PDA

View Full Version : F3 Take 3 - euro series - Oulton Park

real_illusions
30th August 2007, 17:02
We're off to the Chesire circuit in England for another insane dose of F3 action!

Starting this round a bit early as i'm a bit busy in the next few days..so might as well post this up early rather than late!

Race 1 is an open round - Free setups and qualifying. For race 2, the handicaps are as follows.:

Positions 1, 2 and 3 - default settings and start at the back of the grid.
(Adam, Johnny and Piotr).
Positions 4 and 5 - default settings, except the gears and downforce which are free, and start in the middle.
(Tannt and CCFanatic).
Positions 6 and 7 - default settings except gears and downforce which are free and start at the front.
(R_Illusions and Penske_ALMS).

Anyone else who wishes to participate, then speak now (or forever hold your peace) and i shall issue you with appropiate handicaps!

Car Settings - See above.
AI - Hard
Free practise
Corner cutting - off (but at least 2 wheels on the black stuff at all times, unless you crash or decide to run some spectators over...)
Careless driving - off
Flags - on
Restarts - only upto the end of lap 2 of each race

Race 1 - 3 laps. No pit stops. A sprint to the finish.

Race 2 - 7 laps with compulsory pitstop where you must stop and change tyres. Any damage you want to repair is optional.

Times to be submitted to me no later than September 12th at midnight (ish) british time.

Race 1 - QT, FL and RT.
Race 2 - FL and RT.

Have fun!

johnny shell
30th August 2007, 17:17
thanks for giving us two laps to restart this time - that'll give us a chance to work up through the field at least!

couldn't even imagine working up through the field with no restarts to fall back on! talk about mixing things up, that would.

seems I've run in the 1:04's with free set up, and the 1:06's in default.....

real_illusions
30th August 2007, 17:19
ok, just for Johnny - no restarts at all ;) :p

only joking ;)

tannat
30th August 2007, 20:57
YUK! Hate this circuit with tht ridiculous bump at the chicane.

At least we can adjust df to rid our chassis of some understeer..

CCFanatic
30th August 2007, 21:01
This race is going to be tough. Haven't run the circuit since the test. Team Principle Ron Dennis is looking out very quick after the situation at Zandvoort. The whole team is crumbling apart. Lost our main sponsor so funding might keep me from starts. Our engineer went back to Raikkonen's team over the Zandvoort situation, so setups are going to be bad. Our new Dallara chassis was just repoed was well as the two new Mugen-Honda engines that were still in the crate. Sad day for the Team Racing squad. Hope to contend for a top 5 though.

Pawprint
6th September 2007, 21:45
Can someone please explain about all the restart rules and such. Is it all dependant on trus and honesty?

Half Pike Motorsport have teamed up with Land Shark to enter a privatear team running one car, which has been confimed by the team in a public statement today, to be driven by Iain Johnson. With his curent WRC campainge in doubt after the new season's rules and car changes, he has entered into a few DTM events supported by Half Pike to raise funds for next years WRC programme, before getting back on track in 2 season's time, and sees the F3 series as a great opportunity to get involved in more racing.

"It is a cheap, easy-to-run series, with some great racing. The car feals great, event better than the Opel (DTM) we are driving right now, and is very easy to adjust to and get to grips with. Im looking forward to the first race in Oulton in a weeks time. This season's WRC is in shatters for me, but it seems things will be much better in 2 season's time, so Im going to sit it out until then. Hopefully the F3 series will be as much of a success as the past WRC racing."

real_illusions
6th September 2007, 22:44
Can someone please explain about all the restart rules and such. Is it all dependant on trus and honesty?[/i]

Basically - yes

Welcome aboard!

:)

johnny shell
7th September 2007, 14:34
Basically - yes

that's not entirely true

I have an uncle who works for the CIA, and, using the post-9/11 Patriot Act he has been able to implant monitoring devices in everyone's CPUs that can monitor your actions.

