PDA

View Full Version : Autosport Show News

Captain VXR
27th December 2006, 12:00
Post any BTCC/WTCC related stuff which will be at Autosport this January.
Vauxhall will unveill a Vectra BTCC car (old news)
Any others? :confused:

tyreman2
27th December 2006, 12:50
Adam Jones is aiming to make an announcement at the show if a few financial loose ends can be sorted in time

Captain VXR
27th December 2006, 17:30
Now that is another reason to spend my spare £85 on going :up:

tdb
28th December 2006, 00:13
I worry about you Captain VXR!! you have been posting and starting threads all over christmas!
Stop guessing, speculating and fantasizing and spend your "spare £85" on a bit more social interaction with REAL people!!

tin-top fan
28th December 2006, 00:49
I've just been looking on the autosport show website, and there you can get a list of the exhibitors at the show. Notable attendees include:

Team RAC
Vauxhall
Seat UK
Rimstock (for which read Team Halfords/Dynamics)
Dunlop
RML (Possibly chevrolet WTCC stand.....)

Neil Adams
3rd January 2007, 15:23
just did the same thing tin top fan,

one addition possibly is Team Farecla

m0rk
4th January 2007, 18:52
I've just been looking on the autosport show website, and there you can get a list of the exhibitors at the show. Notable attendees include:
Rimstock (for which read Team Halfords/Dynamics)

No, Rimstock do actually sell wheels too - unlikely they have the budget for a large stand to stick a BMW (or whatever....) on it

Normally Matt is on that stand working though

Neil Adams
4th January 2007, 19:28
rimstock and team dynamics are one and the same, no?

stand wasnt huge last year, but they still had a car on it

LiamM
4th January 2007, 19:58
Aren't Team Dynamics wheels owned by Steve, whereas Rimstock is owned by Matt

m0rk
5th January 2007, 18:33
No idea, but they're at the show to sell wheels normally.

martinbalmer
9th January 2007, 22:11
Aren't Team Dynamics wheels owned by Steve, whereas Rimstock is owned by Matt

The web site puts it best...

"The Rimstock Plc Group of companies is a worldwide organisation supplying high quality products to a global customer base. Its manufacturing facilities operate from four purpose built production installations extending to 150,000ft2, all of which are located in the West Midlands area in the industrial heartland of Great Britain."

"Most notably known for its two leading aftermarket alloy wheel brands ‘Team Dynamics’ and ‘100+’, distributing via its loyal customer base in over 40 countries worldwide. It is also approved by and supplies to, a host of the leading vehicle manufacturers."

Les
10th January 2007, 14:21
Nick Leason is helping out on the Showtrax stand if anyone interested

Alfa Fan
10th January 2007, 14:30
A name that hasn't been heard much in the off-season bull****. Is he still doing BTCC next year with Daniels?

Les
10th January 2007, 21:19
sure hopes to

Ian McC
10th January 2007, 22:17
off-season bull****

Is it just me or is there a lot more of it this year?

Ur not a salmon
10th January 2007, 22:28
A name that hasn't been heard much in the off-season bull****.

I find it ironic that 1 of the main instigators of the bull**** is complainging about it. :rotflmao:

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 00:42
Err, could you show me an example of that please?

tyreman2
11th January 2007, 01:37
Adam Jones will be on the Dunlop stand Friday afternoon and Sunday morning

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 01:40
Any idea if he will be announcing anything?

tyreman2
11th January 2007, 07:41
Any idea if he will be announcing anything?

I don't think so,He has 3 options for the season,depending on raising the money needed.

cos
11th January 2007, 10:40
Here's the Vectra:
http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~FIRST-PICS--VX-Racing-Vectra-~cid~10~id~141868.htm

(thanks PDS!)

cpearson
11th January 2007, 10:49
looks great, front kinda dwarfs the wheels but still an attractive car.

I suspect this is just a show car tho as it still has the single nut BTC hub/wheel setup whereas the S2000 cars must have standard hub configuration ie 5 stud.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th January 2007, 10:53
Does the rear wing on the Vectra look more like the BTC-spec ones than S2000. The wing looks too big!!

