thank you
Martin

SubaruNorway
23rd September 2007, 22:03
nope fortunatly

fdebruyne
23rd September 2007, 22:03
No, Mexico will not be part of WRC in 2008
Yes, Mexico will run in 2008, part of the IRC.

playmo
24th September 2007, 15:51
For 2008 it's very likely that IRC will run, but i think a lot of teams will skip it.

nope fortunatly

Why is that?

xavier
24th September 2007, 18:30
Why is that?

Because of the failure of the organisation to prevent the stupid and dangerous action of some specatators.

The rally was a disgrace this year. We are lucky no drivers suffered any injuries due to these idiots. And the organisation should have known it would happened as it already had happened in 2005.

Langdale Forest
24th September 2007, 19:12
Were some spectators closing gates infront of cars?

gloomyDAY
25th September 2007, 00:06
I went this year to WRC Mexico and it was fantastic. The organization could have been a lot better, but for the most part all of the fans enjoyed their stay. The driver's also seemed content with the rally. I'm not sure there is any reason to bad mouth the event, but I'm sure something will do it anyhow.

I'm looking forward to another round in Mexico. I love going down there to vacation anyway, so why not take a look at the IRC?

playmo
25th September 2007, 16:31
The thing of spectators throwing rocks (large ones) at cars is really un-acceptable, and the guess around the matter is angry locals. But then again, there are always idiots around WRC, remember the ones that throw water in a corner in MC?, or the stupid that crashed on to solberg's car (guess it was sardinia, don't quite remember well)?

The thing with the gate was that Higgins crashed on to it and shut it open.

Aside this, i had attended to the 4 events and never see anything that could compromise the safety of the drivers in any way (liasson and competitive stages), but guess there will always be something left to criticise.

Langdale Forest
25th September 2007, 18:42
People throwing snow onto the roads in MC has been a problem for years.

Putting obstructions in the road and throwing things at cars has also been a problem in the past.

jonas_mcrae
27th September 2007, 14:20
Have you been there Xavier? dont think so...
I admit the fans are not the best of the best but hey there are bad spectators everywhere at least we dont crash into rally cars like in Grece.
and I think some team will skip it because its too far away for Europe based teams

flamencoracer
28th November 2007, 13:34
OK, so if there is going to be a WRC Mexico 2008, where is the info on it? I can find no info on tours, etc, and the rally mexico site is essentially non-existent. Does anyone have any info on spectating there for 2008?

DonJippo
28th November 2007, 14:38
OK, so if there is going to be a WRC Mexico 2008, where is the info on it? I can find no info on tours, etc, and the rally mexico site is essentially non-existent. Does anyone have any info on spectating there for 2008?

There is no WRC in Mexico 2008 only IRC. I'm sure IRC have info about it on their own webpages.

Roy
28th November 2007, 14:47
There is no WRC in Mexico 2008 only IRC. I'm sure IRC have info about it on their own webpages.

That is not right. There is no rally in Australia, S. Africa, Poland and Cyprus. The FIA decided to have a rally again in Mexico.
It was unannounced 24.10.2007. It was at this forum already known.

2008 FIA World Rally Championship
24 - 27/1 MC 76e Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo
8 - 10/2 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
28/2 - 2/3 MEX Rally Mexico
27 - 30/3 RA Rally Argentina
24 - 27/4 HKJ Jordan Rally WRC
16 - 18/5 I Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna
29/5 - 1/6 GR BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally
13 - 15/6 TR Rally of Turkey
31/7 - 3/8 FIN Neste Oil Rally Finland
15 - 17/8 D ADAC Rallye Deutschland
28 - 31/8 NZ Rally of New Zealand
2 - 5/10 E Rallye de Espaņa
10 - 12/10 F Rallye de France Tour de Corse
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan
28 - 30/11 GB Wales Rally GB

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/October/241007-01.html

DonJippo
28th November 2007, 15:04
You are right my bad.

Tomi
28th November 2007, 15:11
I think the biggest problem in events outside europe is lack of privateers in WRC, also else the entry usually is quite lousy.
What comes to people who throw stones, snow on the road or in other ways try to kill the drivers i belive it's difficult to deal with, but a good start would be if there is any rallyfans around, they could maybe do something to those morons.
I could not imagine anyone doing things like that here, or if then it would be the last he would do.

