PDA

View Full Version : Small Glimmer of Hope for Keeping Dario

ChicagocrewIRL
12th September 2007, 07:57
"Regardless of what I do or what Sam does, the IndyCar Series, I've noticed in the last couple of years, [has had] an increase in interest from fans, from TV numbers, crowds and the track, interest from outside," Franchitti said. "I've been pleasantly surprised by that, so regardless of what any driver does, the series is bigger than any driver."

Dario Franchitti (ESPN.com IndyCar coverage AP - Sept 11, 2007)

Dario seems to be enthusiastic about the prosperity of the series and has seen good things happen this year. Who knows, even if the money in the IRL is not "NASCAR" money, it may be just enough to keep him where his heart is, and that's open wheel racing.

I hope he REALLY REALLY thinks about what he would be getting into with a 38 race schedule. But I guess, if it's true he was offered that sum, $30 million has substantial power to lure him away from open wheel.

And he is right, even if he and Sam leave, I think the Series will hurt for a little bit but there are a lot of drivers out there who could easily fill in.

Good luck Dario whatever you do. I hated you for jumping to NASCAR. Now, I don't hate you at all, even if you do. Thanks for a great season.

gm99
12th September 2007, 08:33
Well, as Dario essentially is saying that the series is strong enough to surive without him or Hornish Jr., I fail to see any signs in his statement that he is thinking about staying in the IRL. Looks more like a farewell to me, actually.

ChicagocrewIRL
12th September 2007, 14:06
Well, as Dario essentially is saying that the series is strong enough to surive without him or Hornish Jr., I fail to see any signs in his statement that he is thinking about staying in the IRL. Looks more like a farewell to me, actually.

True gm99.... now that I think about it and read it over, you're right. Oh well.

We need new blood in the Series anyway.

Bring on Hideki, Cunnigham, Lloyd, Medeiros, Allmendinger (http://autoracingsport.com/nascar/allmendinger-trying-to-make-move-to-the-irl/#more-4222)

Alexamateo
12th September 2007, 15:38
FWIW Of all the people going to NASCAR, I don't see Dario enjoying running 40 times a year. I am still not so sure this is gamesmanship and a contract ploy. I saw on another forum where a guy said it's a done deal, but it will be like this, He runs a partial schedule in Nascar, along with Indy and the IRL road races and CHip's Grand-AM stuff. That seems more to DArio's liking to me.

Old3Fan
12th September 2007, 21:22
I think Alexamateo is close to the answer. Drive for Chip in his winning GrandAm stuff, a few IRL road races and a few Nascar races for the $$$$$$$$$$$ there. Already this season the top 20 or so drivers in Nascar have won the equilavent of a total of 10+ or more the total IRL+CC winnings. Close to 75 million or so. Big time $$$$$$$$ there and that's why everyone in open wheel is looking for an opportunity to retire there if the right team gives them an offer where a win is possible once in a while.

ChicagocrewIRL
12th September 2007, 21:24
FWIW Of all the people going to NASCAR, I don't see Dario enjoying running 40 times a year. I am still not so sure this is gamesmanship and a contract ploy. I saw on another forum where a guy said it's a done deal, but it will be like this, He runs a partial schedule in Nascar, along with Indy and the IRL road races and CHip's Grand-AM stuff. That seems more to DArio's liking to me.

Good call Alexamateo....i wanna hire you as my agent :)

Chris R
13th September 2007, 15:06
I think Alex is onto something.... Ganassi and Penske are the only organizations that have the depth to do allow one driver to dabble in all of those series.... Perhaps that is what NHL and sometimes Y were going after with that funky merger (being able to provide prospective drivers with multiple series opportunities...).....

Alexamateo
13th September 2007, 15:33
Maybe we could bring back the 60's when guys like Foyt and Andretti and Parnelli would run it all, Indy, Nascar, sportscars. That'd be great!! :D :D :D

nigelred5
13th September 2007, 18:43
There's actually a few drivers dabbling in a little of everything if you look at the Grand AM and ALMS fields, but it's pretty hard for anyone with a full time ride in NASCAR to do much outside of their races, and doing a part time thing in Cup is a borderline waste of time if you want to be competetive the way things are. Full time CCWS drivers could almost run 1/2 of the season in NASCAR.

ChicagocrewIRL
13th September 2007, 20:06
Daytona 500

Mark in Oshawa
16th September 2007, 20:54
I will believe Dario is in NASCAR when he signs. I personally think he is going to do Sportscar racing, and up til this year, AGR would have had him in the car in ALMS. Now I am not so sure on how well he gets on with AGR management, but they need him more than he needs them. Dario, no matter what you do, good luck man. Always a class guy, always a racer.

AGR...to you I say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!?"