PDA

View Full Version : Is "black" music on the way out?

Daniel
26th September 2007, 13:52
Has anyone noticed that cRap and hippedy hoppy music and so on seems to be getting displaced by "softly spoken white people" music? You've got the Plain White T's, Lily "I don't sing, I just talk over music" Allen, Kate Nash and so many others that seem to be pushing their softly spoken music which appears to be getting more and more popular these days. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this is happening too?

rah
26th September 2007, 13:58
Has anyone noticed that cRap and hippedy hoppy music and so on seems to be getting displaced by "softly spoken white people" music? You've got the Plain White T's, Lily "I don't sing, I just talk over music" Allen, Kate Nash and so many others that seem to be pushing their softly spoken music which appears to be getting more and more popular these days. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this is happening too?

Not on my radio station.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th September 2007, 14:01
Maybe cRAP and Hip Hop seem to be going 'out' because I try to avoid listening to it.

Maybe it's just the case in the UK because we have lots of new singer/songwriters and indie bands getting popular. (few will last though ;) )

Daniel
26th September 2007, 14:04
Not on my radio station.
Insightful comment if I ever saw one. :dozey:

Jon, I think if the new wave of boring artists can dislodge cRap and hippey hoppy music from the market then it's all good. Something good will come along to replace it :)

jim mcglinchey
26th September 2007, 14:05
My first ever thread was about Rap music seeming to have been about forever..well since about 1980 and grand master flash and the furious five but lately there has been a resurgence of guitar and drums, so ,yeah, I'd agree.

BeansBeansBeans
26th September 2007, 14:10
Lily Allen's music is heavily influenced by reggae and hip-hop, so she isn't a good example of a disappearance of black music. Kate Nash is very kitchen-sink indie and the Plain White Ts are just rubbish.

Daniel
26th September 2007, 14:14
Lily Allen's music is heavily influenced by reggae and hip-hop, so she isn't a good example of a disappearance of black music. Kate Nash is very kitchen-sink indie and the Plain White Ts are just rubbish.
But Lily isn't the typical down in "tha ghetto wit her niggaz and her pimpz" kind of person though. She may be influenced by hip hopscotch but she's diluting it and that's good. It's still very "white" to me :)

Brown, Jon Brow
26th September 2007, 14:18

The pop and rock bands of the 60's were heavily influenced by black music. Yet Beatles and Rolling Stones aren't said to make 'black' music.

Daniel
26th September 2007, 14:21
The pop and rock bands of the 60's were heavily influenced by black music. Yet Beatles and Rolling Stones are said to make 'black' music.
A good point. Everyone is or at least claims to be influenced by everone else. I don't mind black music. I can listen to Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and other black music but I hate this ghetto niggaz pimpz and honeyZ rubbish :mark: Now let's all sing Pass the dutchie together :D

rah
26th September 2007, 14:52
A good point. Everyone is or at least claims to be influenced by everone else. I don't mind black music. I can listen to Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and other black music but I hate this ghetto niggaz pimpz and honeyZ rubbish :mark: Now let's all sing Pass the dutchie together :D

There is some good hip hop around, you just have to look for it. If the artist mentions himself more than a few times in a song, its probably not good hip hop. As for the new music coming through, there is some good stuff and bad stuff. There always has been.

Daniel
26th September 2007, 15:03
There is some good hip hop around, you just have to look for it. If the artist mentions himself more than a few times in a song, its probably not good hip hop. As for the new music coming through, there is some good stuff and bad stuff. There always has been.
Yes but I don't really like that style of music at all. A lot of people on this forum don't really like that sort of thing either. Good and bad music coming out is as inevitable as the earth warming or cooling through natural factors..

rah
26th September 2007, 15:08
Yes but I don't really like that style of music at all. A lot of people on this forum don't really like that sort of thing either. Good and bad music coming out is as inevitable as the earth warming or cooling through natural factors..

Lol, fair enough. Some I like, some I don't, but I could say that about lots of genres.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th September 2007, 15:22
UK Top 10

1)SEAN KINGSTON - cRap
2)50 CENT/TIMBERLAKE/TIMBALAND - cRap/HipHop
3)PLAIN WHITE T'S - Pop/Rock
4)KANYE WEST - cRap
5)JAMES BLUNT - acoustic pop
6)BABYSHAMBLES - indie rock
7)SCOUTING FOR GIRLS - Pop/Rock
8)FOO FIGHTERS - Alternative Rock
9)RIHANNA - Hip Hop
10)TIMBALAND FT KERI HILSON - HipHop

I wouldn't say 'Black' music is dying. But what's happened to the cheesy pop bands that dominated the charts during the late 90's?

