PDA

View Full Version : OMV stops all rally sponsorships!

Jaanus
28th September 2007, 16:28
OMV will stop all rally sponsosrships after the end of this year. That includes Manfred Stohl and several projects in national championships in Europe.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~4~id~155050.htm

A.F.F.
28th September 2007, 18:04
:mark:

Bummer.

Helstar
28th September 2007, 18:08
WRC is dying. Save WRC (who ^^).

jonkka
28th September 2007, 18:15
Yes, I just received the official e-mail too. Interesting decision, given that they've had very good results and have promoted the sustainable side of their business for some time now.

Josti
28th September 2007, 18:54
WRC is dying. Save WRC (who ^^).

Middle Eastern company's I gues...

Bummer OMV quits so suddenly :\ , I guess we won't see Stohl coming back soon, if not at all. Easy to consider September 2007 as the worst month of WRC news so far.

alleskids
28th September 2007, 19:27
OMV has been in WRC and with the Stohl family since 1991, with dad Rudolpf Stohl. So it is a small miracle that they have been present so long.

Donney
28th September 2007, 19:35
I hope this won't set a trend related to the F1 spying affairs.

Mirek
28th September 2007, 21:26
You're talking about that like it was only Stohl who was sponsored by OMV. But there are also two PWRC teams, maybe dozen of national teams, several rallys (Rally Dutschland, Rally Waldviertel...). It is bad news for rallying at all not only for WRC...

SubaruNorway
28th September 2007, 21:48
I think OMV is one of the biggest brands in rallying

Maui J.
28th September 2007, 22:49
Buggar! You don't really appreciate things until you lose them. Hope this doesn't mean an end to Manfred on the WRC scene.
It's a big sponsor to lose. Does Manfred have a secondary sponsor that has the potential (well, basically the money) to step up and fund a full campaign next year?

edacurf
29th September 2007, 06:38
Buggar! You don't really appreciate things until you lose them. Hope this doesn't mean an end to Manfred on the WRC scene.
It's a big sponsor to lose. Does Manfred have a secondary sponsor that has the potential (well, basically the money) to step up and fund a full campaign next year?

maybe redbull?!

koko0703
29th September 2007, 07:38
maybe redbull?!

It's hard to imagine RedBull making come back to WRC, especially when they already have two Formula 1 teams and just ended their miserable campaign in WRC last year.

wrc_flipper
29th September 2007, 08:29
wow that is bad news!

Its coming up to bugets time for next year - may well see some more teams / sponcers go. Stobart possibly next?!

Maui J.
29th September 2007, 11:11
maybe redbull?!

That was my first thought as well. An Austrian company supporting a Austrian in the WRC.
If not them, then maybe Power Horse. Another Austrian company that seems to have a large bucket of money to promote their product.

ShiftingGears
29th September 2007, 11:36
I hope this won't set a trend related to the F1 spying affairs.

Why would it be?

GigiGalliNo1
29th September 2007, 13:00
aint they going to IRC? Like ahhh? Well isn't Stohl? And Kronos too! So umm...

Buzz Lightyear
29th September 2007, 14:34
Manfred will retire i think..

Lalo
29th September 2007, 15:53
It's a huge change in the WRC.

1) Manfred Stohl's main sponsor is OMV, so we'll provably won't see him next year, at least in a WRCar.

2) The Rally Deutschland has two main brands sponsoring it: ADAC and OMV. Is the last one's withdrawing from the WRC gonna make a difference on Rally Germany?

Too bad it has to go :/

Roy
30th September 2007, 20:51
It's a huge change in the WRC.

1) Manfred Stohl's main sponsor is OMV, so we'll provably won't see him next year, at least in a WRCar.

2) The Rally Deutschland has two main brands sponsoring it: ADAC and OMV. Is the last one's withdrawing from the WRC gonna make a difference on Rally Germany?

Too bad it has to go :/

OMV was this year NOT involved with Rallye Deutshland.
http://www.rallye-deutschland.de/v2/_img/navig/50partner_g_d.gif
There is only an old url active: http://www.omv-adac-rallye.de/

jso1985
30th September 2007, 21:04
Real bad news indeed but it's not the end of the WRC.

Marlboro was another huge sponsor involved in WRC, now they're gone and the sport hasn't died

paxtech
30th September 2007, 22:31
Another one bites the dust... http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif oh well, what else is new.

oreixa
1st October 2007, 10:33
I look a little bit further. The main reason for withdrawl is to focus on green projects. If a petrol company sees no way to support motorsport it's time to start thinking new and greener ways to do it or our sport will die.

L5->R5/CR
1st October 2007, 17:37
I look a little bit further. The main reason for withdrawl is to focus on green projects. If a petrol company sees no way to support motorsport it's time to start thinking new and greener ways to do it or our sport will die.

That is more than likely a cop out.

OMV as a company to remain competitive will have to focus its resources on getting in front of green technologies (oil companies are the only ones with the money and infrastructure to do so). Being in central Europe it will also have to focus more money on access to Eastern Europe markets and resources as well as Central Asia. More or less they need the millions and millions they spend on motorsport to put into subsidizing deals and research...

Tomski
1st October 2007, 18:19
I reckon the "green" reason is being used simply because they weren't getting the return on the investment. Anything other than a full works team or the "B" teams don't stand a chance. I get they were just doing thier bit by sponsering a local / national driver.

Trivia question: When was the last time a non-works team won a round of the WRC?

It'll be interesting to see if Stohl gets a drive some where else.

Zes
2nd October 2007, 07:02
Trivia question: When was the last time a non-works team won a round of the WRC?

Well, Kronos isnt' a full works team, so the answer is Cyprus 2006. If you count Kronos as a works team, maybe it's Cunico at 1993 San Remo?

CABAIO E'LONA
2nd October 2007, 18:20
i Think that Manfred Stohl will not continues... Sthol without OMV :S ?

Tom206wrc
3rd October 2007, 09:42
Bad news :(

I definitely see Kronos leaving WRC next year and concentrating on IRC only :mark: