PDA

View Full Version : Knockhill Thread

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 15:39
18 cars out for the qualifying session, with Shedden and Turner topping the times in the two practice sessions respecively.

25 minutes of qualifying to go and the BMWs have been doing well. What will happen?

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 15:41
Now the SEATs head the table, with Plato and Turner at the top. This is a good track for SEAT, twisty and slow.

Pedalpusher
1st September 2007, 15:42
We started Knockhill threads at the same time :D

Do you know who was quickest in practice this morning MP3 Astra?

Red flag for something now.

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 15:43
And now we have a red flag! Seems like a qualifying tradition to get at least one every weekend.

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 15:44
Do you know who was quickest in practice this morning MP3 Astra?

Read my first post :D

Pedalpusher
1st September 2007, 15:45
Yeah, sorry. I should use my eyes properly! :p :

Alfa Fan
1st September 2007, 15:49
Long red flag period

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 15:51
I have some eyes and ears at the circuit, but they're not responding at the moment. We'll have to wait until BTCC.net tells us what happened.

Pedalpusher
1st September 2007, 15:57
Underway again now

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 16:00
Turkington oh-so-nearly topples Turner from the top spot, 0.006 away from the GT racer's time of 53.390.

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 16:04
Neal isn't doing so well in that amazingly repaired car. He's 4/5th of a second off the pace and has completed as many laps as most of them. In the meantime, Circuit manager Shedden, pops into second spot behind an improving Turner.

Edit:

Neal's car wasn't repaired, it's brand new.
Yes, you're right. I just keep thinking it's been repaired.

Alfa Fan
1st September 2007, 16:08

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 16:08
Turkington, one of the best qualifiers this year, leaps into second position with a great lap! 0.046 behind Turner and 0.035 ahead of Shedden.

Edit:

Indeed. I don't know why I keep thinking it's been repaired.

Pedalpusher
1st September 2007, 16:18
Plato sneaked infront of Giovanardi, and Mike Jordan's done well to get 6th.

Mp3 Astra
1st September 2007, 16:19
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9470/knockhillhi2.jpg
It's all over, and we have Plato and Giovanardi right near each other on the grid. Great stuff!

VkmSpouge
1st September 2007, 16:22
Good pole for Darren Turner, he went well here last year. Turkington taking second place will probably mean he'll be leading by the first corner.
George, Taylor, Stockton, Hughes and Chilton clearly all encountering problems in the session. Shame for Taylor he needs plenty of time in the car. Who caused the red flag?
Mat Jackson clearly struggling with his BMW, he simply never got in contention. Mike Jordan did well.

Alfa Fan
1st September 2007, 16:25
I think George & Taylor were involved in a collision

MattL
1st September 2007, 16:32
Red flag was after Chilton and Taylor collided at Duffus. Taylor was trying to keep out of the way of cars on quick laps.

George had an electrical problem and Stockton's engine blew.

VkmSpouge
1st September 2007, 18:16
I hope all those with problems can start tomorrow, this field really doesn't need to lose anymore cars.

nicemms
1st September 2007, 19:01
With the grid only being 18 I really hope we don't loose any cars in the races. With Plato and Giovanardi being so close on grid we should have a good first race!

Good to see Smith doing so well! Lets hope he does well in the race.

Steelrat
1st September 2007, 22:00
Ah, Fiona ....

"Fiona Leggate, meanwhile, needed to come to a quick stop in the pit lane when here one of her Kartworld MG’s wheels fell off although her mechanics were able to re-fit it before she took to the track."

Steelrat
1st September 2007, 22:01
Ah, Fiona ....

"Fiona Leggate, meanwhile, needed to come to a quick stop in the pit lane when here one of her Kartworld MG’s wheels fell off although her mechanics were able to re-fit it before she took to the track."

P

Captain VXR
2nd September 2007, 10:21
I hope gio and plato avoid the inevitable carnage and have a battle for the lead :)

ATF
2nd September 2007, 10:53
I hope all those with problems can start tomorrow, this field really doesn't need to lose anymore cars.

True, but maybe only having 18 cars is a blessing in disguise - with Knockhill being such a small/tight circuit.

Looking forward to a great on-track battle for the title!! :D

SEATFreak
2nd September 2007, 11:10
As much as I get the impression certain folk don't seem to like much complying with what people ask, can I kindly request a little prediction from you good people?