Daniel
26th September 2007, 15:26
Yes but cRap is on the decline :)

Eki
26th September 2007, 15:29
I here Eminem is doing a come-back.

Drew
26th September 2007, 15:30
I don't know, I go to university all we ever get here is indie. Not a whole lot of rap or urban.

I imagine if it goes away, it'll just come back revitalised...

BeansBeansBeans
26th September 2007, 15:33
1)SEAN KINGSTON - cRap

Reggae, surely.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th September 2007, 15:39
I don't know :\

Daniel
26th September 2007, 15:41
Reggae, surely.
He sounds like he's singing with a bad indian accent to me.

BeansBeansBeans
26th September 2007, 15:41
I don't know :\

Well, he won Best Reggae Artist at the MOBO awards.

So he isn't cRAP, but he's definitely Crap :p :

veeten
26th September 2007, 15:43
Rap & Hip-Hop...

"makin' de' white folks nervus fo' ova' 25 years"... :uhoh:

;) :p :

Daniel
26th September 2007, 15:47
Rap & Hip-Hop...

"makin' de' white folks nervus fo' ova' 25 years"... :uhoh:

;) :p :
Big it op fo' veeten big styliez :mark:

A.F.F.
26th September 2007, 16:05
I've been wondering for how long will this hippedy hop music cycle last. That's what this is, cycles, right ? Well, hippedy hoppedy and rappedy pappedy music should should be out already. Are they? Noooo.

Now it is so cool to be black in music industry. Guess who is the blackest? My man Justin. He is so black that he is novadays almost street confident.

Whatever happened to carage bands. I miss them.

Daniel
26th September 2007, 16:11
All cycles come to an end though. In Australia it used to be great to be Japanese or south East Asian back in the late 90's but it's now popular to be black now.

I'm sure being black will become less popular in a few years. There's only so much chip shop, Rank naff Beats and cRap that people can take :)

In Australia we call people like JT "wiggers" :uhoh:

A.F.F.
26th September 2007, 16:19
Yes but in the past it was all about the music. Now it so much bigger. Rappedy pappedy artists are trade marks selling everything from sneakers to deodorants.

Can you imagine Nirvana releasing cloth brand ??

Before MTV people said; yeah, I've heard that song.
After MTV they said; Yeah, I've seen that video.
Now they say; Yeah, I bought that pair of sneakers.

:rolleyes:

I like regulators though. "They took wallet, they took my rolex, I said to my brothers, damn what's next". :D

Daniel
26th September 2007, 16:22
It was a clear black night,
a clear white moon
AFF was on the streets,
trying to consume
Some skirts for the eve,
so I can get some funk
Just rollin' in his Skoda,
chillin' all alone

That's the stuff :D

A.F.F.
26th September 2007, 17:05
Daniel felt me so deep
that he sent me some sheep
little did he know
i'm not all alone
i have wife
and Skoda like a rocket
bro
stick that in your pocket.

Storm
26th September 2007, 17:09
I don't care if softly spoken white or whatever pushes out cRap/hip-hop out of mainstream popular music because I listen to neither :p :

but I know there is too much of hip-hop, poppy rock and indie stuff around.
Thankfully all the boy band sh*t seems to have gone away

veeten
27th September 2007, 13:20
Whatever happened to carage bands. I miss them.

I think you mean 'garage bands'.

They're still around, it's just that many have taken new directions in gaining listeners, fans, and popularity. With the advent of viral video (youtube, my space, etc.), many of these bands aren't restricted to just getting notice by major recording labels.

Remember, many of those Rap & Hip-Hop artists were part of the D-I-Y style of performing & producing, by recording, mixing, and producing their own material. By doing all this themselves, and the response of the communities that they grew up around, the response was quite good, so much so that it wasn't long before the major labels also noticed.

schmenke
27th September 2007, 15:48
UK Top 10

1)SEAN KINGSTON - cRap
4)KANYE WEST - cRap
9)RIHANNA - Hip Hop

That's quite sad actually... :mark:

A.F.F.
27th September 2007, 16:18
I think you mean 'garage bands'.

Yes, my bad.

God for bid Youtube. No other way to get own videos on air :up:

Crypt
27th September 2007, 22:20
I would be OK with rap being around if it wasn't for the message most of the garbage rap sends to people. It teaches that it's cool to be a "thug", treat women like "hoes" and to rob to get money. This basis for this behavior I believe stems from a huge amount of insecurity in the person and their need to get "respect".

I blame the dads who were never there to teach the boys to be men.

