PDA

View Full Version : A canvass of opinion...

Browser
8th September 2007, 11:08
New to this forum and looking for inspiration. I've got about £12k tops to spend on a car (rather spend around £8k) and i'm after suggestions from the car buff fraternity...

I've got a hankering for a 2 seater - i'm after a low to the ground, beaming smile experience... so the following are in my sights...

Honda 2000 - about to test drive one of these tomorrow - look nice
MR2 - girls car? Didn't drive like one - loved it, but the boot space is pathetic
Z3 - like the countours but the drive in the only one i've tried was really clunky - don't know if that's typical
Z4 - don't like them, dunno why
Lotus - again, don't really like the look of them
MX5 - now i know they're probably considered female (?) but i love the drive
MG(F) - ex girlfriend had one - i'm ruling these out.

Grateful for any thoughts/recommendations on the above... or perhaps alternatives...

:D

Dave B
8th September 2007, 12:57
Welcome :)

From the list you've posted I'd go for the MX5. A little girly, maybe, but IMO the best handling-vs-price ratio.

Daniel
8th September 2007, 13:07
MX5's are proper sports cars :)

Robinho
8th September 2007, 13:21
MX5's good, although the new model not supposed to be as god as the older ones, personally i'd go for an S2000 (that engine) or an Elise/Vauxhall VX220 derivative

jim mcglinchey
8th September 2007, 13:39
My dad bought an MX5 recently and he's well pleased.....he's 75 by the way and he just about got insurance for it.

BeansBeansBeans
8th September 2007, 14:22
I'd also go for the MX5 - Fantastic to drive and cheap / low-maintenance.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th September 2007, 18:12
MX-5 is the best current British sports car.

Daniel
8th September 2007, 19:26
I find it amazing that someone who has one post on our forum trusts us to give opinions :p We could have a policy of posting disimformation to people with 1 post ;) :p

BeansBeansBeans
8th September 2007, 22:39
We could have a policy of posting disimformation to people with 1 post :p

That's a great idea actually.

Here mate, go for the MGF. It's a real no brainer.

Browser
9th September 2007, 11:58
Hmm... you fellas wouldn't be amusing yourselves by getting me to buy a girls car would you...?? :p :

Zico
9th September 2007, 18:28
The old Classic Lotus Elan.. One of the best handling sportscars ever and can only apreciate in value..

Modern.. yep, the old shape Mx5.. (New model isnt as good aparently).
bit low in grunt but pefectly balanced chassis, I read on a forum somewhere of someone dropping the lightweight rottary engine from an Rx-8 in one.. The ultimate mx5?

S2000, Screaming V-tec, look good in a ricey sort of way, Honda reliability, good 6 speed box, only thing that lets it down is the low torque and peaky characteristcs of the Engine, cant have it both ways though..

Lotus Elise, very good little car but overhyped and base models underpowered.

The Mr2 is actually pretty good too if you can live with the image..

VX220, never driven one, meant to be pretty good, basically an Elise chassis with aquired taste styling..

Z3 or Z4.. Nope dont like them atall..

MGF.. Yuk!

Mx-5 or S2000.. hmmm difficult one.

Malbec
9th September 2007, 21:04
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want to impress the neighbours get a Z4. If you think fun is measured in terms of opposite lock moments go for the MX5, I reckon the Mk1 is the most enjoyable.

The S2000 is a great car if you live with loads of A-roads close by where you can get the revs above 5k on a regular basis. Around town it won't seem quite as good. Loti are fine, I agree that the original Elan is the best. The VX220 is longer wheelbase and otherwise pretty much identical but cheaper because of the badge, have a look.

Don't dismiss cars because people call them girls' cars, they usually don't know what they're talking about and wouldn't understand the concept of a car being fun to drive.

