PDA

View Full Version : Any guitar players out there?

Brown, Jon Brow
26th December 2006, 11:48
I just got a guitar for christmas but I can't seem to play a single note without my fretting fingers touching more than one string at a time, I'm following all the tips about keeping your hand curved and thumb at the middle of the neck. I'm sure my fingers aren't pointy enough. :o

Little help?

EuroTroll
26th December 2006, 11:51
I don't play the guitar but I'm pretty sure the solution to these kinds of problems is "keep practising". :p :

Viv
26th December 2006, 13:52
Studiose is right. Even with pointy fingers it takes quite a bit of practice to play the guitar without touching more than 1 string. I faced the same problem too while trying to play a friend's guitar.

Dan Eaves Fan
26th December 2006, 14:33
My younger sis plays it took awhile to learn and get it right from what i can remember hearing. but keep at it you maybe as good as slash one day. LOL!

XxXx

stevie_gerrard
26th December 2006, 15:48
Practice is the main key really, you'll get it eventually :)

Brown, Jon Brow
26th December 2006, 16:31
My younger sis plays it took awhile to learn and get it right from what i can remember hearing. but keep at it you maybe as good as slash one day. LOL!

XxXx

Slash!!!! I wish.

Sleeper
26th December 2006, 17:24
Slash, thats not really saying much.

I dont play guitar much but I do play bass. It takes a a few weeks of regular pracitcing to really get a feel for the instrument, after that it wont be problem.

real_illusions
26th December 2006, 18:34
i play guitar..been doing so for a few years..although not non-stop obviously.

just lots of practise, and best get yourself a private guitar tutor before you get into any bad habits, you may not know of them, but a tutor will help you steer clear of them and put you on the right path.

:)

BeansBeansBeans
26th December 2006, 22:11
This is what happens when you first start playing, so just keep practising and you'll get there.

Ranger
26th December 2006, 22:50
At least start by getting a tutor (if you're into it, that is) - they will teach you the do's and dont's that you'll keep in your head as you keep playing.

Then you can go anywhere from there. TABS on the internet provide you with a basic way of playing most songs, but if you want to play more advanced stuff - or rather, be a more complete musician, learn to read music. I haven't learned how to read music yet and when I'm playing in a Jazz Orchestra it's a pain in the arse.

And hand shape/size isn't that important in determining how good you are. I have rather small hands but it doesn't mean anything in terms of how good you are/will be.

Other than that, just keep practising.

Hope that helps.

Jefe Máximo
28th December 2006, 10:06
A few beginner tips -

*Keep your nails real short on your fretting hand.

*Learn how to tune your guitar. That's very important.

*Tune your guitar on a lower key, the strings remain a little loose so your fretting fingers don't hurt as much.

*Instead of chords, practice scaling. Chords come later.

Stick at it, you'lll be fine. You'll thank yourself for learning how to play later. ;)

Good luck!

Rudy Tamasz
28th December 2006, 13:14
Dress like a rock star; announce in public you're a guitar player; tell everybody you're awaiting a contract with a an international label; give an interview to a local FM station saying that everybody but you sucks; have affairs with several girls simultaneously. Then you may actually start learning to play but you don't have to. By that moment nobody (including you) won't care anyway.

Okeefe
28th December 2006, 14:19
I just got a guitar for christmas but I can't seem to play a single note without my fretting fingers touching more than one string at a time, I'm following all the tips about keeping your hand curved and thumb at the middle of the neck. I'm sure my fingers aren't pointy enough. :o

Little help?

Congratulations! When I first started I was told to keep the palm of my hand as close to the back of the neck of the guitar as I could as this gives even more length to your fingers as a result. With that more length to your fingers, you can aim your fingerTIPS straight onto the strings from a 90degree angle rather that aiming your fingerPADS up from the bottom thus covering more strings than you want to. I found this to be a very helpful habit to get into right from the start and I hope it helps you along the way too!

slinkster
28th December 2006, 18:35
Well I certainly wouldn't call myself a guitarist by any stretch of the imagination but I do own two guitars and have been known to have the odd strum now and then. My electric guitar is totally gorgeous and amazing, I don't really do it justice by playing it enough. I have no desire to be an excellent guitar player, I just like being able to play a few songs, make a few up and sing along :)

Anyway... your fingers will loosen up in time... just keep practising and doing lots of simple exercises to build up your strength in them. They'll soon be all flexy in the right places and all hard and calloused at the ends!

wacked
28th December 2006, 20:35
keep practicing.. get a private tutor.. or u can even try some books on learning basic guitar.. they help..

Brown, Jon Brow
1st January 2007, 17:33
Thanks for the tips :up:

I can now play part of Johnny B Goode and some of the riff from New Born by Muse. :D

mako
1st January 2007, 17:47
Try to make sure that every note you fret will ring out true when you strike the string, no "muffled notes" or anything like that. It will be annoying at first, but once you get the hang of it, you won't have that particular problem ever again.

Congrats and best of luck!