PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to Dalby forest

sal
10th September 2007, 22:22
Not sure if many of our non Yorkshire rally fans know however the Dalby forest complex will more than likley cease to be available for rallying after the end of this year. There has been major investment in "leisure" activities such as an aerial adventure ride and numerous mountain bike trails which means the Trackrod, Malton rally and finally the RAC will more than likely see the end of rallying in this famous location. Get yourself to the Woodyard or Mikkola's bend before it's too late....

Vatanen
10th September 2007, 22:29
What a same one of the truely great forest stages in the old RAC. Mikkola bend??

AndyRAC
11th September 2007, 11:21
Bloody hell!! What a depressing start to the day, I have to be honest I'm not surprised to hear this. Maybe the venue, but I've been expecting one of the big forests to do this. Every time attending the Dukeries notice the Go Ape and the hundreds of Mountain bikes, other Rallies, especially in the Lakes seem to have these as well. Hell, I do have a Mountain bike myself so I can't really have a go at MBK riders, but it is disappointing.
Personally, as a humble speccie, I think Rallying has been shafted, well and truly; all the years of support for the FC's forests. They really must be making BIG money if they can let Rallying go like that.
Oh, one final point, what the hell have the MSA been doing, surely they knew or had an inkling about this? Hate to be negative, but with SV's going, now Dalby, what is the future for Rallying?

BDunnell
11th September 2007, 13:23
What a great shame. The run into the woodyard has to be one of the iconic sights in British rallying.

Langdale Forest
11th September 2007, 20:07
ABSOLUTLEY SHOCKING! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I will be marshalling in Langdale for the Trackrod but will probably be going to Dalby for the other 2 rallys.

The quarry was probably one of the best places in Dalby Forest to watch the cars.

sal
14th September 2007, 12:15
The only positive to potentially come out of this is that I have heard that the FC are willing to explote the possibilities of opening up other NY forestry for rallying. Lets hope this happens as such classics as Wykeham have already been permanently lost...

Langdale Forest
14th September 2007, 20:14
What was the reason for Wykeham being lost?

Broxa and Harwood Dale might also be used.

Bolton Midnight
14th September 2007, 21:54
Trackrod will still be able to use it but no other event.

Bolton Midnight
14th September 2007, 21:55
What was the reason for Wykeham being lost?

Wykeham has bits that are in effect public roads.

You used to be able to drive in and have a dick about.

Langdale Forest
15th September 2007, 08:09
When was it last run?

Do you mean the yellow public roads on the map were used?

Bolton Midnight
15th September 2007, 10:47
No I think some of the gravel roads are counted as public, bit like the Forest Drive in Keilder.

Would not be surprised if Clipstone/Sherwood Pines was next to go.

Langdale Forest
15th September 2007, 16:39
So anyone could drive down those gravel roads?
When were they last used for rallying and why could they not be closed for rallying?

Bolton Midnight
15th September 2007, 19:54
Yep the forest was open.

Don't know when they were last used, Crystal maybe.

If you were going to close a road you might as well go for a full blown tarmac closed road like they do in Europe, Ireland, Iom and Scotland.

m.lowe
23rd September 2007, 12:01
Say goodbye to Dalby forest

Goodbye Dalby
I look forward to getting the mountain bike out and riding the old classic roads

Time to move on to the other forests now and watch the cars there like Broxa, Harwood, Riccaldale, Roppa, Wass, Boltby and maybe ingleby Greenhow again

Langdale Forest
23rd September 2007, 19:45
Has anyone got any stage maps of those stages?

Bolton Midnight
23rd September 2007, 20:11
Which ones?

Some of them yes.

Langdale Forest
23rd September 2007, 21:11
The stages that m.lowe listed.

I don't need to have the maps, just want a discription of them. :)

GridGirl
23rd September 2007, 21:43
All the rally places mentioned in this thread, Dalby Forest, Grizdale and Clipstone in Sherwood now have Go Ape's in them. I guess the foresty comission can make alot more money out of Go Ape and the like than it can out of rallying.

Bolton Midnight
25th September 2007, 00:08
Forum doesn't seem to like a thumbnail link, last try

Harwood
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3779/harwoodmy5.jpg
Roppa
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/893/roppace5.jpg
Boltby
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2931/boltbypn4.jpg

Langdale Forest
25th September 2007, 07:38
Intresting, when was the Roppa stage last used?

Bolton Midnight
25th September 2007, 14:47
I think the Ripponian was last to use Roppa, bit rough nowadays by all accounts.

Langdale Forest
1st November 2009, 19:32
Roppa isn't that rough but it is a good sweeping hillside stage.