PDA

View Full Version : Driving Without M.O.T

BeansBeansBeans
23rd September 2007, 21:19
Silly me. I've just realised that my M.O.T ran out on the 13th Sept. I've been driving it as normal, luckily without incident or detection, but I guess I'll be jumping the Metro to work tomorrow.

What are the rules re: driving without an M.O.T? IIRC correctly I'm only allowed to drive it to the test centre and nowhere else. Just hope I can get it booked in somewhere sharpish!

Daniel
23rd September 2007, 21:31
Why don't they just send out a reminder? I think it a little silly they don't remind you of when your mot expires :mark:

Mark
24th September 2007, 13:45
Silly me. I've just realised that my M.O.T ran out on the 13th Sept. I've been driving it as normal, luckily without incident or detection, but I guess I'll be jumping the Metro to work tomorrow.

What are the rules re: driving without an M.O.T? IIRC correctly I'm only allowed to drive it to the test centre and nowhere else. Just hope I can get it booked in somewhere sharpish!

Not sure if I recall correctly but if you don't have an MOT this effectively means you also have no insurance, so you can be handed 6 points.

You are allowed to drive it to the test centre but only for a pre-booked MOT (so plod can check you are actually on your way there and don't just say "I'm on my way" every time)

Why don't they just send out a reminder? I think it a little silly they don't remind you of when your mot expires :mark:

Yes, quite stupid IMO. I was somewhat taken aback when I realised I wasn't going to get a notification.

Dave B
24th September 2007, 13:56
The new-styleee certificates have a sticker which you can put in your windscreen, but I agree it would be a lot more useful if they sent a reminder as they do with your road fund.

Mark
24th September 2007, 14:02
The new-styleee certificates have a sticker which you can put in your windscreen, but I agree it would be a lot more useful if they sent a reminder as they do with your road fund.

I didn't get a sticker! :( :p

Daniel
24th September 2007, 14:16
Or just have not MOT as we have in Western Australia! :p

I think it moronic that there aren't notifications sent out. I know my MOT due is in May but is it the 1st or the 31st? :mark: The sticker is a good idea but I've been told they fade easily and how many people actually check that all 4 wheels are still attached? How many would check the sticker? :mark:

Caroline
24th September 2007, 16:32
Or just have not MOT as we have in Western Australia! :p

I think it moronic that there aren't notifications sent out. I know my MOT due is in May but is it the 1st or the 31st? :mark:

Calendar, diary, wallplanner, girlfriend....they can all help you remember your MOT date.

;)

BeansBeansBeans
24th September 2007, 17:05
Oh well, I put it in today and it failed. The chassis is bent. I get an estimate tomorrow. Ouch.

Daniel
24th September 2007, 17:15
Oh well, I put it in today and it failed. The chassis is bent. I get an estimate tomorrow. Ouch.
How did that happen? :mark:

Caroline. Be quiet of I'll show you the back of me hand :arrows: :p

oily oaf
24th September 2007, 17:42

Ouch indeed old chap :(

We routinely give reminder stickers btw.
(blows on nails and buffs them vigorously on lapel)

BeansBeansBeans
24th September 2007, 18:34
How did that happen? :mark:

My girlfriend backed it into a bollard about 3 months ago. At the time, I was too skint to do anything about it, but I thought it was only cosmetic anyway (dinged bumber, dent in boot...etc). Anyway, it turns out there's quite a bit of damage to the chassis. I'm terrified of how much it's going to cost to fix. I'm even worried if it may be a write off. I find out tomorrow.

BeansBeansBeans
24th September 2007, 18:53
Ouch indeed old chap :(

What am I looking at Oily? 100s or 1000s? Kind of impossible without seeing the car I know! I'm clutching at straws.

jim mcglinchey
24th September 2007, 19:03
We get a nice reminder form the Dept of Vehicle Licensing here in NI, but the service hasnt been privatised here so your car is not tested by someone who's trying to flog you repair work, its tested by someones who's..er, trying to get himself more overtime work.

BeansBeansBeans
24th September 2007, 19:11
We get a nice reminder form the Dept of Vehicle Licensing here in NI, but the service hasnt been privatised here so your car is not tested by someone who's trying to flog you repair work, its tested by someones who's..er, trying to get himself more overtime work.

