PDA

View Full Version : Stewart drops the F bomb on live TV

Cindy_AL
30th September 2007, 15:34
Tony Stewart upstaged Saturday's NASCAR Nextel Cup practice with his mouth.

During ESPN2's broadcast of Saturday's first Cup practice at Kansas City, Kan., Stewart dismissed an ESPN cameraman with a vulgarity, after Stewart finished a conversation with Robby Gordon.
Stewart's antagonistic comment, "Get the (expletive) away from me,'' was heard by the television audience, prompting ESPN broadcaster Dr. Jerry Punch to apologize to the audience for the airing of the inappropriate remarks.
"I think what occurred speaks for itself,'' said George McNeilly, ESPN's senior director of corporate and consumer communications. "It was an unfortunate incident, and we apologized immediately.''
The incident leaves NASCAR in the uncomfortable position of having to deal with offensive language from Stewart for the second time this season. He is on probation through Dec. 31 for failing to fulfill his media obligations at Phoenix in April.
Subsequently, after winning the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, Stewart treated a national TV audience to a different swear word during his postrace interview. NASCAR fined Stewart $25,000 and docked him 25 driver championship points but deemed that the vulgarity did not violate Stewart's probation.
If NASCAR disciplines Stewart, the penalty likely will be announced next week.
Saturday night at Knoxville, Iowa, where Stewart made an appearance, he tried to quell the issue.
"It was kind (of) a situation where we were in a spot we didn't realize we were in," said Stewart. "I think that's going to -- let it take care of itself. It's a lot of stress and there's a lot of people around."

Jonesi
30th September 2007, 15:39
It's definately going to cost him at least 25 points, maybe more since this is the second time this year.

RaceFanStan
30th September 2007, 16:12
NASCAR needs to get over itself ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
Words like f**k & s**t are used by normal everyday people ...
NASCAR should quit trying to be the proper conduct police ...
let the drivers be REAL people with REAL emotions ...
NOT a bunch of candyass fakes !!!!!!!!!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

muggle not
30th September 2007, 16:34
There should be no penalty in this circumstance. Tony was not doing an interview.

RaikkonenRules
30th September 2007, 17:21
It's not like many people get offended by the swearing made by drivers. Kyle Petty's F-Bomb at Sonoma has several entries on youtube. :D

Sparky1329
30th September 2007, 18:52
I don't always agree with David Poole but in this case I do. Who knew so many Puritans were NASCAR fans!

Tony wasn't being interviewed. He was carrying on a private conversation with a fellow driver when a camerman insinuated himself into their space. If you don't want to hear four letter words don't eavesdrop on private conversations.

http://turn-lane.blogspot.com/2007/09/all-hail-potty-mouth-police-not.html

NASCAR doesn’t want its race broadcasts to be “R-rated,” and I understand that. By and large, its competitors get that. But that doesn’t mean they should be held responsible if a microphone picks up something the competitor said without fair warning that it was being broadcast.

What it comes down to these days is a silly little game of “gotcha.” I, for one, am just through playing it.

harvick#1
30th September 2007, 19:25
There should be no penalty in this circumstance. Tony was not doing an interview.

for once I agree with you. reporters prolly get this this all the time, maybe Tony didn't want to be bothered at the moment by endless reporters and told him to F-off. what happened to freedom of Speech and yes its a word that shouldn't always be said but we all say it.

Erinnnx83
30th September 2007, 20:51
I agree; NASCAR should not police language in a situation like this one.

However, NASCAR also needs consistant rulings (though it's not that consistant, really...as 25 points int he first 26 hurts less than 25 in the Chase...)

Also, this is the first time a driver did this while on probation, right? So that could make the penalty waaay too harsh.

MD24
1st October 2007, 05:01
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=3043467

Jonesi
1st October 2007, 07:41
and this one too:
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/09/24/scene_daily286.html

tstran17_88
1st October 2007, 18:26
Like it or not...Tony Stewart is the 'NEW' Dale Earnhardt. Who else would have gotten away with no penalty for this? Robby Gordon? I think not!

jslone
2nd October 2007, 03:54
Something tels me that he well get something handed by Nascar,now the reporter should have know when he/she is not wanted and walk up to someone like Stewart and expect an interview.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd October 2007, 15:30
If NASCAR was going to nail him for 25 points, they might as well just give up having any credibility. The Cameraman was intruding on a private converasation and running live. Any director with half a brain knows that approaching Tony under those circumstances requires a 7 second delay. ESPN shouldn't have been going in there without permission, and DEFINATELY NOT doing it live. They screwed up. Lets face the reality, most of those guys swear like truck drivers (proabably more than us Truck drivers) when things are going south, and Tony definately had a going south day in Kansas. Like GOING WAY SOUTH....

Old3Fan
2nd October 2007, 23:26
If you don't like hearing an occasional bad work then don't listen. And if you don't know how to turn off the telly, then have your mommy do it for you. Most of this stuff comes out when a reporter (laugh, laugh) sticks the microphone in someones face like a friggin moron. If it was me I would shove it down his or her throat. Nascar ought to ban from the TRACKS ANY REPORTER WHO DOES THIS, PERMANANTLY. BTW have any of you listened to how your kids talk lately. I know, I know, NOT MY KID. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!