failed to materialize and there is nothing to be excited about in terms of new

venues. Oh well. The IRL should have kept its mouth shut about a 17th race

and not gotten us all excited over nothing. Very CCWS-like move. Makes me

sad and not altogether optimistic about other "exciting" news coming from

IRL brass and rumor mill. Was that southern Cali race ever a reality ? I don't

know.

Jonesi
19th September 2007, 00:14
Looks like the new schedule is out and it's the same as 2007 except Michigan is missing. The much anticipated blockbuster announcement for a new venue failed to materialize and there is nothing to be excited about in terms of new venues. Oh well. The IRL should have kept its mouth shut about a 17th race and not gotten us all excited over nothing. Very CCWS-like move. Makes me sad and not altogether optimistic about other "exciting" news coming from IRL brass and rumor mill. Was that southern Cali race ever a reality ? I don't know.

At least 2/3 of all rumored/tentative new events fail to happen for a variety of reasons (including F1 & Nascar). I would rather hear about them, then be shielded from the news because some people are too emotional about 'possible' events and can't kept things in perspective.

mark123
19th September 2007, 01:20
i agree with ChicagocrewIRL (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/member.php?u=75060) - we all like to hear rumours but the 16 race schedule was a little disappointing. i guess any new event would require a truck load of $$$s to get off the ground.

TU Homer
19th September 2007, 04:44
Looks like the new schedule is out and it's the same as 2007 except Michigan

is missing. The much anticipated blockbuster announcement for a new venue

failed to materialize and there is nothing to be excited about in terms of new

venues. Oh well. The IRL should have kept its mouth shut about a 17th race

and not gotten us all excited over nothing. Very CCWS-like move. Makes me

sad and not altogether optimistic about other "exciting" news coming from

IRL brass and rumor mill. Was that southern Cali race ever a reality ? I don't

know.

Are you pleased with the move toward IRL becoming the most diverse series in the world? Or are you dissappointed that the founding principles to preserve the American tradition of oval racing, preserve the greatness of the Indy 500, and provide a path for dirt trackers to get to Indy are no longer the principles of IRL?

-TU

ChicagocrewIRL
19th September 2007, 05:39
Are you pleased with the move toward IRL becoming the most diverse series in the world? Or are you dissappointed that the founding principles to preserve the American tradition of oval racing, preserve the greatness of the Indy 500, and provide a path for dirt trackers to get to Indy are no longer the principles of IRL?

-TU

I don't understand this whole thing that IRL haters bring up about the evolution of the series. Sure it no longer holds to the original principles that brought about its existence, but what organizations or entities don't adapt to the changing world in which we live?

Good grief, get over yourselves. Tony George founded the IRL for one reason and one reason alone.... the good of Tony George. Anyone who believes it was founded for any other reason is kidding themselves. Change has always been part of the plan.

So as for the IRL's switch to more diverse track types, I applaud it. I'm thankful that the majority of events are still on ovals and that the Indianapolis 500 is still the main focus and goal of the drivers and teams. (would this be the case if Indy was still part of CART? ... doubtful)

What I am bemoaning in my post is the fact that the IRL is losing one event without replacing it with another. Also the fact that inside sources were quoted in many media outlets that there was a big new event coming up, is cause for concern. This is regression not advancement. I am for the League advancing and adding events. That is why I say "blah"

Here's hoping the 2009 schedule brings us something new, something exciting, and something that adds to the number of events.

Peace and love to all

ChicagocrewIRL
19th September 2007, 05:47
At least 2/3 of all rumored/tentative new events fail to happen for a variety of reasons (including F1 & Nascar). I would rather hear about them, then be shielded from the news because some people are too emotional about 'possible' events and can't kept things in perspective.

Commenting about new venues and actually stating that there would be a big announcement when the new season schedule is announced, and THEN, not having said event does not lend much credibility to an organization and the way they do things.

see CCWS managerial decision making 2007.

'nuff said.

Who's emotional ?

nigelred5
20th September 2007, 01:02
There is always the possibility that rather than adding a new race, Michigan is still a possibility to return to the schedule in 2009 and they are not just adding a race for the sake of adding a race. They are changing the purse structure, so maybe this is just another part of a way to keep costs at current levels. I would still like to see a return of open wheel racing at PIR and New Hampshire.

I'm glad though to see a return to a more diverse schedule of tracks rather than the 100% oval series. Just a couple more changes and we'll at least be back to a '95-ish mix in the schedule.

DavePI2
20th September 2007, 01:18
thanks irl for comming back to midohio. Most enjoyable weekend I have ever spent watching racing. Say what you want about road course racing(my favorite kind of racing actually) but a weekend at a oval track doesn't match the experience of a weekend at a road course. Maybe someday I will get to experience watkins glen and road america also.

David

tbyars
20th September 2007, 07:27
ChicagoIRL, I agree with you that it would have been nice to see something replace Michigan. Didn't happen, at least not yet. Not sure it will.

But in regard to the 17th race, I've heard from a number of sources that race would have indeed been at Dodger Stadium. One source who tells me that has NEVER steered me wrong. Not ever in almost 10 years.

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that someone at 16th & Georgetown REALLY DID believe that this race would be heralded as the biggest thing since rubber tires. I don't know if that person was actually Terry Angstadt (who made the statement) or someone else, but I think they believed it would be embraced by IRL fans and teams.

