PDA

View Full Version : Colin McRae

Zico
15th September 2007, 20:05
A Helicopter registered to Colin McRae has crashed, At least one body has been recovered from the wreckage.. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6996860.stm

Please to God No!

Brother John
15th September 2007, 20:09
A Helicopter registered to Colin McRae has crashed, 2 bodies have been recovered from the wreckage.. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6996860.stm

Please to God No!

Ho told you that it is a Colin McRae registered helicopter?

Zico
15th September 2007, 20:10
A friend told me, I dont know his source yet.

AndySpeed
15th September 2007, 20:12
I just read it on Autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62436

Was Colin likely on board? The story doesn't say.

Zico
15th September 2007, 20:12
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1284278,00.html

MYCROFT4
15th September 2007, 20:16
It's all over Sky News. Noboby confirming yet exactly who's on board but it Colin's helicopter and it is on his estate.

Daniel
15th September 2007, 20:18
I just don't want to know.

[WRCRR]
15th September 2007, 20:22
I just don't want to know.
. :(

gerrycrossey
15th September 2007, 20:31
RIP to the victims and condolences to their families

Zico
15th September 2007, 20:32
RIP to the victims and condolences to their families

Indeed.. Whoever they may be. :(

Tigger9232
15th September 2007, 20:37
Can´t think about it........ don´t wanna think about it.

Timole
15th September 2007, 20:37
omg terrible news.

Daniel
15th September 2007, 20:42
bbc said there will be no formal identification of the bodies till tomorrow.

AndySpeed
15th September 2007, 20:42
Apparently the indentities of those on board won't be disclosed tonight. Will make it difficult to sleep.

Iain
15th September 2007, 20:43
Very sad whoever the victims are. :(

I've heard from a friend who lives near Lanark who told me what the word was on it locally, but you know how stories grow arms and legs when it's not coming from official channels.

Zico
15th September 2007, 20:54
My brother is not long off the phone to a very close friend of the McRaes. He was quite distressed... refused to confirm it 100% until formalities have been carried out but stated that it didn't look good.

farquar wrc
15th September 2007, 21:05
BREAKING NEWS
GARETH ROSE AND JEREMY WATSON

SCOTTISH rally champion Colin McRae is feared dead after a helicopter crash close to his Lanarkshire home.

The Twin Squirrel helicopter registered to the former World Champion rally driver came down shortly after 4pm this afternoon about 200 yards from his 17th-century mansion house.

Police sources said the blue helicopter used by the 39-year-old multi-millionaire craft had exploded in a “fireball.”

Eyewitness David Lowry, who lives nearby, said the helicopter flew over his head before plunging into a valley.

As many as four people are believed to have died in the crash but it was not clear tonight how many were aboard the aircraft at the time.

Local people feared McCrae had been travelling with a male friend and two children.

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said officers were trying to establish who was on board and where the helicopter was travelling to and from.

“The damage has been so bad that we don’t know how many people were on board. It might be one, it might be more,” she said. “We just don’t know at the moment.”

She added that it could be some time before official identifications can be made.

Weather conditions at the time were deteriorating with strengthening winds and light rain.
The Department of Transport’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch were travelling to the scene at Jervis Wood, one mile north of Lanark last night.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews.

Strathclyde Fire Brigade also has units in attendance at the scene.

David Lowry, 48, who owns New Steadings Farm, just across the Mouse Water from McRae’s home, with his wife and two daughters, saw the helicopter crash.

He said: “I was speaking to one of my friends on the farm. The helicopter came overhead and then disappeared into the valley.

“After it disappeared I saw smoke rising from the trees and phoned the emergency services.

“I could not see what happened when it went down. It did not seem to be in any trouble. It was about half a mile from me and the helicopter seemed to be flying normally.

"It was navy blue in colour and I am led to believe it belongs to Colin McRae.

"It is up so often my cattle don’t even flinch when it is overhead."

He added: “I know him well enough to say hello to, although I don’t know him personally.

“If it turns out to be him it will have an unbelievable effect on the local community.”

He added: “Colin is a very popular person around here. We only moved here seven years ago, but they are a Lanark family born and bred.”

McCrae was the first Briton to be named world rally champion when he won the title in the mid-1990s. He was later awarded an MBE by the Queen for his outstanding achievements.

