PDA

View Full Version : Williams 2008 drivers

seppefan
19th September 2007, 17:33
On the basis that Wurz leaves at the end of the season and Rosberg stays as per his contract then who would you like to see in the cockpit next year. I feel that people will be keen to get on board.

Glock? Carroll ? Davidson?

N. Jones
19th September 2007, 17:40
Liuzzi.

Tazio
19th September 2007, 17:44
Klien

BeansBeansBeans
19th September 2007, 18:04
I'd be delighted if Glock, Carroll or Davidson got the drive.

Sutil could be a possibility also.

Storm
19th September 2007, 18:07
Liuzzi ? He would do well to hold on to his seat.
Maybe they should get Fisichella if that is an option, since he is a good driver (better than Wurz) and experienced, and they dont have a car fast enough to challenge for wins so Fisi is better in those situations.

N. Jones
19th September 2007, 18:14
I can't see Ant going to Williams after the fiasco a few years ago between Honda & Williams.
Fisi would be a decent option but maybe they should sign someone to push Rosberg, say, someone like Sutil?

Sleeper
19th September 2007, 18:41
I cant see Fisi at Williams, Frank has already said that if he wanted him he would have gone for him in the 90's. Would love to see Carrol in their, and Davidson would be a good choice. I reckon Sutil is more likely to get a ride at Toyota.

jens
19th September 2007, 20:03
I think Piquet Jr option hasn't been mentioned here in case Alonso goes to Renault. Test drivers Nakajima and Karthikeyan are also not totally impossible, although they are pretty unlikely. Nakajima will probably get one more year in GP2 and Karthikeyan might get a drive at Team India or whatever is that going to be named.

I personally have one proposal or more likely a wish... what about British F3 champion Marko Asmer? :D He also has tested Williams back in 2003! :p :

But as this is not going to happen, then personally I'm pretty interested in the Liuzzi option. I still think he's underrated and a team like Williams would be strong enough for him to show his strengh. I don't know if he is good enough to quite match Rosberg, but I think he'll be faster than Wurz. I'd also like to see Glock in F1 and Sutil in a better team. They have both been associated with Toyota, but it's clear that both of them can't get there simultaneously. Davidson has proved to be a decent driver too. I'm not excited about Fisichella option - I like the guy and I even think that Renault prefers Kovalainen over Fisi at the moment (as Fisi has been really unspectacular recently), but I honestly think that his time is nevertheless up...

ChrisS
19th September 2007, 21:34
I actually think Wurz has a good chance to stay at Williams, he isnt the best racer but he is a proven tester and I think that was part of the reason Williams hired him in the first place, having Wurz eliminates the need to hire a 3rd driver for testing (their testers are there more because they bring money than their testing abilities)

truefan72
19th September 2007, 21:39
I don't think Wurz is going anywhere, if he scores a few more points this year, he will put that rumor to bed. Besides, I expect him to get a lot better next year. I beleive that the cars are currently not set up to his liking and that may change over the winter if Willimas scure moire funding. That will allow them to afford personalized set ups for the cars,more in tune with each individual driver, rather than the general Rosberg package that they employ now.

ratonmacias
19th September 2007, 23:03
why fix what aint broken if you look at the standings both nico and alex are pretty even and alex can only go up as he could be a bit rusty. besides right now williams should worry about making a good car as alex showed at imola 05 that he can drive a good car.

in my opinion they should only go for a proven supertalent (kimi, fernando, massa or lewis) or stay where they are. as the diamonds in the rough rarely work out.

Buzz Lightyear
19th September 2007, 23:28
sutil? good driver, and might bring a bit of dosh.

stevie_gerrard
20th September 2007, 01:36
I'd say it would be between Sutil, Klien and maybe Davidson, but i think he will want to stay another year at super aguri.

Liuzzi has no chance, he has done bugger all this season, he's not that great a driver either.

leopard
20th September 2007, 11:31
is Fisi designated to drive a not too fast car? :D

OmarF1
20th September 2007, 16:39
This is a tough one, first, Wurz seems like a nice guy, always in good mood and kinda accesible for the media, unlike some other F1 Divas...but Sutil needs a good team and a great teammate and I Would love to see Glock in F1, he deserve it, I mean the guy went to Champ Car and won races, he's now challenging for the title in GP2 in his first year, scored points for Jordan, Franck should stick to the Youngsters, forget about Fisichella he's pretty much done, I mean it is a real shame but drivers like Fisico, Ralf or Trulli look older and slower than Coulthard and they are younger than him, Barrichello has showed signs that he has past his prime too but we do not know for sure because with that Honda even God would be slow.

ratonmacias
20th September 2007, 19:22
what about this alonso runs for ferrari, rosberg goes to mclaren and massa goes to williams. only thing would be that mclaren would have to pay for rosberg.

