View Full Version : The championship mathematics

Mark
1st October 2007, 11:04
Hamilton 107
Alonso -12
Raikkonen -17

Hamilton can be champion in China if.
- He finishes ahead of Alonso
- He finished behind but loses no more than one point. e.g. 7th & 8th.

Alonso can keep the championship alive if.
- He scores 2 more points than Lewis. If he does so it will put him exactly 10 points behind, they currently have 4 wins each.

Raikkonen can keep the championship alive if
- He wins and Hamilton finishes 8th or worse.

This is by no means exhaustive, please add your own permutations.

Garry Walker
1st October 2007, 11:09

6th you meant.

Unfortunately it seems The Golden Boy has the title pretty much locked up.

Donney
1st October 2007, 11:17
Alonso can win if a miracle happens, and it does not seem likely.

Garry Walker
1st October 2007, 11:21
and it does not seem likely.

Lets hope so :up:

ioan
1st October 2007, 11:34
Hamilton 107
Alonso -12
Raikkonen -17

Hamilton can be champion in China if.
- He finishes ahead of Alonso
- He finished behind but loses no more than one point. e.g. 7th & 8th.

Alonso can keep the championship alive if.
- He scores 2 more points than Lewis. If he does so it will put him exactly 10 points behind, they currently have 4 wins each.

This is by no means exhaustive, please add your own permutations.

There are lot's of different possibilities, but there's little use to expose them anymore.

2 DNF's in a row or very low point finishes for LH are the only chance for another driver to win it.

The tainted title will be handed out and the commercial rights holders will be happy filling their pockets while we will decide to follow F1 even less.

jens
1st October 2007, 11:45
Basically the only thing that still can stop Hamilton from winning, is that if he happens to have two retirements or totally troubled races in a row. Given McLaren's reliability and Hamilton's errorfree racing, it has to be a really rude unluck that must take the title away from him.

Anyway, the battle between Alonso and Räikkönen for second is also interesting. Arguably on the last two circuits Ferrari is expected be quicker and if the car stays in one piece, KR might well finish second in the WDC - so that would already be his third 2nd placing in the overall standings...

jwhite9185
1st October 2007, 12:37
I seem to remember Schumacher was in a similar situation to Hamilton this time last season, and look how that turned out!

ArrowsFA1
1st October 2007, 12:43
...we will decide to follow F1 even less.
Speak for yourself :s mokin: Stepneygate may have damaged F1, and tested my patience, but before any of that came to light Hamilton had already shown himself to be the most exciting rookie to appear in F1 since I've been watching, and that takes in about 30yrs :eek:

From the very first race of the year he made F1 worth watching again, worth getting up in the middle of the night to watch races, and the idea of doing that had been wearing thin for some time.

It will be a superb, remarkable, and astonishing achievement if he wins the WDC, and most of all it will be thoroughly deserved.

ShiftingGears
1st October 2007, 12:49
I seem to remember Schumacher was in a similar situation to Hamilton this time last season, and look how that turned out!

Bang on there. However the chances of those events unfolding were impossibly slim and again the chance of Hamilton conceding 12 points to Alonso or 17 points to Raikkonen is minute. Though I hope through some extraordinary chain of events that Kimi is champion.

Hondo
1st October 2007, 12:51
Kimi could also win the title if Alonso wins the title. There's not a doubt in my mind that if Alonso wins the title, Max will find additional cause to also strip McLaren's drivers of their points also. Probably already has the paper work typed up.

J4MIE
1st October 2007, 13:18
Cheers for that :up:

trumperZ06
1st October 2007, 16:25
Speak for yourself :s mokin: Stepneygate may have damaged F1, and tested my patience, but before any of that came to light Hamilton had already shown himself to be the most exciting rookie to appear in F1 since I've been watching, and that takes in about 30yrs :eek:

From the very first race of the year he made F1 worth watching again, worth getting up in the middle of the night to watch races, and the idea of doing that had been wearing thin for some time.

It will be a superb, remarkable, and astonishing achievement if he wins the WDC, and most of all it will be thoroughly deserved.

;) Yep... this would have been a great year for Formula One if Stepneygate hadn't occured.

We were enjoying TWO teams closely fighting for the constructor's championship along with four drivers.

Hamilton brought a new and exciting aspect to F-1, beng a contender from the "git-go" !!!

:D this is truly a Remarkable achievement for LH, a rookie driver...

who's now likely to be...

this year's World Driving Champion !!!

:s mokin:

ioan
1st October 2007, 18:02

Speak for yourself :s mokin:

ioan
1st October 2007, 18:05
;) Yep... this would have been a great year for Formula One if Stepneygate hadn't occured.

You must be kidding.

