PDA

View Full Version : Grönholm to end his career after this season

janneppi
14th September 2007, 09:40
http://www.mgr.fi/

– Over 20 years of rallying has given me a lot and I've always dreamed of ending my career on its' top. Now I have excellent chance to make it happen and I'm going to use it. There are no dramatics involved as I want to give possibilities for younger driver to reach their dreams - like I have done, told Grönholm from the island of Corsica as he's testing for forthcoming events.

wroom
14th September 2007, 09:48
but you have to respect the man's decision to retire while on top of the game. Will miss his fighting spirit. Let's hope the 'young ones' or Petter can rise to challenge Loeb in the coming years.

A.F.F.
14th September 2007, 09:48
What do you know. My bulvan was once right :eek:

All Hail to Marcus and thanks for the great years. :up:

Glee
14th September 2007, 09:53
Who is it now that can supply us with funny remarks?
Your comments will be missed…

AndyRAC
14th September 2007, 10:07
Okay, I'll miss him, he's a great driver. First remember him from the mid 90's. His interviews are really entertaining, big loss for the WRC, Loeb has no competition now.
GOD LUCK MARCUS!!! :) :) :)

cut the b.s.
Big boots to be filled, and as Glee has pointed out, its not just his driving will be missed. He has been a fantastic competitor, good luck to him and I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as we have all enjoyed watching him. Whether you have been a Marcus fan or not you cant ignore what he has done, and driven others to do over the years

[WRCRR]
Expected, but still its quite sad. Anyway, thanks for the great years and memories, now is the time to move on.

Priorat
14th September 2007, 10:20
Loeb himself will be the first to miss him.
At least I hope he will do some one offs in Sweden or Finland.

AlfaWRC
14th September 2007, 10:26
Big boots to be filled - indeed.
Mikko, it will be up to you! He can manage - I am sure!!!

Roy
14th September 2007, 10:27
Great end! Sad he stops! I am afraid 2008 will be boring. (I hope I'm wrong.)

Camelopard
14th September 2007, 10:38
hhmmmmm, this is a shame, but it's his life and his decision.
Petter to Ford?
Who gets second seat at Subaru?
Stobbart possibly dropping sponsorship after change of ownership? Could be an interesting 'silly season'....

grugsticles
14th September 2007, 10:39
Yes, its the end of an era.
Marcus, although not my favourite driver, always had something to input weather it be a commanding few seasons with Pug Pug, or a 'childlike' hissy fit resaction when things werent going his way. And that is a good thing as its entertaining.

All the best to Marcus and Timo in whatever they choose to do in the future!

Jaanus
14th September 2007, 10:42
I think he made the right decision. He is a great champion and a real character and the WRC world will miss him.

GigiGalliNo1
14th September 2007, 10:44
:( win win win the season! :D

Woodeye
14th September 2007, 10:44
Just saw the news. Dammit... :(

Not good for the sport.

Anyway, it's Marcus decicion and we'll have to respect it.

jonkka
14th September 2007, 10:50
A really big shame but one that I understand well and am not very surprised that it turned this way.

Now the big question will be Ford's reaction, who'll drive for them? Or rather, who other than Mikko?

Donney
14th September 2007, 10:55
Well, hail to the great man. Great driver and always a fighter. I hope he wins the championship this year.

Who's the next flying finn?

Do you think he'll do the Dakar rally?

What happens now at Ford?

Oh... so many questions to answer in a few months.

White Sauron
14th September 2007, 11:01
Thanks you Marcus and Timo! We will miss you, but it's the right decision. And now go for the third title!!! Hip-hip-hourah to the champion!!!!

Tom206wrc
14th September 2007, 11:03
Sad but we must respect his decision... :(

I guess Ste898 will come shout at him in this thread to have chosen to abandon Ford... :mark:

J4MIE
14th September 2007, 11:12
I can't blame him for deciding to go.

I just hope that he can indeed go out on top :D

wrc_flipper
14th September 2007, 11:14
I'm sad but respect his decision.
And lets hope he win the title for this year!

AndyRAC
14th September 2007, 11:14
He's the last of the 'old guard' to retire. End of an era!!

Timole
14th September 2007, 11:18
Sad indeed. Thank you Marcus for all the great years. You are a true Chmap!

Le NaRcX
14th September 2007, 11:22
Thank you and good luck Marcus!

