PDA

View Full Version : how do I become a rally driver?

Irish Joey
23rd September 2007, 18:56
I know that i have to register and do the introductory course, but what do i do next?

Bazza2541
23rd September 2007, 20:43
Buy/Rent a car, find some sponsers and get at it.

Irish Joey
24th September 2007, 22:14
Ok thanks but thats a bit obvious but how would i get hold of a navigator, whats a good cheap enough starter car and what would be a good race for beginners? Would you recommend the Ford Fiesta Sporting Trophy?

Bazza2541
25th September 2007, 00:14
Do I look like your Ma?

cut the b.s.
25th September 2007, 00:27
1st lesson on rallying for you from Bazza, most people on forums are tossers

Find and join your local motor club, they will help you out

Bazza2541
25th September 2007, 01:32

Second lesson from cut the bs, some people on rally forums don't know how to keep their hole shut.

Bolton Midnight
25th September 2007, 01:42
Would you recommend the Ford Fiesta Sporting Trophy?

Very much so but will cost something like 50k

Are you in Ireland?

Best go to an event nearby and offer to marshal, join local club and chat to club members.

MrJan
25th September 2007, 14:59
Make sure you have a good paying job. Best way is to get involved in local clubs. That way you spend more time with people that know lots about the sport. Also probably the best place to find a co-driver.

Irish Joey
25th September 2007, 22:41
Do I look like your Ma?

Nah but you sound like someone who doesnt know as much as he'd like people to think he does.

Irish Joey
25th September 2007, 22:45

So I've noticed. I think theres one or two not to far away I'l check them out. Cheers.

Irish Joey
25th September 2007, 22:49
Very much so but will cost something like 50k

Are you in Ireland?

Best go to an event nearby and offer to marshal, join local club and chat to club members.

Yeah in Co. Louth. Would you know if theres any events that take place here? 50K... Ouch. Would definitly need some sponsers for that. Cheers for that.

Irish Joey
25th September 2007, 22:52
Make sure you have a good paying job. Best way is to get involved in local clubs. That way you spend more time with people that know lots about the sport. Also probably the best place to find a co-driver.

I do but unfortunetly have a few bills too. Im not in a rush anyhow. Thanks for that.

Steve Boyd
26th September 2007, 00:14
Joining a motor club & going to events (marshalling, servicing & co-driving) is definitely the best way to learn. The more varied your experience the better able you are to cope with the unexpected things that happen in motorsport - plus you'll meet loads of people with the same interest.

As you're in Louth the governing body for rallying is Motorsport Ireland (http://www.motorsportireland.com), but if you want to know what's happening just over the border then check the UK Motor Sports Association (http://www.msauk.org). They should be able to provide details of local motor clubs. If you haven't found it yet, Brian Patterson's site (http://www.rallynews.net) is pretty good for event reports & results.

Bazza2541
26th September 2007, 10:37
If you were really interested, you'd already have it sussed.

Bolton Midnight
26th September 2007, 12:27
Rallying is a fairly closed shop Bazza2541, it isn't like you have car clubs listed in the Yellow pages under Rally is it? Although I listed mine under sporting clubs, just ended up with heaps of junk mail :-(

If you are not already inside, finding out how to get involved wouldn't be easy.

Bazza2541
26th September 2007, 15:42
Come to Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny on first monday of the month at 7.30/8pm. Or approach ANY marshall at ANY rally. Or ANY competitor at ANY rally. Its not rocket science. If he was intrested he'd find a way. How did the rest of us do it? And as for it being a closed shop........balls!

cut the b.s.
26th September 2007, 17:25
Bazza, your club must be so proud to have an ambassador like you :p imp:

Bolton Midnight
26th September 2007, 17:31
Come to Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny on first monday of the month at 7.30/8pm. Or approach ANY marshall at ANY rally. Or ANY competitor at ANY rally. Its not rocket science. If he was intrested he'd find a way. How did the rest of us do it? And as for it being a closed shop........balls!

So how do you find out where this rally is taking place if you don't know

a) where it is running
b) organising club
c) name of event

Just put RALLY into Google and assume that eventually after attending so many neo nazi marches one will involve cars?

