)- Trulli, Button, Webber, DC
Guys who might do it in a different car e.g Heidfeld, Kubica, Liuzzi
Obvious talent that should move up -Rosberg, Vettel, Sutil
Then there are the Sato and Wurz types
Kovaleinen is the one who is the enigma. I think he's the best fit for Mclaren and I would fully expect an equal driver status to start the season (always difficult since the only other active ex-WDC is the bloke jumping ship)

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2007, 11:13

Whered you get that from? It isn't on Crash.net or autosport.

CarlMetro
2nd October 2007, 11:25

No he hasn't. What he has said however is:

"If we are not together next season and I can go to a good car, then great. If we have to carry on together then we will have another great battle."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7022171.stm

Which is him saying he doesn't want to be in the same team as Lewis, not that he wants to leave McLaren.

555-04Q2
2nd October 2007, 11:44
Alonso guys.

AJP
2nd October 2007, 22:46
get Webber into the car...let him have a few hard earned podiums and maybe a race win...might be a bit hard though with his previous relations with Mercedes...

nigelred5
2nd October 2007, 22:49
It will have to be someone willing to play second fiddle to Hamilton, even though McLaren always claims equal treatment for it's drivers. I'd rather see Nico go somewhere he can shine. I just think it's clear with all the time and $ Dennis has invested in Hamilton, he is going to be their primary focus for a few years to come.

wmcot
2nd October 2007, 22:49
Alonso for 2 reasons:

1. He has a year on his contract and Ron will want a fortune to buy it out and

2. Ron will use the year to teach both drivers who's really in charge! ;)

markabilly
3rd October 2007, 02:49
Alonso for 2 reasons:

1. He has a year on his contract and Ron will want a fortune to buy it out and

2. Ron will use the year to teach both drivers who's really in charge! ;)
Maybe FA is just trying to blackmail rd with some bs about wanting to stay, to make rd cave in.....

however, my vote is as suggested above....a lap dog for LH

now the question is are lap dogs considered to be Finnish or some other nationality?????

philipbain
3rd October 2007, 09:46
Perhaps someone young and German to keep Merc happy might be a good bet for the 2nd McLaren seat should Alonso go, Timo Glock? Adrian Sutil?

Mintexmemory
3rd October 2007, 14:52
What nationality is Vettel (serious brain fade at the moment)
Failing that what about Hulkenberg, a definite racer who will go far.
Now Lewis and a German in the Mclaren team, that wouldn't provoke too many controversies, would it ;)

markabilly
3rd October 2007, 19:50
What nationality is Vettel (serious brain fade at the moment)
Failing that what about Hulkenberg, a definite racer who will go far.
Now Lewis and a German in the Mclaren team, that wouldn't provoke too many controversies, would it ;)

Not as long as he is a good lap dog, and knows his place behind the coach's son :D

I would hire Sutile--showed some flair this year....but that kind of talent probably would not make a good lap dog

fandango
3rd October 2007, 19:53
Is Heidfeld sworn to BMW for 08? He used to be a McLaren young driver in F3000, but was passed over when they chose Raikkonen from Sauber.

I reckon it'll be Alonso, though. One thing, are people sure the McLaren is the car to be in next year? Won't they be a tad lacking in development funds? Ditto for contract buyouts. I'm sure they won't be poor, but they might be lacking a certain edge.

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 19:59
Is Heidfeld sworn to BMW for 08? He used to be a McLaren young driver in F3000, but was passed over when they chose Raikkonen from Sauber.

I reckon it'll be Alonso, though. One thing, are people sure the McLaren is the car to be in next year? Won't they be a tad lacking in development funds? Ditto for contract buyouts. I'm sure they won't be poor, but they might be lacking a certain edge.

Not if Renault 'buy' Alonso out of his contract. Remember that the McLaren group is debt free, and have already gone on record that the fine will not affect the racing/development budget.

If McLaren feel the need to keep the Santander sponsorship, they need to keep the spaniard in the team - he'd make a great test driver..........

Mintexmemory
3rd October 2007, 20:08
Sure they will lose Santander backing if they junk Fernando but they will certainly attract massive UK finance to support the WDC's team (counting chickens). Mercedes are going nowhere and would probably be keen to see a German on board (more Rottweiler than lapdog methinks) alongside LH.
So shortage of finance is not going to be a problem, despite the costly process of demonstrating to the Max thought police that there are no Ferrari parts on the car. I forsee evolution of the current model with simultaneous development of the non-TC car.
Can't wait for TC to go as real drivers will have a huge advantage ;)

seppefan
4th October 2007, 11:01
I see Alonso Kovalainen swap for 08

SGWilko
4th October 2007, 11:12
Sure they will lose Santander backing if they junk Fernando but they will certainly attract massive UK finance to support the WDC's team (counting chickens). Mercedes are going nowhere and would probably be keen to see a German on board (more Rottweiler than lapdog methinks) alongside LH.
So shortage of finance is not going to be a problem, despite the costly process of demonstrating to the Max thought police that there are no Ferrari parts on the car. I forsee evolution of the current model with simultaneous development of the non-TC car.
Can't wait for TC to go as real drivers will have a huge advantage ;)

Stick Pedro in the other car then. Keeps the bankers happy.

Ranger
4th October 2007, 11:52
Stick Pedro in the other car then. Keeps the bankers happy.
Pedro seemed like a nice guy when he was racing last year, but then again... you'd assume that McLaren want to win the WCC next year. Sure it's nice to have a #2 driver to support the team's #1, a la Barrichello, but McLaren sure aren't going to get much effectiveness out of someone who has been beaten in the same team by the likes of Irvine and Verstappen.

If Alonso leaves, at least McLaren and Lewis would want a lapdog, not a muppet.

I am evil Homer
4th October 2007, 14:24
Not if Renault 'buy' Alonso out of his contract. Remember that the McLaren group is debt free, and have already gone on record that the fine will not affect the racing/development budget.

If McLaren feel the need to keep the Santander sponsorship, they need to keep the spaniard in the team - he'd make a great test driver..........

Where does it say the Santander relationship is reliant on Alonso? They also own Abbey in the UK who are using Hamilton is all their advertising so I doubt they'd stop.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th October 2007, 12:03
What are Gary Paffets chances like?

truefan72
9th October 2007, 12:21
I don't think LH has ever asked to be treated as an undisputed number 1 at Mcclaren. He feels strongly enough about doing his job on the track and expecting a straight fighrt from anyone. I don't think that if Rosberg joins the outfit, he or anybody else would become an automatic #2. Besides Rosberg is really good and if McClaren maintain their pace next year will surely win a few races.

It is absolutely of no benefit to have the team only have one top driver. Save the stepneygate fiasco, I dare say that from a business/advertiser/marketing pov this year would have been a financial bonanza for Mcclaren.

WCC, 1-2 finish in WDC = money, money, money
if they can get a top 1-2 next year again.( and if it isn't Alonso) then we could expect and hope for a similar situation as that in Ferrari, two drivers capable of winning races and driving against each other. Only with 2 races to go did Massa agree to help out his teamate as he had been eliminated from contention. It seems to me that Ferrari have figured out how to make it work with 2 top drivers. Mostly because the drivers don't feel they have to step on the other ones throat to get ahead, or becuase one driver feels entitlted despite the result...