PDA

View Full Version : What is so apealing about NASCAR?

Hayden Fan
30th December 2006, 20:41
I dislike NASCAR. But everyone at my school loves it. Why? The races are mildy(being nice) entertaining. What attracts people from all around to watch NASCAR at the track and at home?

Sparky1329
30th December 2006, 20:47
If you have to ask that question you'll never "get" it.

TexasRaceLady
30th December 2006, 21:12
HaydenFan, I've been a fan since I saw my first race back in 1979 --- yeah, I'm one of those "old" people. LOL

The spouse and I had been involved in late model dirt cars for a number of years, but when our driver retired, so did we. Then I saw the Daytona 500 televised in '79, and wondered why I hadn't seen this before.

I think it was the speed, the closeness of the cars (i.e. the beating and banging on each other), and the raw emotion exhibited by the drivers that really hooked me. I particularly fell for a rawboned, wild-haired, wild-eyed, even wilder-driving racer and was really hooked for good.

I tried for years to explain to my fellow school teachers why I followed NASCAR, but they all just shook their heads --- they just didn't "get it."

The racing has changed dramatically over the years. Some changes I don't agree with, but the fact remains --- there are men out on the track, going fast, and I love it.

RaceFanStan
30th December 2006, 22:33
I dislike NASCAR. But everyone at my school loves it. Why?
The races are mildy(being nice) entertaining.
What attracts people from all around to watch NASCAR at the track and at home?
NASCAR is just a reason for us good ol' boys to sit around and drink a few beers.
You are welcome to join us, we like smart-mouthed punks looking for an argument.
It's been a while since we tied a "visitor" to the rear of a pickup & dragged him around the ball field. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/laff/yuk.gif

Labonte Massa
31st December 2006, 03:03
Don't bother. It's not appealing. It used to be. Now it's not.

My version of the story, which I believe is 100% true and a lot of people agree with but since this is a NASCAR-related thread with NASCAR fans so I'd expect that they won't agree with my views of NASCAR.

NASCAR was good when it was about racing. However, things changed around like 2004 (the NEXTEL era). NASCAR realized it had fans and the fans were willing to pay money and even wear clothing that advertised sponsors for their drivers. So they took it too far with sponsorship and made NASCAR a 4-hour commercial with a boring race happening in the background. They don't care about the real fans who enjoy racing. It just became popular and became the "it" thing where all these people who knew nothing about it went as a social thing to be a part of this "it" thing and in a few years something new will be the "it" thing, like say, women's log rolling.

If you want to see stock car racing, I'd suggest looking for a short track near you. Good racing, very little money. It's all about racing and is usually cheap (sometimes if it's NASCAR-sanctioned it's around $20 which is not good, but the one near me is non-NASCAR and an awesome $12!)

So that's my summary, it got popular on racing, then casual fans came and brought money and it got out of hand.

And my final proof is on speedtv.com, it lists four categories, and NASCAR is separate form Auto Racing. Because it isn't auto racing. NASCAR is pretty much just a business.

Something tells me the credibility of my posts are suddenly going to drop...

Alexamateo
31st December 2006, 04:40
I started following Nascar really closely in 1982. You know what people said then. "It's not as good as it used be, It's gotten too corporate etc." In the early 90's, people said, "It's not as good as it used to be, It's gotten too corporate, etc." Now, people say, "It's not as good as it used to be, etc. It's too corporate etc." Heck, I think I remember reading some stories written back in the 60's that some were complaining that "Racing wasn't like it used to be back in the 50's etc."

I think things evolve, and it's human nature to think it was best when we first started to notice it or like it.

And as far as the original question, Nascar has always had generally closer racing, and better competition. It's has more races, so there are more opportunities for "your" driver to pop up and win one. There's a little bit more consistency with the driver's and teams so there's more continuity. (in open wheel, there's a tendency to yank drivers too quickly in my opinion, and also too much "this week's pay driver") Plus, I can go out and buy a Monte Carlo or Charger or Ford(and next year a Toyota :D )for myself, just like my favorite driver.

So in a nutshell, it's more races with more drivers with more compelling stories that the average fan can relate to.

Lee Roy
31st December 2006, 04:58
I went to my first NASCAR race in 1968 (1968 Daytona 500). It's been getting better and better since then, including last year. Next year should be a continuing improvement.