Once you find an event, what stop the car mid stage, who are the marshals can you just go up to them as they set cars off.

Other than that, faultess post, keep it up.........

Bazza2541
26th September 2007, 20:26
So how do you find out where this rally is taking place if you don't know

a) where it is running
b) organising club
c) name of event

Just put RALLY into Google and assume that eventually after attending so many neo nazi marches one will involve cars?

Once you find an event, what stop the car mid stage, who are the marshals can you just go up to them as they set cars off.

Other than that, faultess post, keep it up.........

If you can't find a rally in Ireland you must be both blind and stupid.
Try rally.ie for a mind boggling list of events.
As for the marshalls, I think you'll find an abundance at every event. I hear rumours that they are on every single junction and at the start and end of every stage too. Contrary to popular belief they don't bite either.
Now granted competitors can be more difficult to find, especially if you are blind and stupid, but I talk to loads at the various service parks.

Its not rocket science.

Bolton Midnight
26th September 2007, 21:11
Ahh so it's you that comes up and asks stupid questions when we have important things to do.

So how did you get started, as I know quite a few who didn't find it all that easy.

Bazza2541
26th September 2007, 22:13
If you can't answer a few questions from Joe Public, perhaps you shouldn't be putting on the vest?

And I am sure I have never met you nor talked to you ever, so maybe you should stop insulting the people that go to spectate?
Please tell me these 'important' things that marshalls have to do that would prevent them talking to the ordinary people?

Irish Joey
5th October 2007, 00:37
Well iv got my info pack and registration number for when i apply for the National B licence from Motorsport Ireland and NOW i know when the rallies are on and where they are. Theres none on locally so might try head up to Donegal next month. There does'nt seem to be any affiliated motor clubs in Louth either. Right that info was easily got (though had to pay E20 for it), but when theres no local rallies and you dont know anyone else who's into rallying or where to look its not easy.

Bolton Midnight
6th October 2007, 15:32
If you can't answer a few questions from Joe Public, perhaps you shouldn't be putting on the vest?

And I am sure I have never met you nor talked to you ever, so maybe you should stop insulting the people that go to spectate?
Please tell me these 'important' things that marshalls have to do that would prevent them talking to the ordinary people?

Sorry but what are you babbling on about?

Read what I said, I'm talking about being a competitor and having dopey speccies coming up to ask inane questions when we are about ready to go etc.

Spectators are mostly a pain in the butt, bring nothing to an event yet expect to be catered for. Only use they sometimes have is they may push you back onto the road when you come off.

When I asked how you got involved I assumed you were involved and not just a speccie, no wonder you didn't answer as you are not involved.

Bazza2541
16th October 2007, 15:12
Sorry but what are you babbling on about?

Read what I said, I'm talking about being a competitor and having dopey speccies coming up to ask inane questions when we are about ready to go etc.

Spectators are mostly a pain in the butt, bring nothing to an event yet expect to be catered for. Only use they sometimes have is they may push you back onto the road when you come off.

When I asked how you got involved I assumed you were involved and not just a speccie, no wonder you didn't answer as you are not involved.

I have been marshalling for 21 years, mostly on local events, but have done Ulster and the Circuit on a few occasions. IMHO, rallying is there for spectators without them there would be no sport. But then again that is an Irish perspective, I would not be qualified to talk about your events as they are foreign to me.

Bolton Midnight
16th October 2007, 23:51
IMHO, rallying is there for spectators without them there would be no sport.

How's that then?

Bazza2541
17th October 2007, 00:37
How's that then?

No spectators mean there is no benefit for sponsers. No sponsers mean no rallying.

Do you think there is a link between the attitudes of 'hollier than thou' pricks like yourself and the decline of the the BRC?

Bolton Midnight
17th October 2007, 02:20
Sponsors, do you mean?

Do you really think the sponsors give a moments thought to a few bobble hatters stood mid stage?

Magazine, TV, web coverage is far more important to them.

Many events run a strict no spectator rule and they do fine.