:p :

I've decided that the best course of action is to drink lots of lager and listen to The Smiths. It probably won't seem like the best course of action tomorrow morning, but c'est la vie.

Daniel
24th September 2007, 19:19
My girlfriend backed it into a bollard about 3 months ago. At the time, I was too skint to do anything about it, but I thought it was only cosmetic anyway (dinged bumber, dent in boot...etc). Anyway, it turns out there's quite a bit of damage to the chassis. I'm terrified of how much it's going to cost to fix. I'm even worried if it may be a write off. I find out tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that :(

BeansBeansBeans
24th September 2007, 19:33
Sorry to hear that :(

Cheers mate :up:

Never mind, if it turns out to be written off, I'll be looking for a sub £1000 2nd hand car. It'll be fun. I'm sure it will be fun.

Daniel
24th September 2007, 19:42
Cheers mate :up:

Never mind, if it turns out to be written off, I'll be looking for a sub £1000 2nd hand car. It'll be fun. I'm sure it will be fun.
Get a 406 and be like Daniel. You know you want to be like me :p

BeansBeansBeans
24th September 2007, 19:49
Get a 406 and be like Daniel. You know you want to be like me :p

Daniel, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm about to put in an audacious bid to borrow my father-in-law's BMW. He's away in Sweden at the moment. He's a bit of an eco-warrior. I'm going to try and convince him that it's a waste of resources to have his Beemer sat on the drive doing nowt.

schmenke
24th September 2007, 20:20
No MOT here. We can drive just about any old piece of junk on the roads :mark:

(Oily wears lapels...? :mark: )

Daniel
24th September 2007, 20:26
Daniel, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm about to put in an audacious bid to borrow my father-in-law's BMW. He's away in Sweden at the moment. He's a bit of an eco-warrior. I'm going to try and convince him that it's a waste of resources to have his Beemer sat on the drive doing nowt.
In all seriousness my oily burning 406 is a good car :) Best thing about it is that it is it's own mobile smokescreen. Got to love going through a 30 zone at 30 with someone right up your butt and putting it in 5th and flooring it :D They doesn't know what's hit them.

CarlMetro
24th September 2007, 23:57

You see :rolleyes: Now you know for certain that, in some way or another, you're going to suffer for making a comment like that. Some guys never learn :p :

Of course the alternative is to buy a nice shiney new car and replace it before it actually needs an MOT ;)

oily oaf
25th September 2007, 07:17
What am I looking at Oily? 100s or 1000s? Kind of impossible without seeing the car I know! I'm clutching at straws.

Sorry Beans I only read this this morning.
As you rightfully point out it's hellish difficult to estimate a job without seeing the extent of damage or knowing a garage's hourly tariff ec but I will venture that my greasy Northern counterparts will no doubt try to realine the errant chassis rail on a jig but whether they will emerge triumphant from their travails is somewhat doubtfull.
I would hazard a guess that you are currently the owner of a Category C write off in which case take the money and leg it.
Dont despair however as you may well be pleasantly surprised at the sum bestowed upon you by your friendly insurance boys.
Direct Line are particularly open-handed in this regard I am reliably informed.
And Hey with all that extra wonga you can treat the little one to something dinky to wear and for your lovely lady, what better than a fetching pair of sexy, secretary style bins from Specsavers ;)

(Tosses head coquettishly and allows flowing tresses to tumble about bare shoulders)
My guvnor's voice: "Why Miss Oaf! You're beautiful"
FACT! :mad:

Let us know how you get on anyway mate.

Daniel
25th September 2007, 08:10
You see :rolleyes: Now you know for certain that, in some way or another, you're going to suffer for making a comment like that. Some guys never learn :p :

Of course the alternative is to buy a nice shiney new car and replace it before it actually needs an MOT

Ah but both of our cars passed with the most minor bits of work being done ;) Mine needed a bulb replacing and some gunk cleaning out of the seat belt mechanism as well as two tyres which I replaced before I did the MOT. Caroline's car only needed a tyre.

As for my remark it's a running joke between me and Caroline :p I usually send her a picture of the back of my hand via bluetooth if she proves me wrong in some way :mark: Silence those who speak out against you I say!