Their is 18pts available in total per race. The 15pts for winning and a point each for fastest lap, pole and leading a race.

That means, if my math is correct, 108pts are available in total (18x6) left. But we all know that will not be achieved. Fabrizio or Jase would have to get pole in every race, lead it and get a fast lap in it.

So how many points do you think Jase (or Giovanardi) will need to secure the title before round 30 at Thruxton?

Is a mark in the 30's enough?

MattL
2nd September 2007, 11:18
The point for pole only applies for the first race of each meeting.

Mark
2nd September 2007, 11:53
So why did Neal and Shedden retire?

MattL
2nd September 2007, 12:12
Neal and Jackson came together on the first lap.

Shedden tried to pass Turner at the hairpin, damaging his suspension and picking up a puncture in the process.

And Tom Onslow-Cole made a silly move on Giovanardi, which dropped the Vectra down through the order. With Onslow-Cole running with Plato and Giovanardi during the race, it was always possible he was going to get mixed up in the championship battle. Unfortunately, he did!

Ian McC
2nd September 2007, 12:19
Neal and Jackson came together on the first lap.

How much do you want to bet the first thing the press in the pit lane did was run and shove tape recorders under Steve Neal's nose ;)

Mark
2nd September 2007, 12:20
Neal recovered by driving the wrong way down the track right in front of me. Was he disqualified?

MattL
2nd September 2007, 14:13
No, but Onslow-Cole was.

ATF
2nd September 2007, 14:24
What's happened to Chris Stockton - he didn't start either race?! And why did the MGs retire in race 1, didn't see that on TV!

Also, following on from VkmSpouges comments - all 17 cars that started actually finished race 2!!

cos
2nd September 2007, 14:40
Stockton blew an engine yesterday, I presume the team didn't have a spare to hand. As for the MGs, Louise did mention something about fuel pressure problems on the grid for race 2.

VkmSpouge
2nd September 2007, 14:59
Congratulations for Darren Turner winning the first two races, he really deserved them. Colin Turkington also doing very well with a brace of seconds. I feel Gordon Shedden is the quickest out there but his collision with Turner in race 1 really messed things up for him.
Shame for Stockton not making the grid. Well done to John George for getting his best result in the BTCC with 8th and to Alan Taylor for scoring a point on his debut.

Mp3 Astra
2nd September 2007, 15:04
I'm not sure whether that Onslow-Cole disqualification was correct; from the view we saw it looks as if Gio didn't give him enough room. It's hard to call, but definately not serious enough for a disqualification...

Shedden is doing a great job, even though he retired in race 1, he drove a storming race in the second one!

MattL
2nd September 2007, 15:31
I'm not sure whether that Onslow-Cole disqualification was correct; from the view we saw it looks as if Gio didn't give him enough room. It's hard to call, but definately not serious enough for a disqualification...

Shedden is doing a great job, even though he retired in race 1, he drove a storming race in the second one!

Onslow-Cole came from a long way back when there was no real possibility of making a pass.

Mark
2nd September 2007, 16:18
Well that was a fix!

VkmSpouge
2nd September 2007, 16:25
Congratulations to Gordon Shedden for winning on home turf. He probably had the quickest car all day and got a reward for his good driving. Whether Neal let Shedden through or not doesn't really matter, Shedden was the better and he is well on course to grab 3rd place in the Drivers' Championship.

Jason Plato leading Fabrizio Giovanardi by only 9 points with three races at Thruxton to go. Can anyone explain why there is this horrid six week break now?

Onslow-Cole came from a long way back when there was no real possibility of making a pass.

But the camera angle was pretty much head on, its hard to tell whether Onslow-Cole came from all that far back.

nicemms
2nd September 2007, 16:51
Shedden did very well today, he really should have had two wins just unfortunate that the car failed as he made the move!

Giovanardi also did well today, he managed to get past Plato more than once which is good.

Pedalpusher
2nd September 2007, 17:14
Well it all seems nicely poised for the final round at Thruxton, 9 point lead for Plato, but plenty of points still up for grabs.

Shame it's a 6 week gap though :(

I'm looking forward to seeing the photo thread for those of you that have made the trip to Knockhill :)

MBailey06
2nd September 2007, 17:33
Whats even more interesting about the points gap is thats the exact amount that Giovanardi outscored Plato by at the earlier Thruxton round, so we could be in for a 2004-like finish.

