PDA

View Full Version : What I would like to see IMSA do....

IMSAFAN1
30th August 2007, 20:29
First ALMS brought IMSA in to oversee the series but what I would really love to see is the catagories changed to the way they used to be...LMP1 back to GTP and LMP2 to GTP Lites. IMSA logo is the best one out there.

wedge
31st August 2007, 13:13
Don't worry, the ACO have mandated closed-roof prototypes in a few years time which means we'll be seeing them in ALMS too :up:

trumperZ06
31st August 2007, 16:08
;) I have NO IDEA what the ALMS rules comittee is likely to do... next year.

These guys keep fiddling with the rules... sometimes from race to race.

:D I'm glad we are going to the Petit LeMans again this year... we may not see the Audi's next year. Sure hope we see more cars in GT1... otherwise the Corvettes might be leaving too.

harvick#1
31st August 2007, 16:45
Don't worry, the ACO have mandated closed-roof prototypes in a few years time which means we'll be seeing them in ALMS too :up:

only in P1, the P2's still get to bet open at least :D

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2007, 18:59
Whether the cars have roofs or not, is of no real consequence. What matters is having competition in the classes. I would like to see ALMS drop down into one prototype class and one GT class. Yes, I know it would mirror the other guys, but I think in time, it makes more sense. Furthermore, the rules in IMSA/ALMS are still more libreal and more technologically encouraging, so you would still get some intersting cars. I would like to also see more rules stability over the course of a season, but the need to tinker never seems to go away does it?

IMSAFAN1
31st August 2007, 22:47
What I was trying to say is that with the introduction of closed top cars IMSA should bring back some tradition with calling them GTP like in the old days. I agree with having only one catagory...the LMP2 cars have proven that they can beat up on the LMP1 cars. LMP2 seems to be a good fit for new manufactures to come into. This also might attract some of the old ones also. The GT1 category should also be made into one. There is going to be a Corvette entered in GT2 next year. So a GT1 car can be altered to fit the rules for GT2. On a different note......Boy do I ever miss Fermin Velez in a sports car.....I would love to see Max the Axe go up against Fermin in a last lap duel. lots of banged up cars. Also...where is my old boss(Jim Downing?) he should be building a car for DP.

Mark in Oshawa
4th September 2007, 21:12
IMSAFan, wasn't Downing involved with the guys who put the Crawford DP on the road?

wbcobrar
5th September 2007, 00:33
I would LOVE to see Chevy take on P2. Or Audi take on GT1 with that R8.

trumperZ06
7th September 2007, 16:16
I would LOVE to see Chevy take on P2. Or Audi take on GT1 with that R8.

:D IMO...The Audi R8 would be better suited to consider GT-2. GT-2 is much closer to the factory cars.

;) The Corvettes in GT-1 are purpose built vechicles with very little in common with the Vette you can buy at your local dealer.

bennybigb
7th September 2007, 20:02
I'm with you IMSAFAN!

Bring back the roofs and the GTP name.

GTP was the hey day of sports car racing in America, please bring back the tradition!

wbcobrar
11th September 2007, 00:25
Audi has a little experience fabing "purpose built racecars" and GT1 needs some competetion with big teeth , or its dead .

trumperZ06
11th September 2007, 17:27
Audi has a little experience fabing "purpose built racecars" and GT1 needs some competetion with big teeth , or its dead .

;) Hhmmmm... Audi certainly could build a special vechicle that would be competitive in GT1. I wonder if they were to do so... wouldn't Lamborghini be a better choice?

:D My thoughts are... that Audi's R8 is positioned to compete with Porsche's TT, both cars are more grand touring... than full bore Sports Cars.

tannat
12th September 2007, 04:57
..Boy do I ever miss Fermin Velez in a sports car.....I would love to see Max the Axe go up against Fermin in a last lap duel. lots of banged up cars.

Fermin Velez died of cancer in 2003 :(

wmcot
12th September 2007, 06:55
If you could get Ford to commit to GT1 or GT2, that would raise the interest in the series among US residents. Imagine GT1 with Chevy vs. Ford!

trumperZ06
12th September 2007, 20:03
:D There's a rumor that Lou Gigliotti may enter a Corvette in ALMS GT-2 next year.