BDunnell
27th September 2007, 22:55
I sometimes think it's a bit unfair to single this sort of music out. There are plenty of other cultural influences on people that could also be said to have unpleasant effects, and plenty that can't.

A.F.F.
28th September 2007, 06:51
I personally don't mind them sending messages. I just mind them leaving no room for others. But I guess it's gonna change sometime in the future :mark:

RaikkonenRules
28th September 2007, 08:39
UK Top 10

1)SEAN KINGSTON - cRap
4)KANYE WEST - cRap
9)RIHANNA - Hip Hop

I wouldn't say 'Black' music is dying. But what's happened to the cheesy pop bands that dominated the charts during the late 90's?

4)KANYE WEST - cRap That song is the official worst song ever desigened by man. It's a complete mess. If that was done as recently as last year that would easily kill off his career. :p :

Daniel
28th September 2007, 09:29
Yes but in the past it was all about the music. Now it so much bigger. Rappedy pappedy artists are trade marks selling everything from sneakers to deodorants.

Can you imagine Nirvana releasing cloth brand ??

Before MTV people said; yeah, I've heard that song.
After MTV they said; Yeah, I've seen that video.
Now they say; Yeah, I bought that pair of sneakers.

:rolleyes:

I like regulators though. "They took wallet, they took my rolex, I said to my brothers, damn what's next". :D
OMG they're playin' yo' song on the radio now AFF :D Not heard this song for aaaaaaages :cheese:

cobre
28th September 2007, 21:19
To call either cRap or Hip-Hop "music", is an insult to the sense's IMO.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th September 2007, 22:57
To call either cRap or Hip-Hop "music", is an insult to the sense's IMO.

sorry :uhoh:

Crypt
28th September 2007, 23:03
I sometimes think it's a bit unfair to single this sort of music out. There are plenty of other cultural influences on people that could also be said to have unpleasant effects, and plenty that can't.

Oh I totally agree. But since this was a thread about rap...

jso1985
29th September 2007, 00:41
at least you don't get reggaeton all the bloody time on any radio station :mark:

Drew
29th September 2007, 02:34
at least you don't get reggaeton all the bloody time on any radio station :mark:

But the music videos are the best :up: :p :

wedge
30th September 2007, 22:15

Hey there, stop the hate!

It just shows you how important Hip Hop has become. Everyone thinks it's a fad that would die out but it hasn't. It all started in the mid-70s by a DJ named Kool Herc who spawned 'block parties' in the Bronx, NYC and now its international - French, Afikaan, Japanese hip hop acts.

I love my music and l love hip hop. The pop charts doesn't represent the full hip hop community. Even though I hate most of the turd in pop charts, there is such a thing as 'indie' or independent hip hop (AKA good hip hop, IMO). There are rappers against the macho-ism, bling-bling, female derogatories and are more likely to rap with leftfield leanings. Rappers aren't necessarily glorifying the gun crime and violence but observations of the contemporary ghetto community.

If you don't like it then fair enough, but I love music and I try to make an effort to look for good music instead relying of on radio playlists.

CarlMetro
1st October 2007, 16:43
Give me Cypress Hill or Public Enemy over Kate 'maybe it's because I is a Londoner' Nash or Lily 'Yeah well me dad's famous innit' Allan any day of the week :D

Daniel
1st October 2007, 18:56
Give me Cypress Hill or Public Enemy over Kate 'maybe it's because I is a Londoner' Nash or Lily 'Yeah well me dad's famous innit' Allan any day of the week :D
I agree. But most of the modern stuff is crap :) So are Kate Nash and Lily "I like talking over songs innit" Allan to be fair ;)

Garry Walker
2nd October 2007, 21:29
I question the sanity of anyone who likes hip-hop and cRap

millencolin
3rd October 2007, 06:59
i dont listen to much commercial radio here but from what ive noticed is that cRap is reducing and there seems to be more crap emo 'rock' like fall out boy (they should learn how to spell, and if i hear that song one more time i may well go insane) and dance kinda music. But its still there, Snoopy dog still has a presense

BeansBeansBeans
3rd October 2007, 09:45
I question the sanity of anyone who likes hip-hop and cRap

I must be insane by your definition because I had the excellent Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys on in my car this morning. Or are they okay because they're white?

Garry Walker
3rd October 2007, 22:52
Or are they okay because they're white?

:rotflmao: Good one and so original too, an accusation of racism. See the tears in my eye, I will apologize soon for sure :rotflmao:
Your comment is filth and deserves no more comments from me.

BeansBeansBeans
4th October 2007, 17:05
Your comment is filth and deserves no more comments from me.

I apologise.

I shouldn't have said it.