What's so appealing? Along with Formula One, it's the best racing that exists today.

Erki
31st December 2006, 14:04
What's so appealing? Along with Formula One, it's the best racing that exists today.

A slight correction: F1 is not racing. :s nore:
And the best racing is endurance racing (Le Mans-GT) and rallying.
I gotta say Harvick supporters know where's the real racing. ;)

jeffmr2
31st December 2006, 15:27
I'd have to disagree with calling rallying the best form of racing.Sure the drivers are skillfull but racing against the clock rather than another drivers isnt exciting to me.The organisers of the Uk Lombard RAC rally (or whatever its called nowadays) have a cheek to charge over £20 just to stand on the side of a forestry road in the rain (it always rains here in Wales).
Formula one hasnt been exciting for years and wont be untill they change the cars to improve overtaking.
Ive only been a nascar fan since 2002 and i'm hooked on it for life.To see these cars racing so closely at such speed and overtaking on the track,not just on pit road is such an amazing sight.I love lucky dog rule,the chase,even Jeff Gordon and the Busch brothers ha ha ha!!! Not so keen on road courses and the bogus caution flags.

Hayden Fan
31st December 2006, 15:57
Like most of you, you seem to say it was the beating and banging. Well you could do that 20-30 years ago or your name was Earnhardt. Now with so much money involved you can't. Look at T.Stewart, K.Harvick They used to drive like that but now they can't because of the sponsors and money.

Erki
31st December 2006, 17:21
I'd have to disagree with calling rallying the best form of racing.Sure the drivers are skillfull but racing against the clock rather than another drivers isnt exciting to me.The organisers of the Uk Lombard RAC rally (or whatever its called nowadays) have a cheek to charge over £20 just to stand on the side of a forestry road in the rain (it always rains here in Wales).

£20 is surely a robbery but for three days it would be fine.
I guess you just have to be a bit nuts to really really like rallying. ;)

harvick#1
31st December 2006, 17:41
And the best racing is endurance racing (Le Mans-GT) and rallying.
I gotta say Harvick supporters know where's the real racing. ;)

agreed, agreed, and definitely agreed :D :up:

Jag_Warrior
31st December 2006, 22:52
So in a nutshell, it's more races with more drivers with more compelling stories that the average fan can relate to.

Pretty accurate nutshell, IMO.

While other North American series wasted their time, money, effort and fan goodwill bashing each other, NASCAR maintained and grew the Winston/Nextel Cup series.

With regard to stock car racing, I prefer the trucks. But I'd say what your friends like, Hayden Fan, has to do with what Alexamateo posted above.

lugnut_usa
31st December 2006, 23:37
Okay, I'm at work so I can't post links for you (youtube is blocked here).

But here's how I can explain it best to you.

Go to YouTube.com.

Search for "Kurt Busch"

Look for videos of Kurt Busch vs. Ricky Craven at Darlington in 2003, and Kurt Busch vs. Robby Gordon at Watkins Glen 2006.

If those videos don't explain to you why people like the kind of racing that NASCAR is capable of, then you'll never understand. ;)

Maybe someone who isn't behind a firewall can post those links :)

Cole_Trickle
1st January 2007, 03:29
Kurt Busch/Ricky Craven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdm2EbYbkzw
I first saw this one about 6 months ago, oh man it's a good finish.

Kurt Busch/Robby Gordon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHDuggdVyA&mode=related&search=

There is a vid on there of Dale Earnhardt coming through most of the feild in the last 5 laps or so at Daytona or Talladega to win, that's pretty good to watch, as was the Talladega finish this year, with Vickers getting into Johnson and Jr.

harvick#1
1st January 2007, 04:22
Harvick's win in 2001 is still the best and most emotional win ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-XoWfDUzYQ

but yeah Earnhardt's last win at Talladega was absolutely awesome and amazing, from 22nd to first in 5 laps, no one else could do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyT4QOqjT0

its was amazing how there were no yellow line rules in plate racing, then Nascar ruined it, and taking the wickers of ruined plate racing as well in NNC racing.

Old3Fan
1st January 2007, 15:37
The answer is simple. YOU either like something or YOU don't. It ain't up to other people.