I'm looking forward to seeing Team RAC's BMW's :)

CroftPilgrim
11th January 2007, 11:21
Here's the Vectra:
http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~FIRST-PICS--VX-Racing-Vectra-~cid~10~id~141868.htm

(thanks PDS!)

That's better. Looks far more like a racer than the Astra Sport Hatch did!

LiamM
11th January 2007, 11:22
Does the rear wing on the Vectra look more like the BTC-spec ones than S2000. The wing looks too big!!

I'm looking forward to seeing Team RAC's BMW's :)

Theres a small photo of it in the rumours thread

Jona
11th January 2007, 13:31
Looks like a BTC-Spec wing to me. Perhaps this is the showcar that was at the show a few years ago, albeit updated livery, headlights, before the real thing hits the track.

BTCC2
11th January 2007, 17:59
Will there be anymore announcements tomorrow or is that it? There were a lot more annoncements last year but I can't remember if they were all on Day 1.

smiley_opc
11th January 2007, 18:22
Looks like a BTC-Spec wing to me. Perhaps this is the showcar that was at the show a few years ago, albeit updated livery, headlights, before the real thing hits the track.
that car was a saloon, this is the 5 doors vectra !!

Jona
11th January 2007, 19:11

Yeah, but it still has a BTC- Spec wing on it! Strange

Les
11th January 2007, 20:27
there was a hell of a lot of 'well I hope to be racing in (insert name of series/car here) but I have still got some money to find'.
The works/paid drivers have all been announced - the rest will be biggest cheque gets it (and that can be up to 1/2 million pds!!).
Still way too early for most of them but there was a gorgeous collection of suits, shirts and ties on parade.

reidy_fan
11th January 2007, 21:03
Les, any gossip regarding the seat cupras as there has been nothing on Seat's website

Captain VXR
11th January 2007, 21:33
Here's the Vectra:

(thanks PDS!)

Excellant :s mokin:
PDS, do you have wallpaper sized pictures of it? I would be very grateful :up:

PDS
11th January 2007, 23:41

Sorry.. Wrong!

It was a Hatchback.. http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/2004britain/vauxhallvectrabtcc_02.jpg

The car is that one 'updated' to look like the new racer.. Personally, I think the old car looked better.

Captain VXR. Send me your e-mail address for the wall paper.

msport-images
11th January 2007, 23:53
Hi all , after months and months of not being around , my 1st outing was today at the NEC and it was a very enjoyable show ... plenty of stuff kicking around .... and

this..

http://www.geocities.com/spoogle_2000/vxr1.jpg

Captain , if you havent already got the piccy give me a mail , ill get one to you wallpaper size
cheers

msport-images
12th January 2007, 00:18
Hi all , after months and months of not being around , my 1st outing was today at the NEC and it was a very enjoyable show ... plenty of stuff kicking around .... and

this..

Captain , if you havent already got the piccy give me a mail , ill get one to you wallpaper size
cheers

http://motorsport-images.com/vxr1.jpg

re post due to band width issues

smiley_opc
12th January 2007, 07:17
Sorry.. Wrong!

It was a Hatchback.. http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/2004britain/vauxhallvectrabtcc_02.jpg

The car is that one 'updated' to look like the new racer.. Personally, I think the old car looked better.

Captain VXR. Send me your e-mail address for the wall paper.no its not a 5 doors (gts) its just the 4 doors.. !! if you look right you can see it, look at the doors en at the thrunk !!

ADnet
12th January 2007, 16:48
There's lots of new photo's of the team RAC BMW at http://www.teamrac.com/
They're like proper media style ones, look really class.

The car on display at this years autosport is a 5 door hatch. Last years was a 4 door saloon. Guess we'll have to wait til media day to see how the vauxhall actually looks with s2000 wheels & wings.

PDS
12th January 2007, 18:39
no its not a 5 doors (gts) its just the 4 doors.. !! if you look right you can see it, look at the doors en at the thrunk !!

I've done some investigating... Believe this if you will!

