PDA

View Full Version : Rossi complaining

Mikeall
3rd September 2007, 14:18
There is no doubting that Valentino is a great rider but recently his complaining seems a bit excessive. He is second in the championship as he was last year and probably will almost definitely equal his worst top GP class position of 2nd. Yet he and his team make this out to be unfair as if it his divine right to be 1st. Success in MotoGP is a combination of the rider, bike, tyres and a bit of luck. No one can win all of the time.

This is what he said on the BBC website.

"Yamaha must change something," Rossi told Gazzetto dello Sport. "I prefer to do something else than race if I have to race like this.

"I don't think anyone likes the tyre situation. There's no battle any more."

First of all he should help Yamaha not criticise them and show he's a racer and not just there to pick up the glory of winning which he has done on more than his fair share on the number one bike of the best (or second best manufacturer). It also shows a lack of respect for the riders he races with by saying he'd rather do something else than be one of them rather than better than them.

The tyre complaints just sour grapes. The rules are the same for everyone. It seems Michelin used to make new tyres for the race based on Friday practice which they can't do anymore which was far more convenient being based in France rather than Japan. The current 31 tyre rule seems far more fair yet the Michelin teams especially Yamaha make the rules out to be unjust on the basis that it confuses the fans is not fair that they have a larger budget than Ducati and Suzuki yet lose in races etc... I just hope he isn't trying to hold MotoGP to ransom by saying he'll quit unless the tyre rules change...

ChrisS
3rd September 2007, 15:07
excessive complaining? I don't agree, Biaggi used to find more things to complain about in one practice session than Rossi did in the season so far :p

Anyway I think you make him sound worst than he did, he is testing new parts they give him and gives feedback, how else can he help the team? He backed up the team's decision to use the new engine.

Also preferring doing something else rather than racing like this. By "like this" did he mean riding 4th? I think he meant having to ride with all sorts of problems, tyre chatter etc...

I think he is handling his situation quite well so far, its not like he started kicking his bike or something, though maybe he should try that, Suzuki got better last year after Hopper parked the bike and started kicking it ;)

As for tyres, let me first say, rules are rules, Michelin knew exactly what they were getting themselves into when they signed them. its up to them to find a solution to their problems

having said that, I think the reason many fans are against the new rule is because the old rule was working fine. its the old "if it aint broke dont fix it" approach

The Phantom
3rd September 2007, 15:11
Great post, Mikeall. I've just been in another topic writing about Stoner, and mentioned Rossi's less than diplomatic comments (he also said that it's sad that the rider is no longer the major component of success). Chris, don't you think that Mikeall's comments regarding Rossi just getting on with the job are valid? It's not like he's had a tough time of it in years gone by.

Michelin did not do their homework, full stop. Had they worked like Bridgestone and based their development on previous race data, they'd have been fine, but they got complacent because they knew they could take the Friday and Saturday data, make some tyres overnight, and win on Sunday. If Dorna have any balls they will tell Michelin to get it together or else we will award a control tyre contract to Bridgestone... and the old tyre rule was not 'working fine' - Michelin were winning all the way, and Bridgestone was an also-ran. The 'many fans' were clearly 'Rossi fans' (and I was one, but fair is fair).

The tyre situation also speaks volumes about Rossi's pass success - had he not been on Michelin all the way perhaps we would not speak of him with such reverence (having said that - he has been a most deserving champion, but now you have to wonder).

Latest word is that the number of tyres allowed to be selected on the Thursday will be increased from 17 - sounds fair to me. I read today that Stoner is the only rider in the field who can make Bridgestone's hardest compound work, though - this is the reason why Capirossi ran out of fuel before Stoner at Misano - wheelspin with a softer compound - and why Stoner is so fast at the end of the race. How you can answer that, I don't know.

And Yamaha simply needs to make the effort to build a more powerful (and reliable) motor. Honda too. Suzuki aren't having much trouble producing the necessary output; they just don't have a Stoner aboard. But we might see Vermeulen redress this imbalance before the year's out.