Labonte Massa
1st January 2007, 16:11
In response to some of those videos posted...

Yes, I will admit, the Talladega 2000 race was great. But that was 2000, and not 2006. NASCAR TODAY is poor. NASCAR THEN was good.

Also, the finishes such as the Craven/Busch at Darlington, were exciting, but it was only 1 lap. NASCAR races are now 4 hours, probably 3.5 back then. If only 1 30-second lap is entertaining, then it's a waste of time. I can post a lot of F1 clips from YouTube that are exciting, but again, that doesn't happen often, and especially not as often as it used to. When I watch a race, there needs to be stuff happening at least 90% of the time and I don't see that in NASCAR. However, I will give it some credit that the TV deal ruins the races. I went to Pocono the last 3 years, and as boring as it looks on TV, there was a lot of great racing that they'd never show from tenth to twentieth.

NASCAR is a 4-hour commercial, so don't get yourself involved.

It's sad what the racing world has become, all the major racing seems so bland these days. Local short track stuff is the best racing now, and maybe the only series with actual racing.

RaceFanStan
1st January 2007, 16:15
All this crap about what is wrong with NASCAR is a bunch of whiners bitching.
If you don't like it, then don't watch it !
And don't come to the NASCAR forum looking for an argument. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Lee Roy
2nd January 2007, 01:43

Stan, you are da man. Happy New Year, my friend!!! ;D

BobbyC
2nd January 2007, 01:53
In many races, you have more strategy to win a race than you see.

Think of Joliet last year, when Jeff Gordon, knowing he had the fuel to go the distance, and Matt Kenseth, questionable on fuel, had that incident with three laps to go. Kenseth was overconfident he could make the race without a final fuel stop. He was wrong, and when Jeff Gordon was back on the throttle, contact was made because Kenseth's car had begun to hiccup because of the lack of fuel.

That incident haunted Kenseth at Dover, when Jeff Burton passed Kenseth late in the race when Burton, confident on fuel, faced off against Kenseth, who was questionable too. Likewise, Kenseth was out of fuel by the flag's fall.

RaceFanStan
2nd January 2007, 02:44
Stan, you are da man. Happy New Year, my friend!!! ;D
Thanks LeeRoy my friend, I hope you have a most excellent year too ! :D :up:

jslone
2nd January 2007, 04:05
Watch the races,especially Bristol,Richmond and you might get it,Daytona and Dega are great for what they are but the best I think are the bullring racetracks,Michigan and also Darlington put on great show,and Dover.

Mjfan12
2nd January 2007, 06:12
Oval racing is so g damn boring its not even funny.

I think it would be better if they at least included some more road races. They have many double races (2 or more at the same track) why cant they change those to road courses?

Have the brickyard 400 on the oval and another race in the F1 track, that would be cool.

The aussie v8s are kinda like nascar, stock racing on road courses and thats some awesome racing.

harvick#1
2nd January 2007, 06:35
Nascar puts on the best Road Course race everyyear outside of LeMans, and thats with Watkins Glen. The cars just aren't meant for the track and thats whats so perfect about it, they actually can pass unlike in F1 or rarely in IRL or CCWS.

Cole_Trickle
2nd January 2007, 09:28
Nascar puts on the best Road Course race everyyear outside of LeMans, and thats with Watkins Glen. The cars just aren't meant for the track and thats whats so perfect about it, they actually can pass unlike in F1 or rarely in IRL or CCWS.

Exactly.

V8 supercars don't have that great racing, sure the cars are close(ish), but there is no overtaking.

pentti
2nd January 2007, 14:21
Exactly.

V8 supercars don't have that great racing, sure the cars are close(ish), but there is no overtaking.+ drivers are not that good.

Daytona Demon
2nd January 2007, 19:38
The reason we like it sooooo much is

a. The sounds of a V8 NASCAR compared to a screaming F1/Champ/Irl

b The friendliness between the drivers.

c You never really know who is going to win until the chequered flag
is waved,unlike with F1 where normally as long as the cars stays together,if the leader is off into the distance 99% chance he will will win,where with NASCAR you never really know,due to set up fuel mileages differ,cut tire as they pass the white flag etc etc etc.

call_me_andrew
2nd January 2007, 20:39
And don't come to the NASCAR forum looking for an argument. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

We don't have anything else to watch!

pentti
2nd January 2007, 21:41
I like tactics.

