PDA

View Full Version : Possible Guest Series for next year?

deadsquirrel
5th September 2007, 13:31
http://www.circuit-zandvoort.nl/autosport/raceklassen/

Check out the BRL V6 (the pic shows a BRL V6, but there are also V6 lights which is Focus based). These guys are very entertaining (having seen them at Assen over the weekend) and there's LOTS of them. I'm sure they'd be interested in running at Rockingham (maybe the 'old' Pickup layout of turns 1 and 2, followed by the 'shortcut' between 3 and 4 rather than the oval) - may have to make the suggestion....

Oh, and I'd like ChampCar back too, on the oval, if anyone's granting wishes! :-)

SteveA
5th September 2007, 14:29
ChampCar don't do ovals anymore, our best hope is IndyCar.

deadsquirrel
5th September 2007, 15:35
ChampCar don't do ovals anymore
I know, but I was wishing! :)

our best hope is IndyCar.
hmmm....

car20
5th September 2007, 21:24
either will do for me :) oh i can only dream

racing59
5th September 2007, 22:18
We don't need another "Saloon" series, we need a "spindley" series. I've said it before - something along the lines of Formula Atlantic, a bog standard 200ish horse V6, which will be more than quick enough, and sound nice.

shortb
5th September 2007, 22:23
I would settle for F3 on the oval for now but I know the forum has been down this road before!

Nick Brad
5th September 2007, 22:47
How about having a team operate the single seater experience cars on a race hire basis to get a 3rd series on the oval? West Tec would be ideal for this purpose and they get to be the big daddies in the pool so no worries there. ;)

Henry Cutts
5th September 2007, 22:54
ChampCar don't do ovals anymore, our best hope is IndyCar.

Things can never be that bad, cant we have Champ Car on the road Course.

wends
7th September 2007, 17:11
A couple of years ago the pickups run part oval then part infield to turn 3, the legends did the same.
I guess a full oval lap for the legends would be to much flat chat all the way round.........nice to dream, legends fantastic series ....proberly be 4 wide...wow.

Reynard
7th September 2007, 17:54
A couple of years ago the pickups run part oval then part infield to turn 3, the legends did the same.
I guess a full oval lap for the legends would be to much flat chat all the way round.........nice to dream, legends fantastic series ....proberly be 4 wide...wow.

I have this vision of their engines going *pop* if they tried doing that... :eek:

Nick Brad
7th September 2007, 18:15
Nah, restrictor plates and longer gearing, they could do it no sweat. :D

Abo
8th September 2007, 09:14
I would settle for F3 on the oval for now but I know the forum has been down this road before!

How about inviting the German F3's over to play, on a SCSA/Pickup weekend? They go to Assen so maybe they could be inspired to come here, if they're keen on oval racing? I'd watch it.

racing59
8th September 2007, 23:35
How about inviting the German F3's over to play, on a SCSA/Pickup weekend? They go to Assen so maybe they could be inspired to come here, if they're keen on oval racing? I'd watch it.

The German F3 cars are the same as the British F3 cars, it's just a will to do it!!

Now Club F3 has lost it's permit too - perhaps a word in their ears along those lines (come here and run on the oval mateys!) might be worth it?

Or will old F3 cars just evolve into more Monoposto machines ( and why not I say ! )

JDPower
9th September 2007, 00:05
The German F3 cars are the same as the British F3 cars, it's just a will to do it!!
Indeed but the Brit F3s don't have the will, the German F3 guys do. And if they came over and did it they could open it up to guest entries from Brit F3. Could end up with a grid of 30+ F3 cars on the oval :D

car20
9th September 2007, 19:21
How about having a team operate the single seater experience cars on a race hire basis to get a 3rd series on the oval? West Tec would be ideal for this purpose and they get to be the big daddies in the pool so no worries there

I would be up for that :) I think i have more time around rockingham in the single seaters on an experience day than rob has the whole of this season ;) (only kidding) ;)

hmmm - donuts
11th September 2007, 20:41
I agree it would be good to have pointy cars on the oval. Also, how about the Baby Grands? I go to the Rock to see racing on the oval, but with the weather having been a tad on the damp side this year there has not been so much oval racing - guess it had to happen one year. I believe that the Baby Grands, like the Pickups, can run the oval in the wet. I'm guessing that the oval experience cars can't - anybody know?