The car on show IS the car they showed two years ago! Then it was a 4-door saloon representing a diesel car. Since then, they have 'converted it to a 5 door hatchback' by, of all things, replacing the roof and rear quarters to be able to fit a tailgate!
The front end is still the same apart from the grille, which has been fitted with the later version!

Obviously they have left the BTC spec axles and wheels on it.

ADnet
12th January 2007, 19:38
interesting.. a lot of effort to make a show car... shouldnt they be focussing it on being ready to challenge seat? lol

reidy_fan
12th January 2007, 20:50
looks like VXR have hooked britan's worst tabloid toilet paper (the sun) as a sponsor, will provide a good target for any other car to aim at.

any liverpool FC fan will know why I hate that particular rag

Captain VXR
12th January 2007, 21:47
They sponsored VXR this year...

Captain VXR
12th January 2007, 22:25
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1524/
On Top Gear now :D

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 23:29
ten year old Tom Chilton :laugh: :laugh:

Did clarkson write that

ADnet
13th January 2007, 03:14
I love the quote from that article:
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1524/

"When they arrive at what they think is right, they build it into the car and we keep our fingers crossed that it actually works."

Think they may have done that last year... lol

tyreman2
13th January 2007, 17:46
bearing in mind that this is a RUMOURS thread,here are a few things i heard yesterday at the show.

Mat Jackson has bought a S2000 spec car to race in 2007 run by his family team
Jason Hughes has NOT purchased any S2000 spec cars (maybe he has the ex WSR MG's)
Griffin will run Pinkney and Marsh
Adam Jones picked up a sponsor at the show, but no decision has been made to what he will race next year
It is not a definate that Mark Smith will race the Alfa next year
The Jessop sponsorship is small fry at the moment but the team are hoping that the show publicity will lead to greater things
Porsche Torque who run the car for Mark Smith are hoping to appear mid-season with an Alfa 156 for Darrell Wilson sponsored in part by B'Ham Band
UB40
WTCC independent champions GR Asia are considering a 2 car team for 2007

LiamM
13th January 2007, 18:10
Jason Hughes has NOT purchased any S2000 spec cars (maybe he has the ex WSR MG's)

There is a small bit in MN that says Hughes is only considering S2000 cars, and details will be releaved later this month

Alfa Fan
13th January 2007, 20:12
There is a small bit in MN that says Hughes is only considering S2000 cars, and details will be releaved later this month

And other people on this forum have said he has Super 2000 specification cars. I'm pretty certain we'll see him in an S2000 car in 2007, and MN thinks that it will be a SEAT.

LiamM
13th January 2007, 20:19
And other people on this forum have said he has Super 2000 specification cars. I'm pretty certain we'll see him in an S2000 car in 2007, and MN thinks that it will be a SEAT.

Think back (was it last year) Jason was supposed to have bought the old Maurer MG ZSs but the deal fell through at the last minute. Might just be that Jason hasn't signed on the dotted line or something like that

Les
13th January 2007, 22:55
darell wilson is one quick young pedaller in the VW Cup but a tad erractic at times

tyreman2
14th January 2007, 02:30
Apologies guys I put that in the wrong thread.But they are rumours from the show so i might get away with it. a bit more on the Jason Hughes thing that may narrow it down a bit.He hasn't bought Seat according to connections with Barcelona

tdb
14th January 2007, 02:46
Griffin will run Pinkney and Marsh

Dissapointing news!
2 fantastic cars about to be engineered backwards then!

lets see if they can kill a top car quicker than GSR?

tdb
14th January 2007, 02:48
Adam Jones picked up a sponsor at the show, but no decision has been made to what he will race next year

Hmmmmmmm????????????????

TCP!!!!

parabolic
14th January 2007, 11:23
[quote="tdb"]Dissapointing news!
[quote]

I think you will find when the deal is made public, it will include the sevices of Italian engineers! so you might want to retract an illfounded, illinformed, uneducated opinon!

tdb
14th January 2007, 11:57
an illfounded, illinformed, uneducated opinon!

Obviously!
The 307 performed SO well didn't it!!!!

parabolic
14th January 2007, 12:06
Obviously!

When did it ever? VLR could never get the back end to work! - but a good power plant would be a good step forward.

not realy the same as a 156!