Sleeper
20th September 2007, 19:30
OmarF1, you need a bit of a lesson, Glock never won a race in champ car and is in his second year of GP2, he would have challenged Hamilton for last years title if he hadnt started the year in a BCN car. But your right that he did score points for Jordan and it would be good to see him in F1.

jso1985
20th September 2007, 20:55
He was forced to let Servia win in Montreal when racing Champ Cars! so technically he won a race ;)

I really don't see Williams signing an almost finished with F1 driver like Fisichella, I think they will go for a younger driver with some experience like Klien, Glock or Davidson, although i think they will actually stay with their current drivers

N. Jones
20th September 2007, 22:56
Wurz is being out qualified by Rosberg so why keep him? Williams would probably have two drivers fighting for points if Wurz could at least start P11 or 12 with the occasional top 10 grid position.

RaikkonenRules
20th September 2007, 23:07
I would really like to see Klien in the car next year. He's been rather underrated.

OmarF1
21st September 2007, 19:35
Oops Sleeper, i've been owned, thank you for the info, did I looked like a Glock groupie or what? :D

wmcot
21st September 2007, 20:13
F1 Racing was hinting at rumors about Sato moving to Williams.

Valve Bounce
22nd September 2007, 03:51
On the basis that Wurz leaves at the end of the season and Rosberg stays as per his contract then who would you like to see in the cockpit next year. I feel that people will be keen to get on board.

Glock? Carroll ? Davidson?

Actually, I see Rosberg going to McLaren to replace Alonso who will return to Flav. Ron Dennis will have to compensate Frank for Rosberg with oddles of Euros. The vacant seat so created will fall to whoever can come up with even more oodles of Euros.

You heard it from me first.

ratonmacias
22nd September 2007, 17:12
@ valvebounce.

i could see rosberg going to mclaren but i cant sfw getting a pay driver after doing a great job this season everybody thinks sfw is in dire need of money but fom what i have seen he has a good budget with many sponsors signed for midterm and extra cash from finishing 4th this year plus maybe some more for rosberg.

if i were sfw i would get the odd man out of the 4 fast guys in exchange for rosberg and a few mil or no deal.

Valve Bounce
23rd September 2007, 11:26
What I tell you is what I know. I cannot expand on the reasons right now; just remembr I told you guys Kimi was going to Ferrari long ago when everybody believed that I was crazy.
Frank is and will always be after more money until he gets a works engine supplier who is willing to pay for some of his costs.

I know there are at least 6 driver squeued up with fat chequebooks wanting to drive for Frank.

Valve Bounce
23rd September 2007, 11:40
What I tell you is what I know. I cannot expand on the reasons right now; just remembr I told you guys Kimi was going to Ferrari long ago when everybody believed that I was crazy.
Frank is and will always be after more money until he gets a works engine supplier who is willing to pay for some of his costs.

I know there are at least 6 drivers queued up with fat chequebooks wanting to drive for Frank.

ratonmacias
24th September 2007, 02:27
i dont doubt theres a queue full of pay drivers at williams but what is the point? how much would a pay driver give? 5 to 7 million? and you could probably sign good drivers for 2-4 million. so is he going to risk the team`s image with wurz and a paydriver to save 10 million? if williams drops back next year they will loose more money on prize money alone not counting potential sponsors. i could fully understand if they sold rosberg as that would be bigger money. didnt ron pay peter sauber 25 million for kimi back in the day?

i dont doubt you could have sorces what i dont see is the logic of this unless a really talented rookie was willing to pay or a very high profile driver was willing to pay (sennas nephew (sp?) or nelson piquet jr perhaps.)

Valve Bounce
24th September 2007, 14:49
Who knows? He might even offer bunsen a drive and let Wurz go. Who really knows?

But if Ron Dennis can get a potential World Champion out of a rookie, who knows what Frank might conjure up? A pay driver who might be a good driver.

Oli_M
24th September 2007, 17:07
No way will Jense ever be in a Williams car after the last few years. I'd love Rosberg to stay at Williams, but to be fair he would also be one of the hot tips to move up to McLaren/Ferrari etc if a seat became available. Wonder if Flav would pay to put Piquet Jr into a Williams **if** Alonso goes to Renault alongside Kovy. Sutil may be a good choice, but might need to be "bought out" of his Spyker contract..... Wurz is solid as a midfield runner but possibly not the best choice for a team trying to break back into the top four. I honestly don't know about Luizzi or Klein, yes they seem pretty good drivers and probably F1 material, but I don't know how the paddock and F1 community really views them?

