PDA

View Full Version : Toro Rosso Idols

Placid
29th December 2006, 19:38
It is now Judgement Day a Faenza this weekend to see who will have the 1st 2 seats and who will be the alternate for the Friday tester.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/061229092948.shtml

msaxman
29th December 2006, 19:56
i've found it odd how recently the red bull teams haven't been focusing much on the drivers from their red bull young drivers program. they put so much into it, then they don't utilize it by getting new drivers from there.

i can't say i don't hope sebastien bourdais gets a seat at toro rosso, but it would be a shame to see red bull sponsored drivers get passed up.

BeansBeansBeans
29th December 2006, 20:12
I'd be surprised if Bourdais is on the grid in 2007, as he is contractually tied to Newman / Haas in the Champcar Word Series. My bet is Liuzzi and Monteiro for the race seats, with Scott Speed as tester.

DonJippo
29th December 2006, 20:50
i've found it odd how recently the red bull teams haven't been focusing much on the drivers from their red bull young drivers program.

Looks like the quality of the program ain't that good...

Erki
29th December 2006, 21:38
I'd be surprised if Bourdais is on the grid in 2007, as he is contractually tied to Newman / Haas in the Champcar Word Series.

I've understood that N/H would release him if he got an F1 seat.

SuperAguri
29th December 2006, 22:07
Apparently that clause expired a few months back, according to the Christmas Autosport issue

BeansBeansBeans
29th December 2006, 23:35
Apparently that clause expired a few months back, according to the Christmas Autosport issue

Yes, there was a release clause, but it expired in September. If his relationship with Paul Newman and Carl Haas is really strong, they may let him leave for an F1 drive, but I think it's unlikely.

ShiftingGears
30th December 2006, 01:09
Bourdais has ruled out 2007, saying that he'll honour his contract.

His turn will start in 2008, methinks.

agwiii
30th December 2006, 01:24
What we are watching has nothing to do with the quality of the drivers, and everything to do with the quality of the management.

Oli_M
30th December 2006, 12:24
They will want to put the best drivers possible in the car. I'd have thought that the Red Bull junior drivers would need to have some time in the car at test sessions before they have a shot at a permanent test role.

Is Doornbos 100% confirmed as the 3rd driver at RBR?? Otherwise surely he's in the frame for a Torro Rosso race seat? My personal choice would be to keep Luizzi and Speed in the race seats and Ammermuller for the tester. But with almost all teams now having 2 signed test drivers, could Torro Rosso (or indeed RBR) sign up 2 testers too?

agwiii
30th December 2006, 19:46
They will want to put the best drivers possible in the car. I'd have thought that the Red Bull junior drivers would need to have some time in the car at test sessions before they have a shot at a permanent test role.

Is Doornbos 100% confirmed as the 3rd driver at RBR?? Otherwise surely he's in the frame for a Torro Rosso race seat? My personal choice would be to keep Luizzi and Speed in the race seats and Ammermuller for the tester. But with almost all teams now having 2 signed test drivers, could Torro Rosso (or indeed RBR) sign up 2 testers too?

Two testers also gives a team the chance to tie up more of the young lions. That could be very clever.

Subaru WRX
30th December 2006, 20:14
the seats for Toro Rosso, are they opened only to "red bull" drivers ??

agwiii
31st December 2006, 04:59

I think they're play fast and free with RB and STR now.

V12
31st December 2006, 14:19

The fact that Webber and Coulthard are in at Red Bull, and Bourdais is being looked at by Toro Rosso (and the reports that they wanted Montoya too), suggests that RB are starting to look outside their "family" and trying to hire the best available - which makes sense to me.

Nikki Katz
31st December 2006, 14:29
Didn't they say they'd announce it before 2007? Does that therefore mean this afternoon? I can't see it happening somehow.
I get the feeling that no matter how many times they say they'll probably field Liuzzi and Speed again, if they actually were going to they would've announced it a long time before now. From what I can tell, Monterio looks good for a seat alongside Liuzzi.

agwiii
31st December 2006, 15:24
Didn't they say they'd announce it before 2007? Does that therefore mean this afternoon? I can't see it happening somehow.
I get the feeling that no matter how many times they say they'll probably field Liuzzi and Speed again, if they actually were going to they would've announced it a long time before now. From what I can tell, Monterio looks good for a seat alongside Liuzzi.

We will know today, if they keep their word. However, how often do we see such announcements made on a Sunday?