Regards

PTR Office
12th September 2007, 11:41
Does the BRL Light look familiar? It has same SHP chassis as the T Cars

deadsquirrel
12th September 2007, 12:02
Does the BRL Light look familiar? It has same SHP chassis as the T Cars
I only saw the V6 'in the nude', but I'm not surprised of their origin!

Now we know there's an 'in' to the series, how about getting them on the infield course at some point in '08 (and bring the Dutch Supercars with them, they could stay on after having been at Silverstone!)

Nick Brad
12th September 2007, 12:13
There'll no doubt be some other SHP machines at rockingham this weekend in the guise of national Hot Rods.
Whilst on the subject of T-Cars, maybe we should look at some form of junior series on the oval, it's the newest market it seems in circuit racing with Ginettas and Saxos getting in on the act. Surely Sonny could come up with something capable of racing on the oval and circuits for the 12-17 year old age bracket. It could then tour with the pickups and be a natural feeder series.

deadsquirrel
12th September 2007, 12:32
There'll no doubt be some other SHP machines at rockingham this weekend in the guise of national Hot Rods.
Whilst on the subject of T-Cars, maybe we should look at some form of junior series on the oval, it's the newest market it seems in circuit racing with Ginettas and Saxos getting in on the act. Surely Sonny could come up with something capable of racing on the oval and circuits for the 12-17 year old age bracket. It could then tour with the pickups and be a natural feeder series.
If you've ever seen Ministox (non-contact versions) - they're crazy on a 1/4 track, never mind Rockingham. Nooooo thankyou.

T-Cars would fit the 'profile' of our meetings, but I think they also struggle for numbers... Maybe they should guest a couple of times a year.

Nick Brad
12th September 2007, 12:52
Ministox isn't quite what I had in mind, lol.
What's the deal with the T-Cars chassis wise? Would they pass safety certification for the oval and also would it possible to set them up for the oval?

Abo
12th September 2007, 13:14
Ministox isn't quite what I had in mind, lol.
What's the deal with the T-Cars chassis wise? Would they pass safety certification for the oval and also would it possible to set them up for the oval?

Right hand drive :(

Nick Brad
12th September 2007, 13:43
Modfications ala pickups I say. ;)

pickup
12th September 2007, 15:54
Don't forget the MSA would have to sanction any new series running on the oval, can't see them being to keen on 12-17 year olds running on a 1.5 mile speedway.
As for T-cars i'm surprised they haven't been issued the yellow card due to the low numbers racing and not really surprising considering the costs for a "juniors formula".
As has been mentioned i would like to see a single seater formula on the oval something along the lines of F3 would be good along with SCSA/pickups, might also bring along some extra supporters from the circuits.

deadsquirrel
12th September 2007, 16:31
As has been mentioned i would like to see a single seater formula on the oval something along the lines of F3 would be good along with SCSA/pickups, might also bring along some extra supporters from the circuits.

Fiesta's with wings maybe? [I'll get me coat!]

I'd like to see an oval singleseat series run regularly too - although their repair costs are going to be high with all that concrete..

I'd like to see the infield racing more closely match the SCSA/PuT 'image', along the lines of Thundersaloons, the LMA Modifieds, Ford Saloons, BRL, Supercars, Jags etc, 'old' BTCC cars (I'm sure I've seen lots of these out in some series I can't remember), maybe invite the 'Irish' over - St Patrick's weekend maybe?

acorn
12th September 2007, 19:07
As for T-cars i'm surprised they haven't been issued the yellow card due to the low numbers racing and not really surprising considering the costs for a "juniors formula".

circuit owners having offspring in the series might(or might not) be influencing the decision.

Abo
12th September 2007, 19:17
circuit owners having offspring in the series might(or might not) be influencing the decision.

I didn't want to mention that...

Chigley
12th September 2007, 19:21
T cars have a MSA championship permit as they are sanctioned to run with a restricted entry level, something like 12? maybe. Any entries above that are turned away.

MGH
12th September 2007, 20:15
Why have the Camso V8's not been invited, I suspect that the reason is politics and licences?
I understand that they were pretty impressive at Lydden last weekend!

Abo
12th September 2007, 20:16
T cars have a MSA championship permit as they are sanctioned to run with a restricted entry level, something like 12? maybe. Any entries above that are turned away.