;) Lou will let us know his plans for 2008 after the Road Atlanta World Challenge race in 3 weeks.

ZzZzZz
17th September 2007, 23:07
First ALMS brought IMSA in to oversee the series...

This isn't really accurate. All they did was buy the name. It was really a restoration of the the name, as much of the IMSA infrastructure/personnel remained through the iterations. It was just right to get the name back.

Ooh, with the talk of nostalgia and the Ford GT1, wouldn't it be great to get Roush back to run the program?

racefanfromnj
17th September 2007, 23:39
unfortunately you wont see the GTP name come back the ACO wont allow The Lemans Prototype part to go away

k.mack
28th September 2007, 20:00
What I would like to see IMSA (or ALMS, ACO or whatever) do is have two distinctly different prototype classes. One for engine manufactures and one for chassis builders.

The engine manufacturer class would all use the same chassis. the idea being to put more emphasis on the performance of the engine.

The chassis builder class would use a spec engine. This would help hi lite the performance of the chassis.

As for GT classes: I would like to see the cars on the track more like the cars in the showroom. In many respects the GT cars of today are "true prototypes". They are so modified that they resemble the road car in looks only.

trumperZ06
28th September 2007, 21:49
;) The GT2 class in ALMS is a lot closer to "Stock" than any of the "Stock Cars" racing in NA$CAR. The GT1 class is really more of a prototype class with any simularity to the stock sportscar being in... "Looks Only".

k.mack
29th September 2007, 01:05
The GT2 and even the GT1 cars are more stock than anything in NASCAR but they could still be closer the showroom version. To me it is ridiculous that the GT2 Corvette costs 10 times more than a ZO6. No wonder there is so little interest in the class. Maybe GT should be more like Grand-Am Cup only for the so called "supercars". It might open the door for some of the small exotic speciality car builders.

ZzZzZz
29th September 2007, 02:38
They should be more like the SPEED World Challenge, their (frequent) support series?

trumperZ06
29th September 2007, 04:54
The GT2 and even the GT1 cars are more stock than anything in NASCAR but they could still be closer the showroom version. To me it is ridiculous that the GT2 Corvette costs 10 times more than a ZO6. No wonder there is so little interest in the class. Maybe GT should be more like Grand-Am Cup only for the so called "supercars". It might open the door for some of the small exotic speciality car builders.

;) You are thinking of the C-6R Corvette which is in GT1 and entered by GM. This is a factory prototype and is more than 10 times the cost of a factory stock Corvette. LG may be running a GT2 Vette next year which should cost about the same as his Speed World Challenge Vettes... which he ran for the past three years or so. GT2 is much closer to factory stock... than is GT1.

wmcot
29th September 2007, 08:25
GT2 is much closer to factory stock... than is GT1.

Yes, GT2 is very close to factory stock. The Ferrari F430 does not actually have a flat bottom and a diffuser built-in, but the "bolt" onto the underside of the chassis which is pretty close to stock. (See photo attached) The other GT2 cars are similar.

BrentJackson
3rd October 2007, 07:22
The best bet right now might just be upping the purses for privateer entrants. Any financial help will likely translate into additional entries. As far as GT1 goes, I say if you can't get competition for Corvette, scrap it and tell them to go run in GT2, which would become just GT.

I'd like to see the P1 and P2 merged into one class (they run similar speeds anyways, correct?) and this just becomes the Prototype class.

This sort of schedule would help too. :D

1 - Sebring (12 Hours)
2 - Long Beach (500 miles, Saturday into the night, street circuit)
3 - Las Vegas (6 Hours, Saturday into night, street circuit)
4 - Miller Park (4 Hours)
5 - Mid-Ohio (4 Hours)
6 - Indianapolis (12 Hours)
7 - Mont-Tremblant (4 Hours)
8 - Pacific Raceways (4 Hours)
9 - Road America (500 Miles)
10 - Mosport (8 Hours)
11 - Watkins Glen (1000 Miles)
12 - Road Atlanta (1000 Miles/10 Hours)
13 - Laguna Seca (6 Hours, into night)
14 - Mexico City (4 Hours)
15 - Miami (500 Miles, street circuit)

:D

wmcot
4th October 2007, 07:41
The best bet right now might just be upping the purses for privateer entrants. Any financial help will likely translate into additional entries. As far as GT1 goes, I say if you can't get competition for Corvette, scrap it and tell them to go run in GT2, which would become just GT.

