PDA

View Full Version : F1 Qualifying on ITV4

jonny hurlock
5th September 2007, 21:26
Warning to all F1 Qualifying is not on ITV1 because the rugbys on New Zealand V Italy (New Zealand going to win that match) its on ITV4, I would might call that Belgium Quali will be on ITV4 next week aswell

as a fan, would I be paranold about it, last few Quali will be intresting to watch, and I doult Bernie will be happy niether?

I'm thank for Freeview

jonny hurlock
5th September 2007, 21:28
sorry link:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40518

Bezza
6th September 2007, 00:03
What a load of crap. More people watch F1 than Rugby, I can assure you! Its not even proper rugby its just a game of "Pile On!!!"

ChrisS
6th September 2007, 00:16
What a load of crap. More people watch F1 than Rugby, I can assure you! Its not even proper rugby its just a game of "Pile On!!!"

its not proper qualifying either, its just a waste of time and fuel for 50 minutes before drivers actually try to put qualifying times in the final 5 minutes ;)

but thats another story

Dave B
6th September 2007, 14:58
What's the big deal? If you haven't gone digital already you'll have to do so at some point in the next few years. It's so dirt cheap nowadays that there's not really much of an excuse - unless you're in the fraction of a percent of the UK which can't get Freeview, cable and satellite.

ITV4 have shown a decent committment to motorsport recently, with extended BTCC coverage for starters. If it means that qualifying can be shown without having to rush of to Coronation Street or a repeat or X-Factor the second the session is over, then I'm all for it.

Daniel
6th September 2007, 15:19
Yes but this is the Rugby WORLD CUP and it's displacing F1 QUALIFYING. A lot of people who watch F1 don't feel that they NEED to watch Qualifying to appreciate the race. I could argue that football isn't proper football and it's just a game of "ooh you hurt my leg a little I'm going to fall over and pretend I'm mortally wounded" but I respect the fact that other people enjoy that sport. Perhaps you should respect the views of a lot of people who will want to see proper rugby being played at a world class level in the biggest tournament Rugby Union has.

Daniel
6th September 2007, 15:21
What's the big deal? If you haven't gone digital already you'll have to do so at some point in the next few years. It's so dirt cheap nowadays that there's not really much of an excuse - unless you're in the fraction of a percent of the UK which can't get Freeview, cable and satellite.

ITV4 have shown a decent committment to motorsport recently, with extended BTCC coverage for starters. If it means that qualifying can be shown without having to rush of to Coronation Street or a repeat or X-Factor the second the session is over, then I'm all for it.
You forgot to add that you WILL have to go digital soon so there's not need to be a stick in the mud and not have a freeview box or a sky box or cable. :rolleyes: Mountains and molehills!

Alfa Fan
6th September 2007, 16:09
For once I'm agreeing with Daniel, shut up complaining and go and get a freeview box for £20!

outofshape
7th September 2007, 00:00
For once I'm agreeing with Daniel, shut up complaining and go and get a freeview box for £20!

Currently around 40% of UK does not have a strong enough signal to be able to receive Freeview. About the same percentage live in areas that have not been cabled.

Iain
7th September 2007, 00:05
Count yourself lucky that it's only a qualifying session that's been moved. The whole BTCC season is dictated by whatever other sports that ITV cover (especially F1), hence there was a 6 week gap last summer for football and a 6 week gap now for the rugby.

Daniel
7th September 2007, 00:59
Count yourself lucky that it's only a qualifying session that's been moved. The whole BTCC season is dictated by whatever other sports that ITV cover (especially F1), hence there was a 6 week gap last summer for football and a 6 week gap now for the rugby.
But to be fair the BTCC is a 2nd rate championship when you compare it to the 90's when it was getting good coverage and was being screened internationally. If and when the BTCC starts to look more like a 1st rate motorsport then the coverage will come. But when they ballast guys for being fast and use a wheel to choose the grid for the race then people start to wonder if this is just a feeder series or if this is the real thing.

BDunnell
7th September 2007, 01:04
But to be fair the BTCC is a 2nd rate championship when you compare it to the 90's when it was getting good coverage and was being screened internationally. If and when the BTCC starts to look more like a 1st rate motorsport then the coverage will come. But when they ballast guys for being fast and use a wheel to choose the grid for the race then people start to wonder if this is just a feeder series or if this is the real thing.

Don't quite know what it's supposed to be a feeder series for, but never mind. It is true that TV schedulers have an unenviable job when it comes to deciding on the merits of one sporting event over another, and their decisions will always annoy a lot of people.

Daniel
7th September 2007, 01:12
Currently around 40% of UK does not have a strong enough signal to be able to receive Freeview. About the same percentage live in areas that have not been cabled.
Well I think that figure is more like 25-30% plus if you can't get freeview you probably will be able to in future or like Caroline's friends who couldn't get freeview, didn't want to pay for Sky but had a Sky box you can get a viewing card for http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/ for very little and get a lot of channels for no monthly subscription fee. Sky covers 98% or so of the UK population so your argument holds no water.

Cable is by and large irrelevant because most cabled areas are in fairly central areas which will most probably have at least Freeview or Sky reception.

There will always be some people who can't get it and that's simply tough luck :mark:

Daniel
7th September 2007, 01:20
Don't quite know what it's supposed to be a feeder series for, but never mind. It is true that TV schedulers have an unenviable job when it comes to deciding on the merits of one sporting event over another, and their decisions will always annoy a lot of people.
Seeing successful drivers getting ballasted for being good, seeing a spinning wheel used to chose grid positions just makes the BTCC look silly and juvenile. They could easily have a long qualifying on Saturday for Race 1, a superpole on Sunday morning for race 2 and some sort of combination of race 1 and 2 results to determine the grid for race 3. But we sadly don't as we've got a fricking spinning wheel :crazy: So I guess my point was that it gives off the impression that it isn't the pinacle of tin-top racing in the UK ;) The BTCC used to be world famous and got a lot of worldwide viewing as now it doesn't.

stevie_gerrard
7th September 2007, 17:59
it's a good thing im at work anyway :p :

Mark
7th September 2007, 18:14
Go to the touring cars forum if you want to talk about touring cars.

Iain
7th September 2007, 19:19
Yeah, kinda missed my point there Daniel. :rolleyes:

Daniel
7th September 2007, 19:32
Yeah, kinda missed my point there Daniel. :rolleyes:
and you missed mine but anyway ;)