PDA

View Full Version : BARC Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup

Radders
28th December 2006, 12:55
Any more news on this?

Last I saw was the 888 Astra kit, but nothing since and info seems a bit thin on the ground. Is it still going to happen in 2007?

tintin
28th December 2006, 17:39
I thought there was something about it in Motorsport News last week. But I can't find it now, so maybe I imagined it... :confused:

Iain
28th December 2006, 17:57
There was a one page ad in Autosport two weeks ago about it. Still seems to be going ahead. The only potential cars I've heard of so far, are the 888 Astra and a company are building Citroen C2s, both of which featured in this advert. No news on anyone actually buying these cars and using them though.

Dave Clark
29th December 2006, 11:16
I had an entry form from the BARC, I was thinking of entering an MG ZS, but by myself the funds were looking a little tight. It is all still going ahead, I have the details of the dates at home, but I'm at work at the moment, I'll post them later.

The C2 and Astra are but a few. Others include, Hyundai Coupe, MG ZR and ZS, BMW 1 and 3, Alfa 147, and a whole host of other cars are being considered by teams.

What I dont understand is that there is no points system and no championship, so ultimately, no overall winner. The person with the most wins does win a garland and prize though.

Captain VXR
29th December 2006, 13:23
Go on, enter, you know you want to :up:

Iain
29th December 2006, 13:47
Are you going to pay for him to do it then? ;)

Dave Clark
29th December 2006, 19:18
1+2 - 28/29 April - Snetterton
3+4 - 26/28 May - Oulton Park (Island)
5+6 - 4/5 August - Donington Park (National)
7+8 - 25/26 August - Croft
9+10 - 22/23 September - Pembrey
11+12 - 6/7 October - Brands Hatch (Indy)

Its only a £100 entry fee, but no championship points, no series bonus only prize would be a garland and trophy to each race winner, and trophy to each class winner.

Class A upto 110 bhp per ton
Class B 111 to 130 bph per ton
Class C 131 to 160 bhp per ton
Class D 161 and over
Class E - 4WD Vehicles

All must be production saloons and closed coupes available for general sale in UK showroom (regs state grey import cars like the Honda Integra are not eligable).

The problem I faced was arousing interest in potetial sponsors who didnt know of the series, wondered what media coverage they got, and what viewing figures would be like for the weekend.

Promising though for someone with rich parents or someone who owns their own business who want to get into saloon car racing on a lesser budget than BTCC...

Captain VXR
29th December 2006, 19:25
Are you going to pay for him to do it then? ;)

No :p

thompp
29th December 2006, 22:02
How much it would it cost to convert a qualifying road car to meet the minimum spec for this series...?

thompp
29th December 2006, 22:05
The problem I faced was arousing interest in potetial sponsors who didnt know of the series, wondered what media coverage they got, and what viewing figures would be like for the weekend.

answers to both questions would be (a) very little and (b) none, I suspect. :(

Allyc85
29th December 2006, 22:41
i like the way theyve done the classes by BHP per tonne. That seems alot fairer than doing it by engine size.

Unfortuantly I cant really see a space for this new series but il happily be proven wrong :)

Dave Clark
30th December 2006, 02:26
Wouldnt cost much to convert a road car. That is what I was looking at.

You are permitted to using the same suspension but can change certain aspects of it. Original engine and gearbox set up, original brake discs (pads are changeable).

I think the encouragement is to do exactly that. What I dont get is if it has to be a production car then I understand the heavily publicised C2 VTR, but there is no Vauxhall Astra Sprint available in the showroom?

Captain VXR
30th December 2006, 10:29
It's probably based on the Astra VXR or 2.0 sri

thompp
30th December 2006, 11:16
also no Nissan Primera...? :(

Iain
30th December 2006, 12:15
You could probably enter one if you wanted.

Dave Clark
1st January 2007, 18:45
Any car that has 2, 3, 4 or 5 doors, excluding SUVs, MPVs, off-road vehicles or open bodied sports cars. Cars available with aftermarket hardtops are still not eligable, as it is not a permenant fixture.

btracer
1st January 2007, 19:29
Does it not just seem like another needless championship though? With dwindling numbers in motorsport in general that last thing we really need is another championship.

Allyc85
2nd January 2007, 22:02
^ thats exactly what I was thinking, theres plenty of saloon championships and there isnt really a need for another.

m0rk
25th February 2007, 10:19
I can't find any information on this at all...

the PR's say visit http://www.driversknow.co.uk for more info, but I'm scuppered if I can see anything.

Radders
25th February 2007, 10:54
I got something through the post the other day which mentioend it and also read another article in Evo I think saying it was going support the BTCC at some rounds?!

captin 1 VXR
25th February 2007, 11:32
brundles or blundles son was ment to be doing it ( names spelt wrong i know ).

think 888 had sold 4 or so cars and one or to 750 hot hatch drivers had said thay was going to do it but names i have forgoten