After the venue began to leak a bit, it became pretty obvious that NO ONE felt this race was a very good idea. It wasn't big news, and it wasn't going to be well received.

I know I am being WAY to optimistic, but maybe someone with the IRL opened their eyes and ears, listened to the fans, teams and employees and squashed the whole idea.

Would I like to see a 17-race schedule? You bet. Would I rather see a 17-race schedule IF that 17th race was Dodger Stadium?

To pull an LA Valley Girl cliché out of the hat, "Gag me with a spoon!"

TU Homer
24th September 2007, 20:54
I don't understand this whole thing that IRL haters bring up about the evolution of the series. Sure it no longer holds to the original principles that brought about its existence, but what organizations or entities don't adapt to the changing world in which we live?

Good grief, get over yourselves. Tony George founded the IRL for one reason and one reason alone.... the good of Tony George. Anyone who believes it was founded for any other reason is kidding themselves. Change has always been part of the plan.

So as for the IRL's switch to more diverse track types, I applaud it. I'm thankful that the majority of events are still on ovals and that the Indianapolis 500 is still the main focus and goal of the drivers and teams. (would this be the case if Indy was still part of CART? ... doubtful)

What I am bemoaning in my post is the fact that the IRL is losing one event without replacing it with another. Also the fact that inside sources were quoted in many media outlets that there was a big new event coming up, is cause for concern. This is regression not advancement. I am for the League advancing and adding events. That is why I say "blah"

Here's hoping the 2009 schedule brings us something new, something exciting, and something that adds to the number of events.

Peace and love to all

This board has been on the blink; I've not been able to post in several days.

Anyway:
I don't hate the EARL so much as hate TG for destroying racing. Don't you and other racing fans find incredible irony that TG came about to "fix" racing, but in the meantime open wheel racing has ebbed to an all-time low, and the very thing TG set about to "correct" is exactly what he has become.

Whatever, let IRL become CART. But if you applaud the "new IRL" with a straight face, then I question your grasp on the history of racing.

-TU

jimispeed
25th September 2007, 06:32

Anyway:
I don't hate the EARL so much as hate TG for destroying racing. Don't you and other racing fans find incredible irony that TG came about to "fix" racing, but in the meantime open wheel racing has ebbed to an all-time low, and the very thing TG set about to "correct" is exactly what he has become.

Whatever, let IRL become CART. But if you applaud the "new IRL" with a straight face, then I question your grasp on the history of racing.

-TU

DanicaFan
25th September 2007, 10:19
I was so hoping for 20 races next year.

Mark in Oshawa
25th September 2007, 15:39

Anyway:

-TU

Homer has it right on. The whole REASON the IRL was supposively formed was because CART was on the wrong path, was spitting on the Indy 500 and American sprint and midget stars were having no career options. Well, outside of Tony Stewart and Sam Hornish, no Sprint or Midget guy has ever had a fair shake in the IRL, the Indy 500 isn't what it once was because half of the normal racing world who would go isn't allowed to come unless they pay for a car they would only use once a year, and we have seen what happened to the traditions of qualfying and bubble day. What is more, the IRL is more CART like all the time, and that really isn't a bad thing, it is the reason the IRL is getting traction, but to then turn around and say Change was always part of the mandate is BS. It was because the IRL as Tony envisioned it was a dog with fleas, and he spent a few years figuring this out.

OW racing is at its lowest ebb in North America right now because of this split, and while I am reaching a point where I can forgive Tony a little because at least he is seeing the light, I cannot abide by this fiction that this version of the IRL was always in the cards. This was a power play by Tony George to gain control of Open Wheeled racing because he was worried about the future of his Indy 500? Please....CART knew what they had with their association with the 500, and their sponsors reminded them of it. It is FICTION that the CART people were dumping on the 500. It was the jewel in a great series. Now that jewel is a bit more tarnished, but still a jewel, but the rubbish of OW racing is nothing compared to what it once was. I give the IRL credit at least for recognizing that the old CART format worked, and I see the IRL heading in that direction.

The IRL right now is almost to the point where they will cross the threshold of success. THey are not there yet..and likely wont get there until they either push CCWS out of business, or get a merger with them. Once one of those two events happens, we will see what is left. Right now.....the former is more likely to happen than the latter, but the latter would be better for the sport, and would do more to win over Champ Car fans who are bitter on how their series has been mismanaged the last 2 years...

Chris R
25th September 2007, 17:31
Excellent post Mark!!

Mark in Oshawa
26th September 2007, 01:04
Chris, I am not used to people agreeing with me on this board. I used to be the enemy over here, but I have sort of observed what the IRL is doing right and wrong over the years, and they are slowly morphing into something that is at least professionally run and managed......if it wasn't for the ugly way the IRL was rammed down race fan's throats, I might be an enthusiastic fan, but alas, I have to come to terms with a lot of the things I don't like.

Gordon Kirby quoted Bill France Jr. 10 years ago in one of his recent columns, and he asked Kirby in 1995 why he was so upset about the formation of the IRL, and he basically told Kirby that "they will screw up a good thing" or something to that effect. Sorta puts paid to the fiction maybe that Bill France TOLD Tony to do the IRL. I think just giving him the Brickyard 400 gave him the financial wherewithal to fund the IRL. Tony did the rest on his own....and lucky for race fans, is now taking the IRL to a place where maybe some old bitter CART fans can relax and maybe watch in a few years....