PDA

View Full Version : Now we know Why Bush won in 2004!

Alexamateo
29th December 2006, 04:08
That's right folks, Kirk Shelmerdine "may have made an unreported independent expenditure or a prohibited corporate expenditure."

The Federal Election Comission is right on it though and have sent "an admonishment letter" to Kirk Shelmerdine Racing.

I am glad they are doing such good work, I am sure that this unlawful Kirk Shelmerdine endorsement is what put Bush over the top. :dozey:

http://www.examiner.com/a-478208~Yeas_and_Nays__Thursday__Dec__28.html
[quote]
NASCAR driver is rebuked for Bush sticker

It’s no secret that NASCAR drivers skew Republican, which is fine with the Federal Election Commission, just so long as they don’t display their preferences where anyone can see them.
In a decision announced Tuesday, the FEC sent an “admonishment letter” to Kirk Shelmerdine Racing. Kirk Shelmerdine, a former pit boss for the late Dale Earnhardt, has been an unsuccessful, underfunded and undersponsored driver. He has never finished higher than 26th.
So back in 2004, in a move perhaps designed to draw some attention to his car, he placed a “Bush-Cheney ’04” decal on his rear quarter panel, which was otherwise unencumbered by advertising. Democratic activist Sydnor Thompson complained to the FEC, and the agency found that Shelmerdine “may have made an unreported independent expenditure or a prohibited corporate expenditure.”
Former commissioner Bradley Smith dissented in one of the case’s early votes and blogged about the result this week. He has written that in reference to the FEC’s $250 expenditure limit, “evidence is strong that the market value of Shelmerdine’s rear quarter panel was approximately $0, give or take $249.”
[quote]

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2006, 17:46
Doesn't this say a ton about stupidity?? First off, whether Kirk was a good driver or a bad one, his political views are his own, and he has a right to them. Second of all, his car was usually shown being pushed behind the wall, so who really would have seen the bumper sticker??

Sydnor Thompson I am sure would have had no complaints if it was a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker. This is just cheap partisanship which is what I have come to expect from many in American politics. The hatred for Dubya is so extreme in some people that even a tiny little bumper sticker on a no-hoper race car will cause thousands of dollars of time and energy being spent to make sure everyone is punished for this transgression. What a bunch of crap and a waste of everyone's time. It is no wonder Kerry couldn't win the election over an obvious intellectual light weight like Bush (maybe he isn't so dumb after all if Kerry is so "smart") with idiots like Sydnor Thompson being the brain trust behind the DNC.

As a Canadian, I laugh out loud at the stupidity south of the border in the political scene, because I can avoid crying when I see the similar stupidty up here...

"Democracy, a terrible way to run a country that is better than the altenatives." Churchill I think was hinting at nonsense like this when he said it....

call_me_andrew
30th December 2006, 07:31
Sydnor Thompson I am sure would have had no complaints if it was a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker. This is just cheap partisanship which is what I have come to expect from many in American politics. The hatred for Dubya is so extreme in some people that even a tiny little bumper sticker on a no-hoper race car will cause thousands of dollars of time and energy being spent to make sure everyone is punished for this transgression. What a bunch of crap and a waste of everyone's time

1. Maybe Sydnor Thompson wouldn't complain, but some Bush supporter would.
2. So every single Canadian loves Stephen Harper?
3. There's a trickle down theory at work here. If they didn't spend the money to investigate this, how would the investigators feed their families.