He has also produced very popular rally computer games.

As darkness fell tonight, police had erected a blue incident tent in the woods at the scene of the crash.

Police threw a 600-yard cordon around the house. Friends and relatives of the McRae family were gathering at the home of a neighbour, 300 yards from the McRae home.

McCrae, born in Lanark in 1968, is the son of five-time British Rally Champion, Jimmy McRae.

He was the first Briton to be named world champion when he won it in the mid-1990s. He was also awarded an MBE by the Queen for his outstanding achievements.

He has also produced very popular and lucrative rally computer games, including Colin McRae Dirt.
McRae also bought a home in Monaco in 1995, partly through his friendship with Formula One driver David Coulthard.

However, as his young family has grown up, he has spent more time back at his home in Lanarkshire - accepting the higher tax liability of living in Scotland. McRae is married to Alison, and has two children, Hollie, 4, and five-year-old Johnny.

His brother, Alister, believed to be in Australia at present, is also a professional rally driver and has enjoyed some success, including winning the British Rally Championship in 1995.

PJRevs
15th September 2007, 21:05
So sad news!

AndySpeed
15th September 2007, 21:06
Colin McRae feared dead in helicopter crash (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/15/ncopter115.xml)

:(

j_omcc
15th September 2007, 21:12
Still not confirmed on Sky News so it is not up to anyone here to formally confirm the worst. After speaking with someone with information, we are to expect our worst fears.

Miika
15th September 2007, 21:14
So many tragedies in the recent years - rarely do we get any positive news from the WRC. F¤cking hell this is just sad sad news once again.

Josti
15th September 2007, 21:17
oh no...

have no words...

anakens_dad
15th September 2007, 21:20
RIP to whoever has passed...

please dont let it be colin or his children.. :(

SubaruNorway
From Petter Solberg forum Colin, his son and the sons friend dead.
There are 4 people

bf1_IRL
:( :( :( :( RIP

FAlonso
15th September 2007, 21:21
Doesn't look good at all. Very, very sad news if true... :(

Josti
15th September 2007, 21:24
even wikipedia confirmed, rest in peace Colin...

..oh my god...

Daniel
15th September 2007, 21:25
wikipedia isn't a source!

15th September 2007, 21:27
I live in lanark and was just told on the phone that it was colin, his son, a friend and his 1 year old child

White Sauron
15th September 2007, 21:27
R.I.P. Colin...

Oh... seems each autumn some great rallying personality passes away..(((((

Josti
15th September 2007, 21:28
I know I know, but ít's pretty official most of the times. I'm sorry, I just can't believe this...

Daniel
15th September 2007, 21:30
I know I know, but ít's pretty official most of the times. I'm sorry, I just can't believe this...
Anyone can edit it. It is in no way official.

Daniel
15th September 2007, 21:31
I live in lanark and was just told on the phone that it was colin, his son, a friend and his 1 year old child
Please don't post news which isn't 100% confirmed by a press release...... I know it's probably true but if it's false you've just ruined the night for thousands of people who read this forum all for no reason.

pino
15th September 2007, 21:41
Please do not post any news and details about it, until it will be officially confirmed...thanks :)

WRXedUSA
15th September 2007, 21:45
Please tell me it isnt so.

-chad

domaza
15th September 2007, 21:45
Lets hope this time 1+1 won't be 2 ...

kakus
15th September 2007, 21:50
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=482017&in_page_id=1770

yodasarmpit
15th September 2007, 21:53
Regardless of who was onboard this is sad news.

If Colin was onboard he will be missed dearly by all motorsport fans.

seb_sh
15th September 2007, 21:54
It seems several sources say that Colin was in the helicopter along with 3 others and there are no survivors. :( If this is confirmed it's a sad day for motorsport :(

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

domaza
15th September 2007, 21:58
RIP McCrash...

You will be missed!!!

Josti
15th September 2007, 22:01
Let's just wait for an official confirment then. Hard to believe.

Daniel
15th September 2007, 22:05
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, said the 39-year-old driver had been piloting the helicopter himself. Also on board were believed to be his son Johnny, another adult and another child. Police said there were no survivors.

:bigcry:

J4MIE
15th September 2007, 22:32
Please wait until there is official confirmation - thanks.