Vez
2nd September 2007, 17:34
Talking about Onslow-Cole, I can't remember who mentioned it (Ted or Louise), but they said that before the incidence with Gio, Tom had overtaken someone under yellows.
So for Tom to overtake under yellows and almost take out one of the championship contenders was enough for the stewards to take action I suppose.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2007, 18:17
Missed all of this round because the fecking VCR didn't work. :mad: And I can't see any highlights in the TV listings :(

What was the racing like? Was it a spectacular as it normally is at Knockhill?

Captain VXR
2nd September 2007, 19:50
Missed all of this round because the fecking VCR didn't work. :mad: And I can't see any highlights in the TV listings :(

Just average really :) , Gordons win was well deserved. I think both TO-C and Gio were at fault - Tom should have known Gio wouldnt let him past and Gio shouldn't have been so defensive :)

SEATFreak
2nd September 2007, 19:57
It's exciting seeing Plato vs Giovanardi but what about the other Championships as we prepare for the finale?

SEAT only lead VXR by 7pts in the Teams', and in the Manufacturers' Vauxhall lead SEAT 522 to 484. Quite a big lead to overhaul - providing Darren and Jase finish highly in every one of the last three and Fabrizio and Tom have a bad day.

And what about the Independent Drivers?! Mat Jackson only has a gap over Mike Jordan of 2pts! You cannot even get, as my mate who sits beside me at Sunderlands games, a 'gnats pube' between it!! :laugh:
It would be really nice for Mat to win what with it being his first season in the BTCC and Jackson Motorsport being a family outfit. But how awesome would it be for Mike to win it?! Hands up those of you who had Mike and his Team Eurotech as being second to the leader by 2pts at the start?

Then of course theirs the Independent Teams. Finally WSR looks like bagging a title No.2 since coming back in 2001. WSR lead Team Eurotech 283 to 222. But on 221 is Jackson Motorsport so he could yet be the runner up.

Can we move the finale forward by 5 weeks?

Iain
2nd September 2007, 20:03
SEATFreak, those points you have quoted aren't up to date.

Well that was a fix!

:laugh: Just what I shouted as they coasted past on their slowing down lap, to which I got a few looks. :p :

Pleased for Turner to have some decent luck for a change and maybe damaging his car when trying to pass for the lead in race 1 will teach Shedden that he can't be as heavy handed as he has been at times.

Good day for Colin, just a shame he couldn't snatch race two, as I felt if there had been a few more laps, he might have done it. Closed up the Indies points as well with his two wins. :) But I fear for him at Thruxton with the BMW's tyre issues there and Jordan being in a car suited to the circuit. :(

nicemms
2nd September 2007, 20:04
The gap may have been put in place to make sure all teams are there so if they get taken off at Knockhill they have enough time to get the car repaired for the final round.

Iain
2nd September 2007, 20:05
The gap is for ITV's coverage of the Rugby World Cup. Like last year when the Football World Cup dictated a large summer break.

VkmSpouge
2nd September 2007, 20:08
And what about the Independent Drivers?! Mat Jackson only has a gap over Mike Jordan of 2pts!

Actually, that hasn't been updated. After Knockhill, Mike Jordan leads the Independents' Cup by 3 points from Colin Turkington with Mat Jackson 19 points behind and Tom Onslow-Cole 40 points adrift.

Mp3 Astra
2nd September 2007, 20:14
The gap may have been put in place to make sure all teams are there so if they get taken off at Knockhill they have enough time to get the car repaired for the final round.

Six weeks? I don't think so! Neal's car was built in two weeks so I'd give the rest of the teams a maximum of four for lesser work. I think it's mostly because there are lots of F1 round in close succession, like two double-headers in the next five weeks.

A Scotsman
2nd September 2007, 22:37
Talking about Onslow-Cole, I can't remember who mentioned it (Ted or Louise), but they said that before the incidence with Gio, Tom had overtaken someone under yellows.
So for Tom to overtake under yellows and almost take out one of the championship contenders was enough for the stewards to take action I suppose.

Yes he did exactly that.. We saw it in the flesh... !

An absolutely great couple of days at Knockhill.. Weather was mainly dry, huge crowd and some excellent racing.. Gordon Shedden got a great win which certainly pleased his home crowd.

