PDA

View Full Version : Turkington joins WTCC at Brands and Macau!

Iain
12th September 2007, 08:46
Can't wait to see how he does. :D

http://colinturkington.homestead.com/News_107.html

BeansBeansBeans
12th September 2007, 09:01
Excellent news :up:

SEATFreak
12th September 2007, 09:25
Excellent news :up:

Completely agree!! :up:

I have everything that can be crossed on my body crossed. Hopefully their knowledge of Brands Hatch will be important.

How many meetings has WSR raced at Brands using both the MG and BMW?

It must be a lot.

Iain
12th September 2007, 09:29
Lots, but don't forget they've been in existance since the 1980s in F3 and have ran touring cars for Ford, Honda and MG, then the private MG and BMW efforts since 1996. :)

GP track this time round though and on the Advan tyres.

Sarah
12th September 2007, 11:03
Thanks for the news Iain. An excellent opportunity for him.

SEATFreak
12th September 2007, 11:07
Lots, but don't forget they've been in existance since the 1980s in F3 and have ran touring cars for Ford, Honda and MG, then the private MG and BMW efforts since 1996. :)

GP track this time round though and on the Advan tyres.

Yeah, Thanks Iain for that. :up:

Though I wasn't aware of their past till you said, I respect the fact they have raced far longer at the track than the times they have raced as a touring car team but I am afraid to me their time as an F3 team and their time as a BTCC team are seperate ocassions which have little or no link to each other.

Perhaps it is because you have known them as a team far longer and have a better insight. I only know them since their return season; 2001.

But based on the time I have seen them race since 2001 rom counting they have raced 13 times.

Two of the 13 was on the GP circuit. In 2002 and 2005. The first was a Bank Holiday Monday race. So it not as if that circuit at Brands will be alien to WSR. I have very high hopes for them.

btw, I thought all teams in the WTCC ran on Yokohama tyres.

Iain
12th September 2007, 13:11
They do run on Yokohamas, but they run in the WTCC under the Advan brand name, which is owned by Yokohama.

Allyc85
12th September 2007, 14:12
Great news, its a great opportunity to show what he can do. I just hope he gets the luck thats deserted him at times this year.

Captain VXR
12th September 2007, 16:33
Good luck Turks :)

VkmSpouge
12th September 2007, 18:32
It'll be great to see how Colin Turkington does against the WTCC field. I hope the lack of time on Yokohama tyres doesn't hinder the team.

SEATFreak
12th September 2007, 18:56
I hope the lack of time on Yokohama tyres doesn't hinder the team.

Shouldn't do. Remember last year it was the very car Andy Priaulx raced to title in so although the team has got little to no experience with the Yokohama tyres, the car and tyres should offer no problems and ought to work well.

Iain
12th September 2007, 19:11
They have a good relationship with the BMW engineers who help out the customer teams, so I'm sure they'll find a setup no problem. That's what was wrong in the early part of the BTCC season, the BMW engineers were here in the UK, but their data was for Advan tyres, not Dunlops and there wasn't really much that WSR could take from their expertise as a result.

Captain VXR
12th September 2007, 22:31
Shouldn't do. Remember last year it was the very car Andy Priaulx raced to title in so although the team has got little to no experience with the Yokohama tyres, the car and tyres should offer no problems and ought to work well.

I think you'll find thats Jackson's :) (no offense meant cos some people used to take the piss). I expect BMW will help with set up anyhow

Winchester
12th September 2007, 22:36
Does he have to carry any ballast as a wildcard entry?
If not I don't see any reason why he can't challenge for points although he will be up against a much higher standard of driver. It's hard to finish even in the top 14 or so, let alone 8 upwards, as many of the top drivers there have already found out.

SEATFreak
13th September 2007, 10:42
I think you'll find thats Jackson's :) (no offense meant cos some people used to take the piss). I expect BMW will help with set up anyhow

I thought it was Jacksons. I heard it somewhere ages ago. It is just when I saw this on their website when I did some research.

Doesn't really matter where. Wherever the cars came from with the news that BMW - probably RBM in particular - will aid with the setup this surely will only help massively with any increase in competitiveness next season in the BTCC. A good time to be a WSR fan methinks.

Alfa Fan
13th September 2007, 11:55
SEATFreak, you're not really in a position to correct grammar. What's been written is perfectly correct.

Iain
13th September 2007, 12:11
I thought it was Jacksons. I heard it somewhere ages ago. It is just when I saw this on their website when I did some research.

Mat Jackson bought the Andy Priaulx car of 2006 from RBM. I think that's been publicised quite clearly.

Team RAC bought two brand new BMWs from BMW Motorsport in Munich, which came in kit form and had to be assembled by the lads at WSR.
http://www.wsr-racing.com/photos/pics/FF70B.JPG

I think what's probably confused you is the part of the story referring to it being the same car that won the WTCC last year. That's correct, that model of car did win the WTCC. It's like someone buying one of the Dynamics Integras and saying "it's the championship winning car of the last two seasons". Clearly it's not as two different cars won those titles, but that particular model of car did.