BeansBeansBeans
25th September 2007, 10:18
Let us know how you get on anyway mate.

Cheers for the advice Oily.

I spoke to your Northern spanner-wielding counterpart this morning, who told me that the floor of the car is cracked, and it's going to cost around £500 to repair, so it's not a write-off as yet, but he said he needs to have a further look at it before giving me a firm estimate.

Donney
25th September 2007, 10:35

Here you get the sticker with the month and the year you have to pass your ITV, and they usually send you a reminder as well.

http://revista.consumer.es/web/imgs/20050501/itv.gif

BeansBeansBeans
25th September 2007, 10:52
Here you get the sticker with the month and the year you have to pass your ITV, and they usually send you a reminder as well.

http://revista.consumer.es/web/imgs/20050501/itv.gif

Forum Rule #235 - Don't mention ITV in front of Dave! It'll only upset him!

Dave B
25th September 2007, 14:40
We'll be right back after Jeremy Kyle's Funniest Beatings....

fandango
25th September 2007, 14:47
FYI, ITV is Spanish for MOT, y por el otro lado, Tele5 se traduce como ITV en inglés. Si parpadean....

Everyone informed?

oily oaf
25th September 2007, 18:07
Cheers for the advice Oily.

I spoke to your Northern spanner-wielding counterpart this morning, who told me that the floor of the car is cracked, and it's going to cost around £500 to repair, so it's not a write-off as yet, but he said he needs to have a further look at it before giving me a firm estimate.

I'd give him a firm right-hander if I were you Beansie. What's he gonna use platinum welding rods? :eek:
Only joking mate. There's clearly a lot more involved than tacking on a bit of box section.
I welded up a floor pan a few months ago and all I got was a little kiss on the cheek :(
Mind you it was my daughters rust bucket of a Mini Mayfair ;)

BeansBeansBeans
26th September 2007, 18:36
Update:

I decided to go through my insurance company. They moved the car to one of their approved garages and the engineer has decided it's a write-off. I now have to wait and see how much money my insurance company gives me, and then go out and buy a new car. Until then, I have a Micra Sport courtesy car.

BDunnell
26th September 2007, 20:11
We'll be right back after Jeremy Kyle's Funniest Beatings....

:laugh:

Hope you appreciated that judge's comments the other day...

Anyway, BBB, enjoy the Micra!

oily oaf
26th September 2007, 20:19
Update:

I decided to go through my insurance company. They moved the car to one of their approved garages and the engineer has decided it's a write-off. I now have to wait and see how much money my insurance company gives me, and then go out and buy a new car. Until then, I have a Micra Sport courtesy car.

Smart move. My guess is will be a Cat C which basically means that you can if you wish repair it yourself after buying it back from the insurance company but the vehicle will then have to undergo a stringent inspection at a designated test centre.
More trouble than it's worth unless you're in the trade.

The insurance boys are legally bound to give you the book price for the motor but make sure they dont try to pull a stroke and offer you the "trade" price.

Parkers guide will give you a fairly accurate indication of the value of your stricken jamjar so dont delay buy a copy today ;)

If you're not sure drop me a PM and I'll nip in the Sales Manager's office and have a butchers in his Glass's Guide which is the bible of the legalised banditry which is the motor retail trade.

Dont go over 3000rpm in the micra or you'll throw a rod thru the crankcase btw ;)

Speedworx
26th September 2007, 22:20
Some garages send out a reminder. I got a reminder about my MOT being due

ramboautotools
10th October 2007, 11:52
you should also note you can drive an MOT failure to point of repair, which if you prove you can repair it could be anywhere.
Al.

janneppi
17th October 2007, 16:33
70 Euro's for the joy of some guy fiddling with the lights, testing brake's and sticking a sensor in the exhaust followed by rigorous five minutes of looking at the undercarriage.
Welcome back next year.
Expensive? It cannot be. :(

Daniel
17th October 2007, 16:34
70 Euro's for the joy of some guy fiddling with the lights, testing brake's and sticking a sensor in the exhaust followed by rigorous five minutes of looking at the undercarriage.
Welcome back next year.
Expensive? It cannot be. :(
Not just "some guy"!!!!! It could be Oily Oaf ;)