For an event to run it needs organisers, then entries then marshals. I am glad to be all of those things as well as a holier than thou prick and not a spectator as they bring nothing to an event other than hassle and grief for the organisers.

The BRC is in decline because of poor management.

Don't spectate, marshal then you would be helping the sport.

Gedge
18th October 2007, 10:21
Hey,
Kind of new to these forums and started rallying last month myself. Im only 19 but found the best bet was to go to a local event and network. I found the events are actually very social (well in England anyway) by the end of the event was a load of people including many marshalls and competitors gathered and having a chat around the beer stand.

Just a thought, a friend of mine got into driving by starting as a navigator. Found it was very useful because it ment he could do few laps himself during test laps etc.

Wouldnt get fixated on getting a sponsor either, it may never happen. From what I've heard the lower end events you probably wouldnt get sponsored for but you might want to try a local radio station, write a formal letter explaining everything and list what they will get out of it. Here in Salisbury the local station has agreed to sponsor me but in return have to arrange VIP passes to local events (which they use as prizes to local listeners) and that I have to attend the local motor show every year (which is good publicity since the sponsored cars tend to be in the local papers/news).

MrJan
18th October 2007, 21:58
Sponsors, do you mean?

Do you really think the sponsors give a moments thought to a few bobble hatters stood mid stage?

For an event to run it needs organisers, then entries then marshals. I am glad to be all of those things as well as a holier than thou prick and not a spectator as they bring nothing to an event other than hassle and grief for the organisers.

The BRC is in decline because of poor management.

I'd imagine that most marshals, competitors and mechanics get into the sport after watching it as a spectator. I have been spectating for many years and soon to start marshalling next year by getting involved with my local motor club (not that it's be much good as we don't have many events around Exeter :bigcry: ).

Also you must have noticed that although there are still quite a few spectators on these so called 'closed' events. And yes the sponsors do worry about spectators, maybe not in the bigger championships but certainly a lot of smaller teams have got to struggle because they don't get on TV.

While I agree that spectators like me can be a pain in the arse surely you'd have to be a t*** to complain about the decent folk out on the stages. Okay we don't have high vis vests but each one of us would be glad to help if a competitor was in trouble. Quit yer moaning :p : ;)

cut the b.s.
18th October 2007, 22:46

Interesting post, rallying must be very healthy in your area because in mine our national championship has no tv coverage save for when someone gets hurt, magazine coverage is ok but limited to overall and class winners, maybe 10/15% of the entry in any rally typically gets a mention or photo. Web coverage, a web site updated a few days after events, yet people still get sponsors, maybe the 'bobble hatters' are more important than you think

I think I'll have to agree with your statement that 'I am glad to be all of those things as well as a holier than thou prick' although the rest of what you say IMO nonsense and you actually seem to be proud to display the attitude to fans that stopped me travelling each year to follow the RAC Rally/Rally GB

sean1
17th June 2008, 00:06
To become a driver I would first suggest that you do a few rallies as a navigator as A) it is less expensive and B) you will learn the areas where a driver must stop and get the time cards signed etc. Also I would agree that you should join your local club as it is there that you will find details of good navigators etc. As I am and have been a navigator for more than ten years I would suggest that you contact motorsport ireland for further details and ignore the advice given by the previous genious who seems to know nothing about rallying.

cosmicpanda
24th June 2008, 11:15
Sponsors, do you mean?

Do spectators not pay for entrance to the stages in your country?

At least, every rally I've ever been to in NZ I've had to buy a ticket. Surely the money spectators provide helps the event.

Bolton Midnight
24th June 2008, 11:21
No most events they just turn up and are a royal pain in the arse.

Due to drunken speccies Ireland could lose closed road events, it's happened before.

MrJan
24th June 2008, 15:38
No most events they just turn up and are a royal pain in the arse.

Due to drunken speccies Ireland could lose closed road events, it's happened before.

Don't know what events you go to but I seem to pay at pretty much everything. Even though Epynt is only about 5 quid per car there is still income there.

I assume you drive and obviously have never had to be pushed out of a ditch. SOME speccys are a pain in the arse but there are others of us that don't get in the way and will gladly lend a hand in helping competitors.