Funks
14th January 2007, 12:09
To cut some slack, Mr Marsh did say recently that the 307 was only an interim project so that they could show potential sponsors what the BTCC was all about. Having to quit because they ran out of functioning engines wasn't too neat though.
Good luck to them if they are embarking on this new project. :up:

reidy_fan
14th January 2007, 12:16
lets be honest here the words Julian Griffin and success dont often appear together

SEATFreak
14th January 2007, 13:34

What cars would they run? Leon's? They run them in the WTCC and GR Asia ran/run certainly Leon's in the European Touring Car Cup. And if so would they have help from SEAT?

Alfa Fan
14th January 2007, 13:41
They would be SEAT Leons.

dwracing23
14th January 2007, 14:21
They would be SEAT Leons.

No they wont as Seat wont let anyone run Leons in the UK! I would expect it to be a couple of Toledo's, very competitve when they ran in the WTCC and Seat UK ran them very well aswell in the first year of the BTCC.

Radders
14th January 2007, 14:30
The GR news is interesting. They are a smart operation, I wonder if this is th team that it supposed to be running with sponsorship from the AA?

SEAT not letting anyone run Leons in the UK is also interesting - I'm entirely sure the extent to which that is true, but could explain why all the WTCC are national entries (SEAT ITALIA etc), even GR Asia were backed by SEAT Holland, not quite sure how that works with being an Independant last year. I dunno but they would be a welcomed team onto the grid for '07. Wonder what Mr Ridgeway has up his sleeve?

Alfa Fan
14th January 2007, 14:37
I find it surprising that SEAT don't let teams use Leons in the UK. I would of thought it would have been more a case of there being few/no teams that can afford to run Leons?

Alfa Fan
14th January 2007, 14:38
SEAT Sport Italia ran privately funded SEAT Leons in the Italian Touring Car Championship in 2006 I believe?

Radders
14th January 2007, 14:45
To be honest I'm not sure, but it would appear as though there was involvement from SEAT Italy's National Importer (to give the team the SEAT Sport Italia name), rather than Mario's Spaghetti shop (private funding) for example.

dwracing23
14th January 2007, 15:37
The GR news is interesting. They are a smart operation, I wonder if this is th team that it supposed to be running with sponsorship from the AA?

SEAT not letting anyone run Leons in the UK is also interesting - I'm entirely sure the extent to which that is true,

No it is not the team running with AA - this has been discussed before - this is Team Griffin Marsh/Pinkney.

I can assure you that Seat Sport will not any teams run the Leon as I am led to believe a certain Mr Bennetts wanted to run a pair of Leons but was turned away!

I think we might have a shock when the GR team arrives on the grid in April! A couple of highly rated drivers from the BTCC 2006 grid will appear in the cars.

tin-top fan
14th January 2007, 15:54
I would guess at Adam Jones for one of the drives, but haven't got a clue as to who the other one could be...

SEATFreak
14th January 2007, 16:15
Would buying up Roberto Colciagio's WTCC SEAT Sport Italia Toledo be a possibility if it were ever to be put up for sale aswell as the remaining Toledo's that were not bought by Motorbase?

It wouldn't be many to choose from (perhaps only two in Plato's 2005 car and Huff's 2004 car), as I am sure two of the three Motorbase have is Pickford's and Hines' 2005 cars, but it would be enough as only two are eligible to score points.

LiamM
14th January 2007, 16:28
Would buying up Roberto Colciagio's WTCC SEAT Sport Italia Toledo be a possibility if it were ever to be put up for sale aswell as the remaining Toledo's that were not bought by Motorbase?

Answered your own question there! Yes if its for sale anyone can buy it!

Radders
14th January 2007, 16:44
I think we might have a shock when the GR team arrives on the grid in April! A couple of highly rated drivers from the BTCC 2006 grid will appear in the cars.

Please not Gavin Smith - I bet you it is aswell! Is Shedden already contracted to Halfords? And Collard I put my money on. Smith and Collard. Why do we play this game?! I may as well list the out of contract drivers from the 06' grid...

