PDA

View Full Version : So much for loyalty

deemac
21st September 2007, 19:34
According to Alan gower the BTCC drivers and teams have no interest in coming to Ireland again next year. This is an appalling attitude for them to take towards their Irish fans,it seems we are supposed to be loyal to them (traveling to venues,paying entrance fees,over priced memorabilia etc.).I for one will NOT be traveling to England next year and though it will be hard I may not even watch on TV.I would urge any Irish fans to do likewise and I would Like to hear the opinion from any of the Irish drivers. Instead of treating Irish race fans like second class citizens the BTCC should be looking at finding a venue in Northern Ireland as well as the south (after all it is the "British" championship and the north is part of Britain)

Alfa Fan
21st September 2007, 20:22
They won't visit any venue that doesn't make financial sense.

BDunnell
21st September 2007, 20:44
A visit overseas, for that is what going to either half of Ireland obviously involves, simply isn't worth it for most national championships. Personally, I don't think the BTCC has any obligation to go to every part of the UK. Do people in Germany moan that the DTM doesn't go to every single German Land? Not to my knowledge.

SEATFreak
22nd September 2007, 08:42
Even I see your points BDunnell and Alfa Fan.

I am wondering about the cost, if any, of getting every BTCC team, lock, stock & barrell, over the Irish Sea to Ireland.

Business is business. And, playing devils advocate for a moment, say they are spending money on getting the teams over to Ireland and say they don't need that cost, why not stop it?

Iain
22nd September 2007, 10:50
They used to have subsidised ferry services I believe from Liverpool, but that stopped around 2003 I think. Can't remember seeing the Irish Ferries logos on the cars after that.

Phil H
22nd September 2007, 18:00
From my memory, the attendance at Mondello was shockingly bad, so maybe the Irish aren't too bothered about it being there. For us in the Clio's you would have to add another £2000 for that weekend.

BeansBeansBeans
23rd September 2007, 13:12
I guess the BTCC has decided that the negative points of visiting Mondello outweigh the positives.

As Phil H says, the crowd always seems quite sparse in comparison to races on the mainland.