Bolton Midnight
25th June 2008, 03:03
Last time we needed pushing out, the speccies who hadn't paid a penny didn't want to get their trainers dirty.

Car parking fees usually go to those who man the car parks like the local cadets etc.

By and large and yes there are exceptions but most cases speccies are just an annoyance.

cosmicpanda
25th June 2008, 09:20
Last time we needed pushing out, the speccies who hadn't paid a penny didn't want to get their trainers dirty.

Car parking fees usually go to those who man the car parks like the local cadets etc.

I find that I have to wear gumboots when going rally spectating. I guess I'd stand out at European events if I wore them?

At the local rally I went to last month I didn't have to pay for parking, just parked on the side of the road a few metres from the stage, and then we paid for tickets separately. Of course, at the WRC event we have to pay for paddock parking sometimes, but even then we pay for that separately to entry fees for the stage.

Bolton Midnight
25th June 2008, 11:14
I think charging for car parking is the safer option as I believe if you charge to watch the rally the organisers are more liable when one of these goon speccies get themself run over by standing in the wrong place or wandering about drunk in the road.

MrJan
25th June 2008, 16:49
Surely you have to accept though that without spectators rallying wouldn't exist. Most marshalls, drivers, organisers, mechanics etc. etc. start by going to watch before starting to take part in some way.

I agree that there are morons out there that go to watch but at places like Epynt they are in the minority with most people being proper rally fans who know of the dangers.

I suppose if you do the more easily accesible rallies (Bournemouth in my area is one such event) there are far more of the 'inappropriate footwear) brigade. Me, I'll have my walking boots on.

As for drinking on events I've never done it but again not all people having a beer are numpties. Some Irish lads on the Wyedean were stood next to us but far from being d**kheads they were stood in a reasonable spot and even fixed a car's radiator and gave up their drinking water to fill it.

To be honest it's all on the slide at the minute, Colin McRae computer games and media coverage made it open to the masses, but there are some of us out there who have been raised around rallying and (I hope) hasve a bit of common sense.

Bolton Midnight
25th June 2008, 18:06
At WRC or maybe even BRC level yes agreed, but at Nat B and Nat A levels it doesn't really matter.

Rallyst3ve
25th June 2008, 23:44
Spectators r important at National level what are you goin on about :eek:

Bolton Midnight
26th June 2008, 00:08
How?

And what about events over say Otterburn that are non-spectator, they seem to manage fine, far bigger entries than say Tempest that welcomes speccies.

Speccies bring very little to an event other than grief usually.

Speccies were the main reason the old road rallies died a death, which was the lifeblood of Clubmans rallying in England/Wales.

MrJan
26th June 2008, 09:51
Non-spectator rallies will still get spectators though. The Somerset Stages is only supposed to have 1 speccy stage but every year I end up watching at different stages (along with a big group of others).

Of the 6 or 7 rallies I get to each year I would say that the Sunseeker is most likely to have knobheads but they still only make up a small percentage. The Somerset Stages is nearly always sensible, as are most people on Epynt. I don't know if it's a lot worse up your way but in general most spectators are well behaved.

driversdomainuk
26th June 2008, 10:24
Rallying is a fairly closed shop Bazza2541, it isn't like you have car clubs listed in the Yellow pages under Rally is it? Although I listed mine under sporting clubs, just ended up with heaps of junk mail :-(

If you are not already inside, finding out how to get involved wouldn't be easy.

But thats the same for all motorsports. I have been told rallying is very insular and not very friendly - the teams tend to keep themselves to themselves. Hillclimbing however, is a great way in to motorsport and tends to be more friendly.

Rallyst3ve
26th June 2008, 11:19
Bolton Midnight
How?

And what about events over say Otterburn that are non-spectator, they seem to manage fine, far bigger entries than say Tempest that welcomes speccies.

Prices for entry fees make a big difference to enter the Lindisfarne Rally 2008 in Otternburn it will cost just £280 where as last years Tempest Rally cost between £395-£435 so not supprising the latter gets less entries generally rallies with the higher entry fees such as the sunseeker gets less entries nothing to do with spectators.