TonyO
31st December 2006, 22:11
i've found it odd how recently the red bull teams haven't been focusing much on the drivers from their red bull young drivers program. they put so much into it, then they don't utilize it by getting new drivers from there.

i can't say i don't hope sebastien bourdais gets a seat at toro rosso, but it would be a shame to see red bull sponsored drivers get passed up.

What would be a shame is to see Bourdais stuck in a Toro Rosso at all.

Leave Luizzi and Speed for '07. Funny how the grass is always greener...

Tony

msaxman
1st January 2007, 09:23
The fact that Webber and Coulthard are in at Red Bull, and Bourdais is being looked at by Toro Rosso (and the reports that they wanted Montoya too), suggests that RB are starting to look outside their "family" and trying to hire the best available - which makes sense to me.

having the best drivers always makes sense. but why have the young frivers program, then? they are just wasting money on drivers if they never give them a chance.

come to think of it, i can't think of one major series these days without some, at least partially, red bull sponsored team. does the young driver program feed drivers to other series as well, or just f1?

agwiii
1st January 2007, 23:19
having the best drivers always makes sense. but why have the young frivers program, then? they are just wasting money on drivers if they never give them a chance.

come to think of it, i can't think of one major series these days without some, at least partially, red bull sponsored team. does the young driver program feed drivers to other series as well, or just f1?

F1 is growing younger each season. Of course, there will be limits to this change, but there are always "young lions" coming through the ranks or simply appearing on the scene to challenge the status quo. The notion of having a program to help identify them is intelligent. I don't believe Berger buys into the approach, and is more of a traditionalist. That's part of why I suspect internal management clashes are the reason for the delay in announcing the driver lineup.

JAM
4th January 2007, 12:20
Tiago Monteiro is one of the names to Toro Rosso. Gherard Berger assumed that. But in an interview to http://www.sportmotores.com Liuzzi said that don't believe in changes on the line up to 2007...

agwiii
6th January 2007, 22:04
Tiago Monteiro is one of the names to Toro Rosso. Gherard Berger assumed that. But in an interview to http://www.sportmotores.com Liuzzi said that don't believe in changes on the line up to 2007...

The cliche is there is no bad publicity. I suspect that when the smoke clears, STR will confirm Scott and Tonio.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2007, 22:23
They are just examining their options, and seeing if they can find someone who is radically faster. Bourdais could be that man in time, but he isn't showing much interest in theoreticals and N/H has treated him very well, so it would have to be a firm offer and he didn't get one.

No, they are tire kicking, and will hire Liuzzi and Speed again. No point in having two teams, one for development if the drivers you hire are not developing....

agwiii
6th January 2007, 22:30
They are just examining their options, and seeing if they can find someone who is radically faster. Bourdais could be that man in time, but he isn't showing much interest in theoreticals and N/H has treated him very well, so it would have to be a firm offer and he didn't get one.

No, they are tire kicking, and will hire Liuzzi and Speed again. No point in having two teams, one for development if the drivers you hire are not developing....

Seem they are talking up Bordais as a possible 2008 driver. I suspect they'll test a few outsiders and young lions. Keeping track of the talent is smart, and getting lots of publicity is good. How clever when the name of the team is also the name of the product you're selling. Red Bull is doing something that only the manufacturers could do in the past. Clever.

Giuseppe F1
6th January 2007, 22:53
I suspect they'll test a few outsiders and young lions. Keeping track of the talent is smart, and getting lots of publicity is good.

Expect to see Bruno Senna testing a Toro Rosso in 2007, particularly if his GP2 campaign is strong

Roamy
7th January 2007, 18:26
IMO this is a sh!t move by Berger and probably reflects how well he will do in F1 which appears to be - not well. Why create turmoil and doubt in you drivers? Step up make a decision and move on. These team owners are full of it most of the time. Pitting two drivers and then saying oh this one made the other up his game. Look at history do you really think Gv, Senna, Prost, mansell etc needed a teammate to "up their game" Christ you guys idol won 7 championships by hiring lesser drivers among other things.

agwiii
7th January 2007, 21:35
IMO this is a sh!t move by Berger and probably reflects how well he will do in F1 which appears to be - not well. Why create turmoil and doubt in you drivers? Step up make a decision and move on. These team owners are full of it most of the time. Pitting two drivers and then saying oh this one made the other up his game. Look at history do you really think Gv, Senna, Prost, mansell etc needed a teammate to "up their game" Christ you guys idol won 7 championships by hiring lesser drivers among other things.

As I said before, What we are watching has nothing to do with the quality of the drivers, and everything to do with the quality of the management.