Doesn't really matter where. Wherever the cars came from with the news that BMW - probably RBM in particular - will aid with the setup this surely will only help massively with any increase in competitiveness next season in the BTCC.

They will get setup help from the BMW Motorsport engineers who worked with them in the early part of the BTCC campaign. That's not RBM, or Schnitzer or ROAL. That's the actual factory engineers who designed and built the car. It won't make any difference to their competitiveness in the BTCC though, not with the tyre differences. Anyhow, WSR have been making very good progress with their own setups since mid-season.

WSRfan82
14th September 2007, 18:47
i think turks will do well me thinks

it gave me an idea or more of a thought wish they would bring back the toca shot out style race again all the touring car championship drivers from around thw world in one race. i loved it you got to see some cars you never thought you would see in race trim miss the good old day :)

any way back to this threa i do think WSR have the info to do realy well :) and best of luck to them

AndySpeed
15th September 2007, 19:51
Turkington doubts that he'll make pole. But when you consider his qualifying performance at Brands, I can't see why he won't be right up there!

It will be interesting to see how Turkington's results compare with the BTCC, as the WTCC is in general seen to be a much cleaner championship. Also it will be good to see the orange RAC liveried car amongst the normal World Touring Cars.

Daz
16th September 2007, 01:37
Really hope Colin does well. Would be nice if Colin can really prove how good he is against the WTCC drivers and get on to the podium for both races

Northern Monkey
18th September 2007, 17:02
And at Macau!!

http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=88&id=154622&news=y

Iain
18th September 2007, 20:11
Fantastic news isn't it? :D Colin's very lucky to have a Macau expert as a teammate and a team who have competed there in their F3 days.

Nice colourscheme. :cool:
http://colinturkington.homestead.com/avivaracingbmw_sml.jpg

VkmSpouge
18th September 2007, 20:31
I like the yellow colour scheme and having Duncan Huisman as his team mate at Macau should help Turkington learn the track well.

tin-top fan
19th September 2007, 00:19
Does anyone know how the points situation may work for WSR in these two rounds then? For example, if colin was to score 4 points at brands and 4 points in macau, would team RAC have 4 points and team aviva have 4 points- or would team rac/aviva have 8 points?

VkmSpouge
19th September 2007, 18:01
I'm not sure how sponsor changes would effect it to be honest. In the BTCC GR Asia have scored points in the Teams' Championship under their own name and that of Team Air Cool.

SEATFreak
20th September 2007, 09:31
Or is their one name that WSR/Team RAC/Aviva will run under?

Iain
20th September 2007, 13:11
It doesn't matter as there are only drivers and manufacturers championships.

Steelrat
23rd September 2007, 07:50
"Does anyone know how the points situation may work for WSR in these two rounds then?"

NO POINTS FOR TURKINGTON

Colin Turkington will not be eligible to score championship points in Brands Hatch.

The Team RAC BMW 320si of the Ulsterman is fitted with an X-Trac sequential gearbox and therefore it was accepted by the Touring Car Bureau on the basis of a national homologation.

This, according to article 10b of the WTCC Sporting Regulations means that the car is transparent as far as points are concerned.

http://www.fiawtcc.com/fiawtcc/brands-hatch/2007/sport_sto1321131.shtml

SEATFreak
23rd September 2007, 08:31
Iain
It doesn't matter as there are only drivers and manufacturers championships.

A team must still have a name do they not? Irrespective of whether or not theirs a Teams Championship. Or am I mistaken?

Northern Monkey
23rd September 2007, 09:30
"NO POINTS FOR TURKINGTON"

I'd suggest that makes it quite clear how the points - or lack of - will work.....

Daz
23rd September 2007, 19:36
I think Colin had a really good day at Brands today. Sure showed a few of the biggers names how good he has become now. Looking forward to see how he does at Macau.

BeansBeansBeans
23rd September 2007, 19:58
The defensive driving skills he showed whilst holding off Yvan Muller were worthy of Muller himself. Turks has always showed promise, but now he's maturing into a real top-line touring car driver. He's really bounced back from the disappointment of losing his works Vauxhall drive.

thompp
24th September 2007, 10:48
I thought CT's WTCC debut was bl**dy impressive - third in qualifying, third and fourth in the races - for a "rookie".

Dave B
24th September 2007, 13:59
Methinks somebody's eyeing up a switch to the world stage, and with a performance like that he's certainly proved he's ready.

:) :up:

cazvxr
24th September 2007, 16:25
I thought CT's WTCC debut was bl**dy impressive - third in qualifying, third and fourth in the races - for a "rookie".

Went to Brands yesterday and what a drive CT had.Fan blooming tastic!

VkmSpouge
25th September 2007, 11:21
Crash.net (http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~10~id~154897.htm) is reporting that WSR would like two run two teams, one in the BTCC and one in the WTCC next season. No surprise really. They were clearly a league above any other independent team in the WTCC. I would hope they get Aviva sponsorship in the WTCC and continue with RAC sponsorship in the BTCC (helps that they're the same company).

