PDA

View Full Version : ITV coverage..

Osella
10th September 2007, 00:01
Apologies to anyone who does not receive the ITV (UK) coverage of F1, but I know many countries do, so here goes. .

I know this has been covered before, but I am getting a bit disappointed with the ITV coverage especially this year and how it is showing blatant favouratism towards McLaren (the poor victims...). Now, I am a Ferrari fan, and I have no doubt that the Italian coverage is almost certainly the reverse, and so it is no great surprise that ITV should show some support for Hamilton, and McLaren as a British team, however...

I thought for most of the year it was perhaps me having a massive dislike for McLaren that was clouding my judgement, but how come Hamilton is a REAL racer who was REALLY racing..and suddenly Raikkonen, now driving for Ferrari, is no longer? Yet when he drove for McLaren in previous years, Raikkonen was a REAL racer...?

They also brought out the same comments when they intimated that it was 'all Ferrari's fault' at the US GP two years ago, when the Michelin teams pulled out, and also insinuated the same over the midseason decision to check post-race tyre wear during the one set per race rules.

Similarly, also denounced the decision to strip McLaren of their points in Hungary, without asking anyone from any other teams what their thoughts were, nor broadcasting the stewards press releases verbatim, where they clearly stated that one of the major reasons for docking the team any points was because they did not believe McLaren's convoluted explanation of what happened, and felt that they team were not being honest with the race stewards..

And it is not 'unfair' on either Alonso or Hamilton to lose any points or titles if McLaren are disqualified from any races or championships. They CHOSE to drive for McLaren, therefore they get what they deserve. If anything anyone at McLaren has done leads to their disqualification from any season or race, they chose McLaren as their preferred team to drive for and must accept the consequences.
This is not a couple of drivers searching for their break into F1, or their big chance (remember that Hamilton pushed Ron Dennis for a drive when he was 10 or so, and said 'I want to drive for you' so he chose the McLaren way many years ago), so whatever happens to them as a result of driving for that team is not 'unfair' as ITV keep insisting, it is perfectly fair as that was their choice!

I also notice that years back when it was Williams or BAR vs Ferrari that the same things did not so much creep into the broadcasts. It just seems that way now it is McLaren vs Ferrari , which is why it appears so obvious now, and seemingly not solely related to them being a British-based broadcaster..

It is this between the lines insinuation which is particularly annoying, as generally anyone who reads Autosport or any specalist publications or websites can find the whole story reported, yet any casual viewer is presented with a pretty one-sided view of F1, given ITV's 'subtle' bias in their coverage.

BeansBeansBeans
10th September 2007, 00:14
I agree that ITV's coverage seems unfairly weighted towards McLaren, but I think this is likely due to the presence of Lewis Hamilton in the team.

Sleeper
10th September 2007, 00:21
I find that their coverage is very much Hamilton centric but thats to be expect as he's had a massive impact on the general publics interest in the sport. The view I get is that they do support McLaren but no more than any other team (their Ferrari piece today was rather nice).

wedge
10th September 2007, 00:54
Generally ITV try to be fair but apart from DC, ITV are biased to whoever happens to be the so called top British driver. It wasn't that long ago that we had the default 10min Button interview before every race.

Osella
10th September 2007, 01:09
Well, I know Brundle used to talk about Coulthard incessantly (something to do with being his manager...) but even with Button now they just don't care. With Damon Hill at Arrows or Jordan they rarely interviewed or mentioned him, except when he might-have-retired-but-didn't.

This year has been Hamilton-entred for sure (as has been remarked upon before on these forums). This is not a surprise, the problem is that they are not covering the spy case, or McLaren's Hungarian incidents in anything like an unbiased way. Merely a one-sided view that McLaren are being picked on and it's all nasty to poor little Lewis (and the other guy, you know, whatsisname), and that Ron Dennis doesn't deserve it all 'cos he's so old and innocent and never says a harsh word about anyone wearing red....And if people watching it don't get any other information, that's what they will believe!

Brown, Jon Brow
10th September 2007, 01:17
It's not just ITV. THe British Newspapers clearly favour McLaren.

Mikeall
10th September 2007, 02:15
I totally agree, but I'm sure that it is similar in Spain, Finland, Brazil, Italy or anywhere else.

tinchote
10th September 2007, 03:57
I totally agree, but I'm sure that it is similar in Spain, Finland, Brazil, Italy or anywhere else.

Indeed. The good thing for me is I didn't have to "suffer" it today, as I couldn't be bothered to wake up. I didn't feel like I missed a lot :s

Flat.tyres
10th September 2007, 13:28
Yet, a couple of years ago, we were moaning about Allen being stuck up Schumys rear end. ITV just align themselves with who is on top at the time. Bunch of Sycophants if you ask me.

It would be nice to hear more about the rest of the field.

dime3
10th September 2007, 13:35
It really is beyond a joke, I even e-mailed them about it, not that I got a reply! :rolleyes:

IMHO half the problem with the Lewis hype is the "professionals" going into overdrive over him and those that no nothing about the sport following suit.

What happens next year if Mclaren produce a tub? Those that don't understand will slate him for loosing it.

Flat.tyres
10th September 2007, 13:47
It really is beyond a joke, I even e-mailed them about it, not that I got a reply! :rolleyes:

IMHO half the problem with the Lewis hype is the "professionals" going into overdrive over him and those that no nothing about the sport following suit.

