PDA

View Full Version : Safety regulations

White Sauron
28th December 2006, 18:19
Just thought, what if... Hirvonen hit that stone in GB on the last stage. And what if he had been leading by that moment? Just look, he crosses the finish line as a winner and comes to service park, where his car is to be checked by FIA' delegates... Would he be disqualified or not? I'm worrying, cause if a similar situation really does occur with some driver, what will be the result?

alleskids
28th December 2006, 18:51
If he had the accident on the last stage, he does not have to do a stage anymore, but can still drive safely, on 4 wheels on the public road, so there should be no reason not to let him drive to the podium and collect the prize. But if he still had a few of meter or hunderds miles of competitve stage to do, he should be regularly takenout of competition. Stage distance left should not be taken into consideration. An accident can happen on the first meter and on the last meter.

White Sauron
28th December 2006, 18:58
Yes, I know... But this can be really pity, if just a super special stage left to run... Nothing dangerous can happen there, but... oh, hope such thing will never happen!

Koppomsbo
28th December 2006, 19:03
We almost had one of those things in rally gb, think if Patrik Sandell had broken his safty cage and come to the finish line..

alleskids
28th December 2006, 19:40
Even in super special he can hit the barrier under the wrong angel ( Sordo made mistake in super special, Hirvonen has done things wrong in super specials). It would look very unsmart/stupid for the organisation and the FIA if (fatal) injury were casued because of the weakend roll bars. Every competitive meter requires a safety, for every competitor, the leader and the backmarker. If Hirvone was leading the rally on the last stage, he should have accidents and retiments in his mind. He gambled and he lost. If he had enough distance to number two to drive the super special at a steady (very safe, streetwise, braking nicely for each corner) pace, he was stupid making the mistake in the last real stage. pitty

Lousada
28th December 2006, 21:18
It won't happen because Ford or the FIA will retire the car via SupeRally before it reaches Parc Ferme.

White Sauron
28th December 2006, 21:36
It won't happen because Ford or the FIA will retire the car via SupeRally before it reaches Parc Ferme.

And so? The point is whether a driver gets his victory or not? Can the same thing as with Sandell in JWRC happen in WRC?

N.O.T
28th December 2006, 21:51
And so? The point is whether a driver gets his victory or not? Can the same thing as with Sandell in JWRC happen in WRC?

safety rules apply equally to every rally car that competes in an event...so the answer is YES

Erki
28th December 2006, 22:12
I guess if the car gets damaged on the penultimate stage and there's no service before the final stage then the crew can still finish the rally. Hirvonen drove two stages with damaged rollcage before being excluded in service.

Lousada
29th December 2006, 13:20

It will get a penalty of five minutes (or is it 10 in 2007?) because it missed the last stage. So it can still finish in the points and theoretically with the victory if the lead is big enough.

I guess if the car gets damaged on the penultimate stage and there's no service before the final stage then the crew can still finish the rally. Hirvonen drove two stages with damaged rollcage before being excluded in service.

But the car won't pass the after-race scrutineering in your scenario.

Erki
29th December 2006, 14:21
But the car won't pass the after-race scrutineering in your scenario.

Blame alleskids, he said that as there are no stages left, the roll cage wouldn't matter.

I guess it would be best if some olddo ( ;) ) copied official rules here.

alleskids
29th December 2006, 17:01
Blame alleskids, he said that as there are no stages left, the roll cage wouldn't matter.

I guess it would be best if some olddo ( ;) ) copied official rules here.

Sure blame it on me that Hirvone made such a mess of his leading position on the last sgtage(s) :p If he just drove nice and steady, we would not have had this discussion about post-race scrutineering :)

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/1948515195__WRC_reg.pdf

Why can't FRM do what they are supposed to be good at and fix it. Call in there Japaneese Bear and threaten the scrutineers that they wil be eaten alive.

FrankenSchwinn
29th December 2006, 17:51
Why can't FRM do what they are supposed to be good at and fix it. Call in there Japaneese Bear and threaten the scrutineers that they wil be eaten alive.

because Loeb wasn't there......

Langdale Forest
23rd January 2010, 21:52
How badly does a roll cage need to be before the car is automaticly disqualified?

Macd
23rd January 2010, 22:24
How badly does a roll cage need to be before the car is automaticly disqualified?

Any weakening at all.

Langdale Forest
23rd January 2010, 22:28
what di you mean by any weakening?
does that mean even a scratch?

Macd
23rd January 2010, 23:59
No. Anything that weakens the structure. The chances of a scratch weakening T45 steal are millions to one and I think you know that....

Langdale Forest
5th February 2010, 19:00
When there is enough damage to be disqualified, but the damage is only to a small part to the structure, does the entire cage need to be replaced?

bowler
6th February 2010, 03:45
the cage needs to be up to the safety standards that it is complied under. If that means repairing or replacing the cage, then that is what is required.

Langdale Forest
6th February 2010, 09:39
In the case of Mikko's car in Wales 2006, would a new bar have needed to be welded on or a new cage because that is the only place that the cage was weakend?

Rally Hokkaido
6th February 2010, 10:08
the cage needs to be up to the safety standards that it is complied under. If that means repairing or replacing the cage, then that is what is required.
And the cage would have to be repaired by or under the direction of the cage manufacturer.

Langdale Forest
6th February 2010, 10:10
And that would take along time I guess?

bowler
7th February 2010, 09:18
time depends on the location of the manufacturer, or their authorised repairer.

If they are are close by it may not take too much time, but normally it means that you are out of the rally.

Langdale Forest
15th March 2010, 19:32
When is a cage deemed too badly damaged to be repaired?
How often are damaged rollcages repairable?