PDA

View Full Version : is the vectra really that good?

Ed
4th September 2007, 20:03
I was just thinking, the results of Chilton and Gio are so different that I was wondering if the vectra is really that a good car, or is just a question of Gio driving the life outta it?

He is always the quickest vauxhall driver and has got all the team wins so far this season. It reminds me a lot of muller in 2005 with the Astra Hatch

what does everyone else think?

VkmSpouge
4th September 2007, 20:18
Not even Giovanardi can haul a bad car into contention. The Vectra appears to be a good car with few weaknesses. I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't buy a couple for next season to run in the Independents' Cup.

VXRDartford
4th September 2007, 20:37
I was just thinking, the results of Chilton and Gio are so different that I was wondering if the vectra is really that a good car, or is just a question of Gio driving the life outta it?

He is always the quickest vauxhall driver and has got all the team wins so far this season. It reminds me a lot of muller in 2005 with the Astra Hatch

what does everyone else think?

I think it shows that Chilton is not as good a driver as he thinks he is. He is way behind Gio, Plato, Neal and Shedden.

The vectra is a very good car would be interesting to see how it would do in the wtcc against the factory beemers as it is better than the uk ones at the mo. (obviously I know that can't happen as it is built to local s2000 rules, would be interesting tho)

BDunnell
4th September 2007, 22:32
I think it shows that Chilton is not as good a driver as he thinks he is. He is way behind Gio, Plato, Neal and Shedden.

As I've said in another thread, while he has had an awful season, I don't think you suddenly lose the talent that saw him beating the likes of Muller, Thompson, Plato and Neal fair and square on occasions in 2004-5.

As for the Vectra, I think it is a very good car (the engine in particular is a strong point) and Giovanardi, after a shaky 2006 season, is showing his class.

mikecapener
5th September 2007, 00:10
Clearly without driving it you can only hypothesize, however I watched the 2006 DVD back recently back to back with some of this years stuff and the vectra (not surprisingly because of its size) seems a lot more stable in the corners, a lot more agile and I agree the engine seems to be a strong point. Watching the astra, I found that whenever it made a sharp/rough change of direction, you always thought that it looked really unstable.

also the vectra seems to use its tyres more sparingly as well. I agree that Chilts is having a bad year, shame because our boys could have really walked all over SEAT this year had the second driver been a more consistant proposition.

thompp
5th September 2007, 09:21
I certainly think Chilton is a fast driver, and has the speed to beat other leading drivers on occasion, but I think he lacks the control and consistency that marks out a champion.

NoahsGirl
6th September 2007, 12:46
I think it's a combination of the two. The Vectra is a better car than the Astra, but Muller consistently wrung results out of it whilst Turkington struggled. Now Giovanardi is getting the best use of his Vectra. Maybe he is setting it up better than Chilton, that's where Gio's experience will come through.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th September 2007, 13:30
Clearly without driving it you can only hypothesize, however I watched the 2006 DVD back recently back to back with some of this years stuff and the vectra (not surprisingly because of its size) seems a lot more stable in the corners, a lot more agile and I agree the engine seems to be a strong point. Watching the astra, I found that whenever it made a sharp/rough change of direction, you always thought that it looked really unstable.

also the vectra seems to use its tyres more sparingly as well. I agree that Chilts is having a bad year, shame because our boys could have really walked all over SEAT this year had the second driver been a more consistant proposition.

They had to set up the Astra very unstable in order to protect the front tyres.

wedge
6th September 2007, 13:45
IHMO, gotta give props to Gio. He's shown why he's a multiple champ because he's a top class driver. Remember he came in last year and had to learn all the circuits and the Astra Sporthatch wasn't the easiest of cars to set up.

888 gave the drivers freedom over set up and its Gio who's found sixth tenths out of the car!

There's a similar discussion over on the PH forum where Stu Harris answers his critics!

Dunno if this is allowed but here's the link: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=434587&i=20

thetrooper_uk
6th September 2007, 14:01
I think it's a good car but Chilton is not driving it as well as he could. Yes he's done well coming up through the ranks but now he's at the top he seems to be making excuses for his poor season. Let's hope he doesn't end up like the Neal's blaming everyone else for poor results.

Iain
6th September 2007, 18:14
There's a similar discussion over on the PH forum where Stu Harris answers his critics!

Dunno if this is allowed but here's the link: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=434587&i=20

Very interesting. :) Especially his comments on Colin's performances being better than they had realised.

Captain VXR
6th September 2007, 19:45
I think the Vectra is a good car but Tom and it just dont click for some reason. I think he would do better in a smaller car :)

BDunnell
6th September 2007, 22:34
Very interesting. :) Especially his comments on Colin's performances being better than they had realised.

Indeed — and the remarks on those other drivers.

Iain
6th September 2007, 23:28
I see Tom and his 16 year old brother Max are taking part in the Silverstone LMES race in an Arena-run Zytek. Should be interesting to see how they both get on in that.