ChrisS
3rd September 2007, 15:59
Michelin were winning all the way, and Bridgestone was an also-ran. The 'many fans' were clearly 'Rossi fans' (and I was one, but fair is fair).

up to 2005 yes but not in 2006 I think, if it wasn't for the crash in Catalunya that took out Sete for almost the rest of the season and forced Capirossi to ride while not 100% for the next few races, Ducati and Bridgestone would have been serious title contenders last season

F1boat
3rd September 2007, 18:58
Rossi has no problem if Michelin has superiority, now he whines. Great rider, but not a great loser.

MrJan
3rd September 2007, 19:10
When you win 7 world championships it's difficult to be a good loser. I don't blame Rossi at all, it's obvious from the results this season that the Michelins are poor and the 'stones much stronger. That said it's also obvious that Casey has bucked his ideas up and enjoys the bike he's on. Nice to see that as everyone said last year he actually is a good rider when he's not rolling down the road getting covered in carbon fibre.

osg
3rd September 2007, 20:43
Great post, Mikeall. I've just been in another topic writing about Stoner, and mentioned Rossi's less than diplomatic comments (he also said that it's sad that the rider is no longer the major component of success). Chris, don't you think that Mikeall's comments regarding Rossi just getting on with the job are valid? It's not like he's had a tough time of it in years gone by.

Michelin did not do their homework, full stop. Had they worked like Bridgestone and based their development on previous race data, they'd have been fine, but they got complacent because they knew they could take the Friday and Saturday data, make some tyres overnight, and win on Sunday. If Dorna have any balls they will tell Michelin to get it together or else we will award a control tyre contract to Bridgestone... and the old tyre rule was not 'working fine' - Michelin were winning all the way, and Bridgestone was an also-ran. The 'many fans' were clearly 'Rossi fans' (and I was one, but fair is fair).

The tyre situation also speaks volumes about Rossi's pass success - had he not been on Michelin all the way perhaps we would not speak of him with such reverence (having said that - he has been a most deserving champion, but now you have to wonder).

Latest word is that the number of tyres allowed to be selected on the Thursday will be increased from 17 - sounds fair to me. I read today that Stoner is the only rider in the field who can make Bridgestone's hardest compound work, though - this is the reason why Capirossi ran out of fuel before Stoner at Misano - wheelspin with a softer compound - and why Stoner is so fast at the end of the race. How you can answer that, I don't know.

And Yamaha simply needs to make the effort to build a more powerful (and reliable) motor. Honda too. Suzuki aren't having much trouble producing the necessary output; they just don't have a Stoner aboard. But we might see Vermeulen redress this imbalance before the year's out.

Spot on Phantom........... i'm a Rossi boy at heart, it's getting a little old hat now with the constant questioning of the rule.... i'm not enjoying this side of Valentino i must say.

He's at it again this morning, with articles up on http://www.crash.net and http://www.autosport.com .

Silver
3rd September 2007, 20:59
Let me get this straight... If the team are struggling/disadvantaged he should be happy and if he's winning he should campaign for better circumstances for everyone else?

RaikkonenRules
3rd September 2007, 21:06
There is no doubting that Valentino is a great rider but recently his complaining seems a bit excessive. He is second in the championship as he was last year and probably will almost definitely equal his worst top GP class position of 2nd. Yet he and his team make this out to be unfair as if it his divine right to be 1st. Success in MotoGP is a combination of the rider, bike, tyres and a bit of luck. No one can win all of the time.

This is what he said on the BBC website.

"Yamaha must change something," Rossi told Gazzetto dello Sport. "I prefer to do something else than race if I have to race like this.

"I don't think anyone likes the tyre situation. There's no battle any more."