I'd like to see the P1 and P2 merged into one class (they run similar speeds anyways, correct?) and this just becomes the Prototype class.

This sort of schedule would help too. :D

1 - Sebring (12 Hours)
2 - Long Beach (500 miles, Saturday into the night, street circuit)
3 - Las Vegas (6 Hours, Saturday into night, street circuit)
4 - Miller Park (4 Hours)
5 - Mid-Ohio (4 Hours)
6 - Indianapolis (12 Hours)
7 - Mont-Tremblant (4 Hours)
8 - Pacific Raceways (4 Hours)
9 - Road America (500 Miles)
10 - Mosport (8 Hours)
11 - Watkins Glen (1000 Miles)
12 - Road Atlanta (1000 Miles/10 Hours)
13 - Laguna Seca (6 Hours, into night)
14 - Mexico City (4 Hours)
15 - Miami (500 Miles, street circuit)

:D

Agreed! No point in keeping P1 and P2. Porsche revolutionized the P2 class, but unfortunately, they also made it obsolete barring artificial means to disadvantage the P2's like added ballast, more inlet restrictions, or fuel capacity restrictions similar to the P1 Audi's.

I see no point in GT1 unless Chevrolet has that big of an advertising budget that they will back 2 cars racing against nobody.

One prototype class and one GT class would be nice, just don't make them one-make classes like the DP's in Grand-Am.

ZzZzZz
4th October 2007, 21:49
But there are plenty of P1 and GT1 entries at Le Mans. Things change. Why tie your own hands?

Corvette themselves may leave. It may be worth them moving to GT2, but that's their choice. They are clear they want to continue in GT1 at Le Mans. Why take away an option for a valued team? Wouldn't it be better to work to strengthen the GT1 class?

I wish IMSA would move to restore P1 and GT1 and the headlining/pro/factory classes. Heavily restricing the Audis hasn't worked to bolster P1. They have a loophole that allows P2 cars to win regularly. Porsche and Acura would quickly move to P1 if their chance of winning overall in P2 dropped signifcantly. Though, Highcroft would probably remain, and there would be room for a few privateer Acura and Porsche teams.

So the question is: could P1 Posches and Acura be competitve with a less restricted Audi? Any safty concerns with the higher speeds? Or should some restrictions be eased into the P2 class?

BrentJackson
5th October 2007, 03:08
^ Until we KNOW for a fact that somebody else will run in P1 don't give them such an advantage. I'd rather have to see the race before I know who won, thanks.

As far as GT1 is concerned, its just too expensive for most teams. Find them sponsorship and maybe we'll have more of them.

wedge
6th October 2007, 15:13
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=271607

GT1 looks like its about to die in ALMS. I remember Dave Richards saying he wanted Aston back at ALMS when he bought the company.

Strangely, they're not using the full course at Millers Motorsport Park

GT2 is getting strong. Some Ford GTs and Riley running C6s.

ZzZzZz
6th October 2007, 22:31
^ Until we KNOW for a fact that somebody else will run in P1 don't give them such an advantage. I'd rather have to see the race before I know who won, thanks.

As far as GT1 is concerned, its just too expensive for most teams. Find them sponsorship and maybe we'll have more of them.

The Audis have such an advantage in P1 that they are regularly beaten by P2 cars?

My point is those P2 cars should be in P1, leaving P2 to privateers.

GT1 should be too expense for privateers to expect to win. But, do you want to close the door to Aston Martin, Maseratti, etc. showing up? Do you want the huge budget factory team running GT2? I think that would like cause a mass exodus of teams and could kill the series. Having 4 classes is a strength. It allows you the flexibility to continue (and even grow 40%) while a class or two are underrepresented. So, in not having a crisis, they have the time to fix these issues without doing anything wrash.

