PDA

View Full Version : Corsa di Mille Pini – Rally of 1000 Pines

raybak
28th September 2007, 12:25
Event Release

Motorsport fans are in for a treat when Corsa di Mille Pini – Rally of 1000 Pines – is run through the forests of Canberra over the 13th/14th October.

The two day event - Round 6 of the Total Traction Services ACT Rally Series - is an ambitious attempt by Event Director Aaron Tams, to combine the spirit of rallying from the 1970s and 1980s, with the sprint element of modern rallies; all the while providing spectators with the best possible vantage points to watch the action up close.

“Our main goal was to present a quality endurance event, for both competitors and spectators alike, to equal such great rallies as the Victorian Alpine Rally and NSW Great Lakes Rally” explained Aaron.

“We are using a combination of traditional “classic” Canberra rally roads, such as “Pipeline” and “Tidbinbilla”, with new areas that have rarely if ever been used in rallies before.”

“And in a throwback to rallying from an earlier era” continued Aaron, “we are using two stages that are both over 40 kilometres in length.”

“It’s really going to test crews, as they try and push as fast as possible, without destroying their cars in the process.”

As an added bonus, current Australian Rally Champion, Simon Evans, and Canberra’s own Neal Bates will share driving duties behind the wheel of Bates’ S2000 Corolla, and run at the front of the field as Car Zero A on the Saturday.

“We will run the S2000 car, to do some testing, and for Simon (Evans) to do some miles in the car” explained Neal Bates.

“As far as this rally goes, it’s got an incredibly good mix of roads; but with an event this long you have to keep in mind getting to the finish” he continued.

So keep the weekend 13th/14th October free, and get right up close to the action as some of the region’s best rally crews tackle what will be a true test of man and machine.

“The 2007 Corsa di Mille Pini will be held over two days, on some of this country’s most famous and challenging dirt roads. With over 250 kilometres of stages, this makes it the biggest in the NSW/ACT Rally calendar and also one of the cheapest.” said Aaron Tams.

“The mix of roads will test the very best drivers, as they fight out the penultimate round of the 2007 Total Traction Services ACT Rally Series. Coupled with that, we have chosen the best spectator viewing points, so people can be as close as possible to the action. We’ll see you out in the forest!”

For further details on the 2007 Corsa di Mille Pini, visit http://www.lightcarclub.org, http://www.bmsc.com.au or call Aaron Tams on (m) 0405 163 336. And if you would like to volunteer to get even closer to the action, call Raymond Day (m) 0422 559 223.

raybak
29th September 2007, 10:34
I'll be navving for Sophia Moody in her newly purchased Subaru WRX. Should be a great event.

Ray

Livewireshock
29th September 2007, 15:16
I'll be navving for Sophia Moody in her newly purchased Subaru WRX. Should be a great event.

Ray

It does look intriguing. Good luck Ray.

Enjoy those good long stages.

malscar
5th October 2007, 12:49
“We are using a combination of traditional “classic” Canberra rally roads, such as “Pipeline” and “Tidbinbilla”, with new areas that have rarely if ever been used in rallies before.”

“And in a throwback to rallying from an earlier era” continued Aaron, “we are using two stages that are both over 40 kilometres in length.”

It will be interesting to see where he has found these new areas. I think he may be surprised just what has previously been used.

Always loved the longer stages, and in the ACT if done right can really test people.

pault
5th October 2007, 13:49
Here are the stage maps up a week early.

http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/australian-rallying-discussion/13963-should-fatty-run-hills-2.html

raybak
6th October 2007, 01:02
The stages look awesome, can't wait to get out there now.

Not a big field so far, but hopefully there will be some entries flowing in on Monday.

Such a good value event, 254km competitive for $350 entry fee. Has to be the best value rally per dollar anywhere in the world.

Ray

Livewireshock
6th October 2007, 11:44
Looks as if it may be worth the trip down there. Hhhhhhmmmm

raybak
6th October 2007, 14:17
Come on down, you can even check out the new Daihatsu WRC.

Ray

raybak
13th October 2007, 13:36
Great first day, Sophia and I are sitting 2nd in P5 and 4th 4wd turbo. Roads were great, lot of carnage and DNF's.

Check out the awesome new results page designed by Paul Marando http://corsa.rallytiming.com/home.seam?carclass=Overall

Cheers

Ray

raybak
14th October 2007, 09:50
Finished the event in 12th outright, only 17 finishers, so 50% finish rate.

Had an absolute ball, looking forward to the next event which should be Termeil in 2 weeks. This starts the 6 weeks of a rally every weekend.

Ray

raybak
14th October 2007, 12:13
A couple of photos from the event.

Sophia and myself

TheDogBox
19th October 2007, 01:31
Anyone who's interested, I've just uploaded a set of photos from Corsa. You'll find them up on flickr (http://flickr.com/photos/brucey66/sets/72157602508610331/).

My brother Keith McKinnon was out at the stages and took them all.

Cheers,

Bruce.