Lee Roy
3rd January 2007, 00:48

So are you.

oldhippie
3rd January 2007, 01:28
We don't have anything else to watch!
cable that bad where you live?

ted@economy
4th January 2007, 11:51
I will make a small point because it's one most people don't think of. It used to be ,in the stick and ball sports,that you could root for a team because you knew all the players.Then they started changing them so fast that you had to have a program to know the players on your team.With Nascar ,you had roughly the same 40 guys every week.Granted,there are a few more changes lately but the Labontes ,Pettys, Earnhardts, etc are still there You turn on the TV on Sunday and you see familiar players.

wedge
4th January 2007, 15:38
I love motorsport/auto-racing. If something races round a race track I will watch it.

NASCAR is so unique, there's so many reasons why I love it.

Most racing series rely on technology and technology has arguably ruined most contemporary championships and yet NASCAR has relied on sheet metal and prehistoric V8s and continually produce good races. The only major changes have come from aero and tyre technology and its amazing those engine builders are pushing 850bhp out of those V8s! LETS CRANK IT UP!

The pitstops are a great spectacle and so easy to relate to. No in-car adjustments, mechanical weight-jackers. You can see a driver getting adjustments made to alter the handling without having to second guess, teams open to the media on making car adjustments during pitstops.

Its so easy to turn up at and follow a race. The car numbers are huge, most drivers have their own sponsors so its easy to follow drivers.

When the racing is good, it is excellent. One car can be good on short runs, its rival on long runs; rubbing!; multiple groove race tracks where you can run side by side lap after lap.

Oval racing is a different ball game - you may love it or hate it and doesn't appeal to everyone in the same way rugby fans love or hate American Football.

Just my 2 cents

Mark in Oshawa
4th January 2007, 19:28
Stan and Lee Roy don't want an argument, they want a confirmation of their view of the world. AS for most NASCAR fans, they like some things, don't like others but To say why NASCAR is so popular is pretty easy. It is the best run organization/business in racing today. They know their audience and they knew how to draw more people in.

The racing?? Well, you either get stock car racing or you don't, that is true, but to not like a series where guys can go at each other to an extent is great. To see the possibility of 10 to 20 different winners in one season isn't happening anywhere else. To see cars simliar in idea to what you could buy (they aren't stock at all but closer than say F1, Sportscar prototypes, and IRL/Champ Cars) race 43 strong into the first corner at the start is a sight no one else can match. For all of its detractors, NASCAR has a good product, and lots of ways to watch it. IT is accessable, easy to get a handle on, and the drivers have character, and if you are in the US, you know these guys.

Dont be afraid of being a NASCAR fan, but don't let people question your own ideas. Last time I looked, it was a free country and you have the right to your opinion, no matter what some people on here might tell ya...

Robert Ryan
4th January 2007, 20:30
V8 supercars don't have that great racing, sure the cars are close(ish), but there is no overtaking.

+ drivers are not that good.
There has been a fairly long line of US drivers(including ones that have done well in NASCAR roadracing) that have been total failures in V8Supercars(I am sounding like Racefanstan in reverse here.). There is a lot more overtaking in V8Supercars than any NASCAR roadracing. Considering you see a very condensed version of our racing.
Mjfan12 has got it right

The aussie v8s are kinda like nascar, stock racing on road courses and that's some awesome racing.

jslone
5th January 2007, 05:39

I think it would be better if they at least included some more road races. They have many double races (2 or more at the same track) why cant they change those to road courses?

Have the brickyard 400 on the oval and another race in the F1 track, that would be cool.

The aussie v8s are kinda like nascar, stock racing on road courses and thats some awesome racing.

Boring,Nascar has the opprotunity's for a driver to start last and win the race,Terry Labonte was passed at Bristol on the last lap by the late great Dale Earnhardt and Big E won the race from 3 laps down I think.And a lot of races are won or lost in the pits,most other racing series do not pit like Nascar does,that exciting.

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 07:07
Boring,Nascar has the opprotunity's for a driver to start last and win the race,Terry Labonte was passed at Bristol on the last lap by the late great Dale Earnhardt and Big E won the race from 3 laps down I think.And a lot of races are won or lost in the pits,most other racing series do not pit like Nascar does,that exciting.