It seems like eliminating a class or 2 would be a rejection of the deal with the ACO. One big value a lot of teams get in running ALMS is the opportunity to secure an invitation to Le Mans. Reject the ACO and you might lose a lot of the top teams.

Jag_Warrior
7th October 2007, 22:41
The great thing is the boys & girls at Ford have a solid sports marketing plan in place, so that the world won't (continue to) see the Blue Oval as a company that is nothing more than a maker of some really mediocre taxi cabs, police cruisers and family haulers... or not.

The third and final team announcing plans for 2008 was Doran Racing. The Ohio-based organization is in the process of building two Ford GTs for customer Oliver Kuttner.
"The first car should be on the track in November or December for a shakedown run," said Doran. "Then, the first public debut should be at the January winter test."
Doran explained he would like to run one car all-season long, but they don't have the funding in place at the moment. A debut in the Twelve Hours of Sebring is planned. Although not giving its full blessing, Ford has been cooperative with the homologation process.

"It's not their favorite project for competition but they seem to be somewhat accepting of the inevitable outcome," Doran stated. "They're not trying to kill us or anything but they're not going out of the way to help us either."

Amazing. Just amazing. Someone else offers to do the heavy lifting for them, and they still don't have the good, common sense to get behind it. :rolleyes:

trumperZ06
8th October 2007, 00:30
:dozey: Ford's broke !!! The Blue Oval is strugling... just to hang on !!!

;) We should see.... 2 C6 Corvettes, 1 or 2 Vipers, at least 2 BMW M-3's, 1 ford GT43, all in GT-2. That makes GT-2 the most interesting class !!!

:( Unless the Aston Martin's return... it looks like Chevy will only run the C-6R Vettes at LeMans.

ZzZzZz
8th October 2007, 20:34
That's gotta be stupid, petty internal politics at Ford. The Ford GT program is exactly what they need to create excitement with the Ford name and get people to the showroom. That's an established model to boost sales.

I can understand why they wouldn't launch a full factory effort. (Maybe not agree, but understand.) But they really should support Duran, quietly, and test the waters. Then be ready to jump full bore if the public response is there and the bean counters can realize the value of the investment.

Right now, we're just seeing that there's deadwood that needs to be removed as part of Ford's recovery.

wbcobrar
9th October 2007, 01:06
I am computer challenged , so I dont know how to post a link , but at You Ought To Know this . com Ford GTR , there is a neat video of the early stages of the Doran/ Ford GT build . This page of the site has'nt been updated in a LONG TIME , and when Doran arrived at Road America I was dissapointed to see the Masarati . If there is still hope that the Ford GT will run ,I ( as a true blue oval fan , and a ALMS die hard ) am totally happy .

trumperZ06
9th October 2007, 16:47
I am computer challenged , so I dont know how to post a link , but at You Ought To Know this . com Ford GTR , there is a neat video of the early stages of the Doran/ Ford GT build . This page of the site has'nt been updated in a LONG TIME , and when Doran arrived at Road America I was dissapointed to see the Masarati . If there is still hope that the Ford GT will run ,I ( as a true blue oval fan , and a ALMS die hard ) am totally happy .

;) That site posted the news & video quite a while ago... intending to be racing this year. Looks like we might see them with the Ford GT 43 in 2008.

Ford has ended production on this model (a year or 2 ago)... so the entry will be by a privateer.

wedge
10th October 2007, 01:17
That's gotta be stupid, petty internal politics at Ford. The Ford GT program is exactly what they need to create excitement with the Ford name and get people to the showroom. That's an established model to boost sales.

I can understand why they wouldn't launch a full factory effort. (Maybe not agree, but understand.) But they really should support Duran, quietly, and test the waters. Then be ready to jump full bore if the public response is there and the bean counters can realize the value of the investment.

Right now, we're just seeing that there's deadwood that needs to be removed as part of Ford's recovery.

Can't remember where I read this exactly but apparantly Ford never really wanted the GT being raced let alone factory support.

trumperZ06
10th October 2007, 16:17
Can't remember where I read this exactly but apparantly Ford never really wanted the GT being raced let alone factory support.

;) Racing the GT43 would likely tarnish Ford's... GT 40's series reputation.