ChrisS
24th September 2007, 17:08
Who knows? He might even offer bunsen a drive and let Wurz go. Who really knows?

But if Ron Dennis can get a potential World Champion out of a rookie, who knows what Frank might conjure up? A pay driver who might be a good driver.

Timo Glock with Dautsche Post/DHL sponsorship?

ratonmacias
24th September 2007, 17:23
Timo Glock with Dautsche Post/DHL sponsorship?

that would be great if they managed to keep nico as a driver and wurz as a tester/reserve driver.

ArrowsFA1
24th September 2007, 17:29
I think Piquet Jr option hasn't been mentioned here in case Alonso goes to Renault....
IIRC Piquet has already tested for Williams and if they didn't sign him up then I can't see them doing so now.

Sleeper
24th September 2007, 18:38
^I remember reading about that, I beleive they werent too impressed with his attitude at the time.

jens
24th September 2007, 18:57
I mean it is a real shame but drivers like Fisico, Ralf or Trulli look older and slower than Coulthard and they are younger than him, Barrichello has showed signs that he has past his prime too but we do not know for sure because with that Honda even God would be slow.

Umm. I don't think that GF, RS are slower than DC, who has consistently been outpaced by MW. Not even mentioning JT, who IMO is faster than DC. ;)

Actually I had an interesting thought. If Toyota at last makes a right decision and buys Williams, but won't change anything in the team's leadership and gives FW & Co freedom to operate like they had before. Rosberg and Trulli would drive for Williams-Toyota with 400 Million $ budget. That would be a real threat! :D In that case Cologne-team would be relegated into B-team status. Come on, that would be a perfect solution for all the parties! Oh, I can dream... :angel:

Flat.tyres
24th September 2007, 20:21
No way will Jense ever be in a Williams car after the last few years. I'd love Rosberg to stay at Williams, but to be fair he would also be one of the hot tips to move up to McLaren/Ferrari etc if a seat became available. Wonder if Flav would pay to put Piquet Jr into a Williams **if** Alonso goes to Renault alongside Kovy. Sutil may be a good choice, but might need to be "bought out" of his Spyker contract..... Wurz is solid as a midfield runner but possibly not the best choice for a team trying to break back into the top four. I honestly don't know about Luizzi or Klein, yes they seem pretty good drivers and probably F1 material, but I don't know how the paddock and F1 community really views them?

Like it.

ratonmacias
24th September 2007, 20:44
Umm. I don't think that GF, RS are slower than DC, who has consistently been outpaced by MW. Not even mentioning JT, who IMO is faster than DC. ;)

Actually I had an interesting thought. If Toyota at last makes a right decision and buys Williams, but won't change anything in the team's leadership and gives FW & Co freedom to operate like they had before. Rosberg and Trulli would drive for Williams-Toyota with 400 Million $ budget. That would be a real threat! :D In that case Cologne-team would be relegated into B-team status. Come on, that would be a perfect solution for all the parties! Oh, I can dream... :angel:

where do we sign.

truefan72
25th September 2007, 05:40

That is an interesting idea and a good one too :up:

Cra8zAboutFormulaOne
25th September 2007, 06:28
Ant! he's earned it

wmcot
25th September 2007, 09:48
Ide and Yoong??? ;)

Garry Walker
25th September 2007, 10:54
I can't see Ant going to Williams after the fiasco a few years ago between Honda & Williams.

I can`t see Williams wanting "Ant"

Finnish press mentioned it before you did, I am pretty sure of that.

If alonso leaves McLaren, then Rosberg to McLaren is could happen. I wouldnt be at all surprised if he started beating Hamilton there.
In that case, Williams would be left without any top calibre driver. Who would they turn to? Liuzzi? Klien? Fisi? :rotflmao: That would be a disaster for them.

Valve Bounce
25th September 2007, 11:26

In view of language constraints, I am not able to read the Finnish press.

However in view of all the permutations and combinations proferred by our well informed cognoscenti, all I can say is "Who Knows"

seppefan
25th September 2007, 12:08
I can`t see Williams wanting "Ant"

If alonso leaves McLaren, then Rosberg to McLaren is could happen. I wouldnt be at all surprised if he started beating Hamilton there.
In that case, Williams would be left without any top calibre driver. Who would they turn to? Liuzzi? Klien? Fisi? :rotflmao: That would be a disaster for them.