Trust you to shatter a good conspiricy theory ;) :p

Nick Brad
12th September 2007, 22:41
Why have the Camso V8's not been invited, I suspect that the reason is politics and licences?

Bingo. I'd love to see them racing with us at Rockingham, but sadly I don't think it will ever happen.

acorn
13th September 2007, 12:16
I understand that they were pretty impressive at Lydden last weekend!

they are quick (quicker than an ascar(which wasn't geared correctly) at mallory iirc) but then again they are 450kg lighter and that could be a problem at rockingham, would they stand a 175mph hit into a concrete wall?. they just aren't built the same as an asa car.

deadsquirrel
13th September 2007, 13:37
they are quick (quicker than an ascar(which wasn't geared correctly) at mallory iirc) but then again they are 450kg lighter and that could be a problem at rockingham, would they stand a 175mph hit into a concrete wall?. they just aren't built the same as an asa car.

also suffer with low car numbers and the ones I've seen seem to drop a lot of oil....

Roland Vanderme
13th September 2007, 15:49
We know that deadsquirrel is not a big fan of the Camso V8, because 2 years ago, after the same Lydden Hill meeting he wrote "Camso V8, forget it".
Unfortunately for him, a lot of spectators found the Camso V8 at Lydden Hill even more spectacular than the National Hot Rods.
There were 9 cars at Lydden Hill. This year, we had regulary 13 cars with a possible maximum of 16 cars, which is not that bad on the 0,4 mile oval of Warneton! And for next year the interest of possible new drivers is very high and we could have 18 or 20 cars if everyone is there. So, short of cars ????
For Lydden Hill, three drivers were not interested, one had a broken engine, one had professional committments, one received a one year ban for speeding in the pits and the last one seems to have stopped with the Camso V8 formula.

"the cars lost a lot of oil".
Deadsquirrel is the only person which saw the cars losing oil, during racing. There was indeed some oil spilled in the pits, when some drivers changed their gearing for Lydden Hill (Winters quick change differential) in the morning.

Now to the question: Can the Camso V8 race at Rockingham?
a/ the Camso V8 cars are faster than the SCSA cars, as they have nearly the same horsepower, but they weight 450kg (I think around 900lbs) less
b/ The Camso V8 chassis are built for ovals till 1 mile (maximum speed 220km/h). So they are not safe enough to race at Rockingham
c/ Camso V8 and Warneton Speedway have nothing to do with FIA, MSA or other federation.
d/ Camso V8 do not have a 4 speed gear box, but only have 2 gears (1 to start the car till 30mph and a direct 2nd gear for racing). So from 30mph till 175mph in one gear: impossible
e/ Camso V8 drivers will never pay 1.000£ to have the possibility to race at Rockingham.

deadsquirrel
13th September 2007, 16:17
We know that deadsquirrel is not a big fan of the Camso V8, because 2 years ago, after the same Lydden Hill meeting he wrote "Camso V8, forget it".
Unfortunately for him, a lot of spectators found the Camso V8 at Lydden Hill even more spectacular than the National Hot Rods.

No, I'm not a big fan, but neither am I against them. I don't think they belong on the full oval at Rockingham - they run at places such as Warneton and I wish them well there or other short ovals.

When I saw the Lydden event (1 or 2 years ago!), the National Hot Rods weren't running (IIRC). The CAMSO's do sound nice (V8's always do!) too. You had 9 cars this year at Lydden, I think 8 last year; so on that basis, you're short of cars, I've never seen the rest; if you have more that race on the continent, good for you.

Roland Vanderme
13th September 2007, 17:29
Three (or was it four years ?) ago, I was invited by Rockingham at a June Days of Thunder meeting.
I had a long talk with Gerald Denotto from Indeck, one of the companys of Gerald Forsythe and at that moment, I think, one of the key men of Rockingham.
At that moment the number of cars and spectators were declining after the brillant start in 2001 - 2002.
He asked me to make an analysis of the situation and I sendet a full 3 page report to Indeck, USA.
Unfortunately, what I predicted then is reality now.
And one of the points, I mentionned at that moment was the arrogance of the former "people in power" against the short oval drivers/spectators although these people were the basic market they had to work on.
For the good understanding: I am the owner and organiser of Warneton Speedway.