That race at Bristol has to be my favourite NASCAR short track race of all time. Number 3 was just coming on strong the whole last 100 laps. Anyone who didn't know what NASCAR was about if they saw THAT race, they would get it. Labonte's car being pushed into the Victory Lane with the front end stoved in and steam flying....THAT is what is different about NASCAR. What is more, Earnhardt and Labonte were laughing about it afterward on TV!!

That said, some NASCAR shows can be a lot less fun, but hey, that is racing. As for the pitstops, well, other series have similar pitstops, and strategy is a part of all racing, it just is up to the fan to educate themselves on what is going on with strategy. In NASCAR, the biggest advantage is that the coverage is so large is you can immerse yourself in the sport. The downside? You get immersed and after a while, it can be too much.

call_me_andrew
6th January 2007, 05:46
cable that bad where you live?

You'd think 700 channels would make it easier...

Let's say that you've been married for 30 years, and your spouse has a way of pissing you off from time to time. That's not a reason to get a divorce.

tstran17_88
7th January 2007, 15:53
Like most of you, you seem to say it was the beating and banging. Well you could do that 20-30 years ago or your name was Earnhardt. Now with so much money involved you can't. Look at T.Stewart, K.Harvick They used to drive like that but now they can't because of the sponsors and money.Has nothing to do with the money. It's the tracks they race at. You beat and bang at Chicagoland, Texas, California and Kansas...your car runs like junk. If we still had tracks like North Wilkesboro and Rockingham on the schedule...you'd see more of it.

tstran17_88
7th January 2007, 15:59
Think of Joliet last year, when Jeff Gordon, knowing he had the fuel to go the distance, and Matt Kenseth, questionable on fuel, had that incident with three laps to go. Kenseth was overconfident he could make the race without a final fuel stop. He was wrong, and when Jeff Gordon was back on the throttle, contact was made because Kenseth's car had begun to hiccup because of the lack of fuel.
What a load of crappy, crap-crap!

Kenseth was worried sick that he didn't have enough fuel...not overconfident. When he slowed, Gordon just flat out punted him in retaliation for the Bristol punt Matt gave him. The bone head even admitted it was retaliation after the race. I wonder why Nascar didn't penalize him?

Chicago is plenty wide and Jeff had plenty of time to go around. :rolleyes:

kelloggs5TLfan
7th January 2007, 16:26
What a load of crappy, crap-crap!

Kenseth was worried sick that he didn't have enough fuel...not overconfident. When he slowed, Gordon just flat out punted him in retaliation for the Bristol punt Matt gave him. The bone head even admitted it was retaliation after the race. I wonder why Nascar didn't penalize him?

Chicago is plenty wide and Jeff had plenty of time to go around. :rolleyes:

That's the way I remember it. :up:

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2007, 18:40
I too remember that. If Jeff wasn't capable of pulling around Matt cleanly to pass him, then he shouldn't be out there. Why NASCAR never fined him is not a mystery though. They like to have Jeffy poo in the White Hat of the Hero all the time, so they overlook little pecadillo's such as running up the backside of the leader in the final laps. I suspect Robby Gordon wouldn't have been so fortunate.

oldhippie
12th January 2007, 00:28
nascar likes payback racing cause it puts butts in the seats

tstran17_88
13th January 2007, 18:02
10-4! :up:

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 19:33

Sorta the same mentality that the NHL uses to justify tolerating hockey fights. Funny thing is, the best hockey you see is in the playoff's and Olympics, and you never see fights there....just like payback racing. Best racing is the all out clean and tough battles without rough driving.

Me thinks the mentality of the governing bodies is not as sophisticated as that of the fans.

call_me_andrew
13th January 2007, 19:50
Me thinks the mentality of the governing bodies is not as sophisticated as that of the fans.

That depends on which fans you're talking about.

And Olympic hockey uses a larger rink to reduce checking as a whole. Fighting is used by coaches as a tool to get the other teams talented players off the ice.

tstran17_88
16th January 2007, 03:49
Fighting is used by coaches as a tool to get the other teams talented players off the ice.It really worked for Philly last Saturday against Pittsburgh. :laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 23:04
That depends on which fans you're talking about.

