PDA

View Full Version : High level stupidity

tinchote
27th September 2007, 23:42
(I don't have an English link for this, although the original article is said to be in the Los Angeles Times)

The Los Angeles Times published an article showing that a certain building belonging to the US Army had the shape of a Nazi svastica cross.

Believe or not, the US Army will spend $600,000 to change the aerial appearance of the building (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/Varios/GaleriaImagenes/GaleriaImagenes.asp?nota_id=947949&imagen_id=723476&categoria_id=812&publicacion_id=17267) :eek:

BDunnell
27th September 2007, 23:44
Yes, I'm sure people could be easily influenced by that and turn to Nazism.

BeansBeansBeans
27th September 2007, 23:57
It's a fairly pointless exercise to change the aerial appearance of the building, but it's also quite clear that the architect knew exactly what he was doing when designing this series of buildings.

BDunnell
28th September 2007, 00:15
Much like this chap, as reported in the gardening club news of the Bournemouth Evening Echo in 1995:

'Mrs Eileen Graham, of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience with her reminiscence of the German prisoner of war who was sent each week to tend her garden. 'He was repatriated at the end of 1945', she recalled. 'He always seemed a nice, friendly chap, but when the crocuses he'd planted came up in the middle of my lawn in the spring of 1946, they spelt out 'Heil Hitler'.'

tinchote
28th September 2007, 05:20
It's a fairly pointless exercise to change the aerial appearance of the building, but it's also quite clear that the architect knew exactly what he was doing when designing this series of buildings.

I'm not so sure. If you look at the picture I linked to, the buildings around the questioned building have similar shapes, although not exactly the same. Being one among many, it's not that obvious that it was done on purpose.

LotusElise
28th September 2007, 11:53
I've seen that picture before somewhere. It's not quite a swastika because the buildings don't actually form the cross-piece in the middle though.

Eki
28th September 2007, 13:43
I'm not so sure. If you look at the picture I linked to, the buildings around the questioned building have similar shapes, although not exactly the same. Being one among many, it's not that obvious that it was done on purpose.
Yes, and if people didn't know what to look for, they may not even notice it. Especially if those heavy shadows weren't there. It would just look like four L-shaped buildings.

Daniel
28th September 2007, 14:24
Much like this chap, as reported in the gardening club news of the Bournemouth Evening Echo in 1995:

'Mrs Eileen Graham, of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience with her reminiscence of the German prisoner of war who was sent each week to tend her garden. 'He was repatriated at the end of 1945', she recalled. 'He always seemed a nice, friendly chap, but when the crocuses he'd planted came up in the middle of my lawn in the spring of 1946, they spelt out 'Heil Hitler'.'
Funny :D

ChrisS
28th September 2007, 14:45

Maybe he/she was a Buddhist

LeonBrooke
28th September 2007, 14:48
I've seen that picture before somewhere. It's not quite a swastika because the buildings don't actually form the cross-piece in the middle though.

No need to split hairs :D

That is funny.

schmenke
28th September 2007, 16:31
Maybe he/she was a Buddhist

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Nazis borrowed the swastika from the Buhddist cross.

janneppi
28th September 2007, 17:13
That's closer to the old Finnish airforce svastika than the nazi model since it's aligned with the surrounding roads instead of being in a 45 degree angle compared to them. ;)

Eki
28th September 2007, 17:41
That's closer to the old Finnish airforce svastika than the nazi model since it's aligned with the surrounding roads instead of being in a 45 degree angle compared to them. ;)
Air Force? It was also on tanks. I thought you'd knew that:

http://www.ainurin.net/history/finnish_swastika.htm

http://www.ainurin.net/history/images/swastika/tankki_risti.jpg

janneppi
28th September 2007, 18:07
They are completely different :D