Bolton Midnight
Speccies bring very little to an event other than grief usually.

Overeaction :p
Got to disagree with ya spectators are an important part of Rallying. It encourages more people to get involved in all areas of the sport i very much doubt that i would want to become a rally driver without spectating on rallies i wouldnt know how to ethier and dont drivers like to enterain fans??
Oh and whos gonna pull you out of that ditch when ur upside down? :p :p you may regret saying spectators are a waste of time then

MrJan
26th June 2008, 12:46
But thats the same for all motorsports. I have been told rallying is very insular and not very friendly - the teams tend to keep themselves to themselves. Hillclimbing however, is a great way in to motorsport and tends to be more friendly.

I think it depends what kind of rallying you are doing and how compettive you are. Certainly there is usually some helping out from teams if someone has a problem.

Speed events do seem to be quite friendly. Me and my Dad have started sprinting this year (first time we've ventured behind the wheel in competition) and people seem to like giving advice and recommending events. You still get groups of people together (Mini drivers in one huddle, Westfields in another) but there is always someone to lend a hand. On my second event I clipped a cone and damaged the exhaust which needed a pop rivet to fix (about the only thing we hadn't packed) within minutes we had a couple of offers.

escort mk
26th June 2008, 17:24
Irish Joe,
u wont be able to start rallying in a fiesta because they are over 2 liter you have to do a rally school eg RSI in Monaghan or Rally cenection in Waterford and 3 more signings then you can move up to 2 liter. Your best bit is to buy a 1.6 civic or if you have the money you should buy a escort mk1 or mk2 you can load of parts for them. I know where there if a very good escort 1400. If u want i can give you his phone number. John Moynihan Rallying in Millstreet near Killarney has ever thing in stock of escorts. U will have to get a suit and helmet and stuff he has them too

Bolton Midnight
27th June 2008, 12:13
There always seem to be some dickwad speccies at every event, they might not be stood where you are but there's usually tales of them walking out of a live stage with a pram or such like.

Exactly, Lindisfarne well run popular event no speccies - succesful, Tempest with speccies not so. The quality of the event decides if it is a success not speccies, they are irrelevant.

As I said last time we asked speccies for help they were more interested in keeping their white trainers white.

MrJan
27th June 2008, 15:34
There always seem to be some dickwad speccies at every event, they might not be stood where you are but there's usually tales of them walking out of a live stage with a pram or such like.

Exactly, Lindisfarne well run popular event no speccies - succesful, Tempest with speccies not so. The quality of the event decides if it is a success not speccies, they are irrelevant.

As I said last time we asked speccies for help they were more interested in keeping their white trainers white.

I thoroughly agree that there are knobheads on all rallies it's just that I don't like your attitude of all speccies being arses. There are drivers too that are idiots, ones that don't thank marshalls and just generally people that aren't liked.

Out of interest how did you get started in rallying? Have you never been to watch an event, or are you different because you also get behind the wheel?

Rallyst3ve
27th June 2008, 16:55
Bolton Midnight

I agree with Mr Jan Yeo your views about spectators is over the top. Most people go to rallies to see the excitment of cars being driven on the edge and sometimes over it so we dont go to cause trouble. Ok so there are always some idots but thats life nothing to do with geninue motorsport fans who have a passion for rallying who i call spectators.
As for getting cars back onto the stages i helped to pull out Jason Lepleys Ford Escort on the Severn Valley Rally and there was plenty of people on that tow rope. When you said you asked speccies to help you were you playing on a playstation game or something as i dont think they exist on that :D

Bolton Midnight
27th June 2008, 17:46
The crews pay so even if they are dicks at least THEY are contributing, ditto marshals.

Watched a few, found it boring really, would be doing it or helping out rather than just watching it.

The trainer incident was at Sweet Lamb, where the tar finishes and the gravel starts, we ended up in the bog.

Rallyst3ve
27th June 2008, 18:14
Bolton Midnight
Watched a few, found it boring really, would be doing it or helping out rather than just watching it.

Doesnt sound much like you like rallying really :confused: which rallies were these??????
R u a co-driver???????
Spectators pay too!