First of all he should help Yamaha not criticise them and show he's a racer and not just there to pick up the glory of winning which he has done on more than his fair share on the number one bike of the best (or second best manufacturer). It also shows a lack of respect for the riders he races with by saying he'd rather do something else than be one of them rather than better than them.

The tyre complaints just sour grapes. The rules are the same for everyone. It seems Michelin used to make new tyres for the race based on Friday practice which they can't do anymore which was far more convenient being based in France rather than Japan. The current 31 tyre rule seems far more fair yet the Michelin teams especially Yamaha make the rules out to be unjust on the basis that it confuses the fans is not fair that they have a larger budget than Ducati and Suzuki yet lose in races etc... I just hope he isn't trying to hold MotoGP to ransom by saying he'll quit unless the tyre rules change...

What is it with all these champions. Do their heads grow to such a size that anything less than eing on the very top is down to everyone else?

T-D
3rd September 2007, 21:33
Let me get this straight... If the team are struggling/disadvantaged he should be happy and if he's winning he should campaign for better circumstances for everyone else?
he has a right to complain. it's just that he makes it all about him.

"me, me me. i am not enjoying it", he says.

well, no one enjoys getting beat. but, tell me, what other rider on bridgestones going back to 2002 complained to this degree?

he is a terribly poor sportsman and a selfish brat, to boot.

ArmchairBikeFan
3rd September 2007, 23:42
I think Rossi makes some valid points, but he has been a bit of a moaning cow lately. :)

Ranger
4th September 2007, 07:47
The fact is that he (with Michelin) have been beat. If Michelin and particularly Michelin riders stop complaining and focus on improvement, then perhaps they will be closer to the front.

ChrisS
4th September 2007, 12:39
Rossi: Ducati and Stoner deserve the title

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=20862

NinjaMaster
4th September 2007, 14:17
I am over Rossi's public moaning about his bike and tyres but he has every right to give Yamaha an earful for giving him a substandard bike for the second year running. He should hold his tongue on Michelin who have been great support in his past championships and this is the first time they have struggled. With this years data they will be back competitive next year. And of all things, stop complaining about the tyre rules. The rules aren't the problem, it is the company making them!

Silver
4th September 2007, 22:42
Hmmmm... Is he actually whinging, or are people just picking up on him pointing out the problems with his package (because he's never struggled like this before in his career)? Anyway, five minutes looking back through his quotes from the last few races and there's not a whole lot of complaining going on:

After Misano: "Once again Stoner deserved to win today, so well done to him."

After Laguna Seca: "We are not giving up; there are seven races left and we know that Michelin are going to work as hard as they possibly can in order to make the situation better for the second part of the season, but Stoner is very strong and we know it will be very hard."

After Sachsenring: "Finally I made my move and I made a great pass but I made a mistake and lost the front. I'm so disappointed because today our package was working very well and we missed the chance to make up a lot of points on Stoner."

After Assen: "This was an incredible race. I think maybe one of the top five of my career! Clearly starting from 11th is quite lucky for us because I've won a few times from that position, including last year at Sachsenring."

After Donington Park: "I had to go very carefully just to be able to finish and, because we were riding with a wet tyre on a dry track, my tyre was destroyed by the end. Colin did a great job in difficult circumstances so congratulations to him. We've had a very long meeting tonight and now we have to try to improve the situation for Assen."

After Catalunya: "What a race! Even if I'm disappointed not to win, it's a great emotion to be part of a race like that and fantastic fun. It really was an amazing battle to the end with many wonderful overtaking manoeuvres by both of us in all different parts of the track! Unfortunately I lost a bit of time at the start and then it was quite hard to pass Hopkins because he was fantastic on the brakes. Then with Stoner it was a great fight and honestly I couldn't have tried harder to win, but he was a very hard rival."

After Mugello: "My team have worked brilliantly, my bike was perfect and I could ride it exactly how I wanted, I need to say a huge thank you to them and also to Michelin."