Of course, should you break the rules then fail to accurately report it to us, we won't be able to legally bring charges against you.

However, you will be brought to a military base in Cuba will you will be detained 50-60 years for "questioning".

real_illusions
7th September 2007, 15:53
hehe..thats if you use a PC..but my PC and ps2 were brought before the 9/11 events ;)

johnny shell
7th September 2007, 16:07
your PS2 still has something similiar to a CPU. and there's ways of tapping into it.

oh beleive me, there's ways.

we shouldn't say much more though. we've already used certain trigger words that have placed this forum, and all of us, on a List.

but anyway, just run your races fairly and honestly and there won't be any problems, k? :D

real_illusions
7th September 2007, 16:30
im probably already on plenty of lists..insanity lists, mental health insitute lists, shopping lists etc etc..

johnny shell
7th September 2007, 16:36
you're on someone's shopping list? probably somewhere above cookies but below Q Tips, I would imagine.......

real_illusions
7th September 2007, 16:37
i'm not as important as the cookies :(

hang on a minute..aren't we going slightly off topic? on 2nd thoughts..nah..we're not..lets carry on..

Now..where did i put those large inflatable furry orange giraffes...

Pawprint
7th September 2007, 16:39
lol. Ill probs be last anway :D

johnny shell
7th September 2007, 16:44
sorry, I should have put my shopping list in metric - here, we put the more important stuff on the top of the list.

so, I had you listed as more important that cookies. but less important than Q-Tips.

which, I'm sure you would agree with!

I'm not going to touch your furry aminal comment! I'll leave that for someone else. JB or tannat maybe.

real_illusions
7th September 2007, 16:48
sorry, I should have put my shopping list in metric - here, we put the more important stuff on the top of the list.

so, I had you listed as more important that cookies. but less important than Q-Tips.

which, I'm sure you would agree with!

I'm not going to touch your furry aminal comment! I'll leave that for someone else. JB or tannat maybe.

hehe..no worries..as for the animals..for JB only - i am not in any way welsh before anyone says anything ;)

tannat
7th September 2007, 18:02

I always let r_i have the last word.. :D

Pawprint
8th September 2007, 09:44
What is classed as a quick lap round here?

PiotrB
8th September 2007, 12:37
What is classed as a quick lap round here?
1'02 in qualifying (Time Trail mode) and in sprint race with good setup. I'm not sure about default setup but I think that 1' 03/ 1' 04 will be possible. I try do do my races tommorow.

Pawprint
8th September 2007, 12:53
With turbo? Coz I can only get 1:14 if I RAELLY try.

PiotrB
8th September 2007, 14:19
With turbo? Coz I can only get 1:14 if I RAELLY try.
No, you just need wheel or a pad adjusted as a wheel (PC only).

Pawprint
8th September 2007, 16:08
I use a wheel, but the most I could see anyone getting would be 1:10 tops. How do you do a 1:02?!!!!!

Can someone post a vid or something?

johnny shell
12th September 2007, 19:17
I'll run my races tonight... I see the deadline has approached!

real_illusions
12th September 2007, 19:28
Drove the real oulton park today. Was great fun.

The hills and dips are alot steeper than on the game, the banking is tighter, the chicane just after that has no horrible bump (but the curbs are horrible in that chicane. The chicane after is alot tighter, and the exit just after that (the right hand corner) is also off camber and a blind apex as you turn in. Druids (just after the avon bridge) is alot quicker and also not as flat (gradient wise) than on the game, and the bridge down the back straight is also quite low. That straight is also very hilly, very up and down.

Not thats going to help anyone, partly as i was driving my elise and not an f3 car, and also almost everyone has done their races.

johnny shell
12th September 2007, 19:38
well, you're right - it doesn't help me one damn bit.

But I think it's cool as **** and I can't believe you got to drive a lotus around - wait a minute, YOU have a lotus elise???

how freakin' cool is that

real_illusions
12th September 2007, 20:16
well, you're right - it doesn't help me one damn bit.