Knockhill is a very demanding track and it certainly sorted out the men from the boys.

The support races were also excellent and the Scottish Legends which are based at Knockhill certainly did us proud..

nik
2nd September 2007, 23:28
But I fear for him at Thruxton with the BMW's tyre issues there and Jordan being in a car suited to the circuit. :(

I'd be over the moon if Jordan wins the indies. He deserves it.

bt52b
3rd September 2007, 00:20
How did Ben Edwards get on in the legend?

cos
3rd September 2007, 01:13
How did Ben Edwards get on in the legend?

15th in the final - not too shabby!

Daniel
3rd September 2007, 08:20
My thoughts exactly. even without overtaking under yellows that move on itself was silly and overambitious in the extreme.

BeansBeansBeans
3rd September 2007, 09:05
15th in the final - not too shabby!

He was a good little peddler in his youth, Ben Edwards.

I only discovered recently that he was a Champion in Formula First.

BDunnell
3rd September 2007, 13:29
He was a good little peddler in his youth, Ben Edwards.

Peddler of what? ;)

Anyway, he was indeed. A 1987 edition of Top Gear that featured a report on Formula First by the bearded wonder Chris Goffey included an interview with him, and Chris Goodwin.

BDunnell
3rd September 2007, 13:31
I'd be over the moon if Jordan wins the indies. He deserves it.

Me too. To manage such a feat against drivers who have won races outright would be quite something.

Iain
3rd September 2007, 20:18
I watched the first race last night. I agree that Tom O-C was very ambitious and shouldn't have gone for the gap that rapidly closed, but if he was penalised for that, why have several other moves I can remember happening at that corner in the past gone unpunished? For instance Neal on Plato in race two last year, then the reverse towards the end of the race which caused the pileup. I can't remember any action being taken anyway.

Les
3rd September 2007, 22:01
I watched the first race last night. I agree that Tom O-C was very ambitious and shouldn't have gone for the gap that rapidly closed, but if he was penalised for that, why have several other moves I can remember happening at that corner in the past gone unpunished? For instance Neal on Plato in race two last year, then the reverse towards the end of the race which caused the pileup. I can't remember any action being taken anyway.

they never seem fair in penalizing people. I saw nothing 'more' wrong in that than in loads of other incidences... it seems to me that a certain driver was being protected so we have a good finale.

KILOHMUNNS
4th September 2007, 12:23

PM me with your address and I'll send you a DVD copy.

Only got a chance to watch it last night, some great close racing. It was also good to see John George and Martyn Bell get some points. Lets hope more cars will be back for the final round.

Iain
4th September 2007, 16:11
John George did really well. It took Tom Chilton quite a while to get past him in race two. :)

BDunnell
4th September 2007, 17:14
John George did really well. It took Tom Chilton quite a while to get past him in race two. :)

Chilton really is having an awful season, isn't he? He has had some bad luck, but generally he's looked totally out of sorts almost everywhere.

BeansBeansBeans
4th September 2007, 18:38
Chilton really is having an awful season, isn't he? He has had some bad luck, but generally he's looked totally out of sorts almost everywhere.

He seems to have lost his way at Vauxhall, but I still think he's a potential future BTCC Champion. He's come in for ridicule in some quarters, but in fairness to him, I think the vast majority of BTCC drivers would find themselves in his position if paired with a team-mate of Giovanardi's calibre.

BDunnell
4th September 2007, 22:29
He seems to have lost his way at Vauxhall, but I still think he's a potential future BTCC Champion. He's come in for ridicule in some quarters, but in fairness to him, I think the vast majority of BTCC drivers would find themselves in his position if paired with a team-mate of Giovanardi's calibre.

I agree that he must still be a good driver, because his pre-2006 performances prove it and you don't suddenly lose your ability, but he has had an utterly unremarkable season in a car that could well win the title. This never does anyone any good.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th September 2007, 23:08
Form is temporary, class is permanent

NoahsGirl
6th September 2007, 12:40
Knockhill was a great meeting. I would say that my driver of the day would be Martyn Bell as he 9 times out of 10 fishtailed and drifted out of the haiprin everytime. It was great to watch!

You could tell from Shedden's body language in the car in Race 1 he was going to do somthing stupid because he was so desperate to win at Knockhill, and lo, he proved me right.

Roll on Thruxton, it's going to be exciting.