Daniel
9th September 2007, 21:27
Dylan speaks the truth. You could do a lot worse than to read his post a few times over.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th September 2007, 21:49
I'd personally go for the S2000 because of the engine and because they look more muscular than an MX-5. Isn't the MX-5 regarded as the Japanese Lotus Elan?

MR2's are ugly as are Z3's and Z4's

What about a Boxter?

Browser
9th September 2007, 22:49
A boxter is a bit beyond me money wise i'm afraid.

Cheers guys - to be honest i had dismissed the MX5 because i just couldn't be arsed with the hassle of deflecting the girl car tag. But i've driven one quite a bit recently (the old dear has one) and it's such a good crack that i'm really starting to think stuff it...

Should be just in time for the winter... :angel:

Malbec
9th September 2007, 23:08
Should be just in time for the winter... :angel:

Great, just in time for the prices to drop for the winter! Excellent time to grab a bargain.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th September 2007, 23:26

You can get a them for around 10k. They will be 6 or so years old but don't Porsche's last for ever?

CarlMetro
10th September 2007, 00:42

No more so than an S2000 but both would be a bit past their sell-by date and either high-millage or a bit knackered.

It would be another vote for the MX-5 from me too, by far the best fun-to-money ratio you could find in your price range. Twice now I've been really close to buying one but circumstances have changed to stop me doing so.

For your £12k you could get a 12 month old MX-5 or a 10 year old S2000/Boxter or Z series BMW.

I know which I'd choose...........

Rollo
11th September 2007, 00:50
Any of the CCs are reasonable and relatively cheap motoring. They being:
206cc, 307cc, Astra Twin Top, Tigra Twin Top, Focus CC, EOS, Megane CC.

Hell even:
Sport Ka, Micra C+C and Colt CZC all fall into that category.

All of the above's CC devices are built by one company. Personally of any of the above I'd get the Tigra simply because it's the least likely to be stolen.

Woodeye
11th September 2007, 06:47
MX-5 is the best current British sports car.

Mazda MX-5 a British sport car? MAZDA - British? Mazda? :mark:

Daniel
11th September 2007, 08:02
Yes :) It has the soul of a British sports car :)

Kneeslider
11th September 2007, 10:37
I had a similar dilemma nearly two years ago. I looked at a lot of cars, and had about £13k to spend. Was very tempted by an Elise, but was put off by the pitiful lack of luggage space. If Mrs Kneeslider and I wanted to go away for a weekend, I could stash more luggage into a pair of motorcycle panniers! Some might argue (and with good reason) that this isn't the point of the car, but I need at least some practicality.

Looked at a few SLK Mercedes, but trying to find a manual is tricky, and the interior is a bit bling. Ever since the three pointed star has been owned by the Daimler Chrysler group, the designs have been leaning a bit too far towards the American market.

So in the end I bought a '97 Boxster with 50k miles, on Ebay, with a hard top, full service history, full leather, traction control, 17 in wheels (originals were 16s) and a new set of Pirellis for £250 over what Parker's price guide claimed was the trade in value.

I am thoroughly happy with it, and everyone thinks that I spent way more than I did on it. It hasn't been flawless though, a door locking mechanism was £150 (with a VW Audi badge on, Grrrr! ) and the plastic rear screen needed replacement (£200 from a coach trimmer) but the worst was a gummed up idle air control valve on the airbox, which led to no idling, and cost quite a bit of time to fix, along with two lambda sensors. I think that these last two problems were as a result of the previous owner driving it for 3 years from his house to the railway station (about 3 miles total). Since I have been driving it on much longer runs these issues haven't recurred, and the rest of it seems to last forever. I am still way ahead of the game compared to buying from the trade, and very many £££s better off than if I bought it from a Porsche centre. Have a look at one, and take it for a drive. I even get 35mpg at 70 on the motorway from the 2.5.

CharlieJ
22nd September 2007, 22:02
You can get a very nice, restored and updated Triumph TR4, 5 or 6 for £12k.

Now that's a REAL sports car!