What happens next year if Mclaren produce a tub? Those that don't understand will slate him for loosing it.

:up:

Dave B
10th September 2007, 13:59
See also: Jenson Button.

SGWilko
10th September 2007, 15:25
Apologies to anyone who does not receive the ITV (UK) coverage of F1, but I know many countries do, so here goes. .

I thought for most of the year it was perhaps me having a massive dislike for McLaren that was clouding my judgement, but how come Hamilton is a REAL racer who was REALLY racing..and suddenly Raikkonen, now driving for Ferrari, is no longer? Yet when he drove for McLaren in previous years, Raikkonen was a REAL racer...?

I think perhaps you have to look at the season as a whole - Kimi just has not been Kimi. I feel sorry for him, but Ferrari wanted the next Schumacher, and Kimi is a great driver, but he is out the door after a race quicker that a fart in a cullender, and I don't think that has overly endeared himself to the team.

They also brought out the same comments when they intimated that it was 'all Ferrari's fault' at the US GP two years ago, when the Michelin teams pulled out, and also insinuated the same over the midseason decision to check post-race tyre wear during the one set per race rules.

Is that not the case? They were the only team against allowing a temporary chicane (which it had been suggested Ferrari could bypass), so they were just being.......spiteful?

Similarly, also denounced the decision to strip McLaren of their points in Hungary, without asking anyone from any other teams what their thoughts were, nor broadcasting the stewards press releases verbatim, where they clearly stated that one of the major reasons for docking the team any points was because they did not believe McLaren's convoluted explanation of what happened, and felt that they team were not being honest with the race stewards..

They got penalised for obstructing themselves! I think ITV polled a number of drivers who struggled to understand the logic behing the stewards decision on that one. Coulthard rightly pointed out that Ferrari obstructed Massa by not putting any fuel in his car but were not penalised similarly........

And it is not 'unfair' on either Alonso or Hamilton to lose any points or titles if McLaren are disqualified from any races or championships. They CHOSE to drive for McLaren, therefore they get what they deserve. If anything anyone at McLaren has done leads to their disqualification from any season or race, they chose McLaren as their preferred team to drive for and must accept the consequences.
This is not a couple of drivers searching for their break into F1, or their big chance (remember that Hamilton pushed Ron Dennis for a drive when he was 10 or so, and said 'I want to drive for you' so he chose the McLaren way many years ago), so whatever happens to them as a result of driving for that team is not 'unfair' as ITV keep insisting, it is perfectly fair as that was their choice!

That's a very naive and short-sighted take on the situation, don't you think? You'd be a happy bunny then if as a result of one your fellow employees actions you lost your job would you?

seppefan
10th September 2007, 16:50
Ross Brawn was shocked by the ITV coverage if you remember and said that he thought Brundle and Allen were pretty poor. Blundell is just awfull and adds nothing apart from not being to speak english. Instead of "that" he says " What " . They are producing the programme for the passing fan.

Caroline
10th September 2007, 17:10
Ross Brawn was shocked by the ITV coverage if you remember and said that he thought Brundle and Allen were pretty poor. Blundell is just awfull and adds nothing apart from not being to speak english. Instead of "that" he says " What " . They are producing the programme for the passing fan.

General consensus in our house is that Blundell is getting better (by no means perfect) and if you put his grammar aside for a moment, he actually has been talking some sense.

As the Mclaren/Hamilton bias...if you don't like it, don't watch it. The build up to the race on ITV is cringeworthy. They need a bit of balance, but I am sure that as long as Hamilton is racing as well as he is we aren't going to be seeing it. It doesn't matter who they 'feature' before the race, I used to just sit there wishing they would talk about something relevant and interesting.

seppefan
10th September 2007, 17:24
[quote="Caroline"]General consensus in our house is that Blundell is getting better (by no means perfect) and if you put his grammar aside for a moment, he actually has been talking some sense.

quote]

Re Blundell I will reluctantly agree thast the content is slightly improving but bring on Peter Windsor or similar.

Bezza
10th September 2007, 19:58
The main problem with ITV is the bloody adverts. We had one after 10 minutes, and another after another 10 minutes. Thats even more often than during Coronation Street.

Yet, during football matches, we get 45 minutes between adverts. :s

And most annoyingly, during the ridiculously extended "build-up" they go 20 minutes without adverts!!!!

As for the rest:

Allen: Better than he used to be
Brundle: Good
Rider: Good
Blundell: Passable
Goodman: A Joke
Kravitz: Passable

Biased? Yes. Severely. But can't expect any less.

Please please please BBC get the rights back!

CarlMetro
10th September 2007, 21:42
As the Mclaren/Hamilton bias...if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Which is unfortunately what many more people are doing. I for one watch less and less these days, prefering to record the race and then skip through the first hour until the cars are on the warmup lap, then skip through the adverts.

It wasn't that long ago that I wouldn't miss the qualifying live, let alone the race but I still haven't seen yesterdays race and didn't bother with the qualifying on Saturday at all.

On the plus side I would rather have the coverage from ITV than the coverage that some of our other members get.

Viktory
10th September 2007, 22:50
Yet, during football matches, we get 45 minutes between adverts. :s

This is very annoying in my opinion. But I don\t think we have as many advert breaks in Sweden as you do, but still many more than in a football match
I will be moving to England in 10 days so I will be able to make a comparisson to the Swedish commentators when I have seen the Shanghai coverage.