PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Oval Racing

hmmm - donuts
11th September 2007, 20:53
Right - first of all I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to be negative here - just asking a question...Over the years I've noticed from various posts/threads in this forum that there appears to be a view that the 'powers that be' would like to see oval racing fail in the UK. Is this just a perception?, or is there some genuine reason why this should be so?

Thanks

Nick Brad
11th September 2007, 21:13
Oval racing doesn't conform to the traditional view of what racing should be in this country, ironic really considering it's been here for over half a century in it's short oval form and of course, Brooklands is older than that.
Many people are very prejudiced and see it as boring and without skill, (cars just turning left, etc,) and yet they haven't actually witnessed it for themselves. Also, on paper the cars don't stack up to the BTCC, F1 and so on as technology isn't the driving force. Certain publications make the technology out to be essential in producing good racing and the average man doesn't want to be behind his peers with the latest goings on. :rolleyes:

All the people who are in positions of power in the UK motorsport industry have their own vested interests in seeing oval racing fail, (with one exception, but even he has his own agenda,) simply because if it succeeds, they are out of the loop and it sees their type of racing begin to fall short. Oval racing by it's very nature offers the public something that circuit racing can never offer and that is views of all the racing at the same time. How can circuit racing compete with that? And so, they must oval racing down or risk losing out at the gate.
Ask the BRDC what it does to help oval racing or it's drivers?

racing59
11th September 2007, 23:55
Some very valid points to debate there Nick.

They often forget that pre-WW2 Brooklands was THE place to race in England. Donington & Cadwell Park were the other two operating tarmac circuits, but nothing like the banking at Brooklands.

We then went down the road, post war, of circuit racing as we now know it.

The great circuit was destroyed when the builders moved in, and banked oval racing was "forgotten".

I feel that the worry is NASCAR will come, and take all of the money.

What money? Right now, marketing people don't see Motorsport as worthy of their cash. The only "marketing" cash that goes into motorsport is either via a manufacturer and their hangers-on, or when the marketing director/his or her son or daughter/brother's nephew/etc wants to get involved directly as a driver/team owner.

If NASCAR come, they may re-educate the marketing men to see that motorsport, especially entertaining high speed oval racing, is an excellent "vehicle" for their promotional campaign, and the drivers make great celebrities to promote everything from car parts to cornflakes.

Then, oval racing will not be dead. It will be the thing to do, as if they'd never been away, or bulldozed half or more of the great church wot is Brooklands to build houses or factories.

And do the BRDC applaud the achievements of Messrs Franchitti, Weldon, Wilson, Manning, etc.. all of whom have done their bit on US ovals, flying the flag for Blighty, and winning. Oh yes. They do. But that's "over there" "at arms length".

Rob.

JDPower
12th September 2007, 05:40
They often forget that pre-WW2 Brooklands was THE place to race in England. Donington & Cadwell Park were the other two operating tarmac circuits, but nothing like the banking at Brooklands.
A sad loss indeed:

Before: http://www.brooklands.org.uk/Originalimages/b112.jpg
After: http://blogf1.co.uk/images/Circuits/Other/Brooklands.jpg

shortb
12th September 2007, 13:25
I visited Brooklands about two weeks ago and walked to the top of the banking (which was hard work!!!), and found myself asking "what if".From what I was reading about the history of Brooklands they had an annual event called the Brooklands 500.The last race was run in 1939 but never continued after WW2 due to an aircraft hanger being built on the start/finish straight among other reasons.Would there have still been racing there today if not for the war?

wedge
12th September 2007, 13:32
Still waiting for Brit F3 to run on the ovals. Rockingham is a good place as any to learn the art of oval racing and Brit F3 is a proven championship to prepare youngsters for top-tier motorsports.

There's quite a list of ex-racers who have gone over to America and succeeded. Off the top of my head there's JPM, Dario Franchitti, Gil De Ferran, Helio Catroneves, Kenny Brack.

Nick Brad
12th September 2007, 13:46
All of them good solid English drivers as well ;)

Actually Dario is British so we can claim him, but the others sadly we can't claim too much credit for.

deadsquirrel
12th September 2007, 14:27
Errr, Justin Wilson, Dan Wheldon, Darren Manning, Nigel Mansell, Dan Clarke, Katherine Legge, Ryan Dalziel, to name a few more :)