Well Ant would be a much better bet I feel than the other three. Doubt they will go for Piquet as I think they are aware of the bs and tantrums that sadly come with him.

ClarkFan
25th September 2007, 17:21

I know there are at least 6 drivers queued up with fat chequebooks wanting to drive for Frank.

Valve, I can't say you are wrong, but I would be sad to see that happen. Letting Rosberg go and going to a pay driver team would indicate that Williams has fallen to the sort of hard times that led to the end of Jordan (or Team Lotus, for that matter).

I would really hope that Frank's aspirations are higher. The team is enjoying a small revival this year and whipping the works Toyota team on a much smaller budget. It seems to me that if Williams wants to regain the top rung, they should keep Rosberg, sign another promising young driver (maybe not Piquet, but someone who draws a salary), and keep working to convince Toyota that F1 cars are not Camrys and that they are better off in F1 as an engine supplier.

It is the riskier short-term strategy, but Frank Williams was willing to take those risks as a younger man.

ClarkFan

ratonmacias
25th September 2007, 17:32
Valve, I can't say you are wrong, but I would be sad to see that happen. Letting Rosberg go and going to a pay driver team would indicate that Williams has fallen to the sort of hard times that led to the end of Jordan (or Team Lotus, for that matter).

I would really hope that Frank's aspirations are higher. The team is enjoying a small revival this year and whipping the works Toyota team on a much smaller budget. It seems to me that if Williams wants to regain the top rung, they should keep Rosberg, sign another promising young driver (maybe not Piquet, but someone who draws a salary), and keep working to convince Toyota that F1 cars are not Camrys and that they are better off in F1 as an engine supplier.

It is the riskier short-term strategy, but Frank Williams was willing to take those risks as a younger man.
ClarkFan

exactly my thoughts if SFW gets rid of rosberg for money and doesnt bring a top driver back he will be in my view accepting defeat and a place from midgrid to the back.

Sleeper
25th September 2007, 17:42

Never going to happen, Toyota are intent on winning with a team based on a Japanese work/managment ethos, and IMO this is the reason they will never win. ClarkFans idea is what they should do but I cant honestly see that happening.

Valve Bounce
26th September 2007, 14:20

ClarkFan

Actually, there are some drivers who are quite good and still (or will be) looking for an alternative drive; some who have quite good sponsorship. But unless Frank has a works team in cahoots, one who is willing to pay some of his bills, then yeah!! Frank might be looking for money to keep his team at top level.

Who knows?? I'm just hoping you guys will forget that it was me who said all this if it doesn't pan out. :(

Juppe
26th September 2007, 14:50

When you shoot in every direction you are bound to hit the target at least every now and then.

But I have to give it to Valve - no credible Finnish source reported it before Valve did, so in my books he won. At the time Valve said it, I didn't believe Kimi was going to Ferrari, it was only when trustworthy Finnish papers started to say the same thing, I started believing it.

Garry Walker
26th September 2007, 21:08
In view of language constraints, I am not able to read the Finnish press.

However in view of all the permutations and combinations proferred by our well informed cognoscenti, all I can say is "Who Knows"

I wasnt in this forum when the first reports started coming out, but if you indeed reported the Kimi to Ferrari move before the first finnish sources as Juppe has said, then I apologize and retract my previous comment in this thread.
Juppe - What is the name of the finnish newspaper which published the info first? Iltasanomat or Turunsanomat?

ratonmacias
28th September 2007, 04:52
sfw should get sutil quickˇˇˇˇ and sell hamilton for a zillion dollars if he feels the wiiliams is not good enough or have sutil and rosberg if he feels the wiiliams is going to be a good one next year.

David Lowndes
30th September 2007, 16:26
I'm a huge Williams fan, and I think "Ant" or Fisi would be a step backwards. We need to keep Rosberg, and he says he'll stay in light of what he has seen of next years car. Wurz needs to get out of the race seat; a driver who can't get out of Q1 is of no use to us.

At the end of the day Williams is using a Toyota engine (an evolution behind the works team), working on a fraction of the works Toyota bugget and beating them! Williams are a team who are moving forwards again and we should be able to attract drivers of quality.

I think Luizi will get the drive, but I won't be too happy about it. Glock would be a nice choice, but BMW might want to hold on to him for something. I hear Mr Alonso might be free though.....I guess we could accept him.