Bolton Midnight
21st July 2008, 11:28
I don't like watching others do it, would rather be doing it myself. Think of porn would rather be doing it or just watching it wishing you were doing it?

Last time I speccied I think was Pirelli or Malcolm Wilson in about 1993.

Done a bit of everything, organising, driving and now co-driving.

MrJan
21st July 2008, 14:07
Unlike you I quite like watching rallying. I'm not mechanically good enough to run my own car (nor have the money or garage space) and definately couldn't afford to repair any prangs. At the minute I'll compete only in sprints, there's no other cars (like in circuit racing) and the scenery is fairly distant should I choose to chuck it off.

As for marshalling, the thought of getting up earlier, leaving later and seeing less doesn't really appeal to me. For now I'll stick to standing in sensible places, helping drivers if necessary and generally enjoying rallying.

Bolton Midnight
21st July 2008, 16:44
Just as well everyone doesn't think like you as there wouldn't be any rallies for you to watch if they did.

See what I mean about speccies not really contributing just taking from the sport.

MrJan
21st July 2008, 18:16
Just as well everyone doesn't think like you as there wouldn't be any rallies for you to watch if they did.

See what I mean about speccies not really contributing just taking from the sport.

Not everyone lives in such a rubbish rallying area as me. If I lived somewhere closer to the events that I attend then I'd probably be a marshall more often.

As for not driving, it's something that is largely down to cost. If I chuck a car in the scenery then I don't have the money to either store it where there is space to work, nor actually pay out to fix it. Add to that knowing several people who have had big rallying accidents (one bloke suffered from a fractured vertebrae) then I'm not so keen on competing. For me it's much nicer to be on a track where I know the route and it's a bit more predictable (although there will always be a risk element, that's why we do it).

And I do contribute to the sport, albeit not in the greatest way. As we've been through already sponsors wouldn't be interested if no one watched the sport and I pay entry to most events. As someone on a fairly small wage I find it difficult to travel to events and there is no way that I could stay in a hotel or b&b. If I go to watch at Epynt then I have to get up around 6 to get there by about 10, if I was marshalling then it would be quite a lot worse and I'm not willing to suffer (and risk a car accident on the way home). There are people out there that WILL do that, and well done to them, but just because you whinge on doesn't mean that I'll do it.

Just because I choose to compete in a different form of motorsport I don't see why you should have your arse in a cramp. I don't leave litter, I don't stand in the way, I don't distract drivers on purpose and I'm happy to help out with a driver in trouble.

janvanvurpa
21st July 2008, 18:54

I really fail to understand how it can be considered "just taking" if somebody happens to watch your car zoom by sideways?

If the speccies aren't paying fees for parking---that go to the farmer and buys some peace-- or paying top get onto stages, then they are actually just NEUTRAL and their presence is no more than a rock or a tree. (eg "Don't hit 'em ferchrissakes!").

If they were standing by the stage and they averted their glance when you went by, or closed their eyes just for your car, would they be "just taking" something?
And who is it they are taking what from?
Confused in Seattle.

Bolton Midnight
22nd July 2008, 01:49
If you and all the other speccies didn't go to Epynt or anywhere else for that matter it would make the organisers job a lot easier.

The general idea is not to chuck your car off.

So the cars you see at Epynt, how much custom have you given to their sponsors? If I had a tyre fitter in Bolton on my car would you come up and get some tyres from them, of course you wouldn't.

No arse in a cramp (whatever that means) just think you should marshal rather than just watch.

On Saturday did Swansea Bay, 100mph+ down a forrest and there they are speccies in the middle of the road, maybe I should have stopped and asked them to buy some tyres from our sponsor?

MrJan
22nd July 2008, 10:22
Of course I wouldn't drive to Bolton to buy tyres because I live about 3 hours away. However I have bought stuff from sponsors of drivers that I've seen on Epynt, and as a direct result of seeing their name on a car. Likewise I take my car to a mechanic who I've seen competing on Epynt (amongst other places).

I've given my reasons for not marshalling very often and I think that they are reasonable, and it's true that the organisers would find it easier if there were no speccies, be even easier without drivers though ;)