And Olympic hockey uses a larger rink to reduce checking as a whole. Fighting is used by coaches as a tool to get the other teams talented players off the ice.

Not to get side tracked, but that isn't really the whole story. More of a case of fighting occurs when you can afford to toss away 2 points. In the playoffs or in Olympic hockey, there isn't the time for the sideshow.....

Back to the topic at hand...I think NASCAR is appealing mainly because the drivers are the stars, and the management of the series knows this and makes room for the drivers to occaisionally flirt with the dark side. The feud's are good for the fans who all have fervent passion for one guy vs the other. THAT is probably why sometimes things like Gordon pushing Kenseth off the track are let go. I think they would have more cred with a lot of people though if they were more consistent. Would Tony Stewart go unfined for the same infraction?

WRCfan
19th January 2007, 04:15
In regard to the question on the first post, im a WRC spectator, although have recently over the last 2 years been hooked on Nascar.

If you are a true follower of motorsport you will recognise the following things:
- All forms of motorsport are different, and each has things that are truly amazing about it, which other forms dont have.
- You appreciate each motorsport for what it is
- Your happy to watch different forms of motorsport because it shows the true diversity we have to spectate.

For me WRC is my pinnacle motorsport, the thing i see it having is that drivers are able to race on gravel, tarmac, snow, ice, mud and other kinds of surfaces, the drivers level of car control i feel surpasses many other forms of motorsport.

As for Nascar its all about the sound of the cars, the atmosphere i can see through the TV, and the one thing nascar has about it which i dont see on other motorsports is the brilliance in tactics that get played out. To win a race being the fastest doesnt always work, yellows play havoc on many races, it's all about how u have been thinking earlier and what gambles you have made to decide where you are going to be in the field on the final lap.

Just my 2 cents..

WRCfan

WSRfan82
19th January 2007, 07:46
its close racing very close and very entertaining a good mix of talanted drivers and of course the daytona 500 its far better then fomula 1 will ever be

WSRfan82
19th January 2007, 07:51
its close racing very close and very entertaining a good mix of talanted drivers and of course the daytona 500 its far better then fomula 1 will ever be

djparky
20th January 2007, 14:38
Living in the UK NASCAR coverage has been patchy until the last few years- prior to NASN, we used to see a couple of races on Sky Sports and on occasion Eurosport used to show it

I've long enjoyed US racing- my interest in oval racing started with the old CART IndyCar series, and now that NASN shows NASCAR I get to watch oval racing every weekend without having to watch the IRL

NASCAR isn't perfect- the races are probably too long, and there were some tedious races last year- Fontana and Homestead spring to mind. But you never really know who's going to win from one week to the next which makes it alot more unpredictable than F1. Oval racing is an acquired taste- but it's a change from the endless road racing we have in europe

I went to Daytona 500 last year and it was amazing- I enjoyed it so much I'll be back there agin in 4 weeks time for this years race

Lee Roy
20th January 2007, 16:03
I went to Daytona 500 last year and it was amazing- I enjoyed it so much I'll be back there agin in 4 weeks time for this years race

I hope you have a great time.

djparky
21st January 2007, 17:00
thanks Lee Roy- I'm hoping that it will be nice weather this time round- last year the Busch race was held in sunshine, but the 500 was so cold- more like being at Silverstone than in Florida!

Lee Roy
21st January 2007, 20:44
thanks Lee Roy- I'm hoping that it will be nice weather this time round- last year the Busch race was held in sunshine, but the 500 was so cold- more like being at Silverstone than in Florida!

I grew up a couple of hours from Daytona. I can recall some pretty cool days there. I'll never forget being there for the Thursday qualifying races in 1977. It was pretty cold for Floriday that day. There was a vedor walking along at the foot of the grandstands hollering "Ice Cream" in a loud voice. About that time Sir Jackie was walking past and I heard that Scottish broughe
with a quizical lilt when he said "Ice Cream?!?!?!?!?!"

Hey, last week I was in London with a couple of friends on a 4 day Pub Crawl. On Saturday we took the train down to Exeter for the Winter Beer Festival. We had a fantastic time. Luckily, we got out of London to return home before the bad weather set in.