PDA

View Full Version : Spying authorities!

ShiftingGears
22nd September 2007, 01:20
Laws put forward the Australian senate this week will allow security agents to track peoples mobile phones and monitor their internet browsing without obtaining a warrant for up to three months.

What a gross infringement of civil liberties!

When questioned about these spying laws, Mr Ruddock is quoted as saying that it is merely "more systematic and appropriate control over the existing access framework".

Which is a fine example of Orwellian newspeak to you all.

Thoughts please.

BDunnell
22nd September 2007, 01:28
I worry about the gradual creep of surveillance in society, much of it deemed acceptable on the grounds that 'if you haven't done anything wrong, you've got nothing to fear'. This always strikes me as a very weak argument on which to base any law. As for the phraseology used in that statement quoted above, well, I don't even class that as being part of the English language. What does it mean, other than sounding sinister?

My primary objection to this sort of thing is that it is the product of a paranoid fear of terrorism. It used to be the case that while deaths due to terrorist activity were obviously tragic, they were accepted to a degree, as we are told (quite correctly) that deaths of military combatants in war are. Now, there seems to be a drive towards trying to protect everybody from any potential act of terrorism, which is utterly impossible.

Hondo
22nd September 2007, 02:10
And that is one of my biggest gripes about government, insinuating they can deliver services that they know, or should know they can't, to their public in exchange for decreased liberties and/or increased taxes.

Of course in situations where the public has a direct vote on the matter, it's their own fault for being so damned lazy, scared, and stupid.

Off topic, BDunnell, you seem like an aviation guy, what's the deal with the new boeing jet and wheres the guy always making fun of airbus?

BDunnell
22nd September 2007, 10:59
One problem, Fiero, is that there is undoubtedly a public appetite for certain forms of surveillance, and I can understand why. CCTV can be a boon to the police, and does reassure people, although you wouldn't know that in the UK when you look at how the fear of crime outstrips actual crime. But there's no way I want my every move to be scrutinised by someone.

SOD
22nd September 2007, 15:29
makes no odds, the KGB & the CIA are already spying on you, so why bother. complaining ;)

SOD
22nd September 2007, 15:47
makes no odds, the KGB & the CIA are already spying on you, so why bother. complaining ;)

Daniel
22nd September 2007, 20:33
Rather. Squirrel, thank god you live in a land where they make laws like this to spy on you rather than just spying on you and not telling you ;)

Drew
22nd September 2007, 20:38
Smile, you're on CCTV!

jso1985
23rd September 2007, 22:58
[quote]
Rather. Squirrel, thank god you live in a land where they make laws like this to spy on you rather than just spying on you and not telling you [/QOUTE]

exactly! at leas the have the ball to tell they're going to spy you.

as we are here... Hi Evo :wave: you really din't think we didn't know, isn't? ;)

SOD
24th September 2007, 16:01
Rather. Squirrel, thank god you live in a land where they make laws like this to spy on you rather than just spying on you and not telling you ;)

that's the freedumb of the press, the press were the one who blew the whistles on the spying ;)

of course, the spying agencies went straight down to the offices of the very newspapers to protest.

Daniel
24th September 2007, 16:16
that's the freedumb of the press, the press were the one who blew the whistles on the spying ;)

of course, the spying agencies went straight down to the offices of the very newspapers to protest.
Perhaps they didn't want people to make a fuss over it and pump it up to be more than it actually is ;) Freedom of information can cause unnecessary fuss ;) Can tell you that when I visit Australia next year I won't be looking over my shoulder when I use my mum's PC ;)