PDA

View Full Version : Spa was rather boring race....again

seppefan
17th September 2007, 11:56
Dragged the girl friend to the two European ChampCar races at Zolder and Assen. Much to her surprise she loved them with good racing and lots happening. She fell asleep during yesterdays grand prix.....

ShiftingGears
17th September 2007, 12:53
Too bad for her. I enjoyed the Belgian Grand prix the midfield racing was great to watch and the cars just look so fantastic going through corners like Blanchimont, Eau Rouge and Pouhon. I thought it much better than Assen, which was really a parade with safety cars.

millencolin
17th September 2007, 13:14
the Belgium Gp was more exciting than both european CC events...

its the kind of place that you could just watch one car drive around that amazing track and you could be entertained.

PLus there was some good passes as well... Webber on heikki was one i rather enjoyed :p :

gm99
17th September 2007, 13:15
Compared to Monza, it wasn't so bad - at least there was quite a bit of action farther down the field. I've seen far more boring races (more exciting ones too, of course).

I think it's always more exciting to actually go to a race than to just watch it on the telly - personally I didn't think either Assen or Zolder were all that great, either. Besides, I know lots of people who fall asleep during a race on TV and who say that the engine sound makes them sleepy ;)

Andrewmcm
17th September 2007, 14:14
Besides, I know lots of people who fall asleep during a race on TV and who say that the engine sound makes them sleepy ;)

Yeah I fell asleep watching the MotoGP yesterday, and that was apparently rather entertaining!

Mikko
17th September 2007, 18:11
its the kind of place that you could just watch one car drive around that amazing track and you could be entertained.

My thoughts exactly!

Basicly, all the Tilke-tracks at least LOOK boring as hell!

Spa, Nordschleife, Bathurst, Monaco, Gotlandring, and perhaps Montreal & Suzuka in some sense, look interesting, landscape is beatiful, lot of forests and most of all, lot of hills. In the middle off the fresh countryside... Mmm, me like it alot!!!

OmarF1
18th September 2007, 17:59
Damn m8's if you all are falling asleep during races you need to sleep 8 hours daily and don't drink that much the night before.

Spa was...hum..quite ok..I mean it wasn't too diferent to the quality of race we had on the Hungaboring..and you know what I mean..., see the perfect example of kind of good racing was monza, less aero more close racing, you do the math.

Mikeall
18th September 2007, 22:07
I thought Spa wasn't bad it was quite interesting with the 1 stop vs two stop strategies and not really knowing how it was going to pan out from 5th downwards.

The fact that there is such a massive difference between 1 stopping and two stopping meant that there was always cars with different fuel loads fighting together on track. That rarely happens if everyone is on two or three stops which is far too common since drivers have been qualifying with race fuel.

The first four were in order of how fast they were and simply couldn't catch the guy in front. Hamilton tried to run longer than Alonso but I he couldn't keep up and Alonso was faster after changing to soft tyres so it didn't make any difference. It was however a point of interest.

Kovalainen's good start with a heavy fuel load kept things interesting as did Kubica starting in 15th and their battle lasted the entire race.

I was pretty excited by how well Sutil was doing at the start of the race. Apparently his two stop fuel load combined with the soft tyres which suited the Spyker more than other teams allowed him to take Eau Rouge flat and pass a third of the field in the opening laps (even Trulli who was also two stopping). It was just a shame he couldn't pass Coulthard who held him up for ages and the lost time going off later in the race. I love the underdogs performing well and it made my race.

I guess I enjoy different things about F1 races, I prefer the stories rather than just who wins or whether there was a battle at the front, or if there was a lot of overtaking or crashes. In a race there are hundreds of stories unfolding but some of them are hard to notice but they can be the most rewarding and interesting and you only find out about them weeks, months or years after.