PDA

View Full Version : O/T... Colin Mcrae

darknessrock
15th September 2007, 21:11
Just heard colins helicopters crashed, no survivors.. not confirmed if colin was on board, lets hope not

LessThanSte
15th September 2007, 21:21
Yeh just about to post this myself.

Though theres reports circulating that he was onboard :o

Please no.....

LessThanSte
15th September 2007, 22:16
It appears to be confirmed now. Times Online reporting it as pretty much confirmed, still nothing utterly official though.

Its a sad, sad day!

Colin Mcrae: 1968 - 2007

Tiesse
15th September 2007, 22:41
The news is saying that there were no survivors, however they have not yet confirmed who was killed.

Lets spare a thought for the family & loved ones of whoever was killed in the accident, whether it was indeed Colin or someone else!

If it was Colin flying, to think that only a few short years ago, the rallying fraternity had Richard Burns & Colin McRae amongst them. Terrible news if he has passed away.

Colin's guest drive of an ASCAR was one of my most memorable drives I've seen at Rockingham, God bless him & his family at what is a truly sad time.

Brings things a bit closer to home when I realised just now that I am the same age as him.

LessThanSte
15th September 2007, 22:48
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Whats more disturbing is that i installed Colin McRae rally on this very pc at 4pm today. It crashed at 4:15 :|

The BBC and Sky News will be awaiting formal identification, but Colin's wife has apparently made a statement to motorsport-total.com confirming it :(

RIP :(

Tiesse
15th September 2007, 22:54
Taken from the Times Online article

"Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, said the 39-year-old driver had been piloting the helicopter himself. Also on board were believed to be his son Johnny, another adult and another child. Police said there were no survivors."

Terrible, terrible news.

I hope that there is some form of respect paid to his memory at tomorrow's meeting, he deserves it!

R3ROK
16th September 2007, 00:13
Can't believe it. My thoughts are with Colin's family.

Gutted.....RIP

JDPower
16th September 2007, 00:24
I hope that there is some form of respect paid to his memory at tomorrow's meeting, he deserves it!
Definitely, a minutes silence tomorrow please ;(

Bad Actor
16th September 2007, 00:35
Totally shocked and gutted.

Not felt like this since Greg Moore was killed in 1999.

I listened to his manic in car comms on my scanner during the 2002 Ascar race which supported the Champ car race. He was complaining of some bad rear wheel vibration or something and I got completely immersed in the whole thing. He was obviously enjoying it. Couldn't believe I was ear-wigging on Colin Mc Crae, World Rally Champ doing his thing around Rockingham.
Sort of makes his death more personal because of that.

RIP. :(

SkidCarrera
16th September 2007, 09:43
It's just awful...and his 5 yr old son too. We should definitely mark it at the Rock today.

F150pickup
16th September 2007, 10:29
It's just awful...and his 5 yr old son too. We should definitely mark it at the Rock today.

We are awaiting official confirmation at Silverstone so that we can have a Min Silence before LEMS Race Flags are at half mast on the BRDC club house

acorn
16th September 2007, 12:01
without wishing to lessen the gravity of the situation, once again, as in the scsa red card situation, we have the media speculating. reading bbc teletext was my first knowledge of this news and i was incensed when i saw mcrae's name listed and then further down that the identities had yet to be confirmed.

what was wrong with "a helicopter owned by mcrae has crashed with no survivors. the identities of the victims has to be confirmed." end of piece. but no, they have to speculate who the victims were.

Alfa Fan
16th September 2007, 13:58
Because they knew McRae was on it and was one of the victims, just it hadn't been confirmed. Identification of the victims is an official process and they can't officially state one of the bodies was McRae until the police confirm it, which they have now done.

colbee53
16th September 2007, 14:46
So sad, I was also at the meeting where Colin was driving the ASCAR. He was fantastic driver & will be sadly missed. My thoughts & prayers go out too his family.....RIP Colin

Colin

Abo
16th September 2007, 21:03

pickup
16th September 2007, 22:22

racing59
16th September 2007, 22:31

darknessrock
16th September 2007, 22:35

Chigley
16th September 2007, 22:59

turn 4 mad
16th September 2007, 23:22

The White Lady
17th September 2007, 14:59

Jordygirl
17th September 2007, 16:35

shuz7
17th September 2007, 16:56

syd
17th September 2007, 20:40

Henry Cutts
17th September 2007, 20:46

stanty
17th September 2007, 22:20
The whole incident is just so sad, I’ve known Colin for quite some years, and got to know him and the McRae family so very well.

I worked with Colin as one of his rally engineers during his time with ford in the late eighties, and what brilliant times they were.

The sport has lost an amazing character, a true genius and a true legend.
Such a sad double loss for the McRae family, our thoughts are with them.

Nick Brad
18th September 2007, 15:16
Sadly we weren't able to get oficial confirmation in time, otherwise I can assure you that a minutes silence would have been observed for Colin.
I was discussing it with Neil and it would have been wrong to hold a minutes silence for him without knowing for sure that he was onboard, sadly news of the incident was scarce to say the least at the track, I was constantly asking people if we'd had confirmation, but it wasn't to be.

Rest In Peace Colin McRae, 1968 - 2007 :z

earnhardt8
18th September 2007, 18:03
Colin's death was confirmed at about 1.30,i could'nt believe that a minutes silence was'nt held between the pickups finishing and the short oval races starting.

Nick Brad
18th September 2007, 18:11
Exactly, not long before the cars were due out and I don't know about RJN up in the commentary box, but we certainly didn't hear about it as soon as it was confirmed. I am sorry for the loss and if we could have held a 1 minute's silence, it would have been done. :(

Larsen
18th September 2007, 23:20
A great shame to lose Colin McRae

I would think there would be a special tribute to him at the Autosport show next year, like they've done with Richard Burns a few years ago :(

JDPower
21st September 2007, 20:04
http://www.colinmcrae.com/Page1.htm