But I think it's cool as **** and I can't believe you got to drive a lotus around - wait a minute, YOU have a lotus elise???

how freakin' cool is that

hehe..i do indeed have a lotus elise

;)

tannat
12th September 2007, 20:27
hehe..i do indeed have a lotus elise

;)

I believe I am going to take up photography!

Glad to hear those long hours are paying off, r_i!

You could post a photo of it, you know.

BRG I hope....

johnny shell
12th September 2007, 20:36
I believe I am going to take up photography!

Glad to hear those long hours are paying off, r_i!

and web design. don't forget web design. and maybe work a few track days here & there too.

sounds like a good life though, doesn't it????

real_illusions
12th September 2007, 21:44
and web design. don't forget web design. and maybe work a few track days here & there too.

sounds like a good life though, doesn't it????

i dont get paid THAT much ;) A lotus is relatively cheap nowadays. You can pick a decent one up for under £10k.

tannat
12th September 2007, 21:53
i dont get paid THAT much ;) A lotus is relatively cheap nowadays. You can pick a decent one up for under £10k.

I forget they've been on the market for awhile abroad..

Only recently have they become available in the colonies. I read the numbers on it and went into total shock:

It weighs under a ton, it weighs under a ton, it weighs under a ton.......

Colin Chapman had it right :up:

johnny shell
12th September 2007, 21:56
You can pick a decent one up for under £10k.

I don't know how much that is, but y'all's little dollar sign thingy sure is cute :up:

tannat
12th September 2007, 22:03
I don't know how much that is, but y'all's little dollar sign thingy sure is cute :up:

Bout 20 large in our land, JS....
Helluva deal....

Pawprint
12th September 2007, 22:11
So whens our deadline?

real_illusions
12th September 2007, 22:40
yeah..weighs in at about 750kg, 118bhp, 1.8litre engine. Touted as the best handling car in the world. And yet still get over 30mpg in fuel, go on a short holiday in it, and out accelerate almost anything at the lights thats on the roads..such as those stupid boy racers with so much body kit, the car weighs about the same as a pregnant hippo..

Anyway..deadline is tonight! About an hour and a half. Although i wont publish the results till tomorow..so..maybe 12 hours max

johnny shell
13th September 2007, 17:35
got mine done, sending them to you now!

real_illusions
13th September 2007, 18:19
Still waiting on Adam's and Pawprints times...if they're competing?

I'll give them till midnight tonight (about 6 hours from posting) to show up, or i'll presume they're not racing. And post up the results etc..

johnny shell
13th September 2007, 20:07
haven't heard a peep out of sloma this round, but I was sure expecting pawprint to put up some times.....

the car weighs about the same as a pregnant hippo..

ahhhhh yeah. the lovely pregnant hippopotamus, or Hippopotamus amphibius (from the Greek ‘ιπποπόταμος...hippopotamos, hippos meaning "horse" and potamos meaning "river").

that's put your car's weight into perfect perspective.

my mustang convertible, on the other hand, weighs about as much as the carbon dioxide that the average american household's air conditioner pumps out in one year.

real_illusions
14th September 2007, 00:20
Here we are at Oulton Park. PiotrB leads the way, and leaps to the top of the standings. Johnny somehow falls behind myself in race 1 despite the big difference in lap times. (what happened there johnny?). Johnny takes a double podium, and CCfanatic takes another podium in race 2. Tannat takes a pair of 5ths in a quiet weekend, but Penske manages to crash into the pitwall in race 2. Dunno how you can miss it, its kinda big and wall like ;) :p

Race 1 Qualify
PiotrB - 1:01.97
Johnny Shell - 1:04.57
CCFanatic - 1:07.01
R_illusions - 1:10.18
Penske_ALMS - 1:12.37
Tannat - 1:12.44