Zes
14th September 2007, 11:31
Too bad for WRC! But anyway he told he might do a rally or couple later on if he feels so... I wish so much Marcus will win a title this year. Seb may win the next 3 in a row, but please let Marcus win one more!

Daniel
14th September 2007, 11:32
Bad news :( He'll be missed sorely. Not least of all by Loeb himself :) Loeb will have to drive stages backwards next year just for a decent challenge.

Luckin
14th September 2007, 11:46
Hats off for Marcus and Timo, it won't be the same without them, I am sure. Hopefully he will win the championship one last time. Maybe Loeb will let Marcus win the title as a reward ;)

Regarding next year's WRC - with all respect to Mikko, I don't think next year's championship will be very dramatic. But fingers crossed for him and the others to challenge Seb at least on a couple of rallyes.

pino
14th September 2007, 12:11
Sad news for all rallyfans but I understand his decision...thanks a lot Marcus for all the excitment you gave us in your amazing career :up:

cut the b.s.
14th September 2007, 12:21
Too bad for WRC! But anyway he told he might do a rally or couple later on if he feels so... I wish so much Marcus will win a title this year. Seb may win the next 3 in a row, but please let Marcus win one more!

Shout me down if I'm wrong but I dont think he ever won a WRC on tar? He has had some very good performances on the stuff and I hope that he can correct this omision before the seasons end

Zes
14th September 2007, 12:53
Shout me down if I'm wrong but I dont think he ever won a WRC on tar? Monte 2006. Last year he also dominated Catalunya, but lost the victory due to technical problems. Interesting to see if he can beat Seb in Spain this year.

Josti
14th September 2007, 13:01
All respect to his decision. It will be a loss, and I hope it can be compensated for next year. All the best for Marcus and Timo, and let's just hope he goes out on style with a third title :up:

Corny
14th September 2007, 13:02
That's bad for us fans, but if he wants to retire then it's the right time to do it..
Thanks Marcus, and well done! (still find it hard to believe he won his first full season in WRC :p )

PuddleJumper
14th September 2007, 13:35
I am really surprised that Marcus has decided to retire at the end of this year. I honestly thought that he'd want to drive another year, especially if he is champion this year as he'd have the number 1 on his car. I guess if Marcus does win the championship this year, Mikko will be driving with the number 1 on his car in 2008.

Rally GB is an absolute must for me now this year.

Tom206wrc
14th September 2007, 13:37
Would the switch to Pirelli tyres as unique supplier have had partly an impact on Bosse's decision ??? :confused:

koko0703
14th September 2007, 13:51
It's too bad Marcus retires. But until his last day cames, it's too early to say good-bye. I hope Marcus will have successful end to his career.

J4MIE
14th September 2007, 13:58
Rally GB is an absolute must for me now this year.

Absolutely. But nobody will be able to get anywhere near him :D

Eki
14th September 2007, 14:14
I wonder if Timo Rautiainen will have more time for his musical career now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWdq6TUnS8k

mdesign
14th September 2007, 15:15
Very Sad to see gronholm leave the championship. I really hope he does not loose the will to win rallys now that he decided to retire.

turves
14th September 2007, 15:18
Best wishes to Marcus and Timo for the future, they have provided a lot of great memories for a lot of people.

Ps. WRC.com are on the ball as ever and still haven't reported this news... :laugh:

N.O.T
14th September 2007, 15:19
I hope he wins this years title !!!! Thanx for the spectacle Marcus !!!!! Its a bit sad to see him leave now but i appreciate the fact that he leaves on top form...he shows respect for himself and his fans ....

ste898
14th September 2007, 17:38
Its a sad day and I hoped he would maybe stay for another year....

But good luck Marcus

Now who does Ford get to replace him?

Mikko is a great number 2 but not a team leader......

cut the b.s.
14th September 2007, 17:47
Its a sad day and I hoped he would maybe stay for another year....

But good luck Marcus

Now who does Ford get to replace him?

Mikko is a great number 2 but not a team leader......

congratulations on your 1st calm reasoned and thoughful post, how does it feel?

Daniel
14th September 2007, 18:39
congratulations on your 1st calm reasoned and thoughful post, how does it feel?
Now there's no need for that. We should encourage Ste to post more like that rather than make fun of him for it......

