PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb Shortage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel
28th December 2006, 13:01
This was the headline on BBC News 24 a little while ago. Is there nothing newsworthy these days? :confused: :p

Down to the serious business though. Apparently mild weather has affected yields of Rhubard in the so called "Rhubarb Triangle" in Yorkshire.

You couldn't make this stuff up :p

EuroTroll
28th December 2006, 13:14
Seems like proper news to me. Something that's real and actually affects some people. Unlike:
- politicians having mistresses,
- Posh and Becks having a fight,
- "scientists" in ****all University developing a "formula for happiness",
- etc.

RaceFanStan
28th December 2006, 13:19
Here in the US we have seen many things face a "shortage" ...
there is always plenty on the shelves, only the price is doubled ...
it is greedy suppliers ripping-off the consumer ...
I would think rhubarb could be lived without ...
if it is a ploy to raise the price, it could bite them on the butt. :laugh:

EuroTroll
28th December 2006, 13:29
Here in the US we have seen many things face a "shortage" ...
there is always plenty on the shelves, only the price is doubled ...
it is greedy suppliers ripping-off the consumer ...
I would think rhubarb could be lived without ...
if it is a ploy to raise the price, it could bite them on the butt. :laugh:

For common food stuff, it's practically impossible to "invent" a shortage, because there's a large number of different suppliers in the market. It would take a cartel agreement between many parties, which is very difficult to achieve and, of course, illegal.

There are plenty on the shelves because people are buying less because of the higher price. Here (http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/)'s an introductory text on Economics. ;) :p :

Eki
28th December 2006, 14:09
Rhubarb Triangle? Sounds just like a dodgy area where Hazell might live. I bet a lot of people disappear without leaving a trace every year in the Rhubarb Triangle.

Erki
28th December 2006, 14:20
Why watch news(olds) anyway? :confused:

Captain VXR
28th December 2006, 14:35
Rhubarb Triangle? Sounds just like a dodgy area where Hazell might live. I bet a lot of people disappear without leaving a trace every year in the Rhubarb Triangle.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :rotflmao: !

Hazell B
28th December 2006, 22:21
'Tis true, I live near the Yorkshire Rhubarb Triangle :p :

It's much like Bermuda, with a bit of Mafia style thrown in. They feed the bad guys (mainly tax officials and unbendable judges) to the rhubarb, then feed the rhubarb to pigs, then the pigs to Southerners. Talk about overkill :p :

Anyway, how's a crop grown in heated indoor sheds (built like nuclear bunkers, they are!) worried by some weather? It's not even cold yet. Me thinks it's not only poor news, but false too! The rhubarb farmers trying to get publicity and high prices - canny devils - is probably the reason it's 'news'.

By the way, if ever you want to scare the pants off somebody, stick them in a rhubarb shed. They're lit by one candle every twenty yards and the stuff grows so fast you can hear it crack and snap. Very eerie :s

jim mcglinchey
28th December 2006, 23:54
.......what next? the great custard famine of ' 06 ?! " I'll never forget the dark days of the winter of 07.....we were so hungry we had to have whipped ceram on our apple crumble..."

Drew
29th December 2006, 00:55
Please reassure me that stocks of rhubard and custard will not be affected.

SOD
29th December 2006, 04:59
rhubarb shortage?

we had a bumper crop of the stuff in the back garden this year.

Sleeper
29th December 2006, 13:02
Its a good job we grow are own rhubarb here then.