PDA

View Full Version : Stremme Out at Ganassi; Franchitti In?

Jonesi
7th September 2007, 23:01
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nextel/nascar/40070/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7201250

jslone
8th September 2007, 03:06
I could be in the wrong here but I do not think it will happen.First is the Sponsorship,with Coors out who will Chip bring in,for thatr matter well it be from Dario?Second is that if Dario wins the title this year he will want to defend the title next year and that will take up to much of his time to do Cup.

RaceFanStan
8th September 2007, 04:04
I think Dario Franchitti's personality would be a welcome addition to NASCAR. :D :up:
I hope Dario makes the move, he is one of my favorites no matter what series he races in. :D :up:

dwboogityfan
8th September 2007, 19:40
In my opinion Ganassi already has a better IRL driver driving for him than Franchitti in Dan Wheldon.
I think Wheldon should run a partial schedule in the #40, as well as the IRL, next year possibly alongside a veteran driver - possibly Sterling Marlin returning to the team he had a great deal of success with. A Wheldon/Marlin team would IMO be better than Franchitti. Wheldon could then go full time in 2009.

BenRoethig
8th September 2007, 20:45
In my opinion Ganassi already has a better IRL driver driving for him than Franchitti in Dan Wheldon.
I think Wheldon should run a partial schedule in the #40, as well as the IRL, next year possibly alongside a veteran driver - possibly Sterling Marlin returning to the team he had a great deal of success with. A Wheldon/Marlin team would IMO be better than Franchitti. Wheldon could then go full time in 2009.

I agree. Plus Wheldon is young and has time to learn. He would also be a better fit if the 40 becomes the white Target car full time. A guy like Dario doesn't deserve to be a back marker.

ms0362
8th September 2007, 22:11
Wahoo! Ashley Judd in the pits! I gotta get me a garage pass!

Speedworx
8th September 2007, 22:57
Ganassi chose not to comment on speculation that open-wheel star Dario Franchitti would replace Stremme. Sources close to the team say a deal is in the works to bring Franchitti, winner of the 2007 Indianapolis 500, to NASCAR. Ganassi, though, said he's still actively seeking sponsorship for Stremme. "I was talking about another deal [for] him not an hour ago," Ganassi said

IF Stremme goes the #40 won't be around. No sponsor = no ride for anyone.

djarumdudley
9th September 2007, 00:08
maybe Ganassi's attempt at bring Dario Franchitti to Nascar is a brilliant strategy. what better way for Ganassi to win an IRL title next year by luring one of his biggest competitors away from the Indy Cars. also Franchitti would have nothing left to prove in Indy Cars if he takes the championship. a title and an Indy 500 victory seems like a great way to exit the IRL.

call_me_andrew
9th September 2007, 04:48
I didn't think Franchitti would go to NASCAR. It's not like he needs the money.

Mark in Oshawa
9th September 2007, 07:22
I think Dario is being polite. I don't think he has any serious interest in NASCAR. First off, if he wins a championship in the IRL, he has climbed the mountain and maybe will decide to step back and just have fun. That means ALMS. Second of all, it is wishful thinking, and I am sure Ganassi is tempting to him, but I think Chip will will maybe also put Wheldon in there for some testing because of the age thing. I just think Ashley will maybe not be a fan of 40 plus weekends tied up with being at the races. It is one thing in the IRL, their series ends in September and doesn't start til March, but it is another to run a NASCAR sched. I think Dario wont want that much, Ashley will object to that much, and until this year, Dario used to complain about too many ovals. Well, he wont see less in NASCAR. I bet he tried some one off events, runs Sportscars in ALMS and returns to Indy in a one off to win another 500. THAT oval, he likes....

Bobby_Hamlin
9th September 2007, 15:22
I get the impression this is something that has been in the works for quite a while now so I think there's every chance it's genuine.

I know a lot of observers have been suggesting Franchitti might prefer to ease off into ALMS or wherever - but maybe, just maybe he's not got the same idea about retirement. He may just be looking for a new challenge and NASCAR would certainly be that.

Osella
10th September 2007, 01:22
"No sponsor = no ride for anyone"
But as seen with Jeff Burton vs Carl Edwards, sometimes a driver will interest a sponsor, when another one doesn't..
If you go to a company and say, 'we've got this fat kid who's good at running 22nd', against saying 'we've got the guy who's won the Indy 500, AND is married to a Hollywood actress AND just won the Indycar championship (Hey, what would you call it if you were trying to get somebody to sponsor your racecar! ;) ) AND has a market presence in Europe, Canada and the US', which do you think is going to get the sponsor's interest...?

Also, although he may be trying to get himself a better deal with AGR, he didn't deny the rumours when asked about them...

Lee Roy
10th September 2007, 14:36
With Franchitti, Hornish, Montoya and Villeneuve all in NASCAR next year, there may be more former Indy 500 winners in the 600 mile race at Charlotte than there will be in the Indy 500 that same day.

Vez
27th October 2007, 12:38
Sounds like Stremme could be going to the Nationwide Series and drive for RWI according to Jayski

Stremme to Nationwide Series with RWI? Hearing David Stremme will drive a part time Nationwide Series schedule for Rusty Wallace Inc in 2008, splitting time with rookie Chase Austin.(10-25-2007)
UPDATE: Expect an announcement Sunday in Atlanta that David Stremme will run a 20-race schedule of Nationwide Series races next season for Rusty Wallace, Inc. Sources close to the team tell Sirius Speedway that Stremme will split the schedule with youngster Chase Austin, running all the companion events with the Sprint Cup Series. Stremme is still rumored to be in the running for the handful of rides still open on the Cup side for 2008, as well.(Motorsports Soapbox)(10-26-2007)

tstran17_88
31st October 2007, 18:01
Eh...just another name (Franchitti) for Rusty to butcher. :rolleyes: :D