car20
13th September 2007, 20:56
roland just a thought been on your website, to race what licencse do you have to have have when you hire drive for the weekend?? anything similar to the natinaol b

Roland Vanderme
13th September 2007, 21:44
Only a Camso license (25€) is necessary.
A rookie day is compulsary for ALL the new drivers (the friday before a meeting)
For hiring a car see http://www.rootsv8racing.com or contact Tony Roots on 07860.327 397

shortb
13th September 2007, 21:50
Has the possibility of the SCSA racing at Warneton been looked at before or is it considered too short?

racing59
13th September 2007, 22:09
Roland! At last!

Thank you for posting. On the "other place" (10-10ths) I did suggest that you talk to the organisers of "Motorfest", which is an INCARACE/Spedeworth joint promotion, and they operate a "short oval" using the pit straight, and the hot pitlane to provide an oval of around 700m. My feeling is that your cars would work on this with the right ratio in the Winters axle. And it's not FIA/MSA, so there should be no problem.

We (the SCSA) would love to come to Warneton, but it could only be a "demonstration", or non-championship round as you're not an FIA venue, so we couldn't "race". I'm not sure how that would work if we're not a "championship" but a series - I'm sure Duane would clarify that.

D.S. what you have to remember - the CAMSO car is a Late-Model short track car, not a 'speedway' car like ours. Though really ours are a "multi-purpose" chassis, designed to run on anything from a 1/4mile DIRT oval, to a road course, to a superspeedway.

Regards

Rob.
Team Air Ambulance. #59.

Roland Vanderme
13th September 2007, 22:33
a/ Motorfest: the Camso V8 would not work as the straights are very long and the turns very short; they would come out at too low revs out of the turns, as they have only one gear to race in.

b/ SCSA at Warneton for a demo? Why not?

c/ Camso V8 are indeed late (or super late ?) model chassis. I am not very technical but I doubt that the SCSA chassis is suitable for road racing (different wheel base) and for dirt track (completely different suspension and even the roll cage is different). Basically the Ascars are the ASA cars from a couple of years ago. At that moment the ASA series were run on "short "ovals (understand short ovals in the american way). They raced on tracks between 600m (3/8 mile) and 1 mile. Later they went on bigger tracks.

Abo
13th September 2007, 22:43
a/ Motorfest: the Camso V8 would not work as the straights are very long and the turns very short; they would come out at too low revs out of the turns, as they have only one gear to race in.

That's what the BRiSCA F1's thought last year, but they were gearing down into first for the turns and up into the main race gear for the straights.

Chigley
13th September 2007, 23:25
What hasn't been mentioned yet is that there is a fleet of single seaters that Rockingham use for their school. In my memory is correct these were intially made to be used as a single seater Oval formula, that died for whatever reason, but the cars are still around. 1800 Zetec, 115bhp, 145mph to me that's a recipe for a feeder series.
:)

pickup
14th September 2007, 00:01
That sounds good but who would need to make a decision on wether they could run with the Thunder Sunday promotion?

deadsquirrel
14th September 2007, 06:54
D.S. what you have to remember - the CAMSO car is a Late-Model short track car, not a 'speedway' car like ours. Though really ours are a "multi-purpose" chassis, designed to run on anything from a 1/4mile DIRT oval, to a road course, to a superspeedway.

Regards

Rob.
Team Air Ambulance. #59.

Roland - you have read too much into my post. I apologise if it came across as a dig at CAMSO.

Rob has hit the nail on the head - CAMSO are designed for short track. I was pointing out (as you have) that they're not designed to run the full oval.

I hope to make it to Warneton next year, time and budget permitting - looks a brilliant place.

Nick Brad
14th September 2007, 11:06
What hasn't been mentioned yet is that there is a fleet of single seaters that Rockingham use for their school. In my memory is correct these were intially made to be used as a single seater Oval formula, that died for whatever reason, but the cars are still around. 1800 Zetec, 115bhp, 145mph to me that's a recipe for a feeder series.
:)

Ahem, I mentioned them on the last page ;)
If someone was brought in to oversee the operation and possibly run them on an arrive and drive basis like the Cupras started off as, I think they'd be quite successful. I suggested West-Tec as they have both knowledge of the circuit and single seaters. Duane's got enough on his plate trying to run around and make the V8 trophy a success without worrying about a second series atm.