Corny
28th November 2007, 15:16
That is not right. There is no rally in Australia, S. Africa, Poland and Cyprus. The FIA decided to have a rally again in Mexico.
It was unannounced 24.10.2007. It was at this forum already known.

2008 FIA World Rally Championship
24 - 27/1 MC 76e Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo
8 - 10/2 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
28/2 - 2/3 MEX Rally Mexico
27 - 30/3 RA Rally Argentina
24 - 27/4 HKJ Jordan Rally WRC
16 - 18/5 I Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna
29/5 - 1/6 GR BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally
13 - 15/6 TR Rally of Turkey
31/7 - 3/8 FIN Neste Oil Rally Finland
15 - 17/8 D ADAC Rallye Deutschland
28 - 31/8 NZ Rally of New Zealand
2 - 5/10 E Rallye de Espaņa
10 - 12/10 F Rallye de France Tour de Corse
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan
28 - 30/11 GB Wales Rally GB

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/October/241007-01.html
Not great, but at least better than Cyprus

L5->R5/CR
28th November 2007, 16:33
I think the biggest problem in events outside europe is lack of privateers in WRC, also else the entry usually is quite lousy.
What comes to people who throw stones, snow on the road or in other ways try to kill the drivers i belive it's difficult to deal with, but a good start would be if there is any rallyfans around, they could maybe do something to those morons.
I could not imagine anyone doing things like that here, or if then it would be the last he would do.

I know you made the comment to include non-Mexico incidents.

Since this is the closest event to me I just wanted to re-point out the frequent stupidity that happens at Monte Carlo. At least none of the Mexico spectator incidents have taken out leading teams (or maybe teams at all for that matter?).

Something needs to be done though, it is arguably, force majeure (sp?).

jonas_mcrae
28th November 2007, 21:39
The thing about bad spectators in Mexico is because of drunken people, but at least there are marshals like every 100m-200m of competitive km's and theres a big presence of police too. I went this year to spain and I could only see marshals in road accesses to the stages or end/start of stages, all the rest only the helicopters were able to put some order. Nothing happened and the event was great but i saw some people in very dangerous spots or being too close to the road and no one saying anything. and lets face it if rally want to stay alive it HAS to be somewhere in north america!

drew3007
28th November 2007, 21:55
I really wish there was a WRC event in the USA. It is cool that the X-Games are bringing it to the mainstream but it isn't WRC. Maybe 2009? *prays to the rally gods*

gloomyDAY
29th November 2007, 01:18
I really wish there was a WRC event in the USA. It is cool that the X-Games are bringing it to the mainstream but it isn't WRC. Maybe 2009? *prays to the rally gods*
I'll pray with you!

Rally Mexico is the closest WRC event to any American. Also, I went this year (first WRC event) and had an amazing time. Everyone was polite and I never ran into any trouble. There was some jerk lobbing rocks onto the road prior to the running and I yelled for him to stop. I just put my foot down before any idiocy began to happen.

On another note, WRC should exploit the North American market! More teams should get involved and make rally a household name. Difficult? Yes. I just hope it's doable in the near future and keep rallying from fading.

Doug Woods
29th November 2007, 02:18
....and lets face it if rally want to stay alive it HAS to be somewhere in north america!

Why do you say that?

The WRC does not have to be in North America to be successful.

And rallying in North America certainly does not need a WRC event. Well, let me put a caveat on that statement. The Mexicans may want (or perhaps need) a WRC event. But a WRC event is the last thing that we need right now in the USA or Canada.

gloomyDAY
29th November 2007, 03:26
Why do you say that?

The WRC does not have to be in North America to be successful.

And rallying in North America certainly does not need a WRC event. Well, let me put a caveat on that statement. The Mexicans may want (or perhaps need) a WRC event. But a WRC event is the last thing that we need right now in the USA or Canada.
Why?

I'm saying that making the sport popular here in North America is a great incentive for fans/sponsors. No one has any idea of a rally if you don't set foot on their home turf. There are millions of dollars in revenue if the WRC turned an eye over our way and paid some atttention. A strong fan base could be formed, which will take years of marketing, and then we can all enjoy rallying.

janvanvurpa
29th November 2007, 05:57
Why?

