PDA

View Full Version : how things vary in time

millencolin
30th December 2006, 12:58
bit of a nothing thread but i found this interesting so i thought id share

i picked up an old copy of australasian motorsport news that i had lying round the house. this particular issue was from the 16th october 2000. i found it interesting just browsing through the news and seeing what has changed

in this issue, on the front cover was Mark Webber after his very impressive test where he debut for Benneton and was faster than Junquiera, Pizzonia, WURZ and FISICHELLA and Ralf Schumacher (now red bull driver... )

Jason Bright was testing for Della Penna motorsport ahead of his Debut in champcars for his one and only race at Surfers Paradise (and was on track to finish 7th before hitting debris)

in Motogp they interviewed the winner of the latest round... Garry McCoy

Bobby Rahal was appointed to run Jagf1 (and got fired after 12 months or so)

Michael Andretti announced a move to Team green in a satalitte (sp) team with motorola (a team he would end up bying and send to the IRL)

Prost Grand Prix annouced they will race with Ferrari Engines in 2001 (thier last season before going broke)

Montoya FINALLY got confirmed to drive for Williams in 2001 (to end up moving to mclaren then NASCAR)

Minardi was sold... well 70% of it, to PSN (aparently)

Toyota ran its first prototype F1 engine

James Courtney was racing and winning in Euro Formula Ford (now racing V8supercars)

Marcus Ambrose had a bad run at the F3 masters and DNF (now twice v8champ and driving in busch/nextel cup nascar)

Sauber Looks to Raikkonen (and now look at him)

Carl Fogarty Quits after failing to recover from injuries

Ganassi tested fro replacements in Champcars, Junquiera, Minassian, Casey Mears and Buddy Rice (Junky and Minassian chosen, Minassian fired after being slow, Junky went to becoming the perrenial bridsemaid of champcar, Mears had a run in champcars before NASCAR, Rice went and won the Indy500 but made a start in the last CC round for Forsythe)

Neil Crompton announced that he would be leaving FTR (to go to 00 motorsport, then become the best damn expert commentator around)

Latest winners of races were

Juan Montoya in Champcars after Andretti's engine blew up after lapping everyone bar Juan at Gateway

michael Schumacher at the first USGP at IMS

Townsend Bell won the Indy Lights race at Gateway

interesting hey...

BeansBeansBeans
30th December 2006, 14:44
That's cool mate. I've got loads of old Autosports from 1991 -1997, and it's always fun to look back at the old news and old photos. It's best when you see a small article about someone who's gone on to great things.

millencolin
30th December 2006, 14:51
thats exactly what the raikkonen thing was like.. little article that i thought nothing of really... and BAM!!! look at him now

while the Webber article was massive (given its an Aussie mag) it was promising wins... but so far... hmmm...

Brown, Jon Brow
30th December 2006, 15:16
thats exactly what the raikkonen thing was like.. little article that i thought nothing of really... and BAM!!! look at him now

while the Webber article was massive (given its an Aussie mag) it was promising wins... but so far... hmmm...

I recently read a 1999 Autosport where Raikkonen quits the Formula Renault Uk series (I think) because he is getting beat in every race by Pizzonia!!!

Iain
30th December 2006, 15:37
I've got Autosports going back to 1993 and it's interesting to look at them and see exactly what has changed and who has made it big.

Even looking at old race programmes is interesting. I've seen the likes of Montoya, Kimi and many other F1 drivers race at Knockhill in their early days! Never really dawned on me back then that they could make it big.

jso1985
31st December 2006, 20:50
I have one Mexican cars magazine from october 1998, where in the sports section the most interesting note is that F300 champion Juan Pablo Montoya is the main favourite to replace Jos Verstappen at Stewart next season