Glee
14th September 2007, 19:23
I wonder if Timo Rautiainen will have more time for his musical career now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWdq6TUnS8k

For you Finnish speaking forumers:
What is this?

janneppi
14th September 2007, 19:24
A joke eki made. :)

A.F.F.
14th September 2007, 20:00
http://nettitv.mtv3.fi/uutiset/index.shtml/uutiset/uutiset/tulosruutu?108672#108672

MTV3 Rallystudio made an extra exclusive for internet. There's also thoughts from Sebastien Loeb in english if your interested.

Langdale Forest
14th September 2007, 20:09
It is bad that Gronholm is going at the end of this year but there are still 5 more events left in 2007.

Loeb will almost certainley win the championship in 2008.

What will be intresting is that there are other drivers that could win rallys like Hirvonen, Atkinson, Duval, Sordo, Latvala and Petter Solberg might win some rallys.

grugsticles
14th September 2007, 20:18
Loeb will almost certainley win the championship in 2008.

Yh, that said, the championship is actually quite interesting if you sit back and look at the rest of the field apart from Seb, Marcus and maybe Mikko. Its damn close points wise really as most drivers shine in certain areas but suffer in others.
So in a way, Im looking forward to 2008 :)

Josti
14th September 2007, 21:08
http://nettitv.mtv3.fi/uutiset/index.shtml/uutiset/uutiset/tulosruutu?108672#108672

MTV3 Rallystudio made an extra exclusive for internet. There's also thoughts from Sebastien Loeb in english if your interested.

Thanks, though a shame Loeb is so cliché in his answers (as always). But, could be the english of course.

Finni
14th September 2007, 23:13
Shame that Marcus retired. I would put little blame on Ford. They should have treated to Marcus possibility to do full 2008 season without any out-rally requirements. Marcus himself said that he has not been tired for rallying but it has been hard to find motivation to every kind of promotion events etc.

jso1985
14th September 2007, 23:31
Mikko will be driving with the number 1 on his car in 2008.

How is it in WRC?
Shouldn't Hirvonen drive the number 0 car next year if Gronholm wins this year championhip? Like Damon Hill in the 1993 and1994 F1 seasons?

sad news for the sport, as I think Loeb will have too easy next year, but also very wise decision from Marcus, the best way to retire is when you're still on top!

White Sauron
14th September 2007, 23:57

Thanks! A great way to train my finnish. IMHO, Tomi Tuominen speaks just great! I understand almost everything!)))

White Sauron
14th September 2007, 23:58
How is it in WRC?
Shouldn't Hirvonen drive the number 0 car next year if Gronholm wins this year championhip? Like Damon Hill in the 1993 and1994 F1 seasons?
!

Well, Pons and McRae drove #1 last year...

noel157
15th September 2007, 01:23
Right decision for Bosse and thanks to him we're having a great WRC season.

Next season? We could all collect some money and buy Seb a mountain bike for Christmas...................

Magnus
15th September 2007, 02:54
Although I really will miss him; he won the first rally I attended, the Swedish in 2000, I think he is making the right desicion. It may be possible to fight Loeb from time to time, but age is a bigger competitor in the long run...
But monte, and not to talk abt the Swedish rally next year... it will be a sad story...

duff
15th September 2007, 05:04
Sad news for the championship but the right decision I think.

He is a great driver, a fantastic fighter, a real personality and someone who never gives up.

IMO he is the fastest gravel driver of all time (again IMO) and he will be sorely missed.

A.F.F.
15th September 2007, 06:57
I heard through the grapevine that Timo was very much ready to retire and his opinion might have weighted when Marcus finally decided.

White Sauron
15th September 2007, 07:27
Accourding to my sources within the team, Marcus' engineer Mattias is leaving the Ford team too. And I suppose he's not the only from the technical staff to leave. It seems to me it's some kind of Schumacher effect, when people follow their leader. But if it's true and leading engineers leave the team too, it might harm Ford a bit... if not much((

Lalo
15th September 2007, 20:08
http://www.wrc.com/page/News/BreakingNewsDetail/0,,10111~1112679,00.html

Now it's confirmed :(

Thanks Marcus and Timo for all these years of exitement and great driving. We're gonna miss you guys!

What's for next season? Total Loeb's domination?

alleskids
15th September 2007, 23:24
Well, Pons and McRae drove #1 last year...

They drove Loebs car which was registerd as number 1 right from the start of the season and it could not be chaned. But Hirvonen could not start 2008 with number 1 right from the official start. He should start with 0.