After Le Mans: "We had hoped that this would be a track at which we could gain some ground on Stoner and it's going to be a very hard battle from here because he is very fast, not just on the straights but everywhere! I want to congratulate Chris Vermeulen today because he rode a great race, I think he's a bit of a magician in the rain!"

After Shanghai: "I enjoyed today a lot, it was a great race, a really exciting battle and my Yamaha was fantastic to the end. We knew that this track would be difficult for us so to be able to fight with Stoner at 100% for the entire race was a great feeling. Of course it's not a win, but I think second place is a very good result for us here."

Etc etc...

patnicholls
5th September 2007, 00:13
Good post, Silver.

Media manipulation is something they all have to be careful of :)

tha_jackal
5th September 2007, 01:55
I think Rossi's comment that "Yamaha must change something .. I prefer to do something else than race if I have to race like this" was very much made in the heat of the moment..

Being an Ant West fan, I know that heat of the moment comments can cause a person to be mis-represented and mis-interpreted..

We all know Vale relishes a challenge, and he will be doing everything in his power to get up the front again, however its up to Yamaha and Michelin to give him the tools neccesary and ensure he doesnt become dis-illusioned and go off rally driving for FIAT :p

leopard
5th September 2007, 09:05
Slightly agree about excessive complaint :)

I still think that michelin have problem solver from their great experience in racing, Yamaha is going to the right direction with Lorenzo. This guy has similar riding style like Sete, while mostly riders bend the back down when riding he rides slightly upright.

Elias has the more unique style, always put the seat off :D

neninja
5th September 2007, 12:28
I'm getting irritated by the talk of changing the rules again for tyres.

MotoGP has become too much about one person - Rossi. If he's not winning then many of his fans stop watching MotoGP.

This inevitably means that Dorna is under pressure to change the rules to help Rossi start winning again and regain their viewing numbers. Rossi's been quoted as saying the racing has become 'ugly' and too much like F1. Well we had a similar situation for the last year of 500's and the first 2 years of MotoGP 990 when Rossi could win by whatever margin he felt like almost every week. He could even be penalised by 10 secs and still win the race. Rossi chose to mix it with other riders early in the race but with several laps to go he'd stop playing and take off. Stoner chooses to clear off at the start and maintain a gap.

Did anyone change the rules to help the other riders compete? Did the viewing public say that it was boring? No.

Rossi's just getting the same treatment he dished out to the field for several seasons and he hates it. Same meat different gravy.

jonny hurlock
5th September 2007, 20:32
let rossi complaining, his not that wrost than Alonso,
look rossi is just having a poor season, let the doctor have his complaining I'm not intrested about his moaning, i'm intrested in his driving

NinjaMaster
6th September 2007, 11:38
Hmmmm... Is he actually whinging, or are people just picking up on him pointing out the problems with his package (because he's never struggled like this before in his career)? Anyway, five minutes looking back through his quotes from the last few races and there's not a whole lot of complaining going on:

I think Rossi has been whining a fair bit, particularly in reference to the tyre rule where he has complained a number of times about races being won based on tyres, etc, however it is made to seem worse when every motorcycle magazine or website you read has the same story about Valentino complaining. He might only make one complaint but reading it a dozen times can seem like he's complaining every day! Having said that, he should wake up and realise the tyre rule isn't the problem, his tyre company is.

mx311
7th September 2007, 08:33
I'll tell you what, if you think Valentino is complaining now just imagine what he'll sound like a year from now if the Yamaha still hasn't improved, he's been found guilty of dodging taxes and Jorge Lorenzo is beating him week in week out. Then he'll be complaining. :laugh:

From everything I've heard, he's just voicing his frustration, nothing more. I think some areas of the media (and certain fan groups) are making more of it than is there really.

Silver
7th September 2007, 22:14
Yep - agree with the above two posts. Anyone who says they never complain at work is lying - but getting the same complaint repeated by the media over and over again blows it all out of proportion.