Roland, can you clarify something for me? I'm sure I read somewhere that Warneton was limited to 16 cars. Was this false or have you managed to have that restriction removed. I'd love to see a pack of 20 or so Camso V8's going at it. I'm also delighted to hear you say that you'd like the V8 trophy cars to visit for a "demo". Hopefully something can be arranged for next year at a Camso event. I'd drag as many people over with me as possible for it.

acorn
14th September 2007, 11:20
I'm sure I read somewhere that Warneton was limited to 16 cars. Was this false or have you managed to have that restriction removed. I'd love to see a pack of 20 or so Camso V8's going at it. I'm also delighted to hear you say that you'd like the V8 trophy cars to visit for a "demo". Hopefully something can be arranged for next year at a Camso event. I'd drag as many people over with me as possible for it.

i thought the 16 car limit was self imposed to prevent too much damage(remember the camilla... sorry, emma parker bowles experience).

the "annual" days of british power would seem like an ideal meeting.

deadsquirrel
14th September 2007, 11:21
the "annual" days of british power would seem like an ideal meeting.

that's the one I plan to get to

racing59
26th September 2007, 19:33
After lots of searching, I have found our open wheeler series for The Rock ;D

http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/photos/antique%20racers/Original%20Files/101_0007.JPG

Now tell me you don't like that.....

shortb
26th September 2007, 21:16
Cool!!!
What is it?

racing59
26th September 2007, 22:30
I believe the offical title is "Classic Modifieds"

racing59
26th September 2007, 22:33
If you look close enough, you can see the space for the "scatter gun" and the jars of 'shine.

Nick Brad
27th September 2007, 11:38
I think that car's from Canada is it not, looks very similar to others published in Short Circuit.
Sadly I don't think they're built to withstand impacts at the speeds they'd reach at Rockingham, something with those kind of looks would be good though.

JovialJooles
27th September 2007, 13:25
paint it black and it could be the Munsters' herse! :D

Roland Vanderme
27th September 2007, 20:05
QUOTE:
Roland, can you clarify something for me? I'm sure I read somewhere that Warneton was limited to 16 cars. Was this false or have you managed to have that restriction removed. I'd love to see a pack of 20 or so Camso V8's going at it. I'm also delighted to hear you say that you'd like the V8 trophy cars to visit for a "demo". Hopefully something can be arranged for next year at a Camso event. I'd drag as many people over with me as possible for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spotter for the #59 SCSA V8 Trophy

I realise now I did not answer your question.
I have seen in California a 100 laps race on a 1/4 mile (Stockton 99) with 20 Super Late Models (600HP) at the start. Only one major incident happened (a spinning car was hit at full speed by another car).
So 20 cars is possible, but we think, AT THE MOMENT, that maximum 16 cars is reasonable. This is only a decision for the Camso V8.
We had, till now a maximum of 14 cars in one race and it all went without problems. The day we have more than 16 cars at a meeting, we will decide if we allow more or if we work with qualifying heats, a consolation and a final with 16 cars.

shortb
27th September 2007, 20:06
Funny enough I thought of the munsters aswell!!!

racing59
27th September 2007, 22:51
This is what you're thinking....

http://www.munsterkoach.com/number1.htm

Rob.

Gasman#99
27th September 2007, 23:32
thought that was your company car rob, or was this the #59 once me and tractor chopped it up at the last race :D

Nick Brad
28th September 2007, 15:22
I have seen in California a 100 laps race on a 1/4 mile (Stockton 99) with 20 Super Late Models (600HP) at the start. Only one major incident happened (a spinning car was hit at full speed by another car).
So 20 cars is possible, but we think, AT THE MOMENT, that maximum 16 cars is reasonable. This is only a decision for the Camso V8.
We had, till now a maximum of 14 cars in one race and it all went without problems. The day we have more than 16 cars at a meeting, we will decide if we allow more or if we work with qualifying heats, a consolation and a final with 16 cars.
Well, hopefully something can be arranged for the "days of British power" weekend in 2008 and we can present around 20 cars for you to decide on. In fact, as the race would only be a "demo" anyway, you could use it as a basis for the decision with CAMSO V8s when grids swell to similar sizes. :D