PDA

View Full Version : And.................What about Pro-drive??

Valve Bounce
7th September 2007, 03:18
In all this confusion about McLaren and what will happen, what about Pro-drive? Will they be the only team racing McLarens next year, and will a certain driver be available?

The thought plickens. :confused:

tinchote
7th September 2007, 03:21
In all this confusion about McLaren and what will happen, what about Pro-drive? Will they be the only team racing McLarens next year, and will a certain driver be available?

The thought plickens. :confused:

They will run in 2008 with an F2007, courtesy of Mike Coughlan ;) :p :

Hawkmoon
7th September 2007, 04:14
I've just worked it out!

The FIA's new evidence came from David Richards! He hopes that he can get McLaren banned for 2008 and then Prodrive will be the defacto Mercedes works team next year.

They'll get all the resources of Mercedes and McLaren behind them and will get Hamilton to drive for them.

I can see Richards cunning plan now. Get McLaren banned, waltz in an pick up the pieces, win the championship at the first attempt and sell the team for a huge profit!

He's a crafty bugger, that Richards.

:D

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 11:42
This is certainly detracting from the energies Pro-drive and McLaren need to be expending to get this sealed.

I thought the announcement would come at Monza (good place for it ;) ) but possibly it may be postponed while current difficulties are resolved by the FIA.

7th September 2007, 13:41
If it all goes tits up for Mclaren, then I would not be surprised to see Pro-Drive running cars straight out of woking for a year, with sponsors, crew and drivers who look suspiciously like the ones who have been seen in the Mclaren garages this year.

If, and obviously it is only an 'if' at present, Mclaren were to be banned, then it would only be the Mclaren entry to the FIA World Championship that would be prevented from running in 2008. The FIA could not prevent Pro-Drive being named as the entrant, even though they aren't.

You see, Flat Tyres, there is an example of how a legal loop-hole could benefit Mclaren.

Not so bad now, these legal loop-holes, are they?

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 15:50
If it all goes tits up for Mclaren, then I would not be surprised to see Pro-Drive running cars straight out of woking for a year, with sponsors, crew and drivers who look suspiciously like the ones who have been seen in the Mclaren garages this year.

If, and obviously it is only an 'if' at present, Mclaren were to be banned, then it would only be the Mclaren entry to the FIA World Championship that would be prevented from running in 2008. The FIA could not prevent Pro-Drive being named as the entrant, even though they aren't.

You see, Flat Tyres, there is an example of how a legal loop-hole could benefit Mclaren.

Not so bad now, these legal loop-holes, are they?

I cannot see McLaren being barrd from next years event but you never know. IF they get a sanction (guilt or any new evidence is still very circumspect as yet) then it will probably just apply to this year.

However, I would hate to see any team penalised in this manner. It would be different if this was an organised and coheasive attempt by McLaren as a company to benefit but as it is, it still centers around the illegal activities of a Ferrari and McLaren employee.

You can be sure though that if McLaren are excluded next year, they will not be allowed to fudge it in the manner you suggest. How many attempts do you think it will take the new ProDrive car to pass crash testing. How many consecutive pit stops will they be brought into be weighed and scruiteneered :D

trumperZ06
7th September 2007, 16:06
;) Pro-Drive should be on the grid with 2008 McLarens (may be re-named Mercedes) next year.

I don't see where Richards is involved in any espionage.

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 16:31
I don't see where Richards is involved in any espionage.

Give Fousto a big Cigar and a Bottle of something resembling moonshine and he's have a cast iron case and hanging Judge assembled within 30 minutes.

jens
8th September 2007, 18:05
Has anyone thought about that, that if McLaren gets banned, then both Hamilton and Alonso might drive for Prodrive in 2008? It would be a good option for them and also they won't have to drive an unfamiliar car. Also Prodrive will get full support and newest updates from McLaren-Mercedes if the latter combination won't be allowed to race. All that would be a lot better for FA than going to Renault or who-knows-where, where he won't get top car package. Also I guess he would have better relationship with Richards than with Dennis. And Hamilton... Well, unless he somehow gets into Ferrari for 2008, Prodrive would be clearly the best option for him too.

In that case 2008 title contenders would be Ferrari, BMW and Prodrive. :D

PSfan
9th September 2007, 00:09
Sorry if I'm a little confused here, why in the world would FIA bar the Mcleran team from 08?

However this may have a very negative impact on Pro-drive none the less... I suspect that should McLeran be dq's from the 07 results then they would forfit a whole lot of prize and TV money that they would have received for this season. I doubt it would be a significant impact on McLeran's budget for 08, but in order to supply 2 teams with chassis' and engines, I assumed Mcleran would have to expand their facilities to meet the demand, however if they lose out on all that money, maybe they won't have the finacial resources to be capable of supplying 2 teams? Maybe prodrive might have to buy the Arrows chassis' from Aguri and run those for a year :p :

ClarkFan
9th September 2007, 03:40
I've just worked it out!

The FIA's new evidence came from David Richards! He hopes that he can get McLaren banned for 2008 and then Prodrive will be the defacto Mercedes works team next year.

He's a crafty bugger, that Richards.

:D

Just a random thought here, but what is Aston Martin going to do for engines in their road cars? They are currently using Jaguar/Ford engines, but with Aston splitting away and Ford selling Jaguar, perhaps Richards would find a deal with Mercedes attractive. This could operate on multiple levels.

And has Prodrive anounced their official team name yet. I would think that if they anticipate success, they would be interested in getting the F1 "halo" for Aston. Makes a nice story line too - "Aston Martin returns to F1 after being away since 1959."

ClarkFan

AndyRAC
9th September 2007, 20:42
While I can't see McLaren getting banned there is a precedent. In 1996 Toyota Team Europe were banned from the WRC for basically running an oversized engine. Toyota the car company were not banned, so other companies could run Toyotas. So, if McLaren were banned what is to stop Prodrive running the 2008 McLaren and hiring some of their top staff?