Zes
17th September 2007, 06:51
They drove Loebs car which was registerd as number 1 right from the start of the season and it could not be chaned. But Hirvonen could not start 2008 with number 1 right from the official start. He should start with 0.

Isn't 0 reserved for other purposes in rallying. Or do you think Mikko is driving 0-car with orange light flashing on the roof...

Roy
17th September 2007, 08:13
I've heard the vice-champion drives with 1. So it looks like Loeb hold his number.
Maybe Hirvonen pass Loeb this year ;)

jso1985
18th September 2007, 00:39
Isn't 0 reserved for other purposes in rallying. Or do you think Mikko is driving 0-car with orange light flashing on the roof...

then Hirvonen should run with number 2 and Ford's 2nd driver with number 3 and so on... I just don't like the idea of someone getting number 1 when they haven't won it!

Or loet's just hope Loeb wins the championship ;)

DonJippo
27th September 2007, 14:56
Loeb will have to drive stages backwards next year just for a decent challenge.

Not that it really means anything but without Marcus the points this year right now would be Loeb 88, Mikko 84 ...

Brother John
27th September 2007, 15:01
Not that it really means anything but without Marcus the points this year right now would be Loeb 88, Mikko 84 ...

Well, maybe Loeb go to Ford en Citroën to Kronos! Speculations can be fun! :D

Lalo
27th September 2007, 19:05
As far as I know, it's not the runner-up champion that gets the #1 but the manufacturer champion leading driver. So... Maybe Mikko will run with that number :)

jonkka
27th September 2007, 19:20
As far as I know, it's not the runner-up champion that gets the #1 but the manufacturer champion leading driver. So... Maybe Mikko will run with that number :)

World Champion driver gets #1, his team mate gets #2 and then other team drivers get theirs in order of Manufacturers Championship. It is unprecedented that World Champion would not be around to defend his title so if Marcus wins the title and retires, FIA would be pressed to get an amendment. Current rules do not have provision for such a situation, as far I am aware.

Disclaimer: I hope that my wording "if - and" does not jinx Marcus.

cut the b.s.
27th September 2007, 22:23
World Champion driver gets #1, his team mate gets #2 and then other team drivers get theirs in order of Manufacturers Championship. It is unprecedented that World Champion would not be around to defend his title so if Marcus wins the title and retires, FIA would be pressed to get an amendment. Current rules do not have provision for such a situation, as far I am aware.

Disclaimer: I hope that my wording "if - and" does not jinx Marcus.

Unprecedented in WRC maybe, but not in motor racing, but a long way to go in this championship yet

A.F.F.
28th September 2007, 06:10
Yep. But if Marcus doesn't win the championship, I now know who to blame.

J4MIE
28th September 2007, 13:11
Yep. But if Marcus doesn't win the championship, I now know who to blame.

:D

Woodeye
11th October 2007, 16:57
Alright, now Bosse is thinking about being part-time rally ace. :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63211

Bosse: "When it comes to Monte Carlo, I might go and spectate. I would just stand at the side of the road and laugh as they are trying to decide about the tyre choice. But, when Sweden comes, maybe it's more interesting."

Quality! :laugh:

Josti
11th October 2007, 19:15
Alright, now Bosse is thinking about being part-time rally ace. :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63211

Bosse: "When it comes to Monte Carlo, I might go and spectate. I would just stand at the side of the road and laugh as they are trying to decide about the tyre choice. But, when Sweden comes, maybe it's more interesting."

Quality! :laugh:

Why not, make it purely as a hobby :D :up:

But seriously, interesting news.

SubaruNorway
11th October 2007, 23:35
would be cool if he did the finnish championship ore something

Magnus
12th October 2007, 07:46
Look at this entrylist: http://www.wrc.com/page/StageTimes/0,,10111~2001171,00.html
Aah... those were the days... Can´t helping thinking abt. that it would be quite nice if someone arranged a little nostalgia rally somewhere sometime. It would probably be very popular, allthough we would dearly miss two favourites: McRae and Burns :(

Koz
12th October 2007, 18:37
I have this feeling that if JMLis no.2 for ford next year. Tripple World Champ Mr. Gronholm will return like Carlos to win few more round :D

anncath
12th October 2007, 19:13
would be cool if he did the finnish championship ore something

And sweden (Uddeholm) also! Swedish Rally without Bosse is not the same... I´ll miss his comments ("to much snow" - "not enough snow" - "I hate asphalt")