LiamM
14th January 2007, 17:15
Well they'll have to bring money, and as ever those with the bigger wallets win, the only people I realistically see is being in with this rumour is

Gavin Smith
Rob Collard
Adam Jones
James Kaye (if he sticks in the BTCC and doesn't follow Syncho)

I can see it being Smith and & Collard, although if this is true and depending on budget is can see Jones in a WSR BMW - it'd be nice anyway! But I'm about to be told im wrong............

IS STILL A RUMOUR THO

SEATFreak
14th January 2007, 17:19
Is GR Asia even certain to come next year?

tdb
14th January 2007, 17:25

It wouldn't be many to choose from (perhaps only two in Plato's 2005 car and Huff's 2004 car), as I am sure two of the three Motorbase have is Pickford's and Hines' 2005 cars, but it would be enough as only two are eligible to score points.

As GR already have 05/06 Toledo's, it would be highly unlikely for them to buy some from elsewhere!

VkmSpouge
14th January 2007, 17:47

If GR were to enter, I kind of hope we find out who would drive for them before April as qualifying at Brands Hatch is on March 31st :p :

Captain VXR
14th January 2007, 19:28
Cool, GR Asia. Were they called GR Motorsport in 2001 running production Ford Focuses or is that someone else

Alfa Fan
14th January 2007, 19:37
Sort of. GR Motorsport went into recievership in 2002/3, and was reborn as GR Asia in 2004.

Paul Ridgway is/was behind both teams.

cookingfat
14th January 2007, 20:08
I would guess at Adam Jones for one of the drives, but haven't got a clue as to who the other one could be...

I expect Adam Jones to be in one of the GR Asia Toledo's!
Gavin Smith is one of the favorites at WSR. Perhaps Team Ireland!
Interesting to see that Howell is expected to be announced at Motorbase, but no mention of Ferrier?
The Pinkney/ Marsh team, even with the inclusion of Julian Griffin as team manager, should not be dismissed out-of-hand, with or without AA backing!

BDunnell
14th January 2007, 20:13
Porsche Torque who run the car for Mark Smith are hoping to appear mid-season with an Alfa 156 for Darrell Wilson sponsored in part by B'Ham Band UB40

For the trivia fans amongst us, if this happens, it wouldn't be the first time UB40 has sponsored a motorsport team. They backed a Nissan 240RS rally car in about 1987, driven by band member Robin Campbell - it was featured on Top Gear, with Campbell being interviewed by Chris Goffey in something of a surreal moment for the show.

BDunnell
14th January 2007, 20:16
SEAT not letting anyone run Leons in the UK is also interesting - I'm entirely sure the extent to which that is true, but could explain why all the WTCC are national entries (SEAT ITALIA etc), even GR Asia were backed by SEAT Holland, not quite sure how that works with being an Independant last year.

It cut little ice with the FIA, who ended up banning the team and Tom Coronel from running as independents in the 2007 WTCC.

tisme
14th January 2007, 20:17
Have I missed something here guys?

It went from this!

To this!!!

I missed the part that confirms they are entering the 2007 BTCC!

Alfa Fan
14th January 2007, 20:17
I'd be disappointed not to see Ferrier at Motorbase again in 2007. He did a good job at Silverstone and is a quick driver.

If Coronel is not allowed to enter the Independent divison of the WTCC, and has little chance in the WTCC overall (realistically), do you think he would be interested in switching to the BTCC?

cos
14th January 2007, 20:29
If Coronel is not allowed to enter the Independent divison of the WTCC, and has little chance in the WTCC overall (realistically), do you think he would be interested in switching to the BTCC?

Coronel looks likely to be an official SEAT WTCC driver this year. He also presents the WTCC coverage in the Netherlands so moving to another series wouldn't make much sense.

tyreman2
14th January 2007, 23:31
For the trivia fans amongst us, if this happens, it wouldn't be the first time UB40 has sponsored a motorsport team. They backed a Nissan 240RS rally car in about 1987, driven by band member Robin Campbell - it was featured on Top Gear, with Campbell being interviewed by Chris Goffey in something of a surreal moment for the show.