Race 1

PiotrB - 3:13.48 (1:03.04) - 10
R_Illusions - 3:32.01 (1:09.39) - 8
Johnny Shell - 3:32.36 (1:05.30) - 6
CCFanatic - 3:36.62 (??) - 5
Tannat - 3:41.00 (1:12.30) - 4
Penske_ALMS - 3:44.96 (1:12.98) - 3

Race 2
PiotrB - 8:19.21 - (1:04.13) - 10
CCFanatic - 8:25.71 (??) - 8
Johnny Shell - 8:44.71 (1:07.25) - 6
R_illusions - 8:52.11 (1:11.03) - 5
Tannat - 9:08.56 (1:11.62) - 4
Penske_ALMS - DNF - crashed out. (1:13.68) - 3

1. PiotrB - 40
2. Johnny Shell - 39
3. Adam Sloma - 36
4. CCFanatic - 32
5. R_Illusions - 29
6. Tannat - 25
7. Penske_ALMS - 19

Next round is the Norisring. Where Johnny and Tannat claim i have some sort of mystic connection to this place...

Details to be released in the next couple of days.

CCFanatic
14th September 2007, 00:28
Woohoo! {sprays champaigne over Piotr and Johnny}.

In the post race, press confrence:
"Had a great weekend. umm... Ron has been in trouble in F1 and was not at the track, so everything we had done was more work. The car wasn't the best, but srill better than the car we had at Zandvoort. Hopefully, Ron can get all his mess sorted by the next race, as I think him being there can put us over the top and get the first win. And with only 8 points behind in a close championship, I feel, we can improve and hopefully challenge."

On Norisring, "The race will be difficult. Raced in DTM here earlier in the season, and struggled to post very good times. Hopefully, the car can be up to speed, if Ron(Dennis) cannot come."

{They CCFanatic leaves the room and heads to the closest bar, where he meets up with friend Kimi Raikkonen get wasted and tour the local strip clubs.}

Penske_ALMS
14th September 2007, 00:56
Went to pit during the second race on lap 5 and misjudged where the pit lane divider was. Ooops. Oh well. Like it would of made any difference anyways. ;) Was "probably" going just a wee too fast... :o :D

johnny shell
14th September 2007, 13:08
{They CCFanatic leaves the room and heads to the closest bar, where he meets up with friend Kimi Raikkonen get wasted and tour the local strip clubs.}

hey, that's the first time I've ever been sprayed with champaign. fun! congrads on the podium ccfanatic!

can I hit the clubs with ya?

re: pit entry - I loved the pit entry here. you could pretty much hit it full speed it seemed. didn't try to though thanks to the no restart rule! :laugh:

I sent my time in for the first race wrong - should have typed 3:23.36. my fault.

real_illusions
14th September 2007, 14:04
Ah..ok..no worries Johnny!

As for the pits - the dip before you come over the hill, you can feel the compression in real life going round there in a road car..so, it must be double that in a race car. Really weird sensation.

Updated results/standings:

PiotrB - 3:13.48 (1:03.04) - 10
Johnny Shell - 3:23.36 (1:05.30) - 8
R_Illusions - 3:32.01 (1:09.39) - 6
CCFanatic - 3:36.62 (??) - 5
Tannat - 3:41.00 (1:12.30) - 4
Penske_ALMS - 3:44.96 (1:12.98) - 3

1. Johnny Shell - 41
2. PiotrB - 40
3. Adam Sloma - 36
4. CCFanatic - 32
5. R_Illusions - 27
6. Tannat - 25
7. Penske_ALMS - 19

Important typo there Johnny ;) You hold the lead but only just!

johnny shell
14th September 2007, 14:10
Important typo there Johnny ;) You hold the lead but only just!

yeah, I'll be sure to enjoy it while it lasts! that is - until the next round that a Pole competes in! :laugh:

how about Lodge? how's that in real life? that things a bitch in the game.... it's so easy to spin out there, the way the suspension unloads cresting the hill.

johnny shell
14th September 2007, 14:16
(oh yeah, and guess what absolutely incredible Belgain circuit is coming up after Norisring? :love :)

real_illusions
14th September 2007, 15:13
yeah, I'll be sure to enjoy it while it lasts! that is - until the next round that a Pole competes in! :laugh:

how about Lodge? how's that in real life? that things a bitch in the game.... it's so easy to spin out there, the way the suspension unloads cresting the hill.

