PDA

View Full Version : Would you climb Everest?

Hazell B
12th September 2007, 22:06
Given the chance, would you take on such a challenge?

Over the weekend I was invited to a village festival (think scenes from Midsomer Murders just before the arrow/pitchfork/poisoned dart appears) and the people next to my stand had pirate gear for sale. Thinking it a bit odd that a late-fifties couple and their rather posh son were dressed as Jack Sparrow, I asked what they were raising funds for. Seems the son had been given a shot at Everest, so long as he pays his own way. The pirate costumes were their idea to make that money.

He was asked 18 months ago and leaves in 4 weeks. The cash has been raised, all bar a few hundred quid, by the village and his workmates, family and friends.

By the middle of the morning almost everyone on the festival grounds had on at least one piece of pirate costume, so I guess he's made his last few pounds easily. Even the local farm dog, who was sitting by the gates welcoming people to the show ground, had a skull and crossbones bandana on ..... and the brass band played the theme to Pirates of the Caribbean twice :p :

So, if you could raise the cash and had the skill level required, would you leave family and friends to do something like climbing a dangerous mountain?

I wouldn't. I'm too chicken :mark:

BDunnell
12th September 2007, 22:09
think scenes from Midsomer Murders just before the arrow/pitchfork/poisoned dart appears

I think of little else!

I wouldn't. I'm too chicken :mark:

Same here. Getting the required skill level is too big an 'if' for me.

GridGirl
12th September 2007, 22:49
Its odd you ask Hazel as I was reading the paper on the train on the way to work this morning and saw an advertisement for a Basecamp trek around on Everest for Scope. I'm to do a charity zipline event for them next weekend in Leeds and thought yeah, I could do Everest for them too.

Then I thought about it a little more seriously and I don't think I could afford it financially as I'd have to take unpaid time off work (sadly I dont have anyone else to pay my bills for me) and the fundraising targets are very high to which I dont think I have the time to put in the effort required to raise amounts in excess of £3000. I'm not the fastest climber either and I think I would hold the group back but I seriously would love the adventure.

I do love climbing mountain's though. I'm doing the Wainwrights in the Lake District but I'm a long way off completeing all 214 peak's and I really do want to do get round to doing the thee peaks of Yorkshire. There isn't much more satisfying than when you reach the top even if the clouds have come in and you can't see a thing. I do get a bit bored on the way down when I'm feeling tired and I've fell on flat on my butt a couple of times, or even into a bog up to my knee's like what happen when I was on my way down from my last mountain a few weeks ago but on that day when you do have an amazing view, it really is worth it.

Camelopard
12th September 2007, 23:21
I would have loved too, however I'm enough of a realist to know that I have neither the physical nor mental qualities required to have ever achieved this.

I had Altitude sickness years ago after flying into Leh and then doing too much on the first afternoon with out allowing for climitisation. It was not very nice! Leh is only 3,500 metres, under 1/2 the height of Everest.

J4MIE
12th September 2007, 23:53
If I was also given enough time to get to an appropriate level of fitness, then sure, why not? :)

stevie_gerrard
12th September 2007, 23:56
i'd definately do it with the right equipment provided, just to say that i have done it :)

jso1985
13th September 2007, 00:08
If I was also given enough time to get to an appropriate level of fitness, then sure, why not? :)

Exactly :) I'd do it if possible, both in money and fitness terms

tinchote
13th September 2007, 00:08

Maybe because of the 10% chances of dying? ;)

Camelopard
13th September 2007, 00:57

I would have thought that the risk of dying was much higher than 10%.

http://www.everestnews.com/Default.htm

is a good website, in particular read about Lincoln Hall who was left for dead after failing all tests for life, being poked in the eye etc....

http://www.everestnews.com/everest2006/everest05262006.htm

Years ago I trekked into the Annapurna Base Camp which was spectacular, if only I had taken a camera with me, this is about as close as I'll ever get doing a serious mountain climb.

J4MIE
13th September 2007, 01:00

Sometimes you have to go and do something like that to really feel alive :D

Hondo
13th September 2007, 01:32
I just don't have any interest in mountain climbing. A school days friend's Dad and former astronaut died on Everest in 1993 I believe. Karl Henize.

Dave B
13th September 2007, 09:35
I've climbed Snowdon, a long time ago. That experience was enough to make me realise my limits!

CarlMetro
13th September 2007, 09:42
Not my thing, climbing. I'm ok going up but coming back down is not good at all. I don't have a problem with heights, I used to train people to use cherry pickers capable of 72m or 225ft (for anyone who has been to British GP the big truck with the camera behind the pit grandstand) and I have no problem going up long ladders, but I get a bit wobbly when coming back down.

So, my short answer would be no thanks.

Daniel
13th September 2007, 09:52
I've climbed Snowdon, a long time ago. That experience was enough to make me realise my limits!
Hope you didn't go anywhere near Rhyl on your way there :mark:

gadjo_dilo
13th September 2007, 11:49
I could hardly climb the Carpathians, Everest would be too much. Besides, I find mountains quite boring.

martinbalmer
13th September 2007, 11:56
I climbed out of bed this morning and that seemed a big achievement at the time.. :p :

Camelopard
13th September 2007, 12:00
Well. I'm about to climb into bed and I'm looking forward to that after another soul destroying day at my place of employment!!!!

2 years and 7 months and 1 day untill retirement, but who's counting?

luvracin
13th September 2007, 17:38
IF I had the experience and skill level then I definitely would. After all, if I have the aformentioned qualities then climbing Everest would surely have been my lifelong goal.

Sleeper
13th September 2007, 20:10
No, I'm not too good with heights.

MrJan
13th September 2007, 20:45
No

NoFender
13th September 2007, 20:50
I love heights, but not that high. The whole oxygen thing is where I turn away. When you're so high up that you need bottled air, no thanks! Too much can go wrong. With my luck, everything would go wrong, and I'd survive. To be one frost bitten, brain dead, pile of crap. I'll stick to the 91st floor of the John Hancock.

Storm
13th September 2007, 21:04
Rather than would you ...it would more be a question of can you climb Mt Everest?
In my case, no...and it will take ages to get into the kind of shape necessary to climb the Himalayas.

GridGirl
13th September 2007, 21:09
Maybe Everest is a bit too much of a challenge, surely some of you wouldnt mind going up smaller mountains. :)

Storm
13th September 2007, 21:20
yes I dont mind smaller ones really :)
I have done a few of the forts in the western Sahyadri range in my state

airshifter
13th September 2007, 21:52
I have always enjoyed exploring limits. In my younger days I was one of those people that would do something just to prove the people that said I couldn't wrong.

But, I enjoy the company of my daughter far too much to be away from her doing something dangerous. If we were in need and such a task was a way to provide for them it would be a different thing, but neither case exists.

Drew
14th September 2007, 00:56
I plan to climb Ben Nevis and Scafell pike. Not really sure when I will do that, though :p :