Sorry to correct you BDunnell,Adam Jones had sponsorship from UB40 during his F3 days in France,check out pics on his web site (early days) you can just pick out UB40 logo on front wing.His Brother Gavin had support from fellow Brummie band Ocean Colour Scene in Formula Renault (in 1998 i think)

Rover V8
15th January 2007, 00:21
The Nissan belonged to the late James Prochowski-

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/9B/05/13324699-c07f-00A000F0-.jpg

I think Robin Campbell might have co-driven for him on an RAC Rally or similar at some time?

I think the UB40 sponsorship was associated with him for several years- he drove an MG ZT in the Britcar 24 hours in 2005 which carried UB40 logos

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icbirmingham/sep2005/0/8/000B4A09-600F-1321-AD180C01AC1BF814.jpg

tyreman2
15th January 2007, 06:56
The Nissan belonged to the late James Prochowski-

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/9B/05/13324699-c07f-00A000F0-.jpg

I think Robin Campbell might have co-driven for him on an RAC Rally or similar at some time?

I think the UB40 sponsorship was associated with him for several years- he drove an MG ZT in the Britcar 24 hours in 2005 which carried UB40 logos

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icbirmingham/sep2005/0/8/000B4A09-600F-1321-AD180C01AC1BF814.jpg

You right Rover V8 James was the link with UB40,He was a friend of Adam's Uncle and helped find sponsorship for Adam to do French F3,another link is that Porsche Torque a.k.a. In Front ran the MG at the Britcar,The car is currently at Cirtek's workshop who co-incidently had Adam in their Porsche's
2001-2005.

BDunnell
15th January 2007, 14:08
Thanks for the extra UB40 sponsorship information and corrected details! Very interesting.

jeremywhitmore
15th January 2007, 21:04
Think Paul Ridgeway acted as Team Manager for Collard Racing in 2003/4. Also think he ran Mat Jackson and Gareth Howell at some point. Top engineer imo.

PDS
15th January 2007, 21:13
Think Paul Ridgeway acted as Team Manager for Collard Racing in 2003/4. Also think he ran Mat Jackson and Gareth Howell at some point. Top engineer imo.

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum!

Will we be seeing the Whitmore's stickers on any cars this year?

LiamM
15th January 2007, 21:14
Mat Jackson and Gareth Howell both ran in the production-spec Foci run by GR Motorsport and hence Paul Rigdeway

jeremywhitmore
15th January 2007, 21:20
Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum!

Will we be seeing the Whitmore's stickers on any cars this year?
Currently work in progress. Will still look to provide support of some kind to Rob and or WSR. Watch for news later in Jan.

PDS
15th January 2007, 21:27
Glad to hear it!

It will be good to see you carrying on supporting Rob!

VkmSpouge
15th January 2007, 23:57
Mat Jackson and Gareth Howell both ran in the production-spec Foci run by GR Motorsport and hence Paul Rigdeway

Very good jobs they did too, Jackson finished 4th and Howell 5th in the Production Class that year. I believe Gordon Shedden also raced in a GR Motorsport Focus in 2001 with a one-off appearance at Knockhill.

Scuderia ferrari
16th January 2007, 09:39
Love the new BMW for turks, looks very nice, so i'll be chearing RAC on this year!

Alfabeta2
16th January 2007, 22:04
Well they'll have to bring money, and as ever those with the bigger wallets win, the only people I realistically see is being in with this rumour is

Gavin Smith
Rob Collard
Adam Jones
James Kaye (if he sticks in the BTCC and doesn't follow Syncho)

I can see it being Smith and & Collard, although if this is true and depending on budget is can see Jones in a WSR BMW - it'd be nice anyway! But I'm about to be told im wrong............

IS STILL A RUMOUR THO

James Kaye does not have Have a big Wallet from what I can gather it is his very poor financial situation which has resulted in Synchro departing from touring cars

Alfabeta2
16th January 2007, 22:13
Dissapointing news!

lets see if they can kill a top car quicker than GSR?

Obviously!

where as Xero were the pinicle of Automotive Engineering in 2006 and dominated the btcc :rolleyes: