PDA

View Full Version : Why not Andy for an honour?

VkmSpouge
30th December 2006, 20:37
I’ve looked at all the New Year’s Honours given to sportsmen and women this year, each of them I’m sure is deserving of their award. But having looked at the list I’m left thinking, why shouldn’t Andy Priaulx get one of these Honours? He’s won three consecutive international titles against some formidable opposition, he's very quick in just about everything he’s raced in, he's just about the most successful British driver racing at the moment and he's put in a couple of decades of his life into motor racing.

I believe there is a case to be made for Andy Priaulx getting an Honour.

Okay, I'm a fan of his so I'm not exactly the least biased person here but looking at the nomination form and the information online (found at http://www.honours.gov.uk), I believe that if there are enough people interested we can build a good case for Priaulx and nominate him for an Honour. This isn’t like an online petition that whoever it is sent they can blissfully ignore it or like the BBC Sports Personality of the Year where only a large number of votes make a difference, something like this might stand a chance of success. It would be a great way to show appreciation of his efforts.

BeansBeansBeans
30th December 2006, 21:19
I’ve looked at all the New Year’s Honours given to sportsmen and women this year, each of them I’m sure is deserving of their award. But having looked at the list I’m left thinking, why shouldn’t Andy Priaulx get one of these Honours?

I agree that he is deserving of an honour, and I'm also impressed that you managed to put forward your case without bad-mouthing those who did receive honours :up:

reidy_fan
30th December 2006, 21:58
agree with that Andy deserves something for services to british motorsport

Captain VXR
30th December 2006, 22:29
Matt Neal deserves recognition too.

nik
30th December 2006, 22:51
...instead they give an honour to someone that beats people up for a living.

Iain
30th December 2006, 23:52
Matt Neal deserves recognition too.

Winning the BTCC isn't on the same scale as being a double World Champion.

Captain VXR
31st December 2006, 11:17
I know that Andy has won the WTCC twice and the ETCC before that. He made a very good acheivement as did Neal in a privateer car - both of which should have got awards.

Iain
31st December 2006, 14:04
Still don't agree. Winning three very competitive major championships all by yourself with no help from teammates is a much bigger achievement. Neal won a national championship in a superior car, with help from several teammates, plus the competition wasn't as tough as the ETCC/WTCC was.

nik
31st December 2006, 14:10
Still don't agree. Winning three very competitive major championships all by yourself with no help from teammates is a much bigger achievement. Neal won a national championship in a superior car, with help from several teammates, plus the competition wasn't as tough as the ETCC/WTCC was.

True. Matts two biggest rivals, one was a driver that had 8 DNFs and the other was driving a 400 year old car.
Priaulx had to hold off a haud of BMWs, not to mention the Alfa's and Seat's.

Iain
31st December 2006, 14:12
Plus Andy had one arm tied behind his back most of the time with the obscene amounts of ballast he had to carry.

Hazell B
31st December 2006, 19:45
Just printing off a form to fill in.

Brilliant idea Vkm :up:

VkmSpouge
1st January 2007, 14:59
If we are to do try and nominate Andy then we would need someone to do the nomination form and then at least two other people write letters putting the case for Andy to get an honour. The letters should then be sent to the person who is doing the nomination form so that they're all sent in together.
So as Hazell is printing off the form, we'll need others to write letters. I think the case can be made quite easily and there's plenty information about him on his website http://www.andypriaulx.co.uk .