If Stepney wouldn't have decided to give Ferrari's secrets to McLaren both championships would have been already won by the reds and Hamilton would have had to fight it out with the "monkeys". :p :

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 18:11
You must be kidding.

If Stepney wouldn't have decided to give Ferrari's secrets to McLaren both championships would have been already won by the reds and Hamilton would have had to fight it out with the "monkeys". :p :

With Ferrari's superb strategic decisions, reliability and management, you may be right :p :

trumperZ06
1st October 2007, 18:46
With Ferrari's superb strategic decisions, reliability and management, you may be right :p :

;) Not to mention that it looks like Ferrari's set-up information sabotaged Alonso... who thanks to Ferrari... is now the weaker link @ McLaren !!!

:s mokin:

King Stromba
1st October 2007, 20:19
In my view the fact that Hamilton has won the F1 WDC in his first year has devalued the status of F1 just as Nigel Mansell did to Indy car. In Indycar we knew the drivers were not 'world class' and so it was to be expected, but F1 is meant to be a pinnacle.

I cant believe miore people havnt asked themselve how it can be that someone with no experience can come into such a technical and difficult series and dominate?

Either the standard of drivers in F1 is poor, or there are funamental deep seated problems with the way the sport is run and the underlying regulations.

I think many people get wrapped up in the details of F1 and sometimes we need to step back to look at the big picture.

Either F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, or it is a series of questionable talent that can be won by someone with no experience.

Alonso looked average this year. Raikkonen looked average. Massa looked average.

But the ironic thing is that Hamilton looked average too, albeit more constently average.

I think its time some of the teams, the organisers and promoters pulled their head out of their asses and sorted this sport out.

SGWilko
1st October 2007, 20:29
In my view the fact that Hamilton has won the F1 WDC in his first year has devalued the status of F1 just as Nigel Mansell did to Indy car. In Indycar we knew the drivers were not 'world class' and so it was to be expected, but F1 is meant to be a pinnacle.

I cant believe miore people havnt asked themselve how it can be that someone with no experience can come into such a technical and difficult series and dominate?

Either the standard of drivers in F1 is poor, or there are funamental deep seated problems with the way the sport is run and the underlying regulations.

I think many people get wrapped up in the details of F1 and sometimes we need to step back to look at the big picture.

Either F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, or it is a series of questionable talent that can be won by someone with no experience.

Alonso looked average this year. Raikkonen looked average. Massa looked average.

But the ironic thing is that Hamilton looked average too, albeit more constently average.

I think its time some of the teams, the organisers and promoters pulled their head out of their asses and sorted this sport out.

You refer to him dominating, but then class him as average.

That's what they call contradiction, that is.

schmenke
1st October 2007, 20:55
...The tainted title will be handed out ...

Why would Hamilton's championship be tained? :confused:

King Stromba
1st October 2007, 22:11
You refer to him dominating, but then class him as average.

That's what they call contradiction, that is.

Its is possible to dominate a championship in other ways than through exceptional drives.

There is no contradiction to stating that a driver has dominated a series, but driven in an average way. If everyone else drives are less good, average is still good enough to dominate.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2007, 22:51

Because Ioan is the most biased Ferrari fan in the world ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2007, 22:53

*Wipes tear from eye and starts clapping*

tinchote
1st October 2007, 23:11

With two races to go, they were tied. But it's true that in the last two races FA outscored MS by 13 points.

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2007, 00:46

I agree. Not that I'm barracking for him in the slightest.

spiltmilk
2nd October 2007, 06:29
even if they tie with 4 wins each hamilton has 5 second 3 more than alonso there fore wins

Mark
2nd October 2007, 08:47
In my view the fact that Hamilton has won the F1 WDC in his first year .

Lets not put the commentators curse on it please!

ioan
2nd October 2007, 12:04

because so far he only beat 1 other driver on equal chances ( mcLaren + Ferrari technical informations), the other 20 drivers were cheated.

Shalafi
2nd October 2007, 13:56
It would of been fantastic season had McLaren not cheated. Hamiltons WDC is nothing now. He is an excellent driver for sure but its ridiculous that while McLaren was found guilty, Alonso and Hamilton, two drivers that got direct benefit from cheating, didnt get any punishment at all. Kimi or Felipe were the only worthy drivers for WDC from top-4. It just shows how pathethic F1 is in nowadays when driver can get benefits from cheating without getting any punishment. Of course this doesnt matter for any brits, because they are happy to long last having a WDC, even though unfair and dirty champion.

Garry Walker
2nd October 2007, 21:18
The Golden Boy`s title will be tainted and no one, no matter how much a fan of The Golden Boy, can deny that. That would be a sign of stupidity.