Stock... the car is a LOOONG WAY from being race worthy. Take the 5.4 liter super-charged engine for starters. Without great development effort... cooling is an issue. These engines "Heat Soak" and lose power within 30 minutes on the track.

racefanfromnj
10th October 2007, 23:32

In all honesty why would Ford get too excited about the GT program they didnt think too much of it to keep it in productuion . the car is regardless out of the picture , no longer being produced

BoilerIMS
11th October 2007, 15:48
;) Racing the GT43 would likely tarnish Ford's... GT 40's series reputation.

Stock... the car is a LOOONG WAY from being race worthy. Take the 5.4 liter super-charged engine for starters. Without great development effort... cooling is an issue. These engines "Heat Soak" and lose power within 30 minutes on the track.

Interestingly, the race GT2 version of the Ford GT will probably not run the 5.4l supercharged engine - it cannot meet the ACO homologation requirements. In some of the early information that Kevin Doran released, it was suggested that the GT2 version would run with a Ford 'cammer' engine instead.

trumperZ06
11th October 2007, 16:09
Interestingly, the race GT2 version of the Ford GT will probably not run the 5.4l supercharged engine - it cannot meet the ACO homologation requirements. In some of the early information that Kevin Doran released, it was suggested that the GT2 version would run with a Ford 'cammer' engine instead.

;) I expect a lot of Saleen's racing experience will be down-loaded into Doran's team.

wbcobrar
14th October 2007, 18:23
The "Cammer" is similar to the 5.4 . It is another in the Ford family of Modular motors . Ford has a engine in the ALMS fight , the Panos runs one . If I could wish cars into ALMS I would love GT2 : Acura NSX , Nissan Skyline , Toyota Supra ,Ford Mustang , Chevy Camero , Dodge Challenger ,BMW M3 ,Panos , Porche , Ferrari , and Lambo? GT2 :Chevy Corvette , Mazaratti , Ford GT , the DB9's , Dodge Vipers , Bugatti , Hell any thing . P1 I would like to see restored to the fastest class more factory backed cars only having to worry about P2 cars on small tracks and city streets. P1: Audi , a Porsche RS coupe , Acura , and an American maker like Chevy , P2: More privateers , like Dison , and Highcroft ,ect. in RS spiders , Lolas , Courage , Etc.

ZzZzZz
6th December 2007, 23:21
The ACO has addressed the P1/P2 problem by adding 50 kg to the P2 cars for '08. The P1 class should be faster, as the top prototype class. This move is good for the long-term health of the series.

IMSA is considering whether or not to incorporate these rules, and Audi is considering leaving if they don't.

Duh! When Porsche came into P2, they were originally planning to eventually move Penske up to P1 and sell customer cars for P2. The factory (Penske) team remaining in P2 is inhibiting the existence of P2 customer teams. The one customer, Dyson, is likely to cut back to one car for '08. Penske is only staying in P2 because they have the "unfair advantage" there and are able to win regularly. Change the rules and they'll be in P1. So will one or two Acura teams. They want overall wins. Then privateers, in good number, will be able to justify entering P2.

We shouldn't be looking at losing both Audis and a Porsche. We should be growing the field.

It's probably too late for Porsche or Acura to put forward a serious P1 challenge for '08, so the main goals should be to keep Audi in the series, and effect the corporate strategy of Porsche and Acura for '09. That allows for a compromise for '08, such as adding 25 kg for races before Le Mans and the full 50 kg after. You don't want to piss off Porsche and Acura unnecessarily, but there should be no long-term compromise.

samehere
13th December 2007, 15:40
only in P1, the P2's still get to bet open at least :D

whats wrong with P1 and P2 to be open??I liked it the old way (2000-2002) when bentely EXP8 was on the track but I would not ban all the open top P1 cars they are now a strong part of prototype racing...I read something on the EI about the rule changes for 2010 but if it is true then it will be really sad...the P1 open cars will all go and the privateers as pescarolo maybe too if they don not find someone to sell them a closed car as henry constructed its own open car just a year ago and in three years time he will need to construct a new one that too much for private teams...and I do not think we will see so many factory teams to enter P1 in the future...ACO is wrong in this way.