I'm saying that making the sport popular here in North America is a great incentive for fans/sponsors. No one has any idea of a rally if you don't set foot on their home turf. There are millions of dollars in revenue if the WRC turned an eye over our way and paid some atttention. A strong fan base could be formed, which will take years of marketing, and then we can all enjoy rallying.

Get real guy, there are not the cars enough to to fill the field. We're averaging 25-35 entries at National Championship events.
A few more at a few. But thats every car from 60s cars thru the 4-6 cars of the Super-rich and a couple of Trustafarians.

The skill level is not there either.

USA and Chanda doesn't need some glitzy show at the top end, they both need a broader and more numerous base.

IF we believe that some advantage could be gained by having a high exposure event such as the WRC--if it actually got any exposure--- the likely beneficiaries would be those few that might get coverage due to contracts between their sponsors and the TV producers, regardless of how exceedingly modest--or embarrassing their results might be.

It is extremely doubtful that a WRC event would benefit "the Sport" much less 99% of the current (or recently current) participants.

Magnus
29th November 2007, 08:09
I am actually thinking about going there this winter. have not decided yet though...itīs quite far and you have your expectations a little bit higher than when youre going to the swedish rally.

L5->R5/CR
29th November 2007, 14:41
Get real guy, there are not the cars enough to to fill the field. We're averaging 25-35 entries at National Championship events.
A few more at a few. But thats every car from 60s cars thru the 4-6 cars of the Super-rich and a couple of Trustafarians.

The skill level is not there either.

USA and Chanda doesn't need some glitzy show at the top end, they both need a broader and more numerous base.

IF we believe that some advantage could be gained by having a high exposure event such as the WRC--if it actually got any exposure--- the likely beneficiaries would be those few that might get coverage due to contracts between their sponsors and the TV producers, regardless of how exceedingly modest--or embarrassing their results might be.

It is extremely doubtful that a WRC event would benefit "the Sport" much less 99% of the current (or recently current) participants.

Dammit, I'm agreeing with John in public again.

Let Travis go dabble in the PWRC and see what happens. Rallying is too expensive in the US to have to deal with the costs of a WRC and there are bigger fish to fry (like finding a way to make rallying financially sustainable for the middle and back of the pack racers).

Entry fees are high, sponsorship is still only minimally available, and too many cars/teams are either parked or doing 2 or less events a year. Roads and access is fleeting as well organizer turn over, we don't need to lose more events because of undue organizer burnout or organizational bankruptcy. Two wonderful Canadian events were lost to a WRC bid already in the last 10 years, the US can't afford to loose quality events to something like that when others are being chased out of their forests.

Going to Mexico, as long as you have your passport, will probably cost as much or less than going to a WRC in the US (unless it was close enough for you to stay at your house). It insulates the fledgling US rally scene and gives you the opportunity to also go on a vacation and enjoy some warmth in the winter. Sounds like a better deal than a US event to me!

playmo
29th November 2007, 15:41
I am actually thinking about going there this winter. have not decided yet though...itīs quite far and you have your expectations a little bit higher than when youre going to the swedish rally.

I would encourage you to come, but really the entry it's low (very) compared to what you guys over europe are used to, in total might be running 45 cars, and only 12 or 14 would be WRC's, and maybe 17 PWRC's; else would be locals on Group N and A6 (206).
Besides, the weather is great (still a bit colder, but i'm sure that not as cold as Sweden )
I's try to up pics anywhere from the event since 2004 so that you get another view (other than the pro's pic).

gloomyDAY
29th November 2007, 16:20
Going to Mexico, as long as you have your passport, will probably cost as much or less than going to a WRC in the US (unless it was close enough for you to stay at your house). It insulates the fledgling US rally scene and gives you the opportunity to also go on a vacation and enjoy some warmth in the winter. Sounds like a better deal than a US event to me!
I guess you're both are right about the plight WRC would face in North America. It's diffficult to admit that rallying would never get off the ground.

At least Mexico has good beer and nice scenery around Guanajuato. When I went to Rally Mexico in March there were a lot of foreigners, not only for the rally, but touring around the capital as well.

See you guys next year! I'm already making plans.