PDA

View Full Version : Dario To Cup W/Chip

sanguin
8th September 2007, 17:47
Chip Ganassi Racing is expected to announce next week that Dario Franchitti will drive the No. 40 Energizer Dodge in 2008, sources told FOXSports.com.
Franchitti, 34, who won the 2007 Indianapolis 500 with Andretti-Green, currently leads CGR driver Scott Dixon by three points in the Indy Racing League Series with the season finale scheduled for this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway.
Franchitti will participate in a training program similar to the one Juan Pablo Montoya (who beat Franchitti for the 1999 CART title) used to prepare for his rookie season. Franchitti will drive in a variety of series, including NASCAR's Busch Series in Ganassi's No. 42 Dodge.

David Stremme currently drives the No. 40 CGR car and is 23rd in the NASCAR point standings. Stremme showed concern as early as May that the option year on his contract would not be picked up. After Stremme's sponsor Coors did not renew its contract, the writing was on the wall for the 30-year-old South Bend, Ind. native.

"The thing that sucks is that it's really late to be looking — because it's the end of September," Stremme said. "But as of last Friday, I'm a free agent. So, I don't have nothing right now.

"I won't be back in the 40 car, but obviously (Ganassi Racing) wants to put together a fourth team."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7202934?MSNHPHMA

courageous
8th September 2007, 22:05
Apparantly Dario has just (as in during the past couple of hours) confirmed this himself in a TV interview over in the states according to a mate who is over there.

sanguin
9th September 2007, 00:19
I wonder how Wheldon must feel about this. He wanted Chip to put him in NASCAR,but Chip made him stay in the IRL for Honda.

Now Chip puts Dario in,ouch ,that's gotta hurt.

Komahawk
9th September 2007, 10:02
Yea, that's a slap in Wheldon's face. Hey, will this increase the chances of Herta returning to AGR's ICS team?

Quetch
9th September 2007, 10:27
Yea, that's a slap in Wheldon's face. Hey, will this increase the chances of Herta returning to AGR's ICS team?

Or Wheldon returning to AGR. Because if ganassi puts Dario to NASCAR Dan may not be happy about that.

nigelred5
9th September 2007, 16:21
Honestly, Dario is pretty well known in the US, both due to his tenures in CART/IRL and his marriage to Ashley Judd. Personally, I think he's a better driver as well. I also think he is much more marktable in NASCAR than ol Dannyboy which is a big consideration to NASCAR sponsors that actually do involve the teams and drivers in their ad campaigns. Dario is approachable and likeable, neither characteristic I find in Wheldon. Chipster knows how to pick drivers, now he just needs to find some horsepower.

45 Below
10th September 2007, 06:09
After two flips this season I think Dario wants something with a roof.

Komahawk
10th September 2007, 10:24
Dario and Montoya in the same team? Hm. I wish Dario good luck, but I'm also quite disappointed seeing him leave.

nigelred5
10th September 2007, 13:51
I suspect Chipster will also probably be the next team to jump over to Toyota in Nextel Cup. He's never far from the head of the Yen train.

Maddog
10th September 2007, 17:53
After two flips this season I think Dario wants something with a roof.

Now that's funny!!! Good one.

sanguin
10th September 2007, 18:03
I just read Oreovicz's article about Dario and he says look for Danica to go to nascar in 2009-

link- http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=3010653

Look for Danica Patrick to make the move in 2009. If she wins Sunday's IndyCar Series finale, Patrick might have run her last open-wheel race.

She didn't win, so she will be back for 2008 at least.