PDA

View Full Version : Ducati and the best 4-stroke GP bike ever

The Phantom
3rd September 2007, 16:13
So, is it?

My money was on the RC211V, Jeremy Burgess's efforts with the M1 notwithstanding. But Ducati have pulled one out of the bag this year - no doubt they've been building fast GP bikes since day one in 2003, with plenty of 1st/2nd/3rd finishes along the way - most impressive. But with Stoner's dominance this year, I'm surprised there has not been more comment about the bike itself - although there's been a zillion comments regarding the (ahem) fact that the bike is the difference in 2007...

Ducati have the highest rev ceiling - 18 000+ rpm (I'm at an age now where I can't be arsed Googling exact specs, sorry). Talk about an endorsement for Desmodronic valve gear! If that isn't selling bikes, what else possibly could? (I know, lower servicing costs! :) ) High rpms = high power, so long as the thing stays together. And surprisingly, it does. It's not so long ago that the Ducati Superbike was lunching itself during the Daytona 200, what's changed?

And it handles! Well, Ducs have always handled. But wasn't it supposed to struggle at tight tracks?

It has amazing electronics! I haven't read all the articles - if you know where they are, please post them here. But by all accounts, the launch and traction control are so good, all Stoner needs to do to win is press the right buttons in the right sequence. Are the electronics handled in-house? Why was Ducati the first to offer a real data-logger on a production bike?

It looks great - and the tail unit is a dead-set replica of that which graces the 1098.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing a Duc GP bike in person (apart from when my so-called mates ring me from Gardner Straight at Phillip Island while the Ducs howl past) but again, it 'sounds' like it's the best in class in that field, too.

What's to fault? Resale value?

I think Japan Inc. needs to slap each other around the face with a wet sushi (or whatever they call fish there) and drink some Lambrusco - otherwise MV Agusta are going to smell the flowers and also throw their 2 lira into MotoGP as well...

ChrisS
3rd September 2007, 17:20
As you said Ducati GP bikes were always powerful could rev high, in fact the 990cc Ducs were too powerful for their own good (frame and tyres couldnt take it) and thats why the team had to find solutions to keep the power in control so they rev limited them, used big bang engine configuration etc... With the 800cc the frame and tyres could take the power so Ducati unlisted its engine in a high raving (I think close to 19K rpm) "screamer" configuration and never looked back

Its handling is good despite what everyone was predicting though I don't think its the best GP bike when it comes to handling. was there a situation this season where a Ducati had to outhandle another bike in the turns to pass? I dont seem to remember. they overtake in the straights and are long gone before the turn.

Overall I think Ducati had the best approach to the 800s but its not easy comparing bikes/riders of different eras.

best 990cc 4-stroke GP bike: Honda RC211V
best 800cc 4-stroke GP bike: (so far, who knows what will happen until 2010) Ducati Desmosedici
best 500cc 2-stroke GP bike: Honda NSR500 ( though by the end of 2003 the Team KR KR3 was probably the most advanced 2-stroke ever)
best 4-stroke racing bike before MotoGP: Yamaha YZF-R7

The Phantom
4th September 2007, 01:03
best 4-stroke racing bike before MotoGP: Yamaha YZF-R7

A great bike to be sure, but I think the RC30 might just steal that particular honour.

(yep I'm biased, I own a Honda V4 - wish it was an RC30/45 though...)