Lodge, the corner before the compression, Not that difficult. Slower than you think, the exit is blind as you go over the brow of the hill into the dip.

The double apexed corner before that, druids, is alot trickier. You actually miss the first apex, if you do hit the curb or the inside of the first bit, then your going to park it in the barriers. It requires commitment to take it fast, you need to accelerate through the 2nd apex, its faster than you originally think. And theres a dip in the middle, its gradient isn't flat like on the game. The trees and barriers are very close, which can cause problems in the wet, as that corner stays wet where the rest of the circuit can be dry.

Casscades is quite scary (the 2nd corner on the lap), its downhill braking and the both the turn in and apex are alot later than you think. Very easy to spin out there if you brake too late.

johnny shell
14th September 2007, 15:23
I noticed in one place.... I forgot where it was.... that the barrier comes out quite close to the track - because there's a tree there that they don't want to cut down!

so the barrier comes out around the tree, to within a few feet of the track!

when I saw that I thought of you & your Lotus. and I hoped that you were very careful there, since you get NO 'restarts' at all.

Adam Sloma
14th September 2007, 22:02
Don't have time to do this races. I found 45 min to DTM in Sunday evening, but all week was very busy (wednesday and thursday, work from 7AM to 9PM:mad :)

Pawprint
14th September 2007, 22:27
ah bugger, i ust didnt have time... :(

btw, can someone please get a video of a 1:02 lap - I mean, unless we are doing a different track, I see absolutly NO possibiloity of shaving 10 seconds off my best lap time.

PiotrB
15th September 2007, 12:57
I try to record my lap but be patient.

johnny shell
15th September 2007, 16:22
piotr has posted some laps before - it's awesome. look in the DTM Spa thread for example.... and others. it's like watching F1 in-car video... so smooth... go watch one, then think about what your own laps look like.

then you'll see how a 1:02 is possible. it's easy - or at least he make is look that way! :laugh:

PiotrB
15th September 2007, 19:27
piotr has posted some laps before - it's awesome. look in the DTM Spa thread for example.... and others. it's like watching F1 in-car video... so smooth... go watch one, then think about what your own laps look like.

then you'll see how a 1:02 is possible. it's easy - or at least he make is look that way! :laugh:
Thank you Johnny Shell. Well I always want to drive as smooth as possible and I love to watch onboard camera in F1. You can learn how do drive good in ToCA.

Here is my DTM at Spa video (sorry for a poor quality):

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=U6e9iQPfXlE

I also have a lot of telemetry data from my lap records (F3 on Oulton Park - 1:01.97).

Adam Sloma
15th September 2007, 20:28
I also have a lot of telemetry data from my lap records (F3 on Oulton Park - 1:01.97).

I'm just behind you - 1:02.01. And I don't use 1st gear.

PiotrB
15th September 2007, 21:30
I'm just behind you - 1:02.01. And I don't use 1st gear.
Nice. I also don't use 1st gear in this track in F3 car.

Adam Sloma
22nd September 2007, 08:44
1:01.43 - Now you must use the 1st gear :) .

Johnny, who told you, that Sasha went the dry road?

Adam Sloma
22nd September 2007, 08:45
1:01.43 - Now you must use the 1st gear.

Johnny, who told you, that Sasha went the dry road?

PiotrB
22nd September 2007, 10:48
Nice time Adam ! Looks like that you find really good transmission setup for this track.

I told Johnny that Sasha went the dry road.

PiotrB
22nd September 2007, 16:52
1:01.41 on Oulton Park with my new setup. I changed gears and downforce.