AlexD
25th September 2007, 12:41
Turkington's extremely fast but rather polite driving style seems to suit the flowing WTCC races much better than the argy-bargy BTCC. I can see him becoming future champ there certainly.

BDunnell
25th September 2007, 13:44
Crash.net (http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~10~id~154897.htm) is reporting that WSR would like two run two teams, one in the BTCC and one in the WTCC next season. No surprise really. They were clearly a league above any other independent team in the WTCC. I would hope they get Aviva sponsorship in the WTCC and continue with RAC sponsorship in the BTCC (helps that they're the same company).

How interesting. If that was to happen, I wonder how running independent BMWs would work in the WTCC. Would the works team be happy about being beaten by a non-works entry?

VXRDartford
25th September 2007, 16:01
How interesting. If that was to happen, I wonder how running independent BMWs would work in the WTCC. Would the works team be happy about being beaten by a non-works entry?

Considering that they have been beaten by non works BMW's for the last 2 titles i am sure they r used to it. Only the Snitzer Beemers of Jorg Muller and A. Farfus are the offical works entrys the rest even tho they are run under the banner of BMW Great Britian etc. are run by non-works teams.

I am sure they will do well just hope they do run both and not just concentrate on WTCC

VkmSpouge
25th September 2007, 17:07
The Team UK and Team Italy-Spain crews are works cars, just not as works as the Schnitzer cars.

No one would be happy to be beaten by a customer, not a whole lot they could do about it though, except perhaps deny giving the customer teams upgrades.

Winchester
25th September 2007, 18:12
Turkington's extremely fast but rather polite driving style seems to suit the flowing WTCC races much better than the argy-bargy BTCC. I can see him becoming future champ there certainly.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! I can't remember too many accidents Turks has caused in the BTCC but I can remember several where he has been taken out...

BDunnell
25th September 2007, 20:41
No one would be happy to be beaten by a customer, not a whole lot they could do about it though, except perhaps deny giving the customer teams upgrades.

Indeed. That's why I wonder whether a move into the WTCC might not be the absolute best idea for a team like WSR. For Turkington, yes, but the team?

VkmSpouge
25th September 2007, 21:11
They won't know until they try. BMW might not care if WSR beat the works teams, they clearly don't care that the full works team has been beaten by a less works, single car, Belgian squad over the past three years.

SEATFreak
26th September 2007, 10:48
The Team UK and Team Italy-Spain crews are works cars, just not as works as the Schnitzer cars.

So, does that mean ROAL and RBM are Indendent teams running factory cars and that Schnitzer is a full factory team running factory cars?

They won't know until they try. BMW might not care if WSR beat the works teams, they clearly don't care that the full works team has been beaten by a less works, single car, Belgian squad over the past three years.

Who's that?

From the excellent highlights package I recorded from last night on Channel 4 WSR certainly does have the car to be able to compete at this level. He was with the strong TDI's and the better performing RML Chevy's the whole time.

And with Duncan Huissiman they should get a bit more knowledge on how WTCC teams run.

BeansBeansBeans
26th September 2007, 11:03
Who's that?

Racing Bart Mampaey, who run Andy Priaulx under the Team GB banner.

SEATFreak
26th September 2007, 13:20
Racing Bart Mampaey, who run Andy Priaulx under the Team GB banner.

I obviously knew RBM ran as BMW Team UK but I didn't know RBM was a Belgian outfit much less an Independent one who simply ran cars for the BMW factory. I thought Schnitzer, ROAL and RBM were all full factory teams. Easy to think that when your someone like me.

It is true when they say "you learn something every day". :D

Iain
26th September 2007, 15:06
Schnitzer, ROAL and RBM are factory BMW teams who run cars that score points for BMW in the constructors championship, simple as that. They get the kits from BMW Motorsport in Munich and build them like any other independent does, except they have BMW's full financial support.

Anyway back on topic....Colin really put the cat amongst the pigeons at the weekend. He had the BMW Motorsport engineers baffled on Saturday with his pace and they were down at WSR doing a lot of headscratching! The other teams were so worried about him, that they wanted him to start the race from 9th, even if he had qualified higher than that. Eventually a compromise was found and that's how the top 9 reverse grid idea came about.

He was also fined twice for a couple of trivial offences. 250 Euros for crossing the white line at the pit exit and also for not putting the steering wheel back on the boss after the first race. You'd think Max and his mates wouldn't need a paltry sum like that after the McLaren payout.... ;)

BDunnell
26th September 2007, 16:25
He was also fined twice for a couple of trivial offences. 250 Euros for crossing the white line at the pit exit and also for not putting the steering wheel back on the boss after the first race. You'd think Max and his mates wouldn't need a paltry sum like that after the McLaren payout.... ;)

They obviously don't like strangers in the WTCC...

Dave B
26th September 2007, 17:30
It's a local series for local people :p