PDA

View Full Version : Pottery

Caroline
26th September 2007, 17:56
That's 'Pottery for pleasure'.

Starting evening classes tonight and need to know some stuff. Anyone with any knowledge can reply :)

1. What do you wear? Just exactly how messy can it get?
2. How long does it take to become proficient?
3. How much exactly can you learn in 10 sessions?

janneppi
26th September 2007, 18:08
Did you by any chance saw the movie Ghost last night?
;)

GridGirl
26th September 2007, 18:25
I have never made pottery but I have a few clients at work that are involed in the pottery industry in some way or another. Its very messy from what I've seen of the factories and my car always gets turned white through bone ash which goes into making bone china.

I dont think you'll be anywhere near proficient after 10 lesson but it'll be fun. :D

jim mcglinchey
26th September 2007, 18:42
[quote="GridGirl"]

Nonsense, you'll be making penis shaped salt and pepper dispensers to rival any of the Delft products that you'd see in the Amsterdam tourist shops in no time.

CharlieJ
26th September 2007, 18:45
Answers:

1) A Sou' Wester is good - and... very!

2) Depends how good you are with your hands ("OO-er missus" shouts some wag in the background) :rolleyes:
3) Just how much more there is to learn! ;)

Enjoy.

Malbec
26th September 2007, 19:19

1. Very, take an apron if they don't supply one and don't wear anything you're not willing to throw away (if you're not using a wheel don't bother though)
2. Not long if you're not using a wheel, eternity if you are
3. Again depends on whether you're using a wheel or not.

Firstgear
26th September 2007, 19:58
Didn't you play with Plah-Doh when you were a kid? Working with pottery is exactly the same, except now that you're grown up you probably won't have quite so much of an urge to eat the stuff.

Hazell B
26th September 2007, 22:03

Expect you've already been and returned, but I'll answer anyway.
Rags. Very, very, very. Don't get any clay in your eyelashes ;)
Depends if natural ability. I have none, so never.
By lesson two you'll learn about the nearest pub. Lesson three will mainly cover the past week's TV and lesson four bad relationships. By lesson ten you'll have a wobbly ashtray and an intimate knowledge of Vera next door's husband's snoring :p :

And janneppi beat me to the Ghost pun :mark:

oily oaf
27th September 2007, 05:38
Yes it can be extremely messy but not a patch on the time when you visited "The Festival Of Wood"

I hope this helps.
No don't thank me :mad:

(dons Patrick "Monkey Boy" Swayze mask and starts to sing. "Now ahv'e head the tarm of mah liiiiiife and ah owe it all to youuuuuuuuu" etc)

Daniel
27th September 2007, 10:02
I personally think my pig is better than Caroline's. Mine's got big ears, non-silly eyes, a proper piggy tail and it's just better :mark: The average age of the people seemed to be about 300 :mark: I'm surprised a lot of them made it after the recent excitement with Northern Rock :p I did suggest a "Ghost" moment but Caroline said she thinks Patrick Swayze (sp?) is weird.

LotusElise
27